PDA

View Full Version : JIALING HONDA 50cc? or other bike for begginer with "limited" budget

BANZAI
26th March 2008, 21:26
Hi guys, Im looking for my first bike and came across with this one and just want to get some opinion from you guys...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-145958000.htm

It needs registration and assembly but I guess I can do it...

My budget is about $1500+ so I thought this would be perfect, but should I get something else?

I want anything but not Scooter and it have to be manual! Is there anything else you can reccomend and on sale??

Or should I just be realistic and get cheap scooter?? :crybaby:

2wheeljunkie
26th March 2008, 22:14
hey bud welcome to being a biker..or becoming one...but your already there in spirit..i personally wouldnt want to ride around in a 50cc manual bike..but i know what a budget means and its a pain when your restricted to a certain amount you can spend..nonetheless im sure you could find a suzuki fxr150 for 2k..thats the amount i sold mine for anywhere and she was nothing short of a gem..you could also go for a 2nd hand gn125...i will look up tomorrow for ya sum on trademe and post it up..im just extremely tired from writing my blimen report to do it now..good luck anyways and welcome to the awesome world of motorcycles..:banana:

Squiggles
26th March 2008, 22:25
fxr's can be gotten for as little as $1800 for a decent one, gn's can also be gotten cheap, as can dual purpose 250's I'd stay clear of the 50cc manual, not enough guts for safe city use

HungusMaximist
26th March 2008, 22:40
Like everybody has been saying...

I vouch that you save up a few hundy more and get yourself something with a litte more balls and reputation.

You could always offer Steven a few hundy for his SUPER-STURDY GN's.

Or maybe you scourer the wreckers and convince him to piece you up with crap-ola salsa of a bike. :msn-wink:

klyong82
26th March 2008, 22:46
Just buy a FXR for around $2000 to 2200. Dont forget to include capital for safety gears. Get a decent reputable Japan made bike and not the China made bikes (with the exception of a GN). Trust me you wont have problem with repairs and parts. FXR150 has super reliable engines and try to stay away from 2 stroke engines as first bikes. If you need help give us a a yell and we will accompany you to have a look at the bikes.

HungusMaximist
26th March 2008, 22:52
Just buy a FXR for around $2000 to 2200. Dont forget to include capital for safety gears. Get a decent reputable Japan made bike and not the China made bikes (with the exception of a GN). Trust me you wont have problem with repairs and parts. FXR150 has super reliable engines and try to stay away from 2 stroke engines as first bikes. If you need help give us a a yell and we will accompany you to have a look at the bikes.

Kim is a top bloke and he is full of interesting advice.

I can say from personal experience he knows the roads of Naki pretty well, that is, if you decide to head down that way.

Just make sure you pump him up full of food/caffeine or he get's cranky.. :msn-wink:

klyong82
26th March 2008, 23:01
Kim is a top bloke and he is full of interesting advice.

I can say from personal experience he knows the roads of Naki pretty well, that is, if you decide to head down that way.

Just make sure you pump him up full of food/caffeine or he get's cranky.. :msn-wink:

Well i wish we had more time to do some sight seeing since we travelled so far. Crazy drive but exciting. Yeah got a little cranky on the way back....haha!! Well my current car wont do long trips hahaa

motorbyclist
27th March 2008, 00:18
if you buy that bike, remember to budget for helmet $200, gloves $80 and jacket $300, plus you'll pretty quickly want some new tyres that actually maintain traction $200(?). the SMC can help with discounts and finding prices lower than the ballpark mid range figures i just pulled from my ass.

12 months full insurance cover $300-$500 (pays to register it under a parent with you as a named rider)

NZ MOTO ltd. doesn't turn up on google, so i suspect that seller could be bullshitting you and trying to pass off chinese crap as a honda.

how hard pushed would you be to get a slightly bigger bike? (you'd need 80 bucks for the bike licence). an FXR150 is a very good learner bike, and cheap too. once saw one sell for $1500, but expect to see $1800-$2800 in auckland. winter will work in your favour on this one;)

it's advised to have someone who knows what they're looking at look at any bike before buying. feel free to ask, we'd love an excuse to go tyre kicking and test pilot-ing

then again, it might actually be a honda and be very reliable. if you want to be our ginuea pig by all means do buy it and report your findings:)

welcome to biking!

motorbyclist
27th March 2008, 00:31
13 FXR listings on trademe right now (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&mcat=0001-0026-1255-&sidebar=1&39=&40=Suzuki&153=fxr*&9=0&9=250&24=0&24=0&51=0&51=0&x=47&y=17)

could probably get this one for $1800 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-146037932.htm?key=1249252) - bikes rarely see 70,000kms mainly due to cars, but it'd definetly pay to check she's not about to explode.

note most fxrs are from 5000 to 30000kms and all cost the same. price variation is mainly due to damage and sellers trying to make money on them.

just remember the 0-250cc bike doesn't depreciate, so losing money isn't an issue provided you insure it (another $300)

Squiggles
27th March 2008, 07:03
we'd love an excuse to go tyre kicking and test pilot-ing

my fav part :D

2wheeljunkie
27th March 2008, 09:37
ohh..ohhh..can i come tyre kickin??..pls pls..i promise to be nice when inspecting the potential bikes..:buggerd:..

Finn
27th March 2008, 09:39
These guys are right. You'd even be better off with a second hand GN250. This thing is a steaming pile of turd.

ehab2weelr
27th March 2008, 11:04
yea man dont ever buy a 50cc, i mean an fxr has just enough power to get u on the motorway and shel almost be redlining but they do the job for new riders. so out of all bikes to start on i recommend the FXR150, look hot and have some guts.

2wheeljunkie
27th March 2008, 11:23
now now ...u wont be redlining on the motorway..you'll only redline at 145 km/hr..top legal motorway speed is 100km/hr and so you'll be fine at that speed...:calm:..i know this as i owned an fxr..soo yea you'll be sweet as even at 110...motor will be revving high though as its a single cylinder but thats just the way their built...

Morcs
27th March 2008, 11:43
that Moto 50 is the gayest thing I have ever seen.

Keep a look out for Gilera Dna's. they are rad.

BANZAI
27th March 2008, 22:22
Thanks for lots of replies guys!!!

I could push it to 1800 but its in very hard line coz need to buy safety gears.

Yea I thought about GN150 and I do really want it actually, but there werent any of them in trade me when I looked it...

I prefer ones doesnt have cowls like GN... I want those vintage british bikes sometime in future!!!

Something that can be used for daily commuter and fun to ride, Max $1800...

I have googled Jialing Honda and it is official chinese honda branch but the website doesnt have anything about the moto50. Can someone read Chinese? I cant, so I dont know if theres web page for that bike...

Or my mate's mate can offer me Yamaha Scooter(maybe Jog?? done know yet) for $900....

motorbyclist
27th March 2008, 23:38
Thanks for lots of replies guys!!!

I could push it to 1800 but its in very hard line coz need to buy safety gears.

Yea I thought about GN150 and I do really want it actually, but there werent any of them in trade me when I looked it...

I prefer ones doesnt have cowls like GN... I want those vintage british bikes sometime in future!!!

Something that can be used for daily commuter and fun to ride, Max $1800...

I have googled Jialing Honda and it is official chinese honda branch but the website doesnt have anything about the moto50. Can someone read Chinese? I cant, so I dont know if theres web page for that bike...

Or my mate's mate can offer me Yamaha Scooter(maybe Jog?? done know yet) for $900....

good to see you aren't compromising on the gear

there's nothing wrong with a scooter, they're just a bit less stable and cant stop as fast yet - everyone seems to think they're somehow less likely to get hurt falling off a scooter (or bicycle) at 50kph as opposed to falling off a motorbike at 50kph

yamaha jog, i hear, is a pretty good scooter as far as 50cc goes. still want to check it out incase it's a lemon.

can't hit up the student loan for another $500?
"transport costs":whistle:

BANZAI
28th March 2008, 09:14
can't hit up the student loan for another $500?
"transport costs":whistle:

Im one of those "international students" (now you know why I have odd Engrish) so cant apply for student loan and I should be able to get (ie. My parents should buy me) Lexus IS200, RX-8, Evo's, Ninja, Hayabusa etc....:whistle:

But in reality Im poor as everyone, I do work but money comes money goes...

So yea...I need something reasonablly priced!!!!

Oh and not GN150, GN125 :Oops:

klyong82
28th March 2008, 09:25
Im one of those "international students" (now you know why I have odd Engrish) so cant apply for student loan and I should be able to get (ie. My parents should buy me) Lexus IS200, RX-8, Evo's, Ninja, Hayabusa etc....:whistle:

But in reality Im poor as everyone, I do work but money comes money goes...

So yea...I need something reasonablly priced!!!!

Oh and not GN150, GN125 :Oops:

Then you need a financial controller in money management....that would be me. Hey I wonder if SMC can open a side business a financial arm loaning out to poor bikers at favourable rates of 25% per annum compounded daily. Yeah will see Stevo driving a BMW not long after.

The GN's are good commuter bikes plus you can still use it for rides. Cannot do that with a 50cc or scooter. Keep looking on trademe for an FXR150....think it is still a good solid bike.

2wheeljunkie
28th March 2008, 10:04
dunt be swayed to buy a scooter bud..like i said i know yer budget is tight but for an extra 200 dollars u got get a 2k fxr and then u can come on rides with us..isnt that wat u want..:rolleyes:...there's a gn 125 on trademe ...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-146539327.htm?p=1

says its got a dent on the tank though so guess u gotta check it out..its goin for 2 grand though but im sure u can haggle the guy..!:Pokey:

Squiggles
28th March 2008, 10:09
GN125... Just get the 250 version :)

klyong82
28th March 2008, 10:40
GN125... Just get the 250 version :)

+1 ...pretty much the same price

Squiggles
28th March 2008, 10:59
+1 ...pretty much the same price

and parts are everywhere

BANZAI
28th March 2008, 11:05
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-147463903.htm

Buy now for 15k!!!! :lol:

Well, Im not gonna go pick up to Invervargille!!!!!

JimO
28th March 2008, 12:59
Deviant Esq has a NZ 250 suzuki for sale on here they are a great little bike and better value than a GN he could be negotiable on his price This isnt his its my sons....http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/DSCF2317.jpg

Deviant Esq
28th March 2008, 14:07
Deviant Esq has a NZ 250 suzuki for sale on here they are a great little bike and better value than a GN he could be negotiable on his price This isnt his its my sons....http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/DSCF2317.jpg
The link for mine is in my signature. Sure, a bit negotiable, but it sure would cost a bit getting it all the way to Auckland :pinch:

JimO
28th March 2008, 15:06
The link for mine is in my signature. Sure, a bit negotiable, but it sure would cost a bit getting it all the way to Auckland :pinch:

then there is my comission

Deviant Esq
28th March 2008, 15:12
then there is my comission
You saying you'd ride it all the way up there for him then? ;)

BANZAI
28th March 2008, 21:31
Hey I got your message!!! Hmm chch....

I saw some other nice looking 125cc or 250cc in trademe, and its also in chch!!

That my mate's mate which I mentioned in previous post also have 125cc scooter for $1200 so I'll go have a look at it on sunday...

But still I want proper mortorbike :crybaby:

Hmm found something interesting
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=69270

Squiggles
28th March 2008, 21:54
Hey I got your message!!! Hmm chch....

I saw some other nice looking 125cc or 250cc in trademe, and its also in chch!!

That my mate's mate which I mentioned in previous post also have 125cc scooter for $1200 so I'll go have a look at it on sunday...

You have a pm, read it.

Give me a txt and add me to msn: squigglesxv@hotmail.com

:)

ehab2weelr
28th March 2008, 21:59
looks nice but its done way too much for a 250.....
cant say how much life is left in it...

ehab2weelr
28th March 2008, 22:04
how bout this...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-146505282.htm

ehab2weelr
28th March 2008, 22:17
or this...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-147577586.htm

stephen can help u get it up to shape....:buggerd: :lol:

ehab2weelr
28th March 2008, 22:20
how bout somthing different...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-146741967.htm?key=1013520
or...http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-145717878.htm?key=1013520

BANZAI
28th March 2008, 22:44
Hey thanks for the help.

How much would the shipping be tho?

Also I want to have a look at it myself so something sold in auckland is better...

Squiggles
29th March 2008, 06:48
something sold in auckland is better...

always, as you can then check it out at least. Shipping is around $400-500 From the south island, depending on how far south it is

motorbyclist
29th March 2008, 13:51
Hey thanks for the help.

How much would the shipping be tho?

Also I want to have a look at it myself so something sold in auckland is better...

though i'm sure there's plenty of guys on KB who would gladly check out a bike for you if it's in their area. bikes are generally cheaper outside of auckland.

have you looked at the bikes on sale on this forum?

kave
29th March 2008, 14:06
Nothing wrong with this bike

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Other/auction-147055278.htm?key=427231

Squiggles
29th March 2008, 18:25
Expand your horizons guys, theres more to looking for a bike than just trademe
Heres an example (yeah i know, fzr's came with fairings so its been down before, and i could only be bothered searching in the auckland suburbs)
http://www.te.co.nz/Motoring-Marine/Motorbikes/Motorbikes-Buy/Sell/260-3-4_ad-2312925.htm

He should get something with sub 40,000k's on it

BANZAI
29th March 2008, 21:20
Hey guys, slight change of situation now.

I could push it to about $2500 now.

However, can I get bike in that price range from dealers?
Dealers bike should have been checked properly and got warranty so its better than buying from personal trading isnt it???

Also how much would the insurance cost? I heard its about 700 per year...

And something that can sell pretty quick if i need to sell, coz its my last year at uni and I might leave NZ depends where I get job and do get job or not...

klyong82
29th March 2008, 21:51

Dealers bike should have been checked properly and got warranty so its better than buying from personal trading isnt it???

And something that can sell pretty quick if i need to sell, coz its my last year at uni and I might leave NZ depends where I get job and do get job or not...

I think dealers usually sell nothing below $3000 unless you want a vespa. Dealers will give you up to 3 months of warranty. Not necessary that buying from a dealer is guaranteed it has been check out. If you read the forums it is often you hear bikes breaking down after a few days buying from a dealer.

If you have a NZ bike licence then I think it is cheaper than using your overseas licence. But I think it is around that mark perhaps more and our excess is $1000 usually. $2500 budget how about a Suzuki Bandit 250cc.....cool bikes.

Squiggles
29th March 2008, 21:53

msn me, i think you'll be around the price of the stuff that dealers get as tradeins, but the not so great condition ones
Dealer warranty's on anything second hand usually only last for 3 months, in which time nothing haapens ;) Or something minor happens but they dont do the proper job of fixing it, and then 3 months is over before it reoccurs

Buying private is fine as long as you get someone who knows what they're looking for to come along too. And do a bit of research before you go. (Little bits, like knowing how the C model ZXR250's are prone to having the fork tubes pitt, and the camchains are pretty crap (i remember this from when i went to look at a zxr for jafa... only it wasnt a zxr, it was an nz250 :lol:)). Also good to look for bodge fixes too. There are plenty of goodies out there, but a few lemons mixed among them

BANZAI
30th March 2008, 00:29
Bad news... I cant tell what exactly happend but I think I should stop posting for this thread now coz I can't spend $2500 on bike and maybe cant buy bike at all for now....

I will make new thread or post it here again when I sort the problem out...

Thanks for all the posts and sorry....

motorbyclist
30th March 2008, 14:28
oh gutted mate!

hope it all comes right for you

though if you're only in NZ for 6 months (something we didn't know at the start of this thread) i reckon that 50cc chinese bike would probably last that long

BANZAI
30th March 2008, 18:25
Yea its something todo with staying in NZ or not as well...

Ill see whats gonna happen for now...

gijoe1313
1st April 2008, 20:05
Grab yourself an A100! :woohoo: :scooter: Actually, they are in demand at the moment due to the CCC thang going on... :innocent:

BANZAI
1st April 2008, 20:11
Interesting... How much would they be around?

I totally cant spend much on bike, I can just say cheaper the better....

Niterider
1st July 2008, 22:21
I happened to stay next to a guy that owns one a those Moto NZ50s. Must say, got some respect for 'em. He weighs 100kgs and rides to work on it - 70k's a day at a whopping 60 to 80km/l. That's almost cheaper than a pushbike!! I found the manufacturer's site and its a genuine Honda-Jialing bike. I guess if you are ok with the speed and power of a 50cc, it's way better than a scootie or an auto. At least this looks like a bike. Dunno how many of you can remember the old Honda SS50? This is a replica with the same engine. Check out www.nzmotorbikes.co.nz for more.