PDA

View Full Version : First ride on a cruiser today.

ital916
29th March 2008, 13:46
Hey all!

Well seeing as I am bikeless and am now in the process of looking for a new one I though it would be a great day to go test ride my first cruiser. So of I went to the motorcycle store *which I shall not name*, filled out the form to test ride a pretty beaten up old virago 250 lol, by beaten up, it look pretty tired and well like it had been dropped a bit. Anyway as I was only test riding to see how the bike went, I did not flinch. Keys in the bike and off I went, well once I had adjust the brake and clutch levers..shame, yes mini ape hangers are a thing to get used to.

So I took off and the first thing I noticed was the torque and how underwhelming it was *I will get to this later*, interesting so I gave ti a bit more stick and off she went. First impressions then. She was comfy, veeeeery comfy compared to my 2 smoker. Once I got used to feet forward and stopped flailing about every time I started looking for foot pegs I was sussed. Chill out and enjoy the ride was the name of the game and that I did. Soaked up the sun and cruised in third gear the whole time! Holy mackerel batman, you don't really need to change gear do ya. I was getting used to it but still surprised atthe lack of power the engine had whent he bike died. Gay, started her up got all of 100m and she died again and didn't start. So i pushed her a bit and got her bump started but alas 300m down the road, dead. Poos, so I parked her up and walked back to the store *five min away luckily*, they came and tried to no avail so chucked it on the back of the ute and drove back to the store. Turns out the fuel in the tank was stale, mixed with water and that it was scraping reserve. :mad:. After all that though, I won't let it deter me, I've felt enough to like what I rode *even though it was a bag of shit* to merit actually seriosuly looking at a cruiser.

So the bike search continues....budget will most likely be 3g. What can I get for that. I'm thinking a 94-98 250 virago with about 40thou on the clock. I definately wanna test ride another virago, just have to bloody find one thats not nutted. On a bright note, the torque that I did have was nice, and being able to pull away easily was a god send! Seeing as I ride at 100k average anyway I'm very interested to look at cruisers further.

Ride Safe dudes

Drider

Headbanger
29th March 2008, 14:20
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-147013461.htm?key=445719

motorbyclist
29th March 2008, 15:57
Holy mackerel batman, you don't really need to change gear do ya.

well, considering you've been riding an RG150 i should imagine you'd think so!:clap:

go for gold mate, but don't forget to give the old VTR, GPX, and CBR/zxr a go, then try squiggle's DR250 and get back to us on what they're all like - that way you'll have ridden every bike type available under the 250cc limit;)

maybe find a "vfr250" too:2thumbsup

Phurrball
29th March 2008, 16:17
Cruisers ain't too bad eh D?

Do test ride a VTR250 at some stage though - they're an absolute cracker - save a little and you'd be onto one - give me a yell if you want a blatt on ours (Just don't tell she to whom the bike nominally belongs...)

Ross

ital916
29th March 2008, 16:36
Yeah it was fun! Braking is completely different, hit the front brakes and it dips hard, gotta use the rear more. Feet forward was weird at first but very comfy, now where do i test ride a vtr.

motorbyclist
29th March 2008, 17:22
Ross's house!

just look around the shops. between mt eden, red baron and colemans there'll be atleast one

EJK
29th March 2008, 18:51
You need a 4 stroke lol

Nagash
29th March 2008, 18:58
Ah, you saw me ripping it up on the Rebel and you wanna know how I do it aye?

All skill mate, all skill.

ital916
29th March 2008, 20:20
You need a bike that works lol *mind you I need a bike*, if the trend of going down cc's continues your gonna be on a street magic soon. ;)

Usarka
29th March 2008, 20:23
can you summarise that 18 line paragraph? :drinkup::wacko::Oops:

cruiser = good

or

cruiser = bad

EJK
29th March 2008, 20:35
You need a bike that works lol *mind you I need a bike*, if the trend of going down cc's continues your gonna be on a street magic soon. ;)

Wait and see kiddo, wait and see... :rolleyes:

ital916
29th March 2008, 22:29
I wrote that paragraph in a hurry, really should chop it up a little lol. Cruiser = good, not better or worse but different, a nice kind of different. Could this be me getting hooked lol

YellowDog
29th March 2008, 22:49
IMO Cruisers = Good for Cruising.

Feet up = A pain in traffic.

Low down = Poor visibility.

Cruisers = Good for Cruising.

breakaway
29th March 2008, 22:58
Cruisers = Good for Cruising.

!!! who woulda thunk?

I want to ride one of these 'cruisers' you speak of. Every bike I've owned / ridden had the hunched over sportbike seating position.

heyjoe
29th March 2008, 23:16
Good luck with your hunting. When u get your cruiser - get out there and enjoy yourself!

shafty
29th March 2008, 23:34
Hi DR, - are you limited to a 250 due to your licence status? Have you seen (impending I think) changes to M'cycle learners laws, so that, based on a power to weight ratio, you could go up to a 650? Thought it worth a mention........... good luck :)

SilverGrin
29th March 2008, 23:39
Good luck with your hunting. When u get your cruiser - get out there and enjoy yourself!

What he said.

Come over to the dark side, you know you want to.

Blossom
29th March 2008, 23:44
Good luck with the hunt. there are a few options round on the 250 cruiser front. I am loving my new VL250 heaps. My second choice would have been a magna, and then the virago. All great bikes.

ital916
30th March 2008, 06:21
Well I just saw an eliminator on trademe, damn they look like muscle bikes for a 250! Are they any good?

Bren
30th March 2008, 09:10
yeah...wait and pick up the likes of an LS 650 Savage if they change these laws...good old thumper with heaps of torque

motorbyclist
30th March 2008, 14:01
!!! who woulda thunk?

I want to ride one of these 'cruisers' you speak of. Every bike I've owned / ridden had the hunched over sportbike seating position.

which oddly enough makes sportsbikes good for sports!

weird thing for me is, after trying cruiser and tourer seating, i still somehow prefer the sports stance.

Hi DR, - are you limited to a 250 due to your licence status? Have you seen (impending I think) changes to M'cycle learners laws, so that, based on a power to weight ratio, you could go up to a 650? Thought it worth a mention........... good luck :)

maybe investing in an overpriced 250 wouldn't be a wise investment.... and would now be an excellent time to buy a whole lot of 400 and 500cc bikes?

link to more details please

shingo
30th March 2008, 14:21
here's an 18 page discussion on it

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=70332

Has links in the first post to the news articles with all the proposed changes.

ital916
30th March 2008, 17:20
The proposed rule changes are still in the discussion stage, by the time they come out I would have my full. Guy came into the store today to buy gear for his new 250, I was like "oh what is it?"...turns out it was one of the bikes I wanted lol

Ragingrob
30th March 2008, 17:28
Bro which motomail do you work out? College hill? Discount? Haha!

Nagash
30th March 2008, 18:01
I reckon you'd do well on a 250 cruiser,

They're pretty low power so you're looking at maxxing out about 130km/h but i've known you to be a pretty steady rider so I don't reckon that'd be an issue for you.

The 250's are little enough to still be flickable so you can corner them like nohting else, just don't panic everytime you scrape the foot pegs.. or the exhaust.. or the rear brake lever.. or alot of things actually. It happens alot.

They're bloody comfortable, i've gone all over NZ on mine and very rarely get a sore arse.

The wide handle bars mean they're really easy to control at slow speeds around the city and what not, you're quite short so you'll be able to fit the cruisers real easy (My knees get in the way sometimes but i'm 6ft tall)

See how it goes mate. You can test ride my bike any time you want, just drop me a pm cause I recommend you do try other bikes.. souns like that Virago was a bit of a lemon.

Good luck with whatever you're next bike is mate.

motorbyclist
30th March 2008, 22:57
The proposed rule changes are still in the discussion stage, by the time they come out I would have my full.

by that stage they would've identified what parts make the most sense and removed all of them too <_<