PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if...

ehab2weelr
30th March 2008, 18:28
1. What would you do if a mate of yours or someone you know rides your bike without your permission?

2. and what would you do if they crash it, drop it, or do something that will end up costing you?
what would you do if it was you that did that on your mates bike?

3. would you ever let any one learn on your bike? if not how do you say NO!

4. what would you do if you ever end up crashing into your mate while riding? or vice versa?

5. what is the minimum age that you think people can start riding?

6. would you ever take a girl on your bike (the thing with 2 wheels a motor) who is not wearing enough protection?

those are some questions i came up with cause am board...hah:first:

Mom
30th March 2008, 18:37
They are all good questions, and boredom can be cured by riding.
I digress. Ask them one at a time mate, too many questions to answer at one time!

homer
30th March 2008, 18:40
well i wouldnt ride someone elses bike or touch it ,
same as they wouldnt be riding mine .

I think its a bit stupid to ask or expect to ride another persons bike , unless buying it .
its your pride and joy the bike you have isnt it.

klyong82
30th March 2008, 18:49
What would you do if a mate of yours or someone you know rides your bike withe or without your permission?

and what would you do if they crash it, drop it, or do something that will end up coasting you?

would you ever let any one learn on your bike? if not how do you say NO!

what would you do if you ever end up crashing into your mate while riding? or vice versa?

what is the minimum age that you think people can start riding?

would you ever take a girl on your bike (the thing with 2 wheels a motor) who is not wearing enough protection?

Are you writing a report ehab?

First of all I'll make sure he/she has the necessary licence to ride a bike. If someone is learning to ride a bike then I will make sure he/she will be liable for any damages incurred to it. If it was me I'll definitely pay for the loss as I think it is fair.

If I had to say no then it will just be plain sentence "I think my bike is not suitable as a learning bike or this bike is too heavy for you etc you need a more learner friendly bike etc etc".

Minimum age???hmmm sensitive topic so decline to answer!!

If I pillion anyone guy or girl I will make sure proper clothings are worn minimum jeans and thick jacket....you know this ehab it is what SMC always encourage/enforce members and all riders. :baby:

Squiggles
30th March 2008, 20:18
What would you do if a mate of yours or someone you know rides your bike withe or without your permission?

and what would you do if they crash it, drop it, or do something that will end up coasting you?

would you ever let any one learn on your bike? if not how do you say NO!

what would you do if you ever end up crashing into your mate while riding? or vice versa?

what is the minimum age that you think people can start riding?

would you ever take a girl on your bike (the thing with 2 wheels a motor) who is not wearing enough protection?

1. Kick their ass, they pay or its to the plods (im brutal)
2. Yes, i teach people on the GN.
3. We have insurance for a reason, im fully covered.
4. 16's an alright age, not keen on 15 for some reason
5. I dont like it, i will if i absolutely have to, but no otherwise (and i usually say im bringing the jacket and helmet for them)

Finn
30th March 2008, 20:25

Easy. Sleep with their misses. What goes around, cums around.

SlashWylde
30th March 2008, 21:09
1. What would you do if a mate of yours or someone you know rides your bike withe or without your permission?

If a mate rode my bike with my permission there wouldn't be an issue would there - stupid question!

If they rode it without my permission they'd get a rightly deserved bollocking from me.

2. and what would you do if they crash it, drop it, or do something that will end up coasting you?

Again, give them a bollocking and make them pay the excess. Depending on circumstances and the level of friendship, might not be friends anymore.

I don't ride my mates bikes 'cause I don't want to be responsible for any mishaps that might damage their baby.

NO. Just tell them it's too big for a learner and I don't wanna have to deal with the fallout if something goes wrong. This keeps the friendship safe from ensuing arguments in the event of a prang.

4. what would you do if you ever end up crashing into your mate while riding? or vice versa?

Insist on paying the excess and taking care of the repair hassles. It's all about honour and responsibility for ones actions.

Age has little to do with it. Attitude, maturity and ability is more important.

6. would you ever take a girl on your bike (the thing with 2 wheels a motor) who is not wearing enough protection?

Have done before but didn't like it (yeah, she was hot and I was cajoled into it). Won't let 'em on without all the right gear these days.

Nagash
30th March 2008, 21:41
1. What would you do if a mate of yours or someone you know rides your bike withe or without your permission?

Without my permission.. i'd be curious as to how they got my keys but I wouldn't be that miffed. I'd get them to tell me enxt time but as long as nothing happened then no biggie at the time. Do it again and I won't be happy.

2. and what would you do if they crash it, drop it, or do something that will end up coasting you?

If the bike is still rideable and no real damage to it, then forgotten and forgiven. Just never let 'em near it again. If it's totally fucked, ask for a lump of cash. If they don't pay up, police will be involved.

I'd pay whatever was needed to get it back to it's original standard

Yup, i've taught about 5 or 6 people on the bike. If I wanna say no I just say no, and I have. Some people, friend or foe, I just wouldn't trust.

Pay for his bike, it's just an honour thing like someone mentioned before, I couldn't deal with smashing anothers ride. If someone crashed into me and wasn't insured.. i'd look at the situation. What were the reasons why he crashed, if it was just an accident then fair do's. I get some money off him but not a hell of alot. If he was being a prat, full price. Or police.

Personally I was real happy I could ride at 15 years old, I thought it was great. But really that is far too young, alot of people at that age are just plain stupid. Unlike me. Make it 16 and i'll be happy.

Done it a few times before, obviously minimum a helmet, fully enlocsed shoes and gloves. (I carry spare gloves with me at all times and sometimes a helmet just cause i can). Depends how desperately she needed a ride to get to somewhere.. if she just wanted to go for a ride, full protection, rubbers and leathers. If she was trapped at some party and couldn't get a way home, i'd give her a ride with whatever she was wearing and go real careful..

motorbyclist
31st March 2008, 00:59

With permission, no problem, and a few people like the old man have automatic permisson - my good mate across the road plus all family can ride/borrow my dirtbike on a "you break it, you fix it" mutual understanding.

Without permission, well i call that stealing. last kid to try that won't be trying that again (seriously, if you're going to steal a bike don't do it at the exact same time the rider goes to ride home it every bloody day - he's holding a heavy helmet and isn't going to ask questions)

2. and what would you do if they crash it, drop it, or do something that will end up costing you?

as i said, you break it you fix it. happened before and i was reasonable about it.
if they back out, i'll call insurance and be a right bastard about it - if i'm not covered cause they didn't have their full i'll take em to court if a i have to.

fix it, and make sure it is as good, if not better than the original condition.
BUT, if it's something that was going to break anyway, i'd be alot less willing to fork out if i hadn't caused the failure through abuse

not on my viffer, i put em on a dirtbike, and to say no i simply say no.

apologise, make sure they aren't hurt before anything else. fix their ride before mine and make sure they aren't left out of pocket due to my fuckup. i've got 3rd party for a reason.

if they hit me, i've also got full cover. offroad i'll chase them up on it, but i will make a good effort to simply repair myself rather than replace.

on the road? 15 seems reasonable if the kid is sensible, but you get idiots no-matter what age they are. remember 16year old school leavers do need to get to and from work just like the rest of us.

though i do think the car age should go up to 12 months older than the bike age to encourage kids to get bikes and hopefully make much more competent cagers in the future.

now i remember a ride where you did exactly that!
myself i make sure she (or he) is well aware of the risk involved with or without gear. if there's less than shoes, gloves, jeans and thick jacket i won't take her unless absolutely necessary.

CookMySock
31st March 2008, 05:33

1, exceedingly unlikely, but I would say "don't do that again" and walk away.
2. they buy it, or surrender something of similar value. Right NOW. Crasher pays.
3. No. Tell them no, and don't ask again. You can borrow my wife, but not my bike, kthx.
4. Each person pays.
5. 15
6. For a VERY quiet idle around the local street, yes. Helmet is required.

DB

bomma
31st March 2008, 11:53
1. What would you do if a mate of yours or someone you know rides your bike without your permission?

1. give them a smashing and let em know that next time its their knee caps that will be redeemed as compensation

2. give them a smashing and send em a bill for the damage, depending on how tight, eventually ask them if they are alright (physically) and ask what made them think they could ride my baby....

3. i taught someone on my old vtr250. its not hard to say no, the word only has 2 letters ffs!!

4. depending on circumstances and outcome of crash, this could vary from never forgive myself and give up biking to a few laughs and a dent in the bank account

5. "can start" is different to "should start".....4year olds have started riding but licensing-wise 15 is good enuff, at that age its upto the parents to decide. Trusting enough to let their kid to get a bike and licence, they must be satisfied with the kid's maturity

6. "enough protection" is ambiguous. Enough protection for a ride down the driveway isnt the same as a ride up to wellsford. But no, if they are not wearing the right gear for the current circumstance.

some deep questions here ehab, didnt quite expect this from you :cool: now off to hotwire my mate's bike, crash it into another mate who is 13 and is learning to ride on a different mates' motorbike and all this while in a borat thong and no helmet WAHAHAHAHAHAAA:devil2:

Hanne
31st March 2008, 15:27

1. Would depend who it was. Dad and Stephen can ride my bike whenever (that was kind of understood when I gave them keys to her). But anyone else I would expect to ask first, and if they didn't... would depend what state she came back in. If in the same condition then the rider would get a good telling off but that's all, if NOT in the same condition then they had better watch out because that is pretty much stealing.

2. If they damage it, they pay for it. Actually I don't think this would happen though as I am covered for anyone to ride my bike so long as they abide to their licence conditions. So probably I would get them to just pay the excess, depending on the extent of the damage.
If I did it to someone else's bike, of course i would make sure it was fixed by me to the same standard at least.

3. I don't think my bike is very good to learn on because it is quite heavy and fully faired. So I would suggest they come and have a go on the GN at Stephen's place with him (I don't think he would mind teaching another person, and he would tell them if he did), Or on the DR once it is fixed up. But not a bike with fairings i ncase they do the trick I did with the GN sidestand (or lack of...)

4. Make sure they were ok. Make sure their bike got fixed up. Fingers crossed this never happens!

5. Legally licensing? 16.

6. Well, that is what the spare helmet, jacket and gloves are for. I would take him/her in jeans and a long sleeved top as a minimum, so long as they knew the risks. Unless it was one of my sisters. Then they would have to wear it all.

Hmm. Thanks for the distraction ehab, but I really should be studying!!!!
So that's all.

HungusMaximist
31st March 2008, 15:29
2. You break somebody else's stuff, you pay for it. There's pretty much nothing more to it.

End of the day, the relationship with your mate is more important but you you gotta cop bill for the damage, seeing it's only fair.

EJK
31st March 2008, 15:38

More likely from what happened on last Saturday won't you say?

shafty
31st March 2008, 17:16
More likely from what happened on last Saturday won't you say?

what happened? Spill!

ehab2weelr
31st March 2008, 17:38
this was not intended for what people had done unless u wana talk about it and give others an example but its just me being board and with questions on mined.:rolleyes:

also for the age thing, the question is when is a good age to start on or off road, and what should be the legal age?

but i see some great answers by people and i see that heaps of people are just as board as me....hahah :banana:

motorbyclist
31st March 2008, 18:18
also for the age thing, the question is when is a good age to start on or off road, and what should be the legal age

offroad is a matter of maturity and size of the child, and having as little input from mum as possible - if you don't get hurt when you crash you won't learn anything from it

i reckon as young as 5 is fine for a PW50 in the back yard. something automatic with bugger all power. full parental supervision too obviously