PDA

View Full Version : [Yet Another] My First Bin

Soul.Trader
27th March 2008, 16:27
Had my first crash today, after having been riding for only six or so weeks :(

I was approaching a corner at a very ordinary pace, when I ran over what appears to be oil or deisel. Unfortunately, at the angle I came into the corner, it was almost unavoidable. The tail immediately slid out, and I was sideways for at least 15 meters. Being inexperienced at handling these situations, I tried hard to correct it, which resulted in it going the other way, and me being flicked clear of the bike. The damage isn't too great, but very sad for a bike that was in almost pristine condition :crybaby:

Is it worth making an insurance claim on this type of cosmetic damage? The tank is a bit dented, and lots of bits are scraped - dash stuff, headlight surround, etc. Broken clutch level. My excess is $500.

Lessons learnt:
- Deisel/oil sucks, avoid at all costs
- ATGATT, or dont bother. I have a very sore, scraped knee due to wearing everything....except my riding pants :( Curse you work pants :(
- I need to do a handling course. Ironically, I'm already organised to go to BRONZ in Auckland this weekend with dad - we had a whole trip planned, which might need to be put off :crybaby:

Soul.Trader
27th March 2008, 16:32
I might also add that 4 extremely nice people came to my aid, and helped me get my bike home (about 3 blocks away). One of them, a local resident, organised me some ice for my very swollen finger. There's definately still plenty of good people around.

Lastly, a quick question - when I picked the bike up, about a cup of petrol poured onto the road, then it stopped. Where did this petrol come from? Is the tank cracked, or did it some from somewhere else in the system? Thanks.

fizbin
27th March 2008, 16:45
bummer dude hope the damage is all cosmetic!

Mom
27th March 2008, 16:51
Ouch mate! That diesel is clearly visible on the road to my eyes, so perhaps a bit of work on scanning ahead for hazards could be beneficial for you.

Good call with the RRRS course too, hope that poor bike is not too expensive to fix!

RantyDave
27th March 2008, 17:30
Oh noes! Shit!

(Also, I had an SR250 for my first bike)

Dunno about the insurance, my gut feeling is it's not worth it - particularly if you have five years no-claims. I think there's an expectation that first bikes get dinged a bit and the devaluation is less so for a 250 than for (say) a Harley or something. I'd fix it up to the point where it's usable again (and won't rust) and just chalk one up to experience.

ATGATT - shit yes. I have some cordura I wear over my work gear - just get in and dump it off. On nice days I bike in wearing kevlar jeans too.

Bummer about the off - good job it was a little'y.

Dave

Ixion
27th March 2008, 17:30
Or sniffing ahead. I usually smell diesel before I see it. Very underrated survival tool, the nose.

BIGBOSSMAN
27th March 2008, 17:33
Or sniffing ahead. I usually smell diesel before I see it. Very underrated survival tool, the nose.

Is this you, Ixion?

FJRider
27th March 2008, 17:38
I might also add that 4 extremely nice people came to my aid, and helped me get my bike home (about 3 blocks away). One of them, a local resident, organised me some ice for my very swollen finger. There's definately still plenty of good people around.

Lastly, a quick question - when I picked the bike up, about a cup of petrol poured onto the road, then it stopped. Where did this petrol come from? Is the tank cracked, or did it some from somewhere else in the system? Thanks.

Overflow from the carb and/or tank. If tank was split it would STILL be leaking

RantyDave
27th March 2008, 17:40
I usually smell diesel before I see it.
You can, can't you. I thought I'd gone completely mad smelling diesel over the takas one day ... but went kinda gently anyway.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Dave

BadCompany
27th March 2008, 17:41

Your tank has an overflow which just leads down a small tube to the bottom of your bike, maybe around the stand area. When your bike was on its side I'm guessing some fuel made it to the overflow and is what you saw come out. Nothing to be alarmed about.

By the way, did you ring up the council and let them no about the diesel so they can organise it to be cleaned up so no other poor sod on a shiny bike wipes out on it?

EDIT. Whoops, missed FJRiders post. O well.

mynameis
27th March 2008, 17:42
Hope you aren't too damaged or dampened from the off. Let this be a learning curve for you mate. Be more cautious and careful when you're out next. You now know the importance of FULL proper gear aye.

Good luck with the recovery and fixing the bike. I am with Ranty Dave and his take about fixing mate. But your call, might also be a good idea to get an estimate to fix it up and weigh up your options.

Soul.Trader
27th March 2008, 19:01
By the way, did you ring up the council and let them no about the diesel so they can organise it to be cleaned up so no other poor sod on a shiny bike wipes out on it?

The bloke who helped me up called *555 to report it, they said they'd already had a call about it, and someone from council will be around shortly. Still hasn't been cleaned up, and I can't say I'm surprised.

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

BadCompany
27th March 2008, 19:03
Useless pricks!

jimbo
27th March 2008, 20:28
Hey mate.Sorry to here about the skid.Glad you aint to badly hurt.Darn about the bike.Heal well

Tank
27th March 2008, 20:48
Sorry to hear about the bin.

Glad that you are all OK and that the bike is only dinted a little.

TOTO
27th March 2008, 20:53
You are lucky it didnt grind your whole knee cap off and it would have been the case with me if i didnt wear my protection gear. Learn lesson about gear. Bike will get fixed. There is no spare parts for you.

sad to read about your bin. I know how gutted I was when mine happened.

Get better and back on the road ASAP.