PDA

View Full Version : This is me.....

R00T
8th December 2004, 22:31
Hi There, moved to NZ in 1997 from England.
Yes I miss the road surface, Prawn Cocktail flavoured Walkers Crisps (chippies to you), and accessories.... Don't matter how hard I try, look, drool over brochure/catalogue, nothing ever seems to be available full stop, or in the right size/colour/anything.

Other than that, NZ Rocks and I aint going back there to live.

1998 saw me break my back in two places and about 11 other bones on the Rimutaka's (my own fault, not reading the vanishing point and completely failing to notice the second apex....) Since then I have got into bikes even more (go figure) and I started riding off-road late 2000.

I find off-road more fun than road simply because there aint no ignorant fucktard dibble throwing tickets at me for pulling wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, and any other fun behaviour that they hate and have laws against.

Have done some track work and a little bit of not-too-serious racing on a CBR600F2 and F4, a bit of Formula 3 on an RG250, Bucket Racing and Supermotard (again nothing too serious, its all about fun for me) and I do a few North Island and Cantral Enduro's and Hare Scrambles (Cross Country) every season.

I swap my bikes around a fair bit every year to keep things nice and interesting and so I can keep learning stuff about them, and I mod them heaps too, mainly for looks and some mild tuning end-cans/airfilter/air ducting/dyno etc, the rest is all about tyres suspension and gearing.

Gone off big road bikes, they are heavy, expensive, don't corner, and have eaten my license 3 times already....

Sometimes I ride like the perfect most advanced riding instructor in the world (usually when I have pillion), other times I ride like an enraged lunatic who's sole purpose it to seek out cab drivers that dont give way or abide by the road rules and I take out their mirrors (usually every morning)

18 years in the saddle now and currently riding: 1994-RVF400, 1988-CBR250, 2002-FXR150 (lol), 1986 AX-100 1997-YZ250

SuperDave
8th December 2004, 23:19
Welcome, that was a good introduction :yes:

Holy Roller
9th December 2004, 01:13
Great intro
I know what you mean about the gear. When I was in London the gear avaliable was mind blowing. Tough not cheap when the exchange rate was taken into account but good if one earned pounds instead of dollars.

avgas
9th December 2004, 05:54
great to see you here mate, yeh the missus is from Shanghai. Those fairings are all custom built for the fxrs - but ive been told they arent cheap. This site is really helpful for guys like us. Cant wait to hear more news about your fxr as the project goes along :niceone:

wari
9th December 2004, 06:34
G'dday mate ... :moon: ... wellcome ... :spudwave:

Joni
9th December 2004, 06:37
Hello & Welcome :spudwave:
:)

Riff Raff
9th December 2004, 06:46
:) Welcome aboard.

Ms Piggy
9th December 2004, 06:53
Welcome along - lots of good Wellington people here. :spudwave:

That's an "interesting" avatar.

Blakamin
9th December 2004, 07:02
Hi & welcome.... got some photos of the bikes we can see??? that way I'll recognize ya when I'm working on farqin weekends and travelling around

bungbung
9th December 2004, 07:47
Hiya,

Walkers Crisps are available from 'Cool Brittania' on the corner of Wakefield and Taranaki streets. (At a premium price)

Welcome

Hitcher
9th December 2004, 07:52
Welcome to our gargre! We may see you on the road sometime.

rodgerd
9th December 2004, 09:02
Yes I miss the road surface, Prawn Cocktail flavoured Walkers Crisps (chippies to you),
There's an shop in the Hutt that sells imported British stuff - weird crisps and Irn Bru and all the rest of it.

Biff
9th December 2004, 13:24
Hi Root from a fellow Pom - albeit a Welsh one. I know what you mean about missing stuff. Skips crisps....mmmmmmmm. Crap customer service, overpriced everything, the weather and the traffic jams.

In all honesty, do you know what I miss about the UK, absolutely bugger all. Thank you NZ for being such a top place and for you Kiwi's for not being able to say your vowels properly , oh yeah, and for being top drawer people.

duckman
9th December 2004, 13:43
Hi Root from a fellow Pom - albeit a Welsh one. I know what you mean about missing stuff. Skips crisps....mmmmmmmm. Crap customer service, overpriced everything, the weather and the traffic jams.

In all honesty, do you know what I miss about the UK, absolutely bugger all. Thank you NZ for being such a top place and for you Kiwi's for not being able to say your vowels properly , oh yeah, and for being top drawer people.

Who's boots them shoes ?? ...... :yeah:

MrMelon
9th December 2004, 15:24
Hi,

Gotta love that office space avatar :D

crashe
9th December 2004, 15:26
welcome to this site. :scooter: :ride: :yeah:

R00T
9th December 2004, 16:02
That's an "interesting" avatar.
Yeah its taken from the perspecitve of the taxi driver as he is lying on the ground after I pulled him out of the car.... rofl

R00T
9th December 2004, 16:04
Walkers Crisps are available from 'Cool Brittania' on the corner of Wakefield and Taranaki streets.
Where I come from you get termed as a 'Diamond Geezer' for this quality bit of info mate.

R00T
9th December 2004, 16:28
what I miss about the UK, absolutely bugger all. Thank you NZ for being such a top place
Mate, NZ is the best aye... some folk think we have strict road rules in NZ, Speeding clamp down etc.. I got nabbed on River Road by officer Brian Healey (I am sure some of you know him as Captain Cock) doing 246kmh, he went bozo and was spitting all over me, simply wouldn't calm down, took my license away for 28 days (promptly changed over all my vehicles to a mates name and drove on the UK license, sweet) when it got to court I pulled out all the Advanced Riding certificates from the UK and NZ, gave my spiel about not endangering any other road user as the roads were empty blah blah got 50 demerit points and $380 fine....
In the UK I would have a 4 inch anus by now, that is guaranteed jail time, 6 months, criminal record.

Another fine example of UK vs NZ, Year 2000 I was back in London and had an Audi A6, filled it up with gas, 70 litres I think, it cost 75 pounds....... picked myself up off the floor and worked it out in NZ$, exchange at the time was 3.36 -- $252.00 to fill the car up with gas, tank the same size as a most medium/large family saloon. OMG

NZ is the best place ever, the freedom is over and above any place I have been, and I have lived in America, Europe, and Asia.
I would gladly give my life to protect this country and its people, it is so worth fighting for.

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, I shall post some pics of my bikes hopefully this evening, tell me how many you want, coz I got road/off-road allsorts, though I dont have many from the UK, that was pre-digital camera days and I hated film.

curious george
9th December 2004, 16:44
Ahhhh, Root, of OCNZ fame? You know Des Flurane I think.....
Welcome to the site, any chance you'll get that RVF on the track at some stage?

wari
9th December 2004, 17:05

NZ is the best place ever, the freedom is over and above any place I have been, and I have lived in America, Europe, and Asia.
I would gladly give my life to protect this country and its people, it is so worth fighting for.

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, I shall post some pics of my bikes hopefully this evening, tell me how many you want, coz I got road/off-road allsorts, though I dont have many from the UK, that was pre-digital camera days and I hated film.

AYe think I gott gooose bummps ... :sunny:

R00T
9th December 2004, 17:38
Ahhhh, Root, of OCNZ fame? You know Des Flurane I think.....
Welcome to the site, any chance you'll get that RVF on the track at some stage?
Yes mate, thats me, i'm part of clan 'Incendium Drunkae', I moderate their forums and do some server admin for Orcon and Xtra.

I think the RVF will defo be on the track, not too serious though, most if not all my bikes get on the track, I strip them back to bare minimum and prep them as best as possible to give maximum enjoyment and minimise the damage if I was to 'stick-it-in-da-litter' so to speak.
Then at the end of the weekend I put it back to road kit and continue as if nothing happened (apart from the munted tires).

Des got his license now aye, he was ranting on about getting a road motard, great idea though I feel they encourage bad behaviour... I have done some late night street motarding on the Husaberg, no plates etc.. and its very naughty, lots of motorway footbridges, jumping out of carparks and other Police attracting shenanigans, then doing a runner by dropping down the grass bank onto the motorway and going in the wrong direction everywhere... its very bad and shouldn't be encouraged.

Storm
9th December 2004, 17:48
Welcome to the nuthouse. Sounds like you'll fit in no worries mate. Glad to hear you like our "fush un chups" accents :first:

El Dopa
9th December 2004, 18:59

Second that. Except....It would be perfect if I could find a place that sold a decent pork pie.

mangell6
9th December 2004, 19:27
Welcome to the bored. Isn't it good that the head network nazi is a biker. :Pokey:

Have fun ROOT and remember to put on your knee sliders as you put them down. :D

Mike

R00T
9th December 2004, 21:36
Here are some of my pics

StoneChucker
9th December 2004, 21:49
Welcome aboard the board mate :) BungBung beat me to the Cool Britannia info, so I got nothing, apart from Hi ! Look forward to seeing ya out riding.

Dave.

gav
9th December 2004, 22:24
:Oi: Mate, keep riding like a dickhead on the road and spoil it for everyone else,huh? keep it for the track or fuck off back to the UK :finger:
yore not too smart either, think Mr Plod might be paying you a visit now they have your rego plate details :yeah:

R00T
9th December 2004, 22:47
Hi gav, nice to meet you.

Love to see the plod pull a number plate off a motocross bike... not all as clever as you are we now.. :pinch:

Biff
10th December 2004, 10:35
Who's boots them shoes ?? ...... :yeah:

whose jackets that coat ?

Biff
10th December 2004, 10:37
:Oi: Mate, keep riding like a dickhead on the road and spoil it for everyone else,huh? keep it for the track or fuck off back to the UK :finger:
yore not too smart either, think Mr Plod might be paying you a visit now they have your rego plate details :yeah:

ooooo - get you - talking about smart people fuckwit - ive never seen a motorbike with the rego on the front - :finger: right back atcha

bungbung
10th December 2004, 10:39
Rego plate in the posted photos

Biff
10th December 2004, 10:47
Rego plate in the posted photos

whose photos? - dont know who he was talking to - needs to take a chill pill though

aff-man
10th December 2004, 10:53
Welcom mate, some nice bikes you have there :Punk: :Punk: :Punk:

scumdog
10th December 2004, 11:48
whose jackets that coat ?
Ah, another sorry-arse that doesn't have what it takes to join the H.P.? ;)

Cajun
10th December 2004, 12:01
Horse Pile?

bungbung
10th December 2004, 12:11
Hows about them shoes? shows? showers?

Biff
10th December 2004, 13:07

Testicules? :yeah:

scumdog
10th December 2004, 14:01
whose photos? - dont know who he was talking to - needs to take a chill pill though

What happened to the bit about hiding under a flat rock hey? hey? :yeah:

kerryg
10th December 2004, 15:56

Hi there ...ahem...Root :shutup: ...

I have been hoping some other KBer would save me the embarrassment :o but seems it is going to fall on my (reluctant) shoulders. :innocent:

Rott... Root... Root.......you come from an ancient country with many of its own little idiosyncrasies (dropped aspirates,warm beer, faggots, not bathing... :shake: ) so you will be able to understand what I am about to reveal to you: here in the Antipodes we have developed our own vernacular...and here the word "root" has a certain...umm...how shall I express this delicately??.... prurient :buggerd: usage.

I'll say no more. You'll no doubt do the right thing. A nudge is as good as a wink, eh? :rolleyes:

gav
10th December 2004, 21:35
Yeah, sorry mate, might have been a little heavy handed, but 3 of your road bikes have rego plates clearly visible, might need a little photoshop or cut and paste job on them their plates :hug:

Motoracer
10th December 2004, 21:48
Sorry, a bit late here.

Welcome aboard! You will find the KB crew, most friendly and helpful.

Some of us Aucklanders are planning on riding down to Welly on the 1st week of Jan '05. A ride will be organised within the Wellington area and surroundings for then. I hope that you'll be able to join us.

MR :wavey:

R00T
10th December 2004, 23:35
and here the word "root" has a certain...umm...
lol.. yes I know, where I come from bugger is 'to do a man up the arse', and I see kiwi's walking about with it on hat's thinking its cool... even kids go around saying it... its a little too faggotory for me to not laugh about.

But 'root', for those that don't know, 'root' is the linux admin super user, these here forums are only possible because of 'root' and as I have a number of linux servers of my own, and admin a few for others I chose that name years ago to also user on-line.

As for the plates.. I doubt any officers that bother to come here want to waste their time chasing something they know they cannot prove.

Motoracer, please keep me informed about the early January ride, I would love to join in.

p.s. I only ride like a dickface when I am on my own, I don't put others at risk.

sels1
12th December 2004, 19:03
Welcome. great intro. Hope to see you at Wgtn events sometime

Biff
13th December 2004, 14:14
What happened to the bit about hiding under a flat rock hey? hey? :yeah:

I got confused, I thought that somebody was having a dig at me for some reason. Obviously not as you're all such decent chaps and chapesses here.

So if I've made an ar :moon: se of myself sorry. If I haven't then I'd better try harder next time.

matthewt
13th December 2004, 18:39
Nice rvf root, I saw it when I was at Bowen State the other day.

Did you used to have a black ute with NOMOJO on the plate ??

R00T
13th December 2004, 22:25
matthewt - Well spotted ol'chap....
Yes that was my Falcon Ute, that pile of crap fell apart and after 2 and a half years I returned it under the consumer guarantees act...
I got a Black Focus Ghia now, same plate, better quality (made in Belgium).

I just chopped in the XJR for the RVF, the XJR was all mouth and no trousers but had lots of presence on the road, on the other hand the RVF is all suspension and drooling pilot, its been a long time since I rode on suspension this good, some areas of the bike need a bit of work though as the previous owner appears to have hammered it and not really cared for it too well, lots of iffy cracks in the body in odd places.
2nd and 5th gears try and jump out to false neutrals all the time too, I always ride with pressure on the gearlever anyway to stop jumping but can feel half leap out and race for a spit second if I go hard, its got some race bred adjustable rear-sets fitted on it which I can probably get more travel out of the selector shaft to make the change more positive, and the whole bike needs a quality service and tune before i will be happy.

So where do you know me from ? Sawyers ? Dirt riding ? Friend of a friend ?

matthewt
14th December 2004, 09:25
So where do you know me from ? Sawyers ? Dirt riding ? Friend of a friend ?

From a Sawyers trackday at Manfeild. I remember you telling me about going to court to defend that ticket. And now you mention it I seem to recall at the time you weren't very happy about the ute either.

It was a few years ago so I was either on my 95 CBR900 or the MV F4. Both had the plate MATHU on them.

God Wellington is small.

R00T
14th December 2004, 15:53
Nice one, you must have had the CBR900 as I would defo remember the MV, MV's give me movement in the underpants department.

I will be in at Sawyers tomorrow to do some business and will get a date out of Barry as to when the next Track Day is.

MSTRS
14th December 2004, 16:33
Yeah its taken from the perspecitve of the taxi driver as he is lying on the ground after I pulled him out of the car.... rofl
Some of us might be forgiven for thinking it was a UK HP member introducing himself. Ours aren't that bad yet , are they? :buggerd:

R00T
14th December 2004, 22:32
The level of intelligence and basic common sense displayed on New Zealands road is very poor.
Take for example the amount of people that give way to uphill traffic, especially when they have an obstruction on their side of the road, they even enter the uphill traffics lane to not give way.

Unfortunately a large number of taxi drivers in Wellington especially, completely ignore a lot of road rules, dont give way at junctions, never stop at compulsory stops, and display some of the laziest driving standards I have seen in the developed world.
They seem to have completely forgotten that their customers also use the roads.

The Majority of Cab drivers in the UK are exceptional drivers, along with the Police, something our NZ counterparts do appear to need some help with, (driving skills that is) most don't seem to know what IAM is... :killingme

magnum
20th December 2004, 20:10
hello and welcome :cool:

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 23:38
Welcome and enjoy :banana: