PDA

View Full Version : Who says 150s can't do big rides!

Sketchy_Racer
30th March 2008, 11:16
On thursday night I decided that I wanted to go for a ride, so I msn'ed Quallman1234 and asked him if he wanted to go to napier. He was keen so it was set. Two RG150s were going to do the trip to napier and back.

To make the trip interesting, I meet up with him after work on friday and meet at pauatanui Challenge at 3:00PM. We then headed over Paikakariki Hill to my house in paraparaumu, I needed to buy a new battery so might lights would work, and get changed etc.

So at about 6 in the evening we departed from my house. We decided that going back Over paikakariki hill would be more fun then over haywards to the hutt then over the Rumitakas. Just to make the ride interesting.
We stopped for fuel at Caltex just before Rumitakas. I decided I would check the water in my radiator... Hello, where's my radiator cap! Luckily most the water was still in there, and they had one that would fit my bike for sale!

So we head over Rumitakas which was awesome, Empty road to play around on the 150s. Kyle was stoaked he got his peg down! and I managed the peg and a bit of the cordua on my knee :rolleyes:

after here it was a bit boring. all striaght ish road. My bike developed a problem with my high beam. every time i put it on high beam it would kill the whole bike... Low beam it is then sir!

Stop for fuel in dannivirk, then head over to napier. Went to Speights_Buds house who were staying with that night, dropped all our gear had some food then headed to his mates flat were the Jagermeister was busted out and fun started..

Night goes on, we get drunk ish.. and go back to Speights_Buds for some sleep. We were heading back the next day!

after chilling out we left napier at around 2:00pm on sat afternoon.

We rode down SH2 untill the Piatuah track turn off.. Dunno if it was because I was tired or something, but that road wasn't as much fun as people had seemed to make it out to be...

We got to levin then Quallman1234 and I went separate ways. I was stopping in at a friends and he had some people to see.

It started raining in levin, so i was glad i bought the wet weather gear. I was very very quickly reminded how damn slippery the risen tar on the road is. That shit is leathal!

So back to pram, with nearly 800kms ridden in 24 hours. Not bad on a 150!

The only thing I can fault, is the fucken seat on the RG.. im gonna be walkin funny for a while.. ! I might get a sheep skin for the next mission!

anyway, if you have a little bike, do some half decent rides on it. Oh and my 150 runs 20x better after a good ride like that than it ever has!

-Glen

Bonez
30th March 2008, 11:28
Good on ya.

gijoe1313
30th March 2008, 11:37
Now thats what I like to hear sir! Nicely done, nicely done! :yes:

quallman1234
30th March 2008, 15:53
Sweet ride, Sweet write up - When's the next one?
150's do long distance absolutely fine!
Not only were they 150's but also 2 strokes!. (RG150's)
Like Glen say's if you have a <250cc - Man up and go for a long ride.

Cheers

Bonez
30th March 2008, 15:57
What sort of range do you get out of your tanks? Theres some interesting sealed back routes though to Pahiatua and beyond.

quallman1234
30th March 2008, 15:59
What sort of range do you get out of your tanks? Theres some interesting sealed back routes though to Pahiatua and beyond.

Mine burnt on average about a litre more than glen's one same bikes except mine has a brand new engine in it I don't have the fairings on mine and i think his is geared up?.
On average it was about 200km to a tank and then 50km on reserve.
Im not one to push fuel ranges tho!

Bonez
30th March 2008, 16:20
Mine burnt on average about a litre more than glen's one same bikes except mine has a brand new engine in it I don't have the fairings on mine and i think his is geared up?.
On average it was about 200km to a tank and then 50km on reserve.
Im not one to push fuel ranges tho!That's wise. Topping up at Masterton then toddling around to Afredton, on to Pongaroa then Pahiatua would be well within your range. If you feel a bit uncomfortable you could always go to
Eketahuna from Alfredton.

Just suggestions. Reasonably good road(not race track smooth though in places) and stuff all traffic.

Str8 Jacket
30th March 2008, 16:46
anyway, if you have a little bike, do some half decent rides on it. Oh and my 150 runs 20x better after a good ride like that than it ever has!

-Glen

Fuck yeah. I put 1000k's on Malcoms RG150 in 2.5 day's and had an absolute blast! Real expensive in gas and oil but worth it! :niceone:

ital916
30th March 2008, 17:26
Hell yeah, my rg150 did the cape and back no probs, until the front tire came off *90k away from home, so close lol*. They are a brill bike.

Pathos
30th March 2008, 20:20
Yeah I went from hamilton to Wellington and back on a long weekend on my fxr150.

The rattle through the bike from the single cyclinder was uncomfortable but it went great. Used crap all gas.

McJim
30th March 2008, 20:27
RG150s rock. I miss the one my wife sold. 200km per tank is about right. Useful to always keep a reserve bottle of fully synth 2T oil under the seat though.