PDA

View Full Version : Gear and ACC

SuperDave
7th December 2004, 12:45
I was thinking about this after my recent incident, and I'm sure I read something on this site sometime back about ACC paying in towards the replacement of ones protective gear? Like subsidising it or something? Is there any truth to this?

MOTOXXX
7th December 2004, 12:52
not when i had mine as i asked the same thing. Should be covered under contents insurance if u got it.

Sniper
7th December 2004, 12:56
Yea tried it but they told me that I wasnt covered for that, only personal injury. Like MotoX says, try contents insurance but leave the part out where you think it ight be your fault.

Good luck

Quasievil
7th December 2004, 13:23
Back in 1982 when I pranged my Xl250 into the back of a car riding to welly, the Ambos cut all my gear off me like I they were unwrapping a Quasi Burger

They fucked all off my gear the lot and I was expensively kitted up for those days, the ACC paid for the lot including the medical stuff .
Perhaps they have changed there policy.

Sniper
7th December 2004, 13:25
Lucky bugger, mine was 2 years ago and they told me they wouldnt cover me. Might have something to do with the Ambo's cutting your gear off you

XP@
7th December 2004, 14:54
Yea tried it but they told me that I wasnt covered for that, only personal injury. Like MotoX says, try contents insurance but leave the part out where you think it ight be your fault.

Good luck

A couple of months ago I had a conversation with my insurance company...

me: Hi, I dropped my helmet on the garage floor I want to claim for it please.
them: is it broken?
me: yes
them: can you prove it?
me: will you pay for an x-ray?
them: no, you will need a letter.

I got a letter saying the helmet may nolonger be any good.

them: this is letter is not sufficiant.
me: can I have a letter from you saying you will pay for funeral / rehab costs if my helmet fails?
them: how much was the helmet again?

two days later I got a cheque in the post.

to do this you need a policy that includes "All Risks" cover with new for old. essential for bikers, as it covers all riding gear - even if caused by your own stupidity.

Sniper
7th December 2004, 14:58
Hahaha, 100 points for that!!! Very well done XP

Slim
8th December 2004, 09:21
Lucky bugger, mine was 2 years ago and they told me they wouldnt cover me. Might have something to do with the Ambo's cutting your gear off you
Nope. It's got everything to do with the fact that it happened in 1982.

ACC used to cover all your gear, but it was obviously too expensive for them, so they stopped it, although I couldn't tell you exactly when. Some time in the '90s? I scored a new helmet & repairs to Dianese leathers from my first motorcycle accident.

XP - thanks for the reminder about the New-For-Old thing. Just ringing my insurance company now to check it out.

Slim
8th December 2004, 09:40
Humph!

Just called AA about Contents. Leathers/boots/helmet are definitely covered while I'm wearing them out & about on my bike. Excellent.

What about New-For-Old?
Yes, you've got N-F-O but that doesn't apply to clothing, etc, blah, etc.
But this is safety equipment.
That's true, but because you wear it on your body, it's considered by insurance to be clothing.
Arrrgh!!! :crazy:
You can "specify" it if you like.
And then it'll be covered as N-F-O?
Yes. But we'll need receipts that are less than 2 years old and if they're older than that, a valuation.
:pinch:

Is it worth it??? Really?

vifferman
8th December 2004, 09:48
ACC used to cover all your gear, but it was obviously too expensive for them, so they stopped it, although I couldn't tell you exactly when. Some time in the '90s? I scored a new helmet & repairs to Dianese leathers from my first motorcycle accident.The thing to do is make sure that if you crash, it's not your fault. I've had several repairs to gear paid for through the insurance company, at no cost to myself. Stupidly though, I didn't claim for helmet replacement when I troweled the VFR, because I thought they'd depreciate it too much, and I didn't think I'd get much of a decent replacement for the money. While its safety wasn't compromised by the crash, it would've been easy to get a bike shop to say it wasn't safe (which is what the insurance company required). If I'd been smart, it would've been very easy to get a decent replacement paid for by the Audi owner's insurance company, saving me some money.

vifferman
8th December 2004, 09:50
But we'll need receipts that are less than 2 years old and if they're older than that, a valuation.
:pinch:

Is it worth it??? Really?Nup.
They wouldn't do it otherwise.

badlieutenant
8th December 2004, 12:33
Nope. It's got everything to do with the fact that it happened in 1982.

ACC used to cover all your gear, but it was obviously too expensive for them, so they stopped it, although I couldn't tell you exactly when. Some time in the '90s? I scored a new helmet & repairs to Dianese leathers from my first motorcycle accident.

XP - thanks for the reminder about the New-For-Old thing. Just ringing my insurance company now to check it out.
yer i pretty sure it was in the early 90's. I remember hearing lots of stories about guys who would take in a mates stuffed helmet and get it replaced with a new one. Probably why they dont do it any more. You would think tho that if you had proof of purchase of your gear that they would help pay for it. Better than paying for worse injuries the next time said biker spills off again, after getting faster bike from insurance company payout.