PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a hold of your HD...

ching_ching
8th December 2004, 15:23
Hello HD owners,

I've been told that Harleys are a very sought after model by those who prefer not to pay for them.

Present / former owners can you please tell me your various opinions / secrets at keeping the thieving dogs at bay apart from the usual "get a big, viscious dog" method?

Thanks in advance.

ching ching

scumdog
8th December 2004, 15:39
Not living in the crime capital of NZ would be a good start!! :killingme

I keep mine in the gargre and if I'm going to be away for a few days I might lock it up, - play 'em as you see 'em, maybe where you live it may take more than that to keep your scoot safe.

If I lived near a prison or similar I would have the gargre alarmed and the bike shackled to the ground plus put it in the most awkward place in the gargre of course it goes without saying that you wouldn't leave it out at the front of the house or on front of the gargre window for all to see!! :shit:

P.S., I wonder if gang members get given shit for riding a Hogley?? :confused2

Omega1
13th December 2004, 14:31
I keep mine at the back of my garage,its chained up with my car parked infront of it.The Garage is Alarmed and the neighbours are always home.If they want it they'll have to drag it over the car to get it out.Ultimately you never know but thats why we also have bloody expensive insurance.

I am paranoid about where I park it and as Scumdog said I dont leave it in the driveway for "windowshoppers" to see,

Bonez
13th December 2004, 17:02
I keep mine at the back of my garage,its chained up with my car parked infront of it.The Garage is Alarmed and the neighbours are always home.If they want it they'll have to drag it over the car to get it out.Ultimately you never know but thats why we also have bloody expensive insurance.

I am paranoid about where I park it and as Scumdog said I dont leave it in the driveway for "windowshoppers" to see,
Get rid of the f'n thing. Better of investing the money and keeping the other bike
servicable with the interest you earn. Btw I know a guy who had his brand new VFR800 secured like your HD. Guess what?-IT GOT FLOGGED. Lifes far to short to worry over a HD :Oi:

James Deuce
13th December 2004, 17:09
YOU STILL HAVEN'T FUNGING TOLD US WHAT IT IS YOU LITTLE CENTRAL PLATEAU PARASITE!!!

TOo busy polishing your helmet?? Oops sorry folks - this is a family show!

curious george
13th December 2004, 17:14
I'm pissed at this thread because I thought HD was short for something to do with somebodys computer hard drive....

ching_ching
13th December 2004, 20:42
YOU STILL HAVEN'T FUNGING TOLD US WHAT IT IS YOU LITTLE CENTRAL PLATEAU PARASITE!!!

TOo busy polishing your helmet?? Oops sorry folks - this is a family show!

Hahaha, you funny barrssstuuddd!! Heeheehee. :bleh:

Check the pic. BTW thanks for the opinions / suggestions folks.

I'll give my initial review of the thing in the KB Review forum real soon.

ching

Yamahamaman
13th December 2004, 20:49

ching
Cool. Blublocker blade...

James Deuce
13th December 2004, 21:18

ching

YOU BASTARD

Two Smoker
13th December 2004, 21:56
Finally i can say it, mmmmm firebolt........

Very nice Ching, MR told me what you were riding when i saw you in riding gear.... sorry i didnt get time to come and say gidday....

ching_ching
14th December 2004, 09:33
YOU BASTARD

Hahaha... I love it when I get shit thrown at me. Better than the real tangible stuff that gets thrown at us from crims at work. Gives the phrase "We don't have to put up with that shit!!" a whole new meaning.\

BTW Jim2 sorry 'bout poor bike. Maybe time to go naked? :bye: :eek:

ching

Blakamin
14th December 2004, 09:59
YOU BASTARD
was waiting for that... no bigger fonts Jim???? coulda at least made it bold!!! :blah:

Omega1
14th December 2004, 10:04
Get rid of the f'n thing. Better of investing the money and keeping the other bike
servicable with the interest you earn. Btw I know a guy who had his brand new VFR800 secured like your HD. Guess what?-IT GOT FLOGGED. Lifes far to short to worry over a HD :Oi:

Nah...I think I'll keep it,thanks for the financial advice though :whocares:

AMPS
14th December 2004, 14:13
Nah...I think I'll keep it,thanks for the financial advice though :whocares:

Get a good chain, a ground anchor, a rabid rotty, and stay awake guarding it with a .50 BFR.
Lou

Riff Raff
14th December 2004, 15:26
Get a good chain, a ground anchor, a rabid rotty, and stay awake guarding it with a .50 BFR.
Lou
Wow, do you sell all those at AMPS???

Al
14th December 2004, 15:37
Went to work last night with the cage, bike is parked in carport, down a farking steep driveway and very difficult to get out...... But, guess what?
Some fuckwit tried! Missus woke at 01:15 with security lights going on and the sound of the main-stand flicking up. By the time she got downstairs and out, bike was moved slightly and placed on sidestand.
Poor fuckwit/s must have realised that to steal is child's play - to remove takes more than most are capable of.
Needless to say, chain and high grade security lock are now in place, chain through wheels and frame and around carport post.
:mad:
Take care
Al

scumdog
14th December 2004, 15:47

The above isn't ALWAYS fool-proof, mate of mine in L.A. had his '81 Sturgis stolen from on front of a car that was driven into the gargre behind it, they had to LIFT it over the said car to get it out of the gargre!! :eek:

Storm
14th December 2004, 17:43
Yeah its funny how folks get stuck into these sort of fullas and call them dumb lazy mongrels, but when thievin time comes around, they're a right cunning bunch of monkeys who will spare no effort to nick your stuff

ching_ching
14th December 2004, 17:53
Thanks for everybody's contributions, suggestions, stories.

I know as well as everybody else does that you will never, ever foolproof your baby. Just provide as many layers of protection as your budget allows, try not to stress and enjoy your ride while you have it. Obtain piece of mind and you will never develop an ulcer.

ching

gav
27th December 2004, 19:04
Is that a genuine Buell block of wood holding that thing up?

ching_ching
27th December 2004, 22:04
Is that a genuine Buell block of wood holding that thing up?

Yeah, optional extra. Comes with Buell logo... you can even get signed ones from the man himself :doh: :lol:

scumdog
28th December 2004, 11:08
Yeah its funny how folks get stuck into these sort of fullas and call them dumb lazy mongrels, but when thievin time comes around, they're a right cunning bunch of monkeys who will spare no effort to nick your stuff

Nah, just got more muscles than brains poor bastards :blah:

Bruiser
24th October 2005, 17:33
Hello HD owners,

I've been told that Harleys are a very sought after model by those who prefer not to pay for them.

Present / former owners can you please tell me your various opinions / secrets at keeping the thieving dogs at bay apart from the usual "get a big, viscious dog" method?

Thanks in advance.

ching ching

I live in Auckland and my 98 Dyna Wideglide custom is parked in a garage attached to the house. Construction of house/garage is brick and tile, garage has roller door with remote.

i) The garage and house are separately alarmed and monitored.
ii) The Harley steering and ignition are locked.
iii) The Harley is also alarmed.
iv) I have a wireless cam pointed at the bike. Garage light on 24/7
v) Running wireless receiver on pc in house, plus surveillance software.
vi) Home pc has ADSL net connection and software is set up for remote login.
vii) I can log into home pc from my office (or anywhere with net connection for that matter) and keep an eye on my baby.
viii) If the remote software detects movement from inside the camera zone the home pc automatically begins recording the dirty theiving bastards. Software also sends me an email upon intrusion detection.
ix) Finally, my neighbour, who is home 24/7, calls me instantly when something is up.

No, I am not paranoid, but "they" don't know that !

Cheers,
Bruiser

Bonez
24th October 2005, 18:31
Nah, just got more muscles than brains poor bastards :blah:Thing is too they really don't give a fuck that they're messing with someone else's property. Had the misfortune of doing some work with some of these tards. One's now in custody for a assulting me after telling him a few home truths.

RDJ
24th October 2005, 22:44
1. Locked to a ground anchor, cemented into the garage floor.

2. Never parked outside for any length of time (washed "around the back")

3. Placed in alarmed outside storage when out of the country.

and what I think works the best - if parked at work or for any length of time when out and about, kept under a heat-proof ratty non-branded dirty bike cover

Good luck!

scumdog
25th October 2005, 03:39
Using up the last few minutes of my i-net time, anyway there's beena soft-tail wide-glide twin-cam praked outside the entrance to the motel I'm staying at, it's been there at least 3 days and 2 nights with the helmet on the sissy-bar, can't see any lock/chain whatever so I guess the Canadians around here are more honest??

Did see a D-lock around a pole down the street in the scuzzy part of town, the push-bike wheel rim was still attached - but EVERY spoke had been cut so the bike could be taken!!! WTF?

Lou Girardin
25th October 2005, 07:23
Using up the last few minutes of my i-net time, anyway there's beena soft-tail wide-glide twin-cam praked outside the entrance to the motel I'm staying at, it's been there at least 3 days and 2 nights with the helmet on the sissy-bar, can't see any lock/chain whatever so I guess the Canadians around here are more honest??

Did see a D-lock around a pole down the street in the scuzzy part of town, the push-bike wheel rim was still attached - but EVERY spoke had been cut so the bike could be taken!!! WTF?

That Softail Wideglide must be a new US model, wonder when we'll get them?
Shame on you Scummy, you'll get your Harley citizenship removed for that.

marty
25th October 2005, 07:35
i went to a theft once where the guy had a 5' high steel plate that lifted up hydraulically like a wall in front of his bike. it was REALLY cool. they simply bolt cut the ram though, and lowered the wall by hand. was the very best idea i have seen by far - parking behind a car makes squat - how long do you think it takes to get a car out of the way? i have seen bikes housed in 'sheds' within a garage - pretty simple to make, and 3 sheets of 25mm ply bonded together make pretty strong walls.

and living in the country doesn't save ya (as SD knows) - my uncle had his flat bottom race boat stolen from his hayshed 1km off the road. we found it 4 hours later with the $100k supercharged engine gone. it turned up 6 months later in a black pos 1960 fairlane. for some reason the couldn't get it to idle, so they took it to a garage for a tune up. idiots.

scumdog
26th October 2005, 05:50
That Softail Wideglide must be a new US model, wonder when we'll get them?
Shame on you Scummy, you'll get your Harley citizenship removed for that.

Oops sorry Lou, should have realised that one wouldn't get past the Harley I.D. Police!!
Kind of a 'slip of the key'!!

The town I'm in at present doesn't seem to have any big bikes but the one or two little ones don't seem to be 'anchored' in any way.

Timber020
29th October 2005, 17:39
Ever seen greenpeace protesters use 44 gallon drums with arm access holes to handcuff themselves to? Same idea. But with the drum filled with concrete (or just mostly with sand and a concrete cap so you can move it when you have to) Use your big ass chain or whatever with eyes on both ends
through the frame and wheels then have them locked together inside the drum on one side useing a breaking bar that slides though the drum and locks in place with a modified padlock goes through a hole in the break bar. Hard to explain but basically by having a tunnel to access the actual lock means you cant get cutters, hacksaw or torch to it.

Lou Girardin
31st October 2005, 07:18
You could get yourself a speed addiction, a pump action 12 gauge and stay up all night watching it.

thehollowmen
1st November 2005, 13:12
They're so sought after by illegal means that ... well.. apparently the AA won't insure HDs.

That's scary.. they get nicked that often it ain't worth it to insure them.

Silage
1st November 2005, 21:14
I can log into home pc from my office (or anywhere with net connection for that matter) and keep an eye on my baby.

Hey Bruiser, why don't you put the address here and we can all watch it for you. :whistle:

That is quite an impressive security set up.

crazyxr250rider
2nd November 2005, 16:54
disc lock?

Lou Girardin
3rd November 2005, 07:04
They're so sought after by illegal means that ... well.. apparently the AA won't insure HDs.

That's scary.. they get nicked that often it ain't worth it to insure them.

It's not THAT bad these days. They're more at risk than most bikes, but if you're sensible it'll be safe.
Who'd even go to Arseholes Anonymous for insurance anyway?
They've shown they're anti-bike and any biker still doing business with them is a traitor to the brother/sisterhood.