PDA

View Full Version : Swing sidecar

rodmcm
31st March 2008, 20:16
I am thinking of building a swing sidecar so I can out camping gear on it rather then clutter the bike. Does anyone know whether i would get it through the LTSA?

Motu
31st March 2008, 21:04
Someone has built it and it must obviously work - but from my experience it's a flawed concept.A motorcycle steers by countersteering,but a sidecar doesn't...it turns in the direction you steer.So in a left hand turn on this outfit,if you steer left,the bike will countersteer to the right and flop you in the chair,and dump you on the road for a right turn.I speak from experience - I have been dumped both into the chair and onto the road on a sidecar with floating top links...so it behaves just like this setup.

But I believe it must work,and on the one I rode it took skill I didn't possess.There is a fine line of balance required between the countersteering motorcycle and the normal steering sidecar,and the slow speed point where a steering motorcycle turns into a countersteering bike is crucial.

I've seen them ridden,so have we got input from someone who has ridden one of these correctly set up?

BASS-TREBLE
31st March 2008, 21:05
It is a good idea but I would prefer a slim trailer as it doesn't add that width and stops anything geting caught when going wide around corners.
Take that pic for example, imagine going into a fast left hander at pace and think about how wide you will be, from your helmet to the right wheel?

rodmcm
1st April 2008, 20:04
have a look at this

http://www.kalich.de/

F5 Dave
2nd April 2008, 10:52
take the car.

seriously if you have that much gear that you want to spend a bunch of money buggering up the handling rather than packing more sparsely then send the wife ahead or courier your gear.