PDA

View Full Version : Marshalling

Gubb
26th March 2008, 16:45
I've got an interest in having a go at Marshalling a few races. I've got a comprehensive First Aid Cert, and have done a Fire Safety course through work, so I think I have the required skillset.

But what I really wanna know is, would it be of a benefit to my riding? I've only been on a bike for a total of 6 months now (I go for my 6R tomorrow). Will I actually learn by watching the Pro's, or will it teach me bad habits that i'm not ready for?

I don't have the urge to start racing (...yet), as I need a lot more experience first (perhaps Buckets if I can ever afford it). I've flicked off my email address to someone called Angela who seems to be pretty helpful, maybe I should just go along and see.

Any suggestions? Or is it the sort of thing that once you start, you'll never stop?

Gremlin
26th March 2008, 18:09
me:
first aid cert: nup
fire safety course: nup
ability to lift broken bikes onto utes: yep
ability to run and check on dumbasses who fell off: yep

seems you're over qualified :clap:

Seriously tho... don't think you will learn much riding wise, but its a good way of spending a bit of downtime, and the guys can't race without us. You get a ring side seat to the action, and even meet some of the grubby ones (they did just go through *insert various ground cover* :whistle:)

However, personally, fuck racing after I have picked up 11 in 2 days, and know first hand about the bales etc. Granted, most of my marshalling has been done at pukie, which isn't exactly the safest track :crazy:

MIXONE
26th March 2008, 18:14
I sat go for it mate.Best seat in the house for watching the action and racing can't happen without people willing to put their hands up to do the volunteer stuff.Good way to meet fellow bike enthusiasts to.:2thumbsup

Meekey_Mouse
26th March 2008, 18:53
You can also marshal at trackdays if the track day company need a volunteer... They are a good way to start.

It's usually good fun out there, I like to watch peoples lines and see the difference between the fast guys and the slow guys.

If you're looking at bucket racing... Have a look at the Streetstock class :)

GaZBur
26th March 2008, 19:04
I think Marshals are HEROES! Without you we aren't allowed to ride and although I have often thanked officials I have never actually thanked a flag marshal. Well except way back in the old days when I used to ride bikes that were too heavy to lift of my leg myself.

Thank You!
Thank You!
Thank You!

Go for it - once you are into the scene you may want to have a go yourself and you will know some of the ropes.

Burrt Badger
26th March 2008, 20:41
You get to watch all riders real close, and you can see the different lines and how they affect overall corner speed, entry speed, exit speed and bike control. Do it, cause whilst you are not actually riding, you can learn a lot. And then at the end of the day, talk to some of the riders you watched. You will be amazed at what can be learnt from close up.

BIGBOSSMAN
26th March 2008, 21:49
I was a marshall back in the '80's for a few seasons at Puke when Holden, Freeth, Farrow, Scott were doing their thing. It's the closest I was allowed to get as far as racing was concerned (gee thanx mum), it's a great way to watch racers doing what you'd dearly love to be doing...