PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 km in 10 days - Which bike for it?

Jantar
25th March 2008, 21:43
Well the title says it all. I'll be in for the Rusty Nuts 10,000 km in 10 day ride, but the VStrom won't be the right bike for that trip. I need a touring bike that can go 10,000 between servicing and tyres: A ST1300 or FJR perhaps?

The VStrom would need a tyre change part way through, so I'll look at changing bikes in winter 2009.

98tls
25th March 2008, 21:46
Fwiw ive just done most of the outer south isle on an old TL in 2 days.Like i said fwiw.:rolleyes:

FJRider
25th March 2008, 21:57
Shall we put the rescue chopper on standby Malcolm ???

Jantar
25th March 2008, 21:58
No Trev, I'll chose a bike that won't need rescuing. :shutup:

MaxB
25th March 2008, 22:06
Can you change your tyres to a compound that would go the distance? I thought the V-strom was a superb tourer. It would be a shame to bin the whole bike for the sake of tyres, unless you want the excuse for a brand new bike.

FJRider
25th March 2008, 22:07
Your body should be healed by then, but I suggest you might like to increase your health INSURANCE though. JUST IN CASE !!!

yod
25th March 2008, 22:10
a concours would be a good option

Jantar
25th March 2008, 22:16
Can you change your tyres to a compound that would go the distance? I thought the V-strom was a superb tourer. It would be a shame to bin the whole bike for the sake of tyres, unless you want the excuse for a brand new bike.
The VStrom is a superb tourer, and I will be using it for next year's Southern Cross. However it does need an oil change every 6000 km and I have tried a number of different tyres but never managed more than 8500 km (Pirelli Scorpoins).

By 2010 when the 10,000 km in 10 days ride is on it would be 4 years old, and I normally change bikes every 2 - 3 years. If I'm financial enough I may look at keeping the VStrom and buying a second hand bike that is kinder on tyres.

Another option is to keep the VStrom and hire a suitable bike for the ride.

Jantar
25th March 2008, 22:54
a concours would be a good option

I've just looked at the specs. Oil change at 12,000 km sounds good. What about tyre life?

FJRider
25th March 2008, 22:58
I'm picking ,others will need a tyre change before the finish. Shouldn't be hard to arrange during the trip. Two or three(at least) needing a new tyre, a shop would open up after hours

FJRider
25th March 2008, 23:00
I've just looked at the specs. Oil change at 12,000 km sounds good. What about tyre life?

160 horses... not that great

yod
25th March 2008, 23:12

pm meanie or banditrider

meanie is running avon storms and loves 'em and I think he's getting pretty good mileage, banditrider just finished almost 6000km in 11 days but not sure what he's running

(meanie is out of contact for a few days btw)

Grub
25th March 2008, 23:27
There's only one bike for it ....

Postie Bike!

erix
26th March 2008, 00:02
There's only one bike for it ....

Postie Bike!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T_bsRsQNgEY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T_bsRsQNgEY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Gremlin
26th March 2008, 00:06
I'll tentatively put my hand up for a blackbird, good price for the kit you get, not sure on servicing interval tho.

One I rode down to the SI and back within a week had Pilot Road 2's on, and while I kinda... used them a bit (especially on the edges - mental note, 40 odd kg of luggage and a sporty disposition can overheat tyres a bit - sorry boss :whistle:) I did find it fantastic for long distances, doing 450km without stops besides gas and thats basically a day ride for me normally. Tyres should last over 10k, and they grip very well.

Just don't get a puncture... 370+ kg didn't do so good for 60 odd km on a deflating tyre, although amazingly enough I could still hold 120 ish through the country, so not too bad :clap:

Jantar
26th March 2008, 00:14
The Blackbird is a nice bike, but has similar service intervals and tyre life to the VStrom.

CookMySock
26th March 2008, 05:11
any modern roadbike should go 10,000k's without a service, regardless of what its' service interval is. Replace all the consumable bits like chain etc before you go. Don't shake down a new bike doing this.

DB

Jantar
26th March 2008, 05:20
any modern roadbike should go 10,000k's without a service, regardless of what its' service interval is. Replace all the consumable bits like chain etc before you go. Don't shake down a new bike doing this.
DB

I am prepared to push the servicing out a bit if its just an oil/filter change, but 6000 to 10000 is a bit more than I'd like to push it, then there is the question of tyre wear: For this ride I'll be looking for a bike that can go 12,000 km on a rear and more on the front. Tyres are one area where I'm not prepared to compromise.

For any long ride I have the bike fully serviced and new tyres, chain & sprockets before hand. When I buy a new bike I generally order it for winter delivery so its already got at least 12,000 kms on it before the Rusty Nuts rides in march.

Radar
26th March 2008, 06:24
I am prepared to push the servicing out a bit if its just an oil/filter change, but 6000 to 10000 is a bit more than I'd like to push it,

For extra peace of mind use fully synthetic oil instead of the usual semi synthetic. Even with semi syn, 10 days should be no problem on the engine - gearbox. Several months of stop start traffic, varying speeds and weather conditions would be worse, imho. It takes time for impurities and chemical changes to take place in the oil and 10,000 km in 10 days will be fine unless a bike is on a dirt race track.

Colapop
26th March 2008, 06:33
I'd say get a RF. Yep they may be an older bike now - but they'll go forever. The recommended service timeframes and the real ones are slightly different. As you well know, having many of the GSX1100 components makes the RF a fairly indestructable beast. Tyre life depends on the rubber you put on, suffice to say I have Pilot Road 2's on mine and have had4 1/2 thousand k's so far with very little wear even being shown. I'm not going to claim to know anything about tyres though... :o

banditrider
26th March 2008, 07:51
pm meanie or banditrider

meanie is running avon storms and loves 'em and I think he's getting pretty good mileage, banditrider just finished almost 6000km in 11 days but not sure what he's running

(meanie is out of contact for a few days btw)

I'm currently running some Pirelli Stradas. They've just clocked up 7,000km and are still ok (just had a wee puncture in the rear). The rear will definitely see 10,000km, the front - maybe. They seem to be an ok tyre although I did notice them moving around a bit on cooler days.

The bike is absolutely up to it - as you'd expect from this sort of bike. On the Mini's Reutrn it just hummed along - we kept pretty close to the speed limit and the bike gave an average of 17.7km/l for the whole trip (better than Mark's Bandit 12) with a range of around the 350km mark.

I'm tempted by the 10,000km in 10 days but not sure if I'm up to it - maybe some more pratice is in order.

Check this out: http://www.davojones.com/roku.htm

Edit: Picture added to demonstrate bug catching ability.

jrandom
26th March 2008, 07:56
With regards to tyres, I'm surprised at how well the Pilot Road 2s are holding up on Betty the GSX1400. 8000km and the rear has plenty of wear left in it yet. They'll be doing their third trackday next week, too.

Then again, I'm a nana on the throttle, which helps.

NZsarge
26th March 2008, 08:05
Well the title says it all. I'll be in for the Rusty Nuts 10,000 km in 10 day ride, but the VStrom won't be the right bike for that trip. I need a touring bike that can go 10,000 between servicing and tyres: A ST1300 or FJR perhaps?

The VStrom would need a tyre change part way through, so I'll look at changing bikes in winter 2009.

Yamaha FJR / Honda ST1300 / Kawasaki ZG1400 / BMW K1200RT.
Take your pick I reckon.

yod
26th March 2008, 08:28
Yamaha FJR / Honda ST1300 / Kawasaki ZG1400 / BMW K1200RT.
Take your pick I reckon.

FZ1 wouldnt be a bad option either I reckon....pretty comfy, how are you doing on tyres?

NZsarge
26th March 2008, 09:00
FZ1 wouldnt be a bad option either I reckon....pretty comfy, how are you doing on tyres?

4k and the rear is screwed!:crybaby: Front is still awesome though.......:2thumbsup
Will go back to Michelins soon, just for the hell of it I might give another PP 2ct a go on the rear.

CookMySock
26th March 2008, 09:08
For extra peace of mind use fully synthetic oil instead of the usual semi syntheticThis is good advice, but I would suggest you not change the oil TYPE or BRAND right before a long ride. Stick with what it has recently used.

I have, more than once, had an engine have a severe brain fart when swapping to a different oil. I have no real clue why. All returned to normal after immediately changing back. Go figure. Not what you want to experience on a trip.

But, yes, using a fully synthetic oil is a good idea. Consider Amsoil if you can get it.

DB

Highlander
26th March 2008, 09:12
Tyres: It is well known that I don't ride hard, and don't have a surplus over Horse power that I'm trying to put down, but I'm running Z6's front and rear, 13000 between changes no problem at all.

Fuel: Twice in the last week I have touched 380Km from full tank and not flicked to reserve. I know I have put 21.8 litres in my tank without having to push it in to the gas station (must have been close though, listed as 22 litre tank). Most this trip was 19 litres (381km).

Should my wife win that debate and I not do the 10,000km ride, you may be able to hire my bike :rolleyes:.

Blackbird
26th March 2008, 10:03
Hi Malcolm

Just to show a complete lack of bias, I'm not going to recommend a Blackbird or anything remotely similar :devil2:. I've also mulled over what would be the perfect long haul solo bike for timed endurance rides and I'm going to suggest that you seriously consider a modern 600 such as the Suzuki GSR 600, 600/650 Bandit or similar models by any of the other major manufacturers. Any of them can cruise economically in the speed range you'll need and they will be VERY easy on tyres. Ergonomically, they'll also be very easy to flick about, have an upright stance and therefore reduce stress on the body. Having done 1600 kms in 18 hours on the 'bird, the body does take a hiding because of the weight and ergonomics and the ride you're thinking of doing will be more a matter of physical well-being than outright bike performance. I honestly think a lighter weight bike would be the way to go. As someone else mentioned, synthetic lubricants or semi-synthetic ones will handle 10000 km without worry.

Anyway, there's my two cents' worth.

Cheers,

Geoff

yod
26th March 2008, 10:10
Hi Malcolm

Just to show a complete lack of bias, I'm not going to recommend a Blackbird

why?

i'd be interested in your views on the blackbird as a sports tourer....I understand they're not short on power but how are they comfort/fuel/tyre/maintenance-wise?

cheers

Hinny
26th March 2008, 10:32
This Rusty Nuts Challenge is the N.Z. version of the Iron Butt Rally in the USA.
The results of that Rally for the last fifteen shows the top marque being BMW closely followed by Honda. All other manufacturers combined not coming close.
Top 20 finishers 1995 - 2007. BMW 60, Honda 51, Yamaha 16, Kawasaki 3, Harley Davidson 3, Ducati 1, Suzuki 1, Victory 1, Buell 1, Triumph 1.
So I would suggest you consider a BMW or an Honda.

ManDownUnder
26th March 2008, 10:36
10,000kms in 10 days?

That's not Rusty Nuts, that's totally nuts!

And yes - as Cola said, and RF would do it easy enough, and with minimal depreciation

crazybigal
26th March 2008, 10:44
best i have goten out of the bird was 6000k on a rear tyre.
South island roads eat tyres! all the quartz in the road.
I wouldnt go 10,000k on an oil change, prob 6-7k at best.

I'll tentatively put my hand up for a blackbird, good price for the kit you get, not sure on servicing interval tho.

One I rode down to the SI and back within a week had Pilot Road 2's on, and while I kinda... used them a bit (especially on the edges - mental note, 40 odd kg of luggage and a sporty disposition can overheat tyres a bit - sorry boss :whistle:) I did find it fantastic for long distances, doing 450km without stops besides gas and thats basically a day ride for me normally. Tyres should last over 10k, and they grip very well.

Just don't get a puncture... 370+ kg didn't do so good for 60 odd km on a deflating tyre, although amazingly enough I could still hold 120 ish through the country, so not too bad :clap:

Blackbird
26th March 2008, 11:31
why?

i'd be interested in your views on the blackbird as a sports tourer....I understand they're not short on power but how are they comfort/fuel/tyre/maintenance-wise?

cheers

I could write pages on 'birds because after nearly 7 years of ownership, I know them pretty much inside out, Including strengths and (the very few) shortcomings. It's simply the best bike I've ever owned for the type of riding I do - a mix of touring, long distance endurance riding and fanging it with the boys. I wouldn't have the temerity to suggest there aren't other great bikes around though. Jantar and I did the 2005 Southern Cross round NZ ride together and whilst the 'bird was great for that, I was simply suggesting that a big capacity bike may not be the best option for 10000 km in 10 days and that a bit of thinking outside the square might be appropriate.

If you want specific info on owning a 'bird, PM me your email address and I'll send you some info.

Geoff

HornetBoy
26th March 2008, 12:27
Go with a katana 600 or 750,on my 600 i get easily 12k plus out of the rear and about the same if not more out of the front and thats mostly open road backroads. bloody good fuel consumption up to 380 out of a tank 15ltrs i think. and chains and sprockets are pretty much lube them and thats it ,id say its a near perfect bike for that type of thing ,as its meant to be economical in every aspect of ownership and i can honestly say it really is :2thumbsup and they dont cost an arm and a leg to buy brandnew and especially cheap 2nd hand

cruza
26th March 2008, 14:18
Sounds like an excuse to buy a new bike, I'd just be looking on the map of the route and pre booking tyres/oil change ,whats the big deal?? 30-45min fresh tryes and fresh oil ,and back into it. Can't be any worse than having to deal with a puncture etc.

MotoKuzzi
26th March 2008, 15:17
Tyres: It is well known that I don't ride hard, and don't have a surplus over Horse power that I'm trying to put down, but I'm running Z6's front and rear, 13000 between changes no problem at all.

Fuel: Twice in the last week I have touched 380Km from full tank and not flicked to reserve. I know I have put 21.8 litres in my tank without having to push it in to the gas station (must have been close though, listed as 22 litre tank). Most this trip was 19 litres (381km).

Should my wife win that debate and I not do the 10,000km ride, you may be able to hire my bike :rolleyes:.

Riding style must have a lot to do with tyre life, I'm running Michelin Pilots and so far up to 16000km with I reckon, 1/2 as much to go again.

Taz
26th March 2008, 15:27
I got 13000kms out of a Metzeler tourance on my R1100GS without being too nice to it. I suggest you use your V-Strom and a metzeler rear. You can do an oil change during the ride - would only take 30 mins.

WRT
26th March 2008, 15:59
I dare ya - no, double-dare ya - to do it on the RE5. Get people to sponsor you 1c per KM (ie: $100 per sponsor if you make it the whole way). I'll put my money where my mouth is if you do! :D And think of the book rights at the end of it all . . .

Other than that, if money was no object I'd personally want something like a concours or k1200s, but I like the suggestion of something like a GSR600 or similar. Nice thinking, I'd imagine it would be a small decrease in comfort (and wank factor), but a huge saving in cost.

banditrider
26th March 2008, 16:55
Other than that, if money was no object I'd personally want something like a concours or k1200s, but I like the suggestion of something like a GSR600 or similar. Nice thinking, I'd imagine it would be a small decrease in comfort (and wank factor), but a huge saving in cost.

One issue with the smaller bikes is range. Ok smaller engines tend to be economical but not if they're pulling a zillion revs for hours on end. On one Southern Cross my 1200 Bandit used 24L less fuel than my mates GSX750F and had the better range. On the Mini's Return I was getting better economy on the 14 than he was getting on his Bandit and had a bigger tank. Depends on how much you want to stop I guess.

Also, comfort could be an issue on a naked GSR or similar. Maybe the 650 Bandit or GSX650/750 would be more comfy??? What about the 650 V-strom? They're supposed to go over 400km to a tank and get great write ups in the mags. Mite miss the thou though...

Horses for courses - whatever works for you. As long as it's comfortable & reliable.

KoroJ
26th March 2008, 17:33
...... On the Mini's Reutrn it just hummed along - we kept pretty close to the speed limit and the bike gave an average of 17.7km/l for the whole trip (better than Mark's Bandit 12) with a range of around the 350km mark...........

Yeeeeaaaah riiiiiiiight!!!!!!! and I was following cinderellas pumpkin last Tuesday!!

Nice bikes those KFC's (Kawasaki Frickin' Concoursis), but I was having to do half tank fills just to be sociable.

The ST will still do 400+Kms to a tank absolutley hammering it and I've had 520Km in a hit, taking it easy, with probably another 20-30Km in the tank when I got home.

On Pilot Road 2's, I got 12,500Km out of the rear and 18,000Km from the front, .....but I'll never put another dual compound tyre on it (at least not on the rear). The bike is just too heavy for them. I will stick to either Storms or possibly a Pilot Road (single compound) on the rear.

The oil & filter changes are scheduled for every 12,000Km but I have them done at 6,000. Time and short runs are as big an enemy to oil as Kms and for that type of running, I would have no problem doing changes before and after.

I don't have a problem doing 1,000Kms in a day, but stringing 10 of them together will be a real pain-in-the-arse. The bike will hack it no sweat....but I doubt I will.

FJRider
26th March 2008, 17:37
I dare ya - no, double-dare ya - to do it on the RE5. Get people to sponsor you 1c per KM (ie: $100 per sponsor if you make it the whole way). I'll put my money where my mouth is if you do! :D And think of the book rights at the end of it all . . .

Maybe a KB challenge is in order. KB'rs SPONSOR our mate Jantar. Monies raised go to the KB web-site funds...IF HE DOES IT ON THE RE5. Minimum ONE cent per kilometre traveled, payable ONLY if he finishes.

banditrider
26th March 2008, 17:39
Yeeeeaaaah riiiiiiiight!!!!!!! and I was following cinderellas pumpkin last Tuesday!!

I said "close too". And anyway, we had some maniac on an ST pushing us hard...

And anyway, who bet who to Kaitaia?

Jantar
26th March 2008, 17:50
...On Pilot Road 2's, I got 12,500Km out of the rear and 18,000Km from the front, .....but I'll never put another dual compound tyre on it (at least not on the rear). The bike is just too heavy for them. I will stick to either Storms or possibly a Pilot Road (single compound) on the rear.

The oil & filter changes are scheduled for every 12,000Km but I have them done at 6,000. Time and short runs are as big an enemy to oil as Kms and for that type of running, I would have no problem doing changes before and after.....

Thanks KoroJ, That is the type of information I'm looking for. I would rather ride a bike that is purpose built for this type of event than compromise and hope.

Many thanks to those who have offered to sponsor the RE5, but that sponsorship would have to extend to a travelling support vehicle with extra fuel. The RE5 only gets 140 - 160 km per tank of fuel, and requires servicing every 3000 kms. And, a service on an RE5 isn't simply an oil change, it is an involved process of cleaning internal filters etc, carb synch and adjustment among other item. It takes 3 to 4 hours. It also only gets 3500 per rear tyre and almost 5000 on a front and around 6500 per chain. Not a suitable ride for 10,000 kms in 10 days. :rolleyes:

paturoa
26th March 2008, 18:07
After reading the Twisting Throttle book I'd say the strom is still a good choice.

How about leaving another rear wheel with new rubber on it around the 5000k location? Rears should be common.

With the centre stand and some willing help the rear could be swapped and the oil changed quicker than you could take a dump or while you are sleeping.

That way you get to ride on your already sorted bike, a bike you know well and have already made all the mods you want.

Mcycle
26th March 2008, 19:02
I did 12,000 kms in USA on a 1991 Beema K100RS. The bike was great, (during the trip it turned over 100,000km.) Loaded and two-up the tyres made the distance, while I carried out a 10,000km oil & filter change myself during the trip - simply went into a lube bay and said if I buy my oil from you will you allow me to use your facilities...say no more.
I would recommend any Beema (1,000 cc and up) for such a trip, and if price is an issue buy an older Beema. Likewise I've done a lot of K's on Honda ST's. I rate these bikes for quick touring - specially loaded and two-up.

Hinny
27th March 2008, 00:05
One issue with the smaller bikes is range. Ok smaller engines tend to be economical but not if they're pulling a zillion revs for hours on end.
Horses for courses - whatever works for you. As long as it's comfortable & reliable.

Iron Butt comparison again. 1600kms a day for 11 days in a row.
One guy completed it on an Honda Helix scooter 250cc, one on a Ninja 250 and what must be the smallest ever.............a Cagiva Mito 125 (78th out of 93 finishers) and a Suzuki GN125. (81st) :crazy: :weird:
:headbang:
Also worthy of note is the fact that, over the last 15years, three HD riders have finished in the top 20 .

Blackbird
27th March 2008, 05:54
Iron Butt comparison again. 1600kms a day for 11 days in a row.
One guy completed it on an Honda Helix scooter 250cc, one on a Ninja 250 and what must be the smallest ever.............a Cagiva Mito 125 (78th out of 93 finishers) and a Suzuki GN125. (81st) :crazy: :weird:
:headbang:
Also worthy of note is the fact that, over the last 15years, three HD riders have finished in the top 20 .

Not quite comparing apples with apples as Iron Butt events use a lot of freeways and interstates which are a wee bit less stressful for the rider and bike alike compared with Lee Hurley's events. That's certainly not diminishing the sense of accomplishment in completing an Iron Butt run though. Incidentally, the Iron Butt legend, Ron Ayers, runs high end bike tours to NZ every year - fantastic guy.

DougieNZ
27th March 2008, 07:12
I would look at an ST/FJR/Concours as the ideal bikes foir this trip. With new rubber (Storm ST for me) and oil changed these bikes would all "eat" this trip. Whether the riders would be able to hack it is another matter...

The main problems with this is Lee and his team. f I know their sense of humour, the roads will certainly not be very straight!

I havben't decided whether to haver a go at this or not. the fact that I am even considering it makes me wonder about my sanity....

Fuel (by then ) at least $2.20 a litre... budget $1500 for the trip alone let alone the k's to/from the start/finish. Then there is 10 days food and accomodation & full service on return.

This really will be a supreme challenge! A once in a lifetime event....

rasty
27th March 2008, 09:13
Multistrada - 10k services, 18-20k on Z6 tyres. Chain is at 40k and still good. Plus they are fun to ride. I won't be changing.

Hinny
27th March 2008, 09:48
Not quite comparing apples with apples as Iron Butt events use a lot of freeways and interstates which are a wee bit less stressful for the rider and bike alike compared with Lee Hurley's events. That's certainly not diminishing the sense of accomplishment in completing an Iron Butt run though. Incidentally, the Iron Butt legend, Ron Ayers, runs high end bike tours to NZ every year - fantastic guy.

I think the comparison is quite valid. Maybe comparing Pacific Rose apples with Granny Smiths but I can't imagine the Rusty Nuts challenge having a section equivalent to reach Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, inside the Arctic circle. Even on a good day the 480 miles haul road from Fairbanks was 430 miles of dirt and gravel.

Twenty-two riders had to overcome rain and mud. Some became inextricably bogged it was so bad. Twenty of these riders were on road bikes and two on BMW adventure bikes.

Interstates have their own challenges and these guys are covering more than 1.6 times the daily distance and for a day longer. All the stresses on riders and machines are present in both rides.

Regarding Ron Ayers; forty-nine states in eleven days. He surely has got an iron butt. What a legend.

NiggleC
27th March 2008, 14:10
hi Jantar
i have got home from the Mini Returns ride today. (5150km door to door).
i fitted Continental Trail Attacks about 600km prior to this event.
Tread depth front and rear when new was 4mm and 9mm respectively.
Having spotted your thread the depth now is 3mm and 6.5mm. Those who were on the M.R. know that i had a 115kg pillion from Haast to Greymouth. Also Mrs C. flew to AK and we went around the Coromandel and across to Whakatane and then down to Rotorua where she flew home from. (but she only weighs about 55kg in all her riding gear.) So not all of the ride was solo. IF i decide to do the 10000 i will be fitting these tyres again.
cheers
Nigel

revvinkevin
28th March 2008, 09:26
You may not get them over there but don't overlook the Yamaha TDM 850/900. Odd to look at, great to ride.:clap:
Enough power, plenty of grunt, very economical, easy on tyres, and all day comfort. Smoother than the v-strom.:2thumbsup

Someone mentioned a multistrada. I found the seat like a plank. made my butt hurt in no time at all. :wacko:

That's my two pen'orth.

shafty
28th March 2008, 09:56
On a Four Points write up a couple of years ago, riding my newish ST1300, I wrote:

"my first refill from Tauranga was at Kawakawa, after 476.3 km, taking 27.3 litres. That means I had 1.7 litres left, so theoretical range was 506 km "

I have heard of even better range achieved by more sedate riding.......

Morcs
28th March 2008, 11:52
The VStrom is a superb tourer, and I will be using it for next year's Southern Cross. However it does need an oil change every 6000 km and I have tried a number of different tyres but never managed more than 8500 km (Pirelli Scorpoins).

By 2010 when the 10,000 km in 10 days ride is on it would be 4 years old, and I normally change bikes every 2 - 3 years. If I'm financial enough I may look at keeping the VStrom and buying a second hand bike that is kinder on tyres.

An oil change can be done on the side of the road, or at your campsite.
Making space to carry oil is cheaper than a new bike...

The Pastor
28th March 2008, 13:35
cbr250rr. needs tyres + oil at 5000km but man up.

lanci
28th March 2008, 17:20
Superbike magazine would recommend what someone else has already mentioned, BMW or Honda. I think the 1200 beemer sport tourer or 1300 pan euro is a good bet (BMW 1st, Honda 2nd according to their test). The test ride article mentioned a few summary points that I could find for you if you like???

lanci
28th March 2008, 17:23
I mustn't forget my preferred brand, the Ducati Multistrada, supposed to be great despite questionable looks.........

Jantar
28th March 2008, 17:50
An oil change can be done on the side of the road, or at your campsite.
Making space to carry oil is cheaper than a new bike...

If was just the oil, then I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd simply use a high quality synthetic and push it to the 10,000 kms. But I'm not into changing tyres at the side of the road.

However that is why I'm starting to think about 2 years ahead. Normally I'd trade in this winter, but I haven't used the bike much in the past few months, and I'll have another 2 - 3 month break from riding shortly.

So the options are:
Trade in the Vstrom on a new one in winter 2009, and hire a ST1300 or similar for the 10000 km ride, (most likely option at this stage).
Or trade in the Vstrom in winter 2009 for a new ST1300 or similar, (not so likely as it wouldn't suit the majority of my riding).
Or keep the Vstrom for an extra year and buy a second hand ST1300 or similar, (a possibility).
Or use the Vstrom for the ride, and hope I can find a shop that can do an overnight service and tyre change at the end of day 6. (my preferred option) Then trade in the Vstrom on new one that winter.

Ixion
28th March 2008, 18:02
Ask Mr Bonez for the loan of a maggot. It won't even notice a mere 10000 km.

paturoa
28th March 2008, 18:09
..... and hope I can find a shop that can do an overnight service and tyre change at the end of day 6.....

How far ahead do you find out the route?

Jantar
28th March 2008, 18:56
Don't know yet, but it should be far enough ahead to plan overnight stops. The thing is, not many bike shops like someone asking if they drop the bike off at 9:00 pm for a service and tyres, and pick it up at 8:00 am.

Hinny
29th March 2008, 06:22
I said "close too". And anyway, we had some maniac on an ST pushing us hard...

And anyway, who bet who to Kaitaia?

Comments like this are common from fellow riders when you ride a Pan.
You think you are just cruising and they think you are racing.

Buying a low mileage grey import ST1100 is a good option in my opinion. You just have to be careful on those bikes that have their speedos reading MPH as it is really easy to forget. Find yourself cruising at 100 - 110 thinking you are keeping legal.

Hinny
29th March 2008, 06:27
Don't know yet, but it should be far enough ahead to plan overnight stops. The thing is, not many bike shops like someone asking if they drop the bike off at 9:00 pm for a service and tyres, and pick it up at 8:00 am.

Drop off during day, start riding earlier.

Hitcher
30th March 2008, 15:02
The FJR1300. But of course I would say that, now wouldn't I?

Jantar
30th March 2008, 15:13
The FJR1300. But of course I would say that, now wouldn't I?
Of course you would say that. But the big question is: How far do you get on a rear tyre?

Hitcher
30th March 2008, 15:18
How far do you get on a rear tyre?

At least 16,000km off an Avon Storm. 10,000km service intervals too on an FJR. I would also recommend a sheepskin and pile cream.

sAsLEX
30th March 2008, 15:23

Where is halfway? I cant see a problem with getting tires changed halfway/part way through at a store. Hitcher changed tires on his last sojourn.

The bike is absolutely up to it - as you'd expect from this sort of bike. On the Mini's Reutrn it just hummed along - we kept pretty close to the speed limit and the bike gave an average of 17.7km/l for the whole trip (better than Mark's Bandit 12) with a range of around the 350km mark.

Big vs Small I get a Avg. Kilometres/Litre:13.96

Which covers some touring but mainly fanging on a CBR600RR, and a range of 200ish

seriously consider a modern 600

Like a CBR!

or an Honda.

See above!

Or use the Vstrom for the ride, and hope I can find a shop that can do an overnight service and tyre change at the end of day 6. (my preferred option)

I reckon if you find a few others on the trip you could pre-arrange a store to stay open a bit later. Ten people with pre ordered tires would make it worth their while to keep a member of staff on to switch tires, and you could do the oil at the same time if required.

Where is day 6?

rasty
30th March 2008, 20:44
I mustn't forget my preferred brand, the Ducati Multistrada, supposed to be great despite questionable looks.........

Shoot this man for lack of soul. Only question re Muiltistrada looks is are they fantastic or merely superb?

Taz
31st March 2008, 18:23
Some tyre mileages from a V-Strom 1000 over the last 160,000kms.

Tires-I prefer the 'old' Tourance. here is the mileage from all the tires I've tried.
original Bridgestone F & R-9907mi. these were the worst.
Dunlop rear 9691mi. next worst tire.
Pirelli Scorpion fronts 21899 & 18985mi, Pirelli scorp rear 9216mi. good tires.
Tourances fronts 16147, 18018. Front EXP at +14000.
Tourances rear 12,992, 14775, 14601, 13744. Front EXP 8948.

Remember these are Miles not km's.

Full story here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323749

Use a tourance on the rear and your strom will be fine for the ride.
Find somewhere off the beaten track and dump your oil and refill yourself. No need to do the filter.

Andy.

Jantar
31st March 2008, 19:58
Some tyre mileages from a V-Strom 1000 over the last 160,000kms.....
I have seen simialr claims from other USA riders, but that is not a fair comparisom with New Zealand's roads.

My experiences are 6500 km (not miles) from the origional TWs, 5800 km from Battle wings, 8500 km from Scorpions and these are almost identical to the tourance in compound and tread.

In 25,000 km so far no tyres have managed 10,000 km, and I haven't spoken to any other New Zealand riders who have managed it either.

RiderInBlack
31st March 2008, 20:57
In 25,000 km so far no tyres have managed 10,000 km, and I haven't spoken to any other New Zealand riders who have managed it either.
Used to be well known among North Is Riders that South Is roads were harder wearing on ya tyres than North Is roads. I think I remember being told it was due to the courser, harder, road chip that is used in South Is. I tended to get less tyre life out of my tyres in your neck of the woods Jantar than up here. What are the USA Roads like? Less twisties would really add life ta ya tyre too.
Are V-Stroms harder wearing on tyres than other bikes ya had? The Z6's offen gave me 10,000km out of the rear on "Roxanne" (the CBR1000FL) and more from the from the front.
But would still look at a 3/4 point set-up for at least a rear tyre change day 6 or 7 doing what ya planning ta do just ta be on the safe side.

Paranoid Android
31st March 2008, 21:12
the v stroms are great long distance bikes. doing that milage you will struggle with most bikes. i would seek a change and stick to your bike. but the smaller cc bike are far less tyre wearing than the bigger bikes. but there is nothing i would suggest over the mighty v

:headbang: honda rules

MaxB
31st March 2008, 22:50
How about another same colour V-Strom and also keep your old one? When you ride past your home swap over to a freshly serviced bike on new tyres! Is that allowed? Then flick one off after the rally.

MaxB
31st March 2008, 23:09
Seriously, have you considered buying a spare set of wheels and doing a pit stop at a pre arranged point? I have seen a V Strom with wire wheels. I may be wrong but I thought they were 17 and 19 inch sizes so it should be fairly easy to get something to fit.

Hinny
1st April 2008, 06:22
Which covers some touring but mainly fanging on a CBR600RR, and a range of 200ish

200ish KPH squirts?

Taz
1st April 2008, 07:18
I have seen simialr claims from other USA riders, but that is not a fair comparisom with New Zealand's roads.

My experiences are 6500 km (not miles) from the origional TWs, 5800 km from Battle wings, 8500 km from Scorpions and these are almost identical to the tourance in compound and tread.

Like I said try a tourance. I got 13000kms out of one without being kind to it. Still had a 1000kms in it I reckon.

sels1
1st April 2008, 07:34
Have you had a decent look at the Triumph Tiger Malcolm? (old style or new)
Sit up comfort, long range tank, long service interval etc

Course I am a bit biased but they are good long distance bikes

idb
1st April 2008, 07:38
My Darmah did something like what you are looking for last year in Europe.
Buy a Darmah.

BMWST?
23rd December 2008, 19:27
really dont think the mileage will be a problem for the oil...its norammly short runs,cold starts etc that kill the oil...if you are that worried book a service midway....ring them before you get there,and they will know you are in a hurry..have a nice lunch/rest while you wait...wuould take 30 mins max i would think....

Moki
23rd December 2008, 21:09

Done nearly 20,000 kms on a set of Pirelli Scorpions on a 1150GS ADV...

Jantar
23rd December 2008, 21:41
Just fitted a new Scorpion on the rear. It managed 8500 km this time. the front has done 6000 and looks like it is around half worn.

scumdog
23rd December 2008, 22:00
Just fitted a new Scorpion on the rear. It managed 8500 km this time. the front has done 6000 and looks like it is around half worn.

Hell, my H-D Dunlop had 22,000km on it when I replaced it - and would still almost have got a WOF!

NighthawkNZ
23rd December 2008, 22:05
i have michellen Road Pilots (But not the dual compound...) and get around 10,000 on the rear and 15,000 on the front...

but apparently they only have the dual compound now so I don't know for my next tyre.... however, the firestorm isn't that heavy, so it probably won't be too bad

Gremlin
24th December 2008, 00:11

my rear lasted 8500, front is rather knackered too, turned quite triangular, including the 1000km gentle run in period... so they won't really last much longer. Depends how you ride it, I found taking off from the lights a bit fast and doing a little wheelie rather addictive, ruins the back tyre tho. Spinning it up on gravel roads also reduces tyre life rather drastically.

Fudmucker
24th December 2008, 01:37
I did 6 700kms in 11 days of general touring this past March - on a 1200GS.
2 new tyres were fitted to start off but by the end, the centre line of the rear tyre was down to the wear indicators and the edges still had the hairs on!
(Long Straight roads) The bike was serviced before I left and only needed another 15 000k later. Fully synthetic oil.

I ended up replacing the entire clutch afterward (the previous owner's riding style, I am convinced, as my previous R80/7 went 76 000kms on the clutch in the bike when I bought it) but that was not indicative of the machine.

I was accompanied by 3 other BMW's - a 1200GSA, a 1200RT and a K1200GT. They all made it easily - another 3 300k in the same time would have been child's play.
:rockon:

Enjoy the ride - unchain yourself and ride a 1200 BMW...!:innocent:

longwayfromhome
24th December 2008, 12:00
You ask about a suitable bike. There have been 3 and a bit suggestions for these, but amongst quite a few BMW riders in the US, the GS is highly regarded as an all-round touring bike. You have a recommendation on tires that will last the distance on these. You have a recommendation to handle the servicing intervals. A good second-hand R1150GS with ABS would be a top bike for a hard Iron-Butt-type rally. Some would prefer the 1150 over the 1200 because of even better reliability.

At the end of the rally you are then left with a first-class all-round bike. Additionally, if you look to keep it for a while, you can increasingly "improve" it with various add-ons that make the whole Iron-Butt thing more-and-more attractive.

Do not be fooled by by the fact that the US contains large quantities of freeways....it is also riddled with twisty, remote, attractive and empty roads, whole states and regions of them, wherein reside flocks of GS and other riders. The experience of IB'ers there is directly relevant to NZ.

mangell6
24th December 2008, 16:20
2001 FZ1 161,000kms (so far) - Service every 10,000km. Been using Contis for the last 60,000 and am now trying the new Conti-Motions after having used the Conti-Maxs and lately the ContiRoad Attacks. Have always got 9-10,000kms out of a rear tire and 12-17,000 out of the fronts - always depends though.

Am trying a new acceleration method of hard out of corners, easing off on the throttle as the bike becomes upright. My theory is that there always seems to be more tread on the sides of the tires than the centre. :innocent:

BMWST?
24th December 2008, 16:59
Am trying a new acceleration method of hard out of corners, easing off on the throttle as the bike becomes upright. My theory is that there always seems to be more tread on the sides of the tires than the centre. :innocent:

be careful with that one....

The Pastor
26th December 2008, 19:18
cbr250 would do it no sweat.

TLDV8
26th December 2008, 19:35
KLR 650.

Even the DR 650 would be viable,light,handles well,tyre changes and servicing are as close as the nearest motel car park.
About the only thing i would change is the gearing to suit the slower speed limit,it would be lugging at 100 kph and add a Corbin.
With a Sarfari tank it would be a lunch stop and top up for a 1000 km day.

I dismissed big singles forever then actually rode one. :laugh: they are not bad and eat the miles no problem.

LBD
12th January 2009, 02:39
Mate, I think the questian has to be more complex than which bike does every one recomend. I am not the tallest at 5'7" and for me the Monster is a good physical size but on a trip like the 10000km, the Monster would not be best. (I have put my name down for the 10 000 ride and will be on the Monster.)
But then, neither would the reputable tourer the GS 1200, its too big and heavy for me. I just completed 7000km on Norwegian roads on a GS (Two up). I did a few solo excursions and it made no diffrence to how I felt about the bike, I was not big enough to throw it around even though I was attacking the road pretty agressively at times. The Norwegian roads are not unlike NZ roads, some straight, some tight n twisty. Although the surface was predominantly smooth asphalt. For me, the likes of a SV 650 would suit the job best for one up riding long distance in NZ (or Norway)
The tires were Michelin somethings and still had 2000 km left at the end, not bad for two up touring.
Service and tyres for the 10 000km? I will use as sticky as I can find that will last say 6000km and will pre plan a 5000km pit stop.

Gremlin
16th January 2009, 01:26
Having just done the SI trip, I can report that the South Island certainly chews tyres faster than the North Island, probably in 2/3 the time of a tyre on North Island roads... so just be aware that North Islanders giving tyre life won't equate to South Island roads.

If it were me, I would probably try to plan a special service with a shop somewhere around the middle of the trip, that you know, or is prepared to be open later to help you out?

Hinny
17th January 2009, 09:59
Our South Island excursion over Xmas left me feeling very happy with my choice of bike. The Honda Pan European is a superb bike.
The weather protection afforded by the big screen and full fairing meant I was the only one to arrive at Wgtn. dry.
The Southern Coast wind didn't beat me up and leave me exhausted as it did the other riders.
Gravel roads were no problem.
500kms+ fuel range didn't get much of a work out as I had to stop for the Sprots bike riders every 200 odd kms. - kinda frustrating.
Carried enough gear to keep me on the road permanently.
Low centre of gravity gives 250cc style handling.
Lights are superb.

Only fault I found with it was that it goes too fast. :Police:

McJim
17th January 2009, 10:11
I thought all jappas had 6,000km service intervals. That's one of the reasons I bought a Ducati - reliability and cheaper parts and I can tell you that I have not been disappointed. I believe Ducati do a really uncomfortable range called ST (ST2, ST3, ST4) for people that like to ride a bike like they're sitting on the loo and risking tailbone damage. I would choose a SS1000DS but that's me matbe a multistrada would suit you? The new ones have 12,000km service intervals.

ducatijim
17th January 2009, 19:59
Just like TLDV8 says( almost!)...get a DR650....will do it all nooo probs!

She's not fussy 'bout service, stock OEM Deathwings just won't wear out,....

.....and,.... if moneys too tight for a Corbin, just make friends with a surgeon to remove her from ya butt cheeks when ya gets home Malcolm!!!!

Sweeet as!

Hinny
18th January 2009, 10:18
Ducati - reliability

That's not what I heard. :rolleyes:

Tony W
18th January 2009, 11:55
If I were to do this trip I would choose a BMW R1100/1150 RT.
Its upright seating position is the key to comfortable long distances.
As with my RS, its oil change intervals are 10,000 km.
My Z6 Metzelers lasted 15,000km.

...If anyone has an RT and wants to do a swappy...

Tony W
31st August 2009, 20:06
Put my money where my mouth was and bought an RT last month.
Perfect for me. No more sore back and neck! :sunny:

LBD
31st August 2009, 20:39
If I were to do this trip I would choose a BMW R1100/1150 RT.
Its upright seating position is the key to comfortable long distances.
As with my RS, its oil change intervals are 10,000 km.
My Z6 Metzelers lasted 15,000km.

...If anyone has an RT and wants to do a swappy...

I found that with the one I rode in Europe....I also found that 4 L of diesel and 2 cans of octane booster in a full tank make little difference to the performance....Bit of smoke but...

So...are you doing the 10 000 trip?

grbaker
1st September 2009, 13:48
10,000kms in 10 days... that'll hurt.

Anyway did 10,100kms in July across Oz (roads all the way) on a DL650 VStorm. It did it with ease and the tires still has another 5,000kms in them.

The wife road a BMW G650GS which also did the ride well.

Travelling on avg about 110kph the bike had a 400km+ range.. which is why we selected those bikes.

We found the bike didn't limit our daily ride range, but the comfort of our arses (which was worse up around Darwin where it was rather hot).

I found the VStorm lacking in brakes and little dull in acceration, but pretty good for the trip. The wife couldn't fault her BMWer at all (although the single banger was a bit loud).

Tony W
1st September 2009, 17:39
So...are you doing the 10 000 trip?

...not just yet, but want to do a circuit of the Sth Island at Xmas time.:scooter:

mangell6
1st September 2009, 19:19
Do it twice for practice :sweatdrop

LBD
1st September 2009, 20:20
Do it twice for practice :sweatdrop

Which might come to 5000 km...

Gezza
1st September 2009, 20:51
A FJR and you'll do it with ease. I may be slightly biased though.
Gaz

LBD
1st September 2009, 21:30
Gaz

It might but will you?....Lugging a 1/4 tonne of bike around NZs twistiest?

Monsters the bike for me....

Quick service and tyre change in Welly waiting for the ferry, and its all systems go

Hitcher
1st September 2009, 22:19

You're not biased at all!

AllanB
1st September 2009, 23:06
As far as a 'engine service' goes unless it is going to be due for a valve check during the 10k I doubt it will be required - put in a quality semi or full synthetic oil and a new filter before the trip and it will be just fine for the duration. I suspect it will actually come out cleaner after 10k in 10 days than 6k in 6 months of short stop start riding.
If you are worried check your owners handbook, as the shop may tell you 6k but you may find the factory actually stipulates twice this (as my Honda manual does).

LBD
2nd September 2009, 02:54
As far as a 'engine service' goes unless it is going to be due for a valve check during the 10k I doubt it will be required - put in a quality semi or full synthetic oil and a new filter before the trip and it will be just fine for the duration. I suspect it will actually come out cleaner after 10k in 10 days than 6k in 6 months of short stop start riding.
If you are worried check your owners handbook, as the shop may tell you 6k but you may find the factory actually stipulates twice this (as my Honda manual does).

Mine will get new oil and filter and tires in Welly at about 6500 from last service....whether it needs it or not....

sinned
2nd September 2009, 11:47
Choose the bike best suited to you for the ride and forget the manufacture's service schedule and tyre wear rates.

Don't do a service - run the bike the full 10,000kms. This doesn't mean don't check the oil level and top up if necessary. Manufacturer's set a service schedule distance to meet a number of factors, including expected type of running and income for dealers. On this trip the motor will be making only 10 cold starts, about 20 warm starts and a few other hot starts. Also the motor will not be stressed - unless you plan to make a race out the trip. Suzuki have a 6k service cycle and Triumph a 10k cycle - what is the logic to this?

There is a small risk of an argument with a dealer if you have a warranty issue with the motor but I think it is a risk worth taking. If you use your current bike this may be irrelevant.

Tyres are going to wear out and a lower risk approach is to replace during the trip and I would plan to do this early. The rear on the Vstrom is wearing out at 8500kms so I would plan to change at 6000kms and make arrangements with a shop to do this. Why not change the tyre during the day, while having a food break? If the shop is expecting you the job can be done in under 45mins.

Buying a bike you don't like just because of a long service schedule makes no sense.

KoroJ
2nd September 2009, 18:29
It might but will you?....Lugging a 1/4 tonne of bike around NZs twistiest?

Monsters the bike for me....

Quick service and tyre change in Welly waiting for the ferry, and its all systems go

You make it sound like you will be carrying the bike??

LBD
2nd September 2009, 18:35
You make it sound like you will be carrying the bike??

Every one has different opinions and I respect that....I have tried heavy and light, my personal choice is for a lighter more nimble bike for one up touring...