PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki ZX7RR ride impression

James Deuce
22nd March 2008, 21:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSBSzCJPLfo
*thank you whoever shared this. I can assure you that a ZX7RR can use its keys to best effect*

This ain't a girls bike.

This is how I remember sprotsbikes.

Close ratio box, rock hard suspension, racy but not crippling ergonomics, and in the best exhaust note ever.

Flatslide carbs that stumble and stutter, steering that needs muscle and body english to work and a fairing that leaves your arms out in the wind so there's no pressure on your wrists.

It cost Mikkel the better part of nothing.

Mikkel's not getting it back.

Sure a modern 600 is quicker, but what 600 would sidle over in a bike park, and smash the living bejesus out of the panty waisted usurper that went around the outside on a long sweeper and flicked into the next hairpin with barely a push on the inside bar, while the unshaven beer gutted headcase on the green meanie wrestled and scrapped to get every ounce of lean angle possible?

Fatso and panty waist park up for a coffee. Fatso gets on his roaring, belching, farting SUPERBIKE and rides off to shag the next female barista he encounters, while panty waist stares in dismay at the pile of rubble that was once a pristine and be-blinged example of modern industrial art. With green and purple streaks on what ever blue and white panels are still visible.

Adjustable eccentric steering head? No, just mental.

Mikkel
22nd March 2008, 23:18
Glad you liked it Jim! :yes:

However, I do think your family would appreciate it if you don't hold on to it for too long old man! ;)
Weather looks alright for tomorrow. I hope you will enjoy the ride over the Rimutakas. Just remember the restriction I imposed upon you!

Oh, and thanks for the chat and the coffee. And don't forget - I now know where you live :devil2: (And I am quite envious of your extended driveway... :yes:)

n0regret5
22nd March 2008, 23:57
that video was FUCKING GREAT!!
i nearly bought an RR..

Gremlin
23rd March 2008, 01:29
I stopped short of the RR, but I did own a modded R. Never needed a steering damper and I loved provoking it into tank slappers.

Bit of a heavy bike, and you really noticed the weight going into downhill corners, but coming out of corners, you simply jumped on the gas. Great bikes, really made you learn how to ride, and the front ends were some of the best ever.

Heh, mine (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-141916107.htm) was recently being sold again...

El Dopa
23rd March 2008, 08:52
So this is the dual-purpose bike you've been saving up for?

James Deuce
23rd March 2008, 08:54
Nah, it's Mikkel's. I'm dropping it at Biketranz tomorrow.

Maybe.

El Dopa
23rd March 2008, 09:16
Yeah, I got that it was Mikkel's.

I just found it amusing that you're selling the Katana so you can start 'saving up for a dual-purpose bike', but one sniff of an unashamed 'ooligan weapon and you're waxing lyrical and getting a certain look in your eye......

Drew
23rd March 2008, 09:21
Yep, and when Suzuki had a crack at what you call a "real sports bike", the TL got poo pooed and labeled a shit handling bike.

There's no room for what you want in modern bikes according to the masses Jim, live in the now.

I'm with you, my FZR is still the most fun over the rimutaka hill I've had. And TL's are the shiz.

MSTRS
23rd March 2008, 09:47
Yes, Jim, you are right, a set of keys in your hand and a willingness to use them....life is good!

yungatart
23rd March 2008, 10:37
Yes, Jim, you are right, a set of keys in your hand and a willingness to use them....life is good!

I reckon we can convert this one, Jim.
Must say, my gargre looked real good with three kawasakis in it....especially as one didn't even notice the gixxer and the Honda sulking in the corner!

MSTRS
23rd March 2008, 10:46
I reckon we can convert this one, Jim.
Must say, my gargre looked real good with three kawasakis in it....especially as one didn't even notice the gixxer and the Honda sulking in the corner!

Nah...can't convert somebody who is not convinced in the first place....
call me a bike slut, I don't care what name is on the bike. If it does it for me I'll ride it!

Fatjim
23rd March 2008, 11:01
Yep, and when Suzuki had a crack at what you call a "real sports bike", the TL got poo pooed and labeled a shit handling bike.

There's no room for what you want in modern bikes according to the masses Jim, live in the now.

I'm with you, my FZR is still the most fun over the rimutaka hill I've had. And TL's are the shiz.

The fact is that any bike you can ring the tits off and walk away from is the shiz.

The Shiz is relative to skill. For me it's an A100.

yungatart
23rd March 2008, 11:06
The fact is that any bike you can ring the tits off and walk away from is the shiz.

The Shiz is relative to skill. For me it's an A100.

And MikeyG's GN 250....they are both Suzukis ..are you trying to tell us something?

Coyote
23rd March 2008, 11:24
The ZX7 and TLR1000 are bikes I'm interesting in upgrading to. Seem like the cheapest power I can obtain, and hopefully insurance on something older won't leave my coughing up blood. Plus a bike mag that was given to me (some British one) was raving on about how bullet proof the ZX7's are.

Though I've been screwed over by old, cult status bikes before...

Yet to test ride them though, will do when I get a chance. Currently eyeing up a TRX850 at Motomart as my next test.

MSTRS
23rd March 2008, 11:41
Coyote...unless you strike it lucky, chances are the biggest bang for buck you will find would be an RF900 or it's older cousin the 89/90/91 GXSR1100.
The TRX850 is an awesome bike too...under-rated when new, they are hard to find in good condition these days.

Coyote
23rd March 2008, 13:56
Coyote...unless you strike it lucky, chances are the biggest bang for buck you will find would be an RF900 or it's older cousin the 89/90/91 GXSR1100.
The TRX850 is an awesome bike too...under-rated when new, they are hard to find in good condition these days.
GSXR1100 has also interested me lately. Seen a few on trademe around the 6k mark. Also keen on the 750 like yours. TRX's don't seem too uncommon.

Seeing how well Riffer's RF goes tempts me into wanting one, but they don't really catch my interest.

Still pretty sure I'm getting a scooter followed by an XR650 when funds allow.

The Pastor
23rd March 2008, 14:15
THe zxrRR, only 500 were built?

Morcs
23rd March 2008, 14:16
I am a huge fan of the 7. My favourite kawasaki by a long way.

Its almost as subtle as a heart attack.

James Deuce
23rd March 2008, 17:36
THe zxrRR, only 500 were built?

That's the one and it's a fookin' nutter bike!

I've just come back from my first hooligan ride in ages.

I downloaded the manual, set the suspension to stock and put air in the tyres.

What a difference! It turns! It steers! It holds a line! It can CHANGE lines!

2mm more preload at the rear and the front and rear were behaving in unison. Still a bit choppy but a billion times better than the random settings the previous owner had dialed in. Get this. 21 clicks of compression on the rear. No rebound. None. It stuttered worse than Michael Palin in A Fish Called Wanda. Only 2 clicks of rebound on the front. Hit a big bump mid corner and it would gently wallow. After dialling the new settings in I hit a couple of big dips cranked over and it just ate it up. Having said that if I'd made the same sort of wholesale changes on an Ohlins equipped bike it would be a different kettle of fish altogether. Almost a parallel universe.

The rear tyre really showed evidence of there being no rebound damping with a big lip on the trailing edge of the major tread grooves (Michelin Pilot Powers - really nice) and the front edge wearing down. Giving it more rebound gave it a slight lip on the leading edge, so I could probably do a bit better but I don't have time. It leaves tomorrow! Waaaah. :crybaby:

That ENGINE! Flatslide carbs FTW. These are set up nicely and anyone with a tiny amount of skill can ride around the fluffy fuelling under 3k rpm. The clutch on the other hand gets an absolute flailing, thanks to that close ratio box and 130km/hr first gear. Get it over 5k rpm and it's all on, (not R1 or GSXR1000 on but anyone can ride one of THOSE) right the way to redline. There's a weird resonance from the intake too which makes it sound like Noriyuki Haga is about to ride up alongside, punch you in the head and hit the kill switch for riding his bike like a pussy. I want one of those engines for my Zed. Sob.

Bugger spending megabucks on a new GSXR600, get one of these and grow some hair on your balls.

The Pastor
23rd March 2008, 17:43
That's the one and it's a fookin' nutter bike!

I've just come back from my first hooligan ride in ages.

I downloaded the manual, set the suspension to stock and put air in the tyres.

What a difference! It turns! It steers! It holds a line! It can CHANGE lines!

2mm more preload at the rear and the front and rear were behaving in unison. Still a bit choppy but a billion times better than the random settings the previous owner had dialed in. Get this. 21 clicks of compression on the rear. No rebound. None. It stuttered worse than Michael Palin in A Fish Called Wanda. Only 2 clicks of rebound on the front. Hit a big bump mid corner and it would gently wallow. After dialling the new settings in I hit a couple of big dips cranked over and it just ate it up. Having said that if I'd made the same sort of wholesale changes on an Ohlins equipped bike it would be a different kettle of fish altogether. Almost a parallel universe.

The rear tyre really showed evidence of there being no rebound damping with a big lip on the trailing edge of the major tread grooves (Michelin Pilot Powers - really nice) and the front edge wearing down. Giving it more rebound gave it a slight lip on the leading edge, so I could probably do a bit better but I don't have time. It leaves tomorrow! Waaaah. :crybaby:

That ENGINE! Flatslide carbs FTW. These are set up nicely and anyone with a tiny amount of skill can ride around the fluffy fuelling under 3k rpm. The clutch on the other hand gets and absolute flailing. Get it over 5k rpm and it's all on, not R1 or GSXR1000 on but anyone can ride one of THOSE, right the way to redline. There's a weird resonance from the intake too which makes it sound like Noriyuki Haga is about to ride up alongside, punch you in the head and hit the kill switch for riding his bike like a pussy. I want one of those engines for my Zed. Sob.

Bugger spending megabucks on a new GSXR600, get one of these and grow some hair on your balls.
Hang on you bought a zx7RR one of only 500? Where the hell did you get it from? Must of cost a mint, how much was it?

James Deuce
23rd March 2008, 17:47
It's not mine it's Mikkel's and it was practically free.

yungatart
23rd March 2008, 17:47

I guess I'll never be riding one of those then....
Glad you enjoyed it tho...

James Deuce
23rd March 2008, 17:49
I guess I'll never be riding one of those then....
Glad you enjoyed it tho...
Man bike only.

Not girl bike.

Get to kitchen.

Make me eggs.

Ugh.

yungatart
23rd March 2008, 17:52
Man bike only.

Not girl bike.

Get to kitchen.

Make me eggs.

Ugh.

Blardy hell, man!
I don't do eggs!
I can cook plenty, but not eggs...unless you want them with a side of vomit??
Tis ok, I'm quite happy with my EX and The Mighty Spada..don't need your whatever it is, green and purple thing.....

RT527
23rd March 2008, 17:58
Blardy hell, man!
I don't do eggs!
I can cook plenty, but not eggs...unless you want them with a side of vomit??
Tis ok, I'm quite happy with my EX and The Mighty Spada..don't need your whatever it is, green and purple thing.....

Shit she even has the cheek to answer back , Quick someone get over there quick smart and shorten the chain, shes obviously got too much length , so she can reach the Keyboard! :whistle::dodge::eek5:

MSTRS
23rd March 2008, 17:59
...don't need ....

Need? Who said anything about 'need'? Nobody actually needs a fuckoffnutterbike...
Want...now that's a different story.

Mikkel
24th March 2008, 19:37
Nothing to do now but :wait:

I am so looking forward to getting it down here. First thing I'm giving it a *full* service and having the valve clearances checked. There was no obtainable service history, so with 47,000 kms on the clock it makes sense to have it gone over thoroughly.

Having had the pleasure of sitting behind the mean greenie for a good number of kms I have a very good appreciation of the noise it makes. I'm so itching to get on it and having a go! :yes:

Thanks to MSTRS and Jim2 - you guys are the best. Made this whole thing a lot easier for me! :niceone:

Wheeliemonsta
25th March 2008, 07:45
Gidday All,
Just while the old girls are getting a bit of airtime...

If anyone has an 89 H-1 model, or parts there of kicking around in the garage, looking for a new home let me know... (Condition is immaterial, within reason)

I'm very keen to build one up as a Pre 89 race bike

Chassis # needs to be ZX750H-015000 or below

Cheers

:rockon:

Drew
25th March 2008, 15:06
I'm very keen to build one up as a Pre 89 race bike

Chassis # needs to be ZX750H-015000 or below

Cheers

Is that to keep to the rules of post classics, or your own preference? I ask because if there were no big changes post '89, then it will still qualify.

Some of the bikes racing in that class, are well fettled, 17" wheels, Ohlins suspension, and a couple burning methanol even, (real dissapointing like, when ya come out of a sweeper on a newer bike and then watch 'em fuck off down the straight:crybaby:)

Wheeliemonsta
25th March 2008, 15:27
Is that to keep to the rules of post classics, or your own preference? I ask because if there were no big changes post '89, then it will still qualify.

Some of the bikes racing in that class, are well fettled, 17" wheels, Ohlins suspension, and a couple burning methanol even, (real dissapointing like, when ya come out of a sweeper on a newer bike and then watch 'em fuck off down the straight:crybaby:)

Gidday Drew,
The H-1 is the only model thats eligable for the class, the H-2 was built in the 1990 model year so therefore shouldn't be running in "Pre 89"

Cheers

Drew
25th March 2008, 15:28
Gidday Drew,
The H-1 is the only model thats eligable for the class, the H-2 was built in the 1990 model year so therefore shouldn't be running in "Pre 89"

Cheers

Sweet, good luck, and hopefully see ya at the track.

Morcs
25th March 2008, 17:50
The ZX7 and TLR1000 are bikes I'm interesting in upgrading to. Seem like the cheapest power I can obtain, and hopefully insurance on something older won't leave my coughing up blood. Plus a bike mag that was given to me (some British one) was raving on about how bullet proof the ZX7's are.

Though I've been screwed over by old, cult status bikes before...

Yet to test ride them though, will do when I get a chance. Currently eyeing up a TRX850 at Motomart as my next test.

A TL over a ZX7
A TLS over a TLR.

TRXs are fucking beeeautiful, buy they are problem prone, and parts are very hard to get hold of (or expensive)

I hope this helps.

Drew
25th March 2008, 17:54
A TL over a ZX7 I think the oposite is better.

A TLS over a TLR. Without question.

TRXs are fucking beeeautiful, buy they are problem prone, and parts are very hard to get hold of (or expensive)

I hope this helps.

I understood them to be underpowered and kinda Honda/ish in power delivery, (boring like).

Can see this wont help.:done:

Coyote
25th March 2008, 17:57
A TL over a ZX7
A TLS over a TLR.

I hope this helps.
Mate of mine from my old work said the TLS is better than a TLR. Or better yet, a TLR motor in a TLS. Pity my preference in style goes ZX7>TLR>TLS :p

Pity about the TRX. Don't need another project at this time.

Churs :2thumbsup

James Deuce
25th March 2008, 17:58
I understood them to be underpowered and kinda Honda/ish in power delivery, (boring like).

Can see this wont help.:done:

Underpowerd? Maybe? Boring? Fuck off! Revlimiter seeking missile. Pity Stonechucker isn't here to back up my claims of going around the outside with the TRX sounding broken thanks to that Japanese market speed limiter. Could have done with another gear.

jrandom
25th March 2008, 17:59
I am a huge fan of the 7. My favourite kawasaki by a long way.

What he said.

:love:

And well bloody done to Mikkel for finding an RR!

Pending my next visit to Christchurch, I shall now commence Operation Suckup.

James Deuce
25th March 2008, 18:03
He paid nothing for it. Bastard.

Deviant Esq
25th March 2008, 18:08
I've also joined the Kawasaki stable... though not with an RR, I'm not unhappy with my purchase ;)

Mikkel... are you coming to the ride tomorrow night? You can see my new steed if you come along... :D

MSTRS
25th March 2008, 18:12

Your eyes are a lovely shade of Kawasaki Green, Jim...
I so want another ride now that the suspension is doing what it is supposed to. You didn't keep it by any chance did you, mate?
Thank goodness for Gixxers...

Batcerb
25th March 2008, 20:55
Sold my ZX7R for a TLS.

It was nice for a while, but a big mistake in the end - for me anyway.
Only thing the TL had over the mighty mighty 7 was a tad more comfort as far as the placement of the bars.

Emotional connection between man and machine counts for alot :o

Im not crazy ...

Mikkel
25th March 2008, 22:21
What he said.

:love:

And well bloody done to Mikkel for finding an RR!

Pending my next visit to Christchurch, I shall now commence Operation Suckup.

You never call me anymore... If you start now I can't help it's the bike you want ;)

Give us an email if business takes you down here - unlike Katman I'd be happy to go for a ride with you. As long as you bring some cake :yes:

That's true, it was my partners money :lol: (Bugger, I guess that's my money too in a way...)

And you're the lucky camper seeing as Biketranz failed miserably at getting their shit organised for this weeks truck going to Christchurch - so you'll be having it for a while longer. ...and I expect you to ride it!

And - the offer of a ferry and plane ticket still stands if your weekend allows it. It's a nice ride from Picton to Chch, but I guess you know that.

I've also joined the Kawasaki stable... though not with an RR, I'm not unhappy with my purchase ;)

Mikkel... are you coming to the ride tomorrow night? You can see my new steed if you come along... :D

I might - so far a bit undecided. I'm still a bit knackered after the weekend, put quite a few kilometers on the clock...

But good choice mate - Kawasaki FTW!

Your eyes are a lovely shade of Kawasaki Green, Jim...
I so want another ride now that the suspension is doing what it is supposed to. You didn't keep it by any chance did you, mate?
Thank goodness for Gixxers...

John, you have my number - you can come and try it out any time you want! Otherwise you'll have to wait until next time I do the Chch to Napier thing.

Mikkel
8th April 2008, 13:11
my big bike virginity today... :)

Currently at the track with OAB and have done 2 session and a grand total of 65 kms on the ZX7RR I am starting to go from OHHH FUCKING SHIT! To heeheeheehee :D

This is a lot of fun!

However, somehow I have managed to loose my sidestand during the 2nd session without even noticing... :(

Guess I have an excuse to go out there again and try to find it. Will write more later...

yungatart
8th April 2008, 13:15
Good stuff!
Pics???

SVboy
8th April 2008, 13:30
Be careful young fella-there is 3 250s packed in there!!!

MSTRS
8th April 2008, 14:17
Did you get it above 3rd gear....

Mikkel
8th April 2008, 19:24
So I am back home - shattered after having bonded with the mean greenie...

Sorry, didn't get any pics and I don't think OAB did either... Too busy trying to get my mind wrapped around the machine.

As I wrote in my last post, it was hellishly scary at first. The different riding position, weight and feel combined with about three times more power made my first session a shortish and slowish affair. Came into the pit area and couldn't wipe the grin from my face.

Second session was more of a heeheehee power corrupts thing - still slightly scary but even more fun than the first session. As I came into the pits I found that I had lost the sidestand which was a bit of a hassle. Fortunately I had brough a swingarm paddock stand along... :)

The last 3 sessions allowed me to gel a bit more with the bike and getting a feel for how she handles. At the end of the day I was getting to the point where I was comfortable enough with the power and feeling of the bike to begin looking at shifting my weight around. Alas, at that point I was too shattered to even consider it... so no knee-down action today (neither had I expected it :no:).

A couple of things I've picked up on today - the temperature gauge for the engine temperature is alive but doesn't give any read-outs which is a bit of a worry. The speedometer needs some attention - it behaves rather erratically, especially at higher speeds. I had her up to somewhere between 220 and 240 down the straight but it was hard to tell since the needle was bouncing all over the place - besides my focus was needed elsewhere ;)

I got a good opportunity to practice my clutchless up and down shifts - the clutch is very smooth but pretty firm... Combined with the amount of weight on my wrists I could hardly use my left hand to clutch in and out at the end of the day. Time to go back to the gym I reckon...

The brakes are a wholy different thing compared to the 250 - much much more powerful and much easier to graduate under heavy braking.

Throttle response is incredible - the flatslides are sharp as razors and the sound magnificient! :D

Seat and riding position are surprisingly comfortable - without having been on a post-2000 sportsbike I think I understand exactly what Jim2 meant by "racy but not crippling ergonomics"!

And hell yeah, I got it above 3rd - but not above 4th (at least not revved out) ;)

Coming out of a corner, getting on the throttle and feeling the rearwheel spin ever so slightly is a rather nice feeling I think I could get addicted to quite fast!

And thanks to the race car that spilled oil in one of my favorite corners - just what we needed...

onearmedbandit
8th April 2008, 20:25
Yip, was a good day out there, so engrossed we didn't even let the slight rain in one of the sessions faze us. No pics unfortunately, brought my vid camea out at the last minute and off course it was flat. I was following you at about 220km/h on my speedo, couple of times you would've been at about 230, I was lucky to see 260 myself. Loved the blue flames out the exhaust on the overrun too Mikkel, looked great. All in all a very nice machine, great score.

Mikkel
8th April 2008, 20:48
Yip, was a good day out there, so engrossed we didn't even let the slight rain in one of the sessions faze us. No pics unfortunately, brought my vid camea out at the last minute and off course it was flat. I was following you at about 220km/h on my speedo, couple of times you would've been at about 230, I was lucky to see 260 myself. Loved the blue flames out the exhaust on the overrun too Mikkel, looked great. All in all a very nice machine, great score.

Dunno how much I might be able to get her up to down the straight - I kinda started rolling off the throttle about midway. I haven't been going as fast as this before - at least not on a bike. But she still had plenty of go left at that point. Looking at the revs and the redline she should reach about 250-260 in 6th gear given a long enough piece of tarmac.

MSTRS
9th April 2008, 08:51
....heeheehee power corrupts thing....the clutch is very smooth but pretty firm... ....the flatslides are sharp as razors and the sound magnificient!...
Told you, didn't I? Now you can understand from the 'other side' - like when I gave you a little serve as I snicked into 2nd!! I thought the clutch and all felt great - you'll get used to the feel. And that sound...oooooo yeah

Loved the blue flames out the exhaust

Someone pass me a tissue....

Mikkel
15th April 2008, 23:00
... and it crashes well too :(

:bash:

"Slightly" gutted that it seems I don't learn from my mistakes! Almost same story as crash #1 - except this time the lock up was related to unsettling the bike while blipping the throttle on clutchless downshifts coming into the hairpin at Ruapuna. Got the bike back up with a hand from OAB and then rode it back to the pits in 1st gear.
At least it's only cosmetics, a gear shift lever and riding gear... :rolleyes:

Good stuff:
-It provided a good reason for stripping the bike down though and I've had an enjoyable evening doing that. Lots of dodgy electronics and stuff that needs doing properly - hooray new project. Also, I now know for certain that I'm not the first to throw her down on her left side...
-The rolling and tumbling wasn't scary I was just quietly thinking "You stupid fucking cunt!" as I slid, rolled and tumbled the better part of 50 meters down the track. And so far I'm not too sore - that's likely to change with a nights sleep though.
-I managed not to bang my head - so at least the helmet won't need replacing this time and my neck might not be too bad.
-Swingarm bobbins are a good thing.
-At least the crash wasn't due to being overwhelmed by the higher power.
-I was planning on fixing the fairings up anyway...

Bad stuff:
-Gear shift lever broken, clutch lever and barend rubber scratched.
-Lower left-hand fairing isn't just scratched, it's properly fucked and propably not repairable.
-I ordered frame sliders last night, too bad I didn't wait for them...
-I have glassfibre track fairings sitting at the shop, why were they not on the bike?
-Slightly put off by the facts that I had promised myself to take it easy (and I did - sorta) and that the crash is too much like the last one.

Bummer!

T.W.R
15th April 2008, 23:21
:shit: Bugger!

you laid a N1 down :spanking:

Thought for next time it's going though; to get the best out of one of these you have to ride them like a 2smoker! :niceone:

Mikkel
15th April 2008, 23:27
:shit: Bugger!

you laid a N1 down :spanking:

Thought for next time it's going though; to get the best out of one of these you have to ride them like a 2smoker! :niceone:

Yeah, I know - I do feel like an idiot...

However, ultimately she'll be better off for it! It's only cosmetics, it's running pretty damn sweet! And now I have a to-do list with stuff that'll improve it as well.

Don't know about the 2-smoker thing though... I haven't ridden one. But throttle control is pretty sensitive, not in a jerky way - more that it'll bog down if you aren't smooth rolling it on, especially at lower revs.

Anyway, I'll wait for the frame sliders and hope that when they get here I have the track fairings ready and sorted some of the loose ends out as well.

T.W.R
15th April 2008, 23:40
It's the nature of the best with them and that's what they were designed for being WSB holmoligen specials, most ended up in the hands of privateer racers back in their day.

OEM panels are exorbitantly expensive :sick:

bogging in lower revs is the joys of 40mm CRs and that's why the expression of riding them like a 2smoker; keep them in the sweet zone & on song. They haven't got the linear power delivery of earlier ZXRs & all the punch is up the top-end.

You should have seen the one Sportszone had about 4yrs ago :drool: no blemishes and untouched graphics (FUCHS livery) had a $10995 price tag.
Would have brought it but when I spotted it I just gone through the throws of having an argument with a car at the Sockburn roundabout and my H1 had gone from perfect condition to battle scared :crybaby:

Mikkel
15th April 2008, 23:55
It's the nature of the best with them and that's what they were designed for being WSB holmoligen specials, most ended up in the hands of privateer racers back in their day.

Yup, getting more and more certain that this one has been raced a bit as well... Both from looking at the VIR and around the bike.

OEM panels are exorbitantly expensive :sick:

Well, the front fairings are the same for both ZX7R and ZX7RR - so there are some 2nd hand out there...

bogging in lower revs is the joys of 40mm CRs and that's why the expression of riding them like a 2smoker; keep them in the sweet zone & on song. They haven't got the linear power delivery of earlier ZXRs & all the punch is up the top-end.

Have you ridden one? My experience so far (approximately 300 kms track riding) is that it's pretty linear, obviously you won't reach max power output until the high revs - but she pulls well from 5,500 RPM and up. Redline is 12,500 RPM but the rev limiter doesn't kick in until 13,500-14,500 RPM :spanking:

You should have seen the one Sportszone had about 4yrs ago :drool: no blemishes and untouched graphics (FUCHS livery) had a $10995 price tag.
Would have brought it but when I spotted it I just gone through the throws of having an argument with a car at the Sockburn roundabout and my H1 had gone from perfect condition to battle scared :crybaby:

Yeah, I've heard about that one. I believe it's still in Chch and I have some idea about who has it as well. Planning to catch said person and have a chat.

T.W.R
16th April 2008, 00:12
Yup, getting more and more certain that this one has been raced a bit as well... Both from looking at the VIR and around the bike.

Most likely :yes: I saw it when it was on TM

Well, the front fairings are the same for both ZX7R and ZX7RR - so there are some 2nd hand out there...

I know & lols you forget where I work :D

Have you ridden one? My experience so far (approximately 300 kms track riding) is that it's pretty linear, obviously you won't reach max power output until the high revs - but she pulls well from 5,500 RPM and up. Redline is 12,500 RPM but the rev limiter doesn't kick in until 13,500-14,500 RPM :spanking:

Not a N1 I haven't :no:. But it should pull like a 13yr old school boy from 8k upwards, 5.5k is where the Hp & torque are starting to match up in delivery but at 8k it should take off like it's been kicked in the arse :first:

Yeah, I've heard about that one. I believe it's still in Chch and I have some idea about who has it as well. Planning to catch said person and have a chat.

It should be around town somewhere :yes:Have seen it a couple of times since then doing early morning laps around the Peninsula

Mikkel
16th April 2008, 00:19
It should be around town somewhere :yes:Have seen it a couple of times since then doing early morning laps around the Peninsula

I'm not forgetting where you work - I don't know since I haven't been told ;)

At 8,000 RPM she certainly goes, and as you get closer to the redline she goes faster still!

yungatart
16th April 2008, 08:15
Oooh, Mikkel!:spanking:
Do you want Mstrs to look after it for you? I'm sure he would be happy to:whistle:

Mikkel
16th April 2008, 08:38
Oooh, Mikkel!:spanking:
Do you want Mstrs to look after it for you? I'm sure he would be happy to:whistle:

Would probably not be a bad idea, he certainly took better care of it than me... ;)

He's more than welcome to come visit it anytime though :yes:

MSTRS
16th April 2008, 08:58
Ah! The old 'learning curve' strikes another...
Bummer. Rear-wheel lock-up?

Mikkel
16th April 2008, 09:06
Ah! The old 'learning curve' strikes another...
Bummer. Rear-wheel lock-up?

Nope, front wheel.

A skin-graft and she'll be alright.

MSTRS
16th April 2008, 09:34
Nope, front wheel.

A skin-graft and she'll be alright.

Did you replace that front tyre? I have a sneaky feeling that it was contributing to the positive turn-in.

imdying
16th April 2008, 09:35
It's about time it was made into a Fuchs replica anyway... you'd had it for weeks now!

Mikkel
16th April 2008, 09:41
Did you replace that front tyre? I have a sneaky feeling that it was contributing to the positive turn-in.

Nope, still the same. It has been behaving pretty well I think.

I could start looking for all sorts of exterior reasons for this spill - but at the end of the day only one fact remains and that is that I fucked up... again.

But yes, when I get more used to the bike and begin to hang off it I'll probably be looking at getting some better tyres. I have been very happy with the Dunlop Sportsmax GPRs I have on the 250, will consider them for the 750 as well.

It's about time it was made into a Fuchs replica anyway... you'd had it for weeks now!

Yeah, actually I want to have a chat to you about some stuff in that regards ;)

SVboy
16th April 2008, 09:48
The off was a bit of a b@#$%d mate. Glad you are ok and it sounds like you are taking it well!

slowpoke
16th April 2008, 09:55

That's the difference between a modern 600 and the old 750 superbikes. The 600 may be ultimately quicker but you don't have to be doing 10k plus rpm on the 7 fiddy to get a reasonable amount of forward motion.

Sweet ride mate, these are definitely one of the bikes I would have in my shed if I was allowed a menagerie.

So what is it with Christchurch, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of unusual/nice bikes down that way. I noticed Stroudy's old Yamaha OW01 is for sale down there at the moment too.....Sunday mornings must feel like the hey day of WSBK all over again!

onearmedbandit
16th April 2008, 10:00

Yeah I know the guy that currently owns that one. Works at a mate of mines car yard.

Re the crash as we were on the short track my hand was taking a bit of a beating so I stopped on the back straight just short of the hairpin and watched Mike ride past, put my head down for a second to rest, looked up and saw a cloud of dust and Mike rolling through the dirt. Helped him pick the bike up, collected what parts I could, and rode back to the pits. Main thing was Mike was ok, no breaks, head knocks or anything. Look forward to seeing you back out at the track mate, now that I'll be living out there (but that's another story).

MSTRS
16th April 2008, 10:02
I could start looking for all sorts of exterior reasons for this spill - but at the end of the day only one fact remains and that is that I fucked up... again.

But yes, when I get more used to the bike and begin to hang off it I'll probably be looking at getting some better tyres. I have been very happy with the Dunlop Sportsmax GPRs I have on the 250, will consider them for the 750 as well.

That's about right....any off is a package deal, with contributions from several sources. As the rider it is your job to manage those contributions.
Oh, and tyres that are good for the 250 will NOT be good for the 750...

imdying
16th April 2008, 10:10
Yeah, actually I want to have a chat to you about some stuff in that regards ;)Pretty handy with a soldering iron too if your wiring is unhappy :yes:

Mikkel
16th April 2008, 10:41
Sweet ride mate

Pretty sweet - but I have ambitions that it will be more so :yes:

Re the crash as we were on the short track my hand was taking a bit of a beating so I stopped on the back straight just short of the hairpin and watched Mike ride past, put my head down for a second to rest, looked up and saw a cloud of dust and Mike rolling through the dirt. Helped him pick the bike up, collected what parts I could, and rode back to the pits. Main thing was Mike was ok, no breaks, head knocks or anything. Look forward to seeing you back out at the track mate, now that I'll be living out there (but that's another story).

Yeah, thanks for the hand ;)

I'm thinking I'll be back at the track when my frame sliders have arrived. I have plenty of time to sort out the fairings, electrics and such before it will become relevant. Thinking 6F mid june.

That's about right....any off is a package deal, with contributions from several sources. As the rider it is your job to manage those contributions.
Oh, and tyres that are good for the 250 will NOT be good for the 750...

And sometimes as a rider, especially an inexperienced one such as I, you simply fuck up. Sometimes the fuckup doesn't have any consequences and other times it does. This was the latter - albeit only minor consequences.

Obviously any tyre without a Z-rating would be inadequate for the mean greenie... All I meant was that I like the profile of my Dunlops, and that they stick well.

Pretty handy with a soldering iron too if your wiring is unhappy :yes:

Ah yes, that's another thing besides carbonfiber I wanted to talk to you about :D

Mikkel
28th April 2008, 18:14
Incidentally there's a ZX7RR up for grabs on trademe right now:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-151693168.htm

And it looks bloody mint as well!

onearmedbandit
28th April 2008, 20:05
Yeah it is a minta. Very nice.

SVboy
28th April 2008, 20:23
Mikkel-perhaps you should buy it....for spares!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mikkel
28th April 2008, 21:11
Mikkel-perhaps you should buy it....for spares!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fuck, why didn't I think about that? If I hurry I might be able to finalise the deal before my woman gets back on saturday... by which time it'll be too late... ;)

MidnightMike
29th April 2008, 01:08
Incidentally there's a ZX7RR up for grabs on trademe right now:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-151693168.htm

And it looks bloody mint as well!

OI!!! back off! :Pokey:

Im taking the precious for a test ride sometime this week (rain rain go away)

Boob Johnson
29th April 2008, 08:47
Hang on you bought a zx7RR one of only 500? Where the hell did you get it from? Must of cost a mint, how much was it?
There's one on TM right now for $7995, i've been chattin to the friendly salesman, he says I can be have it for $7k cash :love:

Can't decide what I want now :shutup:

Mikkel
29th April 2008, 10:33
That's a damn good price I reckon! I paid $5.7k for mine and it wasn't in nearly as mint condition as that one there (at least not to look at).

15 were brought new into NZ back in '96 and some of those have been written off.

MidnightMike
29th April 2008, 11:18
That's a damn good price I reckon! I paid $5.7k for mine and it wasn't in nearly as mint condition as that one there (at least not to look at).

15 were brought new into NZ back in '96 and some of those have been written off.

Yea, Ive already had a look at it. (just not a ride yet) Pretty good nick sounds alright too.

Theres only 2 main reasons why I like it so much:

1) I have real trouble fitting on modern 600s (gixxers cbrs etc) being 6'5" or thereabouts. And this thing is nice and big. Like sitting on a big green missile.

2) Fuck its cool. :headbang:

imdying
29th April 2008, 11:27

Word up nigger :first:

Mikkel
29th April 2008, 11:33

You know it! :niceone:

Buy it FFS!

DOO EET, DOO EET NAU!

Boob Johnson
29th April 2008, 23:02
I've decided not to buy it Mike so go for it mate, all yours. It's a wicked bike for $7k :niceone:

beauchampd
10th November 2008, 18:33
I have just bought a TRX850 from Motorad and am really happy. Not as fast as some of the new bikes but easier to live with than the VTR1000 I tested, good mileage and enough power to lose your licence. Take it for a decent test ride. One downside is parts are a bit tricky in NZ.

Boob Johnson
10th November 2008, 23:01
I have just bought a TRX850 from Motorad and am really happy. Not as fast as some of the new bikes but easier to live with than the VTR1000 I tested, good mileage and enough power to lose your licence. Take it for a decent test ride. One downside is parts are a bit tricky in NZ.
Cricky! Hope you got that for a good price.