PDA

View Full Version : Replacing "Roxanne" (CBR1000FL)

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 14:13
Thought I better start another thread for this question:

OOOOh, is that your budget? Cool I think there are some good options of $10k. What style of bike are you after Doug? Same as Roxanne or are you keen to try something a little different this time? And what type of riding do you do these days? Has it changed at all lately?
My type of riding hasn't changed too much but am heading more touring than sports now. Yes I still like a good thrash, but long distance is more important for me.
Therefore I have got really picky about riding position.
Like ta be sitting more in the bike than on top of it.
Like the bars more out front of me (slightly up from "Roxanne" would be better but where hers are is OK) than below me. Busas, Blackbirds, ZX14 and VFR800s where too "low" for me (so full sports is right out of the picture). The Honda STs and BMW Tourers where spot on, as was my old VFR750 (Warr has that now).
Legs under me but more relaxed than what "Roxanne" gives me. The STs, BMWs, and VFR (800 and old 750) were sweet. Unit's ZX14 was OK for the legs, but as ya seat is higher than "Roxanne's", I felt I was on top of the bike rather than in it. This also made me feel that the bars where under me more than in front of me, even though side by side the bars looked to be in the same place (go figure).
Blade position on "Roxanne" and My old VFR750 was sweet. Just high enough ta put the wind on ya upper chest and shoulders with riding upright and easy ta tuck behind when ya wanted too. Have had "Roxanne" at some highish speeds without thinking that I need ta tuck in, or feel like I'm being blown off. The Helmet shake at those speeds is go ta remind me that I'm hooning. The Busa, Blackbird and VFR were to low IMHO and had me backing off well before getting close. The blade height was OK on the Bandit1200 (but there were other things that made it not feel right). The ST1100s are a bit high and caused the pillion ta get the "vortex effect". Would look at lowering it on one of those. ST1300s, well adjustable Blade, so what problem. Ya put it where ya want. Change ya mood and ya just push a button.

Have tried the following bikes so far:
1999 Honda Blackbird
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Suzuki Bandit
2007 Honda VFR800
?? BMWK1200 RS (or was it a GT?)
?? Triumph Trouphy
2005 Suzuki V-Strom
1994 Honda ST1100
2005 Honda ST1300

Of those the ST1300 has been the best alround fit.

jrandom
27th March 2008, 14:21
*obligatory GSX1400 plug goes here*

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 14:23
Need someone there ta check this ST1100 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-147453999.htm) out in Welly asap please. Would pay if ya know these bikes. Hitcher or someone like that.
Thanks.

crazybigal
27th March 2008, 14:36
i would have said blackbird with a higher screen but it sounds like you want something more nana like or goldwing'ish.

Blue Babe
27th March 2008, 14:43
i would have said blackbird with a higher screen but it sounds like you want something more nana like or goldwing'ish.

No Not nana or goldwing-ish,:sick: but something with a bit of in betweener, fast but touring type. But also he has to think about his Pillion (ME!!).. I like the ST's they are comfortable on the back. Could probably sit & do some txting while riding:whistle:

vifferman
27th March 2008, 14:46
I don't get it. I've owned both a VFR750 and VFR800, and thought there was little difference between them in terms of bar height/reach and screen height. Certainly your criteria sound Eggs Zachary like I find the VFR800 to be - wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Mebbe the '07 model has worse ergonomics than the '01 model. When I test rode them back-to-back, it didn't include extended open road riding.

crazybigal
27th March 2008, 14:49
what about a yamaha? fjr1300? or a fz1

crazybigal
27th March 2008, 14:51
what did you think ofd the bmw k1200? i like those bmw 4's not so keen on the R sticky out boxer motor and tractor gearbox

NZsarge
27th March 2008, 15:10
Seeing as you considered a V-Strom what about a TDM800, highly underrated motorcycle.
XJR1300.
FJR1300.
CB1300.

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 15:19
what did you think ofd the bmw k1200? i like those bmw 4's not so keen on the R sticky out boxer motor and tractor gearboxWas the 4. The one I tried was nice if it wasn't for the shift "bite" on gear changes. Didn't get that with the ST1100 or ST1300. Hope the newer BWMer shifts are better than that or that not all of them are like that.

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 15:26
Seeing as you considered a V-Strom what about a TDM800, highly underrated motorcycle.
XJR1300.
FJR1300.
CB1300.
The V-Strom was a "what the hell we'll try something different for the hell of it" (hey ya never know, could have liked it), but na. Too "tall" feeling for me. I like the weight down closer ta the ground for me. FJR1300 is not going ta be less than $10,000. The Half-flaired CB1300 and GS1400 might be a go, but I might find those much the same as the Bandit's for me. Not familar with the XJR1300. Will look it up.Aah, naked. Na. Not on the long runs

Edbear
27th March 2008, 15:27
No Not nana or goldwing-ish,:sick: but something with a bit of in betweener, fast but touring type. But also he has to think about his Pillion (ME!!).. I like the ST's they are comfortable on the back. Could probably sit & do some txting while riding:whistle:

Had to chuckle! My wife does that on our Boulevard! She's quite relaxed and comfortable behind me and we reckon it's near perfect for us!

I'd say, from what you two describe, that the ST1300 would suit you well. Still too much like a two-wheeled car for us, especially at the relaxed pace we usually ride. Having said that, it doesn't mean slow, but not the kind of speeds the ST would be happy at. We cruise mainly around the 110, I like to avoid tickets.

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 15:36
Need someone there ta check this ST1100 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-147453999.htm) out in Welly asap please. Would pay if ya know these bikes. Hitcher or someone like that.
Thanks.Really need someone ta check this bike out for me. Seriously.
I'm not Crusier. Crusiers do not give me the position I like on the long haul or the sweeping twisters. Ya can still throw the ST's about and they aren't that slow.

NZsarge
27th March 2008, 15:39
The Half-flaired CB1300 and GS1400 might be a go, but I might find those much the same as the Bandit's for me. Not familar with the XJR1300. Will look it up.

Still don't discount the TDM800 but I hear what you're saying, the problem would be finding one to ride let alone it being 10k or under....hi ho...

Imho between the GSX1400 and the XJR1300 the Yamaha is better finished but there really would'nt be to much between them as motorcycles i'd expect. The Half faired CB1300 would be a nice bike, the fact that they are twin shock rear ends should not put any one off for general motorcycling, apparently they are pretty good, particularly as an allrounder.

yod
27th March 2008, 15:40
Good post mate, helpful info - I am also looking along these lines but it sounds perhaps that I am looking a little more towards the sports end of the sports-tourer spectrum.

Have you considered/ridden a Triumph Sprint ST or RS around the 99-03 range? The others I am considering are the ST2/3/4/S, FZ1 or Aprilia RST Futura - any knowledge of these? Everybody else is welcome to chip in with opinions of course...like I really needed to add that

NZsarge
27th March 2008, 15:49
Have you considered/ridden a Triumph Sprint ST or RS around the 99-03 range? The others I am considering are the ST2/3/4/S, FZ1 or Aprilia RST Futura - any knowledge of these? Everybody else is welcome to chip in with opinions of course...like I really needed to add that

Have you taken the FZ1 in PT's for a skid yet? Nice '07 blue one with very low k's for $15k (bugger it!) or a ride on mine is offer is still there but the set up on the two they have at PT's would be closer to your like I think but then again you could take your time on my bike and not be rushed.
Sorry R'n'B for going off your topic.

yod
27th March 2008, 15:58
Have you taken the FZ1 in PT's for a skid yet? Nice '07 blue one with very low k's for $15k (bugger it!) or a ride on mine is offer is still there but the set up on the two they have at PT's would be closer to your like I think but then again you could take your time on my bike and not be rushed.

$15k is above my limit mate - looking around the same mark as RinB

would the 07 be similar to the 00-03s?

NZsarge
27th March 2008, 16:11
$15k is above my limit mate - looking around the same mark as RinB

would the 07 be similar to the 00-03s?

No, but to be honest considering you do a bit of two up stuff the '00-'05 model would be a better option allround anyway.
ie: More bottom end torque/power.
More pillion comfort too.
Still have plenty of mumbo (140 horses I think from memory)

This would be a consideration for Rider in Black too I reckon.

Unit
27th March 2008, 16:19
You just like the sheepskin seat dont ya, thats why you want this bike hey Doug, mmmmm.... lanolin bum :rolleyes:

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 16:20
No wories mate. Still related ta what I want at know, so there better be no PD'ing of ya post.

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 16:27
You just like the sheepskin seat dont ya, thats why you want this bike hey Doug, mmmmm.... lanolin bum :rolleyes:
Would "shear the sheep". Have been there done that. Tried the "sheep shagging" for the Grand Challenge and I tell ya, it ain't no fun shagging a wet "sheep". Would put one of Mac's Rider seats on it if the seat was that bad on the long haul.

RiderInBlack
29th March 2008, 07:52
*obligatory GSX1400 plug goes here*
Weeeelll ya just might be right. tried one on Friday (see http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/reputation.php?p=1494669). Surprised myself big time. Dam it, loved the ride. Arms and legs in the right place. The bikini fairing did the trick with the blade in the sweet spot. Feel and sound of the bike, what can I say? Sweet. Definitely want one.

NZsarge
29th March 2008, 08:00
Weeeelll ya just might be right. tried one on Friday (see http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/reputation.php?p=1494669). Surprised myself big time. Dam it, loved the ride. Arms and legs in the right place. The bikini fairing did the trick with the blade in the sweet spot. Feel and sound of the bike, what can I say? Sweet. Definitely want one.

not that I have any issues with the GSX1400, but have a look see at a XJR1300 if you liked the GSX so much, there might be another option for you there bearing in mind that they make Givi aftermarket add on screens for them too.

DMNTD
29th March 2008, 08:05

Well then Dougy baby...do we have a winner then?
Come see me at work and I'll see if I can source you one if you'd like.
I'm there from Monday through to Thursday this week mate

jrandom
29th March 2008, 16:38
Well then Dougy baby...do we have a winner then?
Come see me at work and I'll see if I can source you one if you'd like.
I'm there from Monday through to Thursday this week mate

Fookin sweet, just do what the dumptyman says RIB, you'll be happy.

;)

Odd, really, how everyone who tries the GSX1400s is surprised and tends to like them enough to buy one.

I had a mint time pootling around the west Waikato with the Fight Club fullas on mine today.

Can't wait to do some serious touring on it. I may or may not be currently planning an attempt at 'winning' this year's Rusty Nuts GC...

:whistle:

I agree with NZsarge's comment too, though, the XJR1300 would be worth a try. If nothing else you've got the stock Ohlins rear shocks, should be worth an extra 30kph everywhere in bling points!

beyond
29th March 2008, 17:06

Yes!!
Another rider finds out just how great the GSX1400 really is.

Green bling coming your way :)

jrandom
29th March 2008, 17:08
Yes!!
Another rider finds out just how great the GSX1400 really is.

We are building a religion
We are building it bigger...

:2thumbsup

beyond
29th March 2008, 17:10
We are building a religion
We are building it bigger...

:2thumbsup

Yep, the fact is once you adjust those suspenders properly it's just such a bloody good all around bike. :first:

RiderInBlack
29th March 2008, 17:35
not that I have any issues with the GSX1400, but have a look see at a XJR1300 if you liked the GSX so much, there might be another option for you there bearing in mind that they make Givi aftermarket add on screens for them too.
Like the bikini fairing with twin built in lights and blade way too much ta both with a Givi. Has the XJR1300 got that option?

RiderInBlack
5th April 2008, 08:15
OK, yep I'm buying a GSX1400K7 for $12,200. Named her "Zena" already. Just sorting the pingers and will pick her up at the end of this month:2thumbsup The following is from her TM add:

Style: Tourers

Make: Suzuki

Model: GSX1400

Engine size: 1400cc

Kilometres: 5,200

Year: 2007

Suzuki GSX1400, Looks fantastic in black, Bikini fairing, belly fairing, Yoshimura tri-oval pipe, just had annual service, Exellent condition, Registered and warranted.
An incredibily strong bike, just chews up the miles, great for two up riding, reluctant sale due to lack of use and new home sucking me dry, money required to finish off house projects.
Comes with spare standard screen, touring screen (200mm higher) and double bubble (fitted) as well as original muffler.
12 months of warranty remaining

ajturbo
5th April 2008, 08:30
good choice there grass hopper!!!!

hope to see you on it around the country some time eh!

jrandom
5th April 2008, 08:35
OK, yep I'm buying a GSX1400K7 for $12,200. Named her "Zena" already.

:woohoo:

You'll have to bring her down for a ride at your earliest possible convenience.

RiderInBlack
5th April 2008, 08:38
:woohoo:

You'll have to bring her down for a ride at your earliest possible convenience.
Might be "up". "Zena" is down Palmy and will ride be riding "her" back up with BlueBabe when I pick "her" up.

NZsarge
5th April 2008, 08:40
Might be "up". "Zena" is down Palmy and will ride be riding "her" back up with BlueBabe when I pick "her" up.

Well done mate, nice bike. :niceone:

Warr
5th April 2008, 08:51
Looking good there Doug even if you have passed over to the dark side!! Call in if you are passing through Hams too :)

RiderInBlack
5th April 2008, 09:54
Looking good there Doug even if you have passed over to the dark side!! Call in if you are passing through Hams too :)Might need a bed there on the way back if that's OK Warr. We plan ta take an over night bus down ta Palmy Then ride back 1/2 way. Stop over night somewhere, then do rest of trip the next day. Would do it in one on a bike I was familiar with on my own, but two-up on a new bike I'd want ta make an easier trip of it. Besides we would get ta have a small "Holiday" of it:2thumbsup

vifferman
5th April 2008, 09:59
Lovely looking bike there Doug - congratulations and well done! :niceone: