PDA

View Full Version : Kids Minimoto racing?

FROSTY
25th March 2008, 10:02
Kickahas thread about bucket racing got the ol noggin going.
Yep we have 5 year olds racing quads offroad.We have 7 hear olds racing motocross. Yet its 13 before a kid can begin road racing of any sort.
Sounds kinda stupid to me.
What would happen if a mini moto "bucket" race class was started for kids?
Starting out on air cooled (the lower powered ones) 40cc at age 6 then maybee at 10 allowed onto the water cooled -then 13 onto 50cc buckets etc-
Safety gear would be an issue I guess unless MX gear (armour,boots,gloves,pants,shirt with a back protector.) would be deemed suitable due to the lower speeds.
The racing would be on Kart tracks or tracks like slipway perhaps.
I'm floating a concept here -Mr eskdale has captured the ol imagination a bit

speedpro
25th March 2008, 12:55
Saturday of a bucket racing weekend, whole families turn up sometimes, with a boot full of mini motos. Some of the kids fit those bikes perfectly.

Slingshot
25th March 2008, 18:05
That sounds like a great idea.

I've love my girl to get involved when she's a bit older and minimotos sounds like a cost effective way to get involved.

Hardest thing would be safety gear...imagine having to get two sets of leathers each season just to keep up with their growth rate.

If there was enough interest, a club could be formed and gear could be provided by the club (paid for by grants & subs).

This idea has got merit me thinks and I'd be keen to get involved in helping set something like this up in Wgtn.

jonbuoy
25th March 2008, 21:50
I reckon one of the Banshees would fly with a lightweight well trained toddler on it :woohoo:

CookMySock
26th March 2008, 05:51
aren't the younguns racing pocket bikes on kart tracks at the moment ?

This is what I was gunna get my kids (13+14 y/o) into.

DB

SHELRACING
26th March 2008, 08:21
Mt Wellinton bucket Racing supports minimoto racing, with sessions for kids and adults. Kids as young as 5-6 yrs are riding minimotos.

The next meeting is 5th and 6th of April. Saturdays (5th) is Bucket practice day combined with minimoto day, newbies and kids catered for. Sunday 6th is purely buckets as it is points racing.

Contact us if you want more info.

Cheers
Steve

SHELRACING
29th March 2008, 23:34
[QUOTE=Slingshot;1489003]That sounds like a great idea.

I've love my girl to get involved when she's a bit older and minimotos sounds like a cost effective way to get involved.

Hardest thing would be safety gear...imagine having to get two sets of leathers each season just to keep up with their growth rate.

Slingshot,
We let our kids, here in Aucks, ride the mini's with full face helmet, long sleeve shirts, long pants, knee and elbow pads, mx gloves and shoes that cover the ankle. Even mx gear is fine for beginners.

My grandkids (6 + 4 yrs) have a set of knee/elbow pads from the warehouse and my old mx gloves. The 6yr old has fallen off a couple of times and hasn't been hurt, well, maybe her pride!

They only ride the cheap chinese 'Daytona' bikes, so they dont really reach excessive speeds..... at least not yet anyway.

When the kids start getting real serious and wanting a 100kph Polini, then leathers will be a good idea.