PDA

View Full Version : Cut them?

bx42j29
23rd March 2008, 11:42
Concrete barriers are harder to vandalise than wire barriers. The government may change their minds when wire barriers become more costly to maintain.

Thoughts?

rudolph
23rd March 2008, 12:06
we could steel the cable and sell it as scrap $0.60c a KG

WelshWizard
23rd March 2008, 21:52
Cutting them would be a lot harder than it looks , the tension would leave you at risk of getting a halveing job yourself, best way is to undo the tension and dismantle, but seeing as the Police stated that this takes 8 men to do, (From report posted About an accident down south of the north Island) not very practical as a act of vandilisam, even if done in a good cause, best way is to get the law changed so that these things are made illegal, so LTNZ has to remove them themselves.

sels1
23rd March 2008, 22:02
The way the first set are deteriorating on SH1 near Paekakariki they may come to that conclusion themselves eventually

Headbanger
23rd March 2008, 22:07
Use a petrol powered cut off saw, Take a few seconds, No risk of getting hurt, they will spring away from ya.

Number One
23rd March 2008, 22:18
The way the first set are deteriorating on SH1 near Paekakariki they may come to that conclusion themselves eventually

And that there is another reason for me to be keeping as far away from these bloody things as possible - talk about keep left! Imagine if one of these things did pop and you were nearby :pinch:

Disco Dan
23rd March 2008, 22:20
make them rust quicker?? cover them in salt???

carver
23rd March 2008, 22:24
Concrete barriers are harder to vandalise than wire barriers. The government may change their minds when wire barriers become more costly to maintain.

Thoughts?

thats illegal, and i would like to see you try cut them in the middle of the motorway with a hacksaw.
they aint that bad in my mind....they are just the latest "lets have a bitch about this" item

Kittyhawk
23rd March 2008, 23:56
Buy top shelf spirits, give to some army lads, and get them to drive their tank over them....practising donuts :niceone:

jafar
24th March 2008, 00:03
Buy top shelf spirits, give to some army lads, and get them to drive their tank over them....practising donuts :niceone:

Best suggestion so far :pinch:

Kittyhawk
24th March 2008, 00:10
Best suggestion so far :pinch:

Lol....Well security aint the best...no one would notice if a few bikers took one out for a blat and happend to end up cruising for a bit!!

jafar
24th March 2008, 00:14
Lol....Well security aint the best...no one would notice if a few bikers took one out for a blat and happend to end up cruising for a bit!!

Next you'll be suggesting that we nick a loaded one & do a bit of practice shooting with it :devil2:

Kittyhawk
24th March 2008, 00:23
Next you'll be suggesting that we nick a loaded one & do a bit of practice shooting with it :devil2:

Me thinks the beehive would make for a fabulous practise target!

Then go destroy all cheese cutters...and anything which is a potential hazard for bikers :bleh:

jafar
24th March 2008, 00:34

Then go destroy all cheese cutters...and anything which is a potential hazard for bikers :bleh:

Any idjit could hit the 'beehive' :msn-wink:

mowgli
24th March 2008, 07:12

Cheesecutters
White vans
Cyclists
Drivers on cellphones....

This could be fun :)

TOTO
25th March 2008, 21:12
...they aint that bad in my mind....they are just the latest "lets have a bitch about this" item

So you think that getting cut in half is not that bad. try say it to the family of the rider that died this horrible way a couple of months back. :no:

BiK3RChiK
26th March 2008, 06:20
Pour acid on the bloody things!

sunhuntin
26th March 2008, 07:43
my boss has just got back from auckland. he saw a car come into contact with a barrier. he said it kept that car out of the opposing lane, but flicked it back the way it had come from. anything directly behind it would have been wiped out. you cant stop in half the distance when that distance is being closed in reverse!

toto... with a name like carver, its no wonder he wouldnt mind being sliced in half.

carver
26th March 2008, 16:34
my boss has just got back from auckland. he saw a car come into contact with a barrier. he said it kept that car out of the opposing lane, but flicked it back the way it had come from. anything directly behind it would have been wiped out. you cant stop in half the distance when that distance is being closed in reverse!

toto... with a name like carver, its no wonder he wouldnt mind being sliced in half.

it can only happen to me once..

So you think that getting cut in half is not that bad. try say it to the family of the rider that died this horrible way a couple of months back. :no:

dude, that can happen through a deer fence, you cant make everything safe, im just saying there is alot more out there than just cheesecutters that can cause a bad death on a bike, its part of riding

WelshWizard
26th March 2008, 16:57
it can only happen to me once..

dude, that can happen through a deer fence, you cant make everything safe, im just saying there is alot more out there than just cheesecutters that can cause a bad death on a bike, its part of riding

But what you are missing is that this is a danger that is being put there in the name of safety, when the put a lamp post up that is on a corner they don't claim it will make it a safer road for you to ride on, these things do not make the road safer for any one, in fact they are proveing world wode to be a danger to all who use the roads,
USA about 8 weeks ago for female students dead, why, their car went through a WRBs, it was quoted by the press that this was not the first time the WRBs had failed to stop a car going through the WRB onto the on comeing lane, in most cases the driver was past worrying about any head on with traffic in the other lane, any one who does a search for these things failing will come up with loads of examples as tp how these things fail.

MSTRS
26th March 2008, 17:11
.... being put there in the name of safety....

And that is it, in a nutshell. These things are demonstrably UNSAFE for many motorists, predominately motorcyclists, but including low-slung sportscars and heavy traffic.

Squid
28th March 2008, 17:34
I must say the tank idea would be quite neat... how bout a few well placed bits of C4 or somthing? Tis easier to find that laying about the place than a spare tank ay.

MSTRS
28th March 2008, 17:53
I must say the tank idea would be quite neat... how bout a few well placed bits of C4 or somthing? Tis easier to find that laying about the place than a spare tank ay.

Just make your own. Have a look at the labels of various stuff in your cupboards...you never know eh?

C-4 Ingredients

* RDX - 91 percent
* Di(2-ethylhexyl) sebacate - 5.3 percent
* Polyisobutylene - 2.1 percent
* Motor oil - 1.6 percent

Ixion
28th March 2008, 17:55
A PIAT should take them out OK. Or a simple shaped charge. Where's Mr Merde, he knows about this stuff.

R6_kid
28th March 2008, 17:56

What country do you live in? We don't have tanks in NZ...

Ixion
28th March 2008, 17:57
Yes we do. One of them nearly ran Mr Motu over a few months ago. Typical cager.

offrd
28th March 2008, 19:34
If you cut them at the anchor point they will fire away from you, if you are on the anchor side...... generator on the back of a ute and a big angle grinder with a cut off disc, some flashing lights so you look like roadworkers....

Would feel sorry for anything that ran them over once cut and laying across the road.... Would prob rip the diff's clean out of a truck passing if they got hooked in the wrong place :shit:

Tad illegal..... But could be fun...

BiK3RChiK
28th March 2008, 21:19
Like I said... pour acid on the things and let it work its magic!

carver
29th March 2008, 07:33
Like I said... pour acid on the things and let it work its magic!

lets see ya do it then...

oldrider
29th March 2008, 07:44
You could always stay in bed forever, if you sense too much danger out there! :lol: John.

carver
29th March 2008, 10:30
You could always stay in bed forever, if you sense too much danger out there! :lol: John.

yeah, although your house may not be structurally sound in the event of a natural disaster, so better worry about that too

FROSTY
29th March 2008, 10:42
I know that whats on tv tends to be for sensationalism BUT the guys at mythbusters had a go at cutting a pig carcus in half.
They would tension up the cable then cut it and watch it flick over around the pig
They tried and they tried but no way could they do it.
even with ( I think) 35tonnes of preload the pig was bruised but no aparent broken bones.
It wasn't untill speed was introduced into the equasion that damage started to apear.

sunhuntin
29th March 2008, 17:21
i saw that, and have these thoughts to add.

pigs have thicker skin than humans. and dead skin reacts differently to living skin.
the same result would have been had from almost any other dead animal. only ones i can think that would have similar results to a human would be a primate, but theres not enough of them as it is.

Ixion
29th March 2008, 18:42
I know that whats on tv tends to be for sensationalism BUT the guys at mythbusters had a go at cutting a pig carcus in half.
They would tension up the cable then cut it and watch it flick over around the pig
They tried and they tried but no way could they do it.
even with ( I think) 35tonnes of preload the pig was bruised but no aparent broken bones.
It wasn't untill speed was introduced into the equasion that damage started to apear.

Well, if they left the pig's uniform on, I reckon that stab proof vest thing would probably bugger up y' results.

flyingbrick
21st May 2008, 22:31
I agree with above. There is no way those cables are going to cut through anyone from release of tension. you'd cut each cable and im betting the end would move a metre or two at most- not to mention all the post things that are on each wire which would dampen the flick.

explosives have got to be the dumbest idea ive read here - how could that be less dangerous to people than the walls themselves lol.

Freeze wire rope with liquid nitrogen and then smash with hammer.