PDA

View Full Version : USA Custom Harvesters?

Krusti
25th March 2008, 20:04
Has anyone been over to US and done the wheat harvesting run ?

Have applied to go, 8 months on a combine / truck from Texas to the north working with Custom Harvesters.

My thinking.............you are never too old :whistle:

crazybigal
25th March 2008, 20:10
a mates old man did it a few years ago and came back here to drive snow cats.
Sounds like they do long hours over there but worth the$$ and they look after you well.
could be a bit boring, driving up and down all day, the scale of the operation is huge compared to here and aussie

Krusti
25th March 2008, 20:19
I know what you're saying re the hours but a great way to see some of the real USA, even if it is only on rainy days...

Free board, free food, airfare refunded at the end... gotta do it once me thinks.....

98tls
25th March 2008, 20:25
I havent personally but know a bloke down here that has been going over for a few years,hard work/long hours but both $ wise and seeing the real America from what he says well worth it,i can get in touch with him in the next few days if you want to speak to someone thats done it.

Krusti
25th March 2008, 20:28
Thanks mate, will see what they say this week when they get back to me. Will PM you if I need to.

Need any TLR bits ?:msn-wink:

98tls
25th March 2008, 20:36
Thanks mate, will see what they say this week when they get back to me. Will PM you if I need to.

Need any TLR bits ?:msn-wink: Will let you know if i do.From memory when i last talked to him it sounded like a real adventure to be honest,he had to buy his own transport etc but accommodation (mobile) was provided,the distance between jobs was huge the contractor (couple) he works for are demanding/hardworking/hardcase wonderful people that pay well for hardworkers and simply sack those that cant cope.

Krusti
25th March 2008, 20:51
I'm used to hard work...............been married 22 years ! :cool:

scumdog
25th March 2008, 22:51
CBs older son did it for two-three years in Kansas at Scott City, made a few bob and found out about 'real' USA.

And the good part was that when we visited him he had a mate that had a bag of about seven pistols he let me try out!!

But man, is that place FLAT!! - 360 degree spin-around and not one mountain or hill in sight.

MisterD
26th March 2008, 09:25
I think one of Flatcap's brothers-in-law did it, and was disappointed with the experience, but then he's a farm boy so was maybe his expectations were different...

ValkRider
26th March 2008, 20:33
Krusti,

Being from the heart of wheat country here in Kansas... I can say I have never done any harvesting... but have done my share of reaping the benefits of eating some fine breads! :rolleyes:

Should you happen along the way and come near Kansas City, look us up!

Krusti
16th April 2008, 18:47
Well I'm off in about two weeks to Kansas city then Wamego just out of Kansas. Will be travelling around a few States chopping silage. Will be driving a new Ford Sterling semi truck. Will be six of us kiwis in the one gang.

Meon3 is staying here selling our block of land while I'm away till mid November.

Will only be site seeing on rainy days! Will probably post some pics.

98tls
16th April 2008, 18:50
Well I'm off in about two weeks to Kansas city then Wamego just out of Kansas. Will be travelling around a few States chopping silage. Will be driving a new Ford Sterling semi truck. Will be six of us kiwis in the one gang.

Meon3 is staying here selling our block of land while I'm away till mid November.

Will only be site seeing on rainy days! Will probably post some pics. :2thumbsupHave fun eh,lucky bugger you it will be a great adventure.Good luck with the R to.

Krusti
16th April 2008, 18:56
Cheers mate, sure you don't need some TLR cams? hehe

Crank sold.

Also have a spare TLR black box here too. (buggered if I know what the real term is)

Just gotta have my medical and drug test done next week!