PDA

View Full Version : Bike licensing HELP!

dreamer87
1st April 2008, 14:12
I am looking at getting a 01 KLX250 and registering it for the road as its got the road kit, fairly late model bike. It serves a dual purpose, to use on the road to get down to the shops, and also to use on the farm getting cows in when my other bikes getting fixed up as well as fun off road stuff, KLX because I like them and 250, because I only have a restricted class 6 license and dont have the time to get a full one as of yet, as like I say the bikes going to half road half off most of the time so I would guess a 250 would go ok. Have in the past owned XR400's loyally but I need something cheap <$2900 which is what alot of later model KLX250's with road kits are going for.

Now, a few questions. Does anyone know how a late model KLX250 goes on the open road, can it keep and hold at 100kms ok?
Next questions. The bike I am proposing to get has never been registered. Does anyone know the process of VIN'n and rego for bikes etc? Once that is done I guess you can take it to the AA to get a warrant slaped on am I correct?

Anyones help here much appreciated to a newbie to road rego and licensing.

Cheers

dreamer87
1st April 2008, 15:50
someone, anyone, please

MyGSXF
1st April 2008, 15:57
Check out this thread.. re: VIN

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33101

xwhatsit
1st April 2008, 15:58
I'm pretty sure a 2002 KLX250 is what was chasing me home from Kawhia on Sunday. $CENSLS$ is his username. Was certainly able to keep up with me easily in the tight stuff; although on long straight roads with a headwind he was just as tapped out as me trying to keep at 100kph (but unlike me, couldn't get down low over the bars to help things along). So all in all, a typical 250cc thumper.

dreamer87
1st April 2008, 16:49
Sweet guys, From what I have found out VIN'n etc isnt that much, I guess from what it seems VTNZ or some place like that should be able to do it?

So you reckon the KLX250's a pretty good ok bike for the road? I am an experienced bike rider for some, infact many years, just not legally I might say so Im playing by the rules now so hence my reasoning for the KLX250 and also the dual purpose for the farm as well. I dont want to get some thumper like a 600 or something as a) i would be breaking the law and I dont plan to get my full m/cycle license for years and b) it will rip the farm to bits, how do I know? I have tried it!

But yea keen to hear any other ppl's opinions on the KLX250's. Also, legally speaking, you know when you come up to stoped lights on a bike, are you allowed to go up the middle or side to get to the front of the que? Whats the legal in's and out's of legal road code bike riding that they dont cover in the road coad?

Any tips as not to get caught looking like a dick>?

Cheers

tommorth
1st April 2008, 17:12
think you will need to prove the bike isnt stolen etc so would need records from the dealer that sold it new or dereg and shipping docs if it was imported

Rosie
1st April 2008, 17:21
I imagine a KLX would be fine for the open road. I'm too short to be able to ride one, but I feel marginally qualified to make some comments. I ride a KL250, which is the lower-compression, air-cooled sibling of the KLX. While it would be nice to have a bit more power, I can still get along ok. Like any small bike, you'd slow down in a head wind, and have to plan a bit in advance to pass people.

I'd talk to VTNZ to find out about getting the bike registered. They are usually very knowledgeable and helpful, and you don't have to queue behind dithery people wanting help to organise their entire holiday, like you do at the AA :nono:

dreamer87
1st April 2008, 17:43
what if I bought the bike privatly from some guy and he can give me a reciept?

Ill have a talk to them at VTNZ, Yea those AA offices are always busy with random people and they always take the longest to get the straightest answer out of!

I think a KLX250 would be fine for what I want to use as it as a random commute to Auckland to get things etc.

Anyone got a run on the do's and dont's of general m/cycle riding as I need to learn legally what to do instead of just chance it like I have been.