PDA

View Full Version : Should we have a scooter forum

SpankMe
18th August 2003, 09:22
Fly the flag, hang a mod! is what I say.

Don't like the idea, but it is up to the members to decide.

Antallica
18th August 2003, 10:57
They are not worthy ;)

Dave
18th August 2003, 11:43
KiwiBiker- not KiwiGit or Kiwitoys, Get it!

Besides don't they have they're own little place in ponsonby somewhere for latte's and tall stories?

wari
18th August 2003, 12:14
Well , at least it'll keep them away from the other forums.

Who knows, they may get converted to a real bike eh.

PLuuuus ... extra numbers gives weight behind biker arguments in the political arena. As far as car drivers are concerned we're all lumped into one.

Any motorised 2 wheel involvement is to be encouraged I say.

:argh: ... :whocares: ... :beer:

Duke of Rogan
18th August 2003, 12:43
Originally posted by wari

agree.
best they have their own image gallery too (for the same reasons)

:eek:

Big Dog
18th August 2003, 14:04
As bikers we often complain about being marganalised, so why marganalise someone else?

Me, I look silly on anyhting less than 600cc but, to each their own.
This is supposed to be a forum for free expression isn't it, not a pissing contest. Anything to boost numbers and increase the free flow of information I say. As others have already said it will stop us needing to download pictures of scooters they have attached to other threads if they have their own forum for that.

Ciao, Big Dog

Big Dog
18th August 2003, 14:05
Plus more people for when you need to fundraise!

Coldkiwi
19th August 2003, 12:51
why not encourage people to get on to real bikes? Sure, some moped/scooter riders are just interested in a faster way to work than a bicycle but there will be some out there that are genuinely interested in their machines. And besides.. there are some VERY tasty "scooters" out there that can probably beat the pants off some of the 250's that members on this site own! (Gilera, Italjet etc etc). 

Feck, Aprilia even has a racing series for some of its high spec machines in Italy! Some of them can't be so bad eh?

Motoracer
19th August 2003, 17:43
I love bikes of course, and I own a few of them. But my recent purchase, the Suzuki 50cc scooter made me realise that if its just transport your after with a hint of 2 wheeled fun, scooters are THE most practical machines on earth. Get this:

1) No WOF needed.
2) Rego is $80 for 1 year.
3) It takes $4 dollars to fill her up
4) If your no good at wheelies and flip it, who cares, put your feet down and run with the bastard.
5) If you thought motorbikes are easy around town, try scooters on for size. You can literaly lift them from one place to another. Wether it be for parking purposes or moving around cars in heavy traffic.
6) Storrage space can take (and these are only the things I have tried putting in them) my riding boots, my helmet, Fule tank for the ZXR 400, battery for the van and the list goes on (one item at a time of course).
7) if you are a compulsive speeder, why not get some thing that only goes 55Kmph!! After loosing my licence last year, this is the best thing that could happen to me.
8) tires can't be worn out fast no matter how hard you go in to the corners cause the bloody things only weigh 75kgs

I could type a few more points but I think expressed how I feel about scooters. I don't think the scooter forums would be entirely popular but its worth a go. Like others have mentioned before, in a world of cage drivers, two wheelers have to join forces to fight back. We shouldn't be think differently of scooter riders like how cage drivers might think differently of bike riders. Well thats my thought anyway.

I am Motoracer and I am a Scooter/Motorcycle rider

SpankMe
20th August 2003, 12:15
Need more votes. Will make it final when it gets 50.

Motu
20th August 2003, 12:30
I can't vote,maybe I'm a don't care - but I do.Bikes are bikes,one,two,three or four wheels,I'll ride them all,dosen't worry me what the fuck they are - people who look down their noses at other peoples rides are scum.I ride dirt bikes on the road and road bikes in the dirt,I've had scooters and had fun on them - don't split your forums up into little bits that no one posts in.

bikerboy
20th August 2003, 15:44
Like the offroad/trail section?:(

Duke of Rogan
20th August 2003, 16:12
or they could use the girly one, noone else does :p

Lee Rusty
20th August 2003, 16:58
Hey Scooters can do the miles - We have been scooters on the the Rusty Nuts M/c 1000mile/24hour run, and finished inside of the time. And ridden by a lady.
THere have been several finish the 6500km 7 day Southern Cross Road Rally and the Gypsy Tours also put on by the Rusty's

It aint about the type of bike/scooter/trike/outfit, it's about the riders.

Personally I have 5 bikes and am restoring 3 old 50's and 60's scooters for fun. Im looking forward to riding them when finished.

Urban Terrorist
20th August 2003, 23:28
I doubt there would be enough traffic for a new forum, but I agree with Lee Rusty and Motoracer. Scooters can be a lot of fun and very effective tools for running around in town.
I know a few ppl around town who ride "real bikes" as well as their scooters, and the most common thing i hear is "Why didn't i get one years ago ?"
The only thing that is more fun than wearing full leathers on a scooter is riding it so hard you need them.

Goddess of Goof
8th October 2003, 15:59
Originally posted by Lee Rusty
Hey Scooters can do the miles - We have been scooters on the the Rusty Nuts M/c 1000mile/24hour run, and finished inside of the time. And ridden by a lady.
THere have been several finish the 6500km 7 day Southern Cross Road Rally and the Gypsy Tours also put on by the Rusty's
It aint about the type of bike/scooter/trike/outfit, it's about the riders.

:niceone:

I agree with Lee. They can have their own forum for their own purposes. Up to them to use it. Many of our issues as motorcyclists are also theirs.

KiwiBiker site is big enough for all isn't it?

riffer
8th October 2003, 19:50
Well, for mine, the first motorised two-wheeler I ever rode was my dad's '65 Vespa. It was fun for a ten year old, so maybe I never would have got keen on bikes if I didn't try it out. But I haven't ridden one for years, and I don't really mind them, so I guess I'm a don't care...:whocares:

750Y
1st December 2003, 20:26
I'm not sure that a dedicated forum is necessary but it couldn't hurt i guess. I like the idea of all sorts on all sorts of machinery having a laugh & a chat about stuff. It seems to be mostly sportsbike riders at the moment which is a shame. it'd be great to hear from 'other sides' so to speak.

mountain eagle
2nd December 2003, 11:24
Two wheels and a motor is two wheels and a motor. To limit yourselves to anything with in that is foolish. I will ride anything and have fun doing it, otherwise you might as well just be another brand name enthusiast. Without the feedback and support from and by all those who live a two wheeled lifestyle, we are weaker as a group.

mountain eagle
utmc

avgas
10th January 2005, 20:47
im a hardernd rocker, and i say let those mods have therye say.
Now all we need is a good cafe' with knives and forks bolted to the table - so we can have a scuff :Punk:

avgas
10th January 2005, 20:54
I ride dirt bikes on the road and road bikes in the dirt
We a very like minded individuals i think after hearing this.
but my new bike has a horrible tendancy to loose traction on the gravel/grass - should i fit knobblys?

Motu
10th January 2005, 21:29
Yeah,knobs are fun on the road - street tyres are not fun off road.

inlinefour
13th January 2005, 08:56

At least that was my understanding on the matter. There are plenty of NZ riders who start on a scooter (yea but I was eight) and are likely to continue to something bigger. :rockon:

guzzi_nz
15th January 2005, 10:22
I say yes one day they mine buy a real bike :moon:

NC
30th January 2005, 10:58
Vespa's are cool...

But overall, fuck I hate scooters

Biff
31st January 2005, 16:24
Can we have a hairdryer section as well please. At least they're more powerful.
Grrrrr. I'm such a man cos I ride a big fat juicy one.

Give them a room ya tight sod. Providing that is that we get the bandwidth/capacity issue sorted first. It'd really drive me muckin fental if I have to wait any longer to load some pages (which appears to be getting worse and worse by the way) while some young spotty hooligans (as opposed to middle aged, wrinkled, numbskulls, well me at least) hog this sites pipes.

Mongoose
31st January 2005, 16:57
I really should learn to speed read better, thought it was a request for a "Scroter Forum" :gob: :Oops:

Midnight 82
31st January 2005, 17:15
:sick: :confused2 They will turn into real bikers one day?????
But I dont wave to scoo :finger: :scooter: :puke: ters

Waylander
31st January 2005, 17:32
I say let them join. give us someone else to heckle beside each other. Plus its fun to roll up next to them at a traffic light and have them reving thier engine like mad just to try to hear it over mine at idle:kick:and then tease them about it on here.

RiderInBlack
4th August 2005, 08:14
Jeez, I thought they were already excepted on this site:whocares:

SARGE
4th August 2005, 09:33

as long as ya dont open up to those Fuck-tards on the Mini-Choppers :kick:

Mrs Old Farts
10th October 2005, 16:29

Who knows, they may get converted to a real bike eh.

PLuuuus ... extra numbers gives weight behind biker arguments in the political arena. As far as car drivers are concerned we're all lumped into one.

Any motorised 2 wheel involvement is to be encouraged I say.

:argh: ... :whocares: ... :beer:

Yep you are right, i have just done the Basic handling course and there was a Vespa/scooter rider on that and by the time we had finished he was as keen as to go buy a GN instead of a better scooter. :scooter: so you see it could give them the nudge to go for a real bike

Skyryder
10th October 2005, 16:47
Jeez, I thought they were already excepted on this site:whocares:

So did I. Hell I'd ride with a pushbike if they could keep up. On the road two wheels are two wheels, but here's the rub.

Are those that ride scooters bikers? Not by my definition they are not. So on that score I voted no.

Skyryder