PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof over-suits - what to buy?

sinned
1st April 2008, 18:30
Winter is almost here.

I have Revit gear and it does leak after a while in heavy rain - I guess all gear leaks after a while. So I have been looking for wet weather gear. RJs have a full suit with overgloves, Oxford a full suit, Spool and I guess others. Then there is the low cost Warehouse option which I tried out - but the jacket ripped open in the wind and the trouser shape makes it hard to mount the bike.

What are the recommendations from those who know. A full suit or separate top and pants and what brand?

What?
1st April 2008, 19:23
As a general rule, you get what you pay for. Revit, R-Jays etc are cheap, eh?
I saw a damned nice-looking one-piece suit with Triumph branding on it a while back. Upper end of the price range, but the quality looked to be up there. That was at Tom Byrne's in Sydney - don't know if they are imported here.
1 or 2 piece doesn't really matter, provided the overlap on a 2-piece is sufficient to keep the water out. This should be checked when seated!
The big thing to check, after ease of getting on and off, is fit around the neck; if it's loose, it will let water in. Also don't want it too baggy, or the flapping in the breeze will drive you nuts.
Enjoy your shopping.

Mr Triple
1st April 2008, 19:31
Winter is almost here.

I have Revit gear and it does leak after a while in heavy rain - I guess all gear leaks after a while. So I have been looking for wet weather gear. RJs have a full suit with overgloves, Oxford a full suit, Spool and I guess others. Then there is the low cost Warehouse option which I tried out - but the jacket ripped open in the wind and the trouser shape makes it hard to mount the bike.

What are the recommendations from those who know. A full suit or separate top and pants and what brand?

I've got a bone dry one which works real well. The only thing with it is it's abit bulky when all folded up, takes abit of room. The other thing to it is the front zip is small and likes to catch on the suit on the way up, which I find a bastard:Pokey: Other than that it's easy to pull on and off with gear on.:wari:

paturoa
1st April 2008, 20:03
I went the Tecnic el-cheapo 2 piece from the Motomail outlet store next to Kerry's and they have done 3 winters and 2 brass monkey trips. I don't remember how much they were but they were certainly budget!

They have never leaked and show no sign of rips or wear spots yet. The downside is that they keep the sweat in too, so if I wear them for too long I get wet anyway.

I got xxl size and they are a bit too large (thing michelan man) so that there was not too much stretch in the arm pits or crotch. Was a good idea.

edit - rolls up real small and the front zip on the jacket is a bit dogey.

sels1
1st April 2008, 20:16
I've been kicking around the idea of getting one of those 1 piece suits myself Dennis so will be also keen to see what folk recommend.
I normally use my RJays cordura suit in the winter and it holds up pretty well but if it rains for long enough some usually finds it way in

Henk
5th April 2008, 09:51
I've got an Ixon suit and my wife has a bone dry. Both have been good so far. The Bone dry is warmer but the Ixon folds up smaller. Both are a bit of a pain to get on but not that different from 1 piece leathers so I guess they will all be like that.

vifferman
5th April 2008, 10:04
I've had several two-piece suits and one one-piece. While the one-piece was 100% waterproof, it was also 100% discomfort: it didn't breathe, had no vents, and so if there was even the faintest glimmer of solar radiation through the clouds, I got broiled. It was also hard to get on and off, despite buying the largest size available, and it having a zip right down one side. Never again.
Two piece is much better.

Maha
5th April 2008, 10:15
I have a Dririder one piece, absolutely brilliant, does what I need it to, keep out the wet and the wind chill.

zeocen
5th April 2008, 10:26
Can I ask where you got a Dririder/Ixon one piece? I'm also in the market for an oversuit

Cheers!

NZsarge
5th April 2008, 10:35
I'm shall we say, a little bigger than your average rider so i'm thinking that I might have an over jacket.. erm.. jacket made. Anyone got any ideas of where a bloke might be able to go to get this sorted? I've got one possibility thanks to Chanceyy but options would be good.

Maha
5th April 2008, 10:38
Can I ask where you got a Dririder/Ixon one piece? I'm also in the market for an oversuit

Cheers!

Dririder purchased from Cycletreads. Go try one, they are open all weekend and they smell nice....:whistle: (the suit, not the staff)

Maha
5th April 2008, 10:43
Actually I have a suit here that i borrowed from a mate in Auckland (got caught down there in the rain) it has only been worn twice, once by me and once by him, he has been here a couple of times since but doesn't seem to want it back, might ask him if he wants to sell it...size XL which is what i wear and im 5'10''

TOTO
5th April 2008, 11:11
here is what my noobness found --> http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=70928

my 0.02c

Hitcher
5th April 2008, 15:05
1. Go to a camping/outdoors store, rather than to a motorcycle clothing outlet.

2. Buy a parka/leggings made of waterproof/breathable fabric. There are a couple of manufacturers to choose from. Timberland is the best I have found.

An added benefit from this type of clothing is that they are also designed to pack down really small, which makes them ideal for motorcyclists.

We use ours a lot over summer and "between seasons" when we're either wearing mesh jacket and Draggins, or leather jacket and Draggins. The stuff that motorcycle clothing manufacturers try to flog is generally crap. They appear to work on the assumption that bikers don't ride in the rain, but just in case we'll flog something that we haven't actually tested for waterproofness, ease of use or durability.

vifferman
5th April 2008, 15:26
The stuff that motorcycle clothing manufacturers try to flog is generally crap.
Some isn't: I am really pleased with my Motoline pants, and would've bought the matching jacket, had I needed it. They're nylon, so fold up very small, but are treated (plasticised) on the inside and seam-sealed, and are 100% waterproof, as per the label. The waist is higher at the back than summat you'd wear for tramping or whatever, and they slip on over boots and leathers OK. Fasteners at the bottom are the finishing touch.
Oh - and they weren't overly expensive: $49, from memory, which compares well with the crappy $100 one-piece I bought, and is better than the cheap two-piece lurid purple and green suit I bought from Doyles in Hamikltron some years ago. The zip of the jacket blew out twice, it was hard to get over leathers, and the jacket flapped around terribly in the wind.

Just shop around!

PrincessBandit
5th April 2008, 16:09
1. Go to a camping/outdoors store, rather than to a motorcycle clothing outlet.

2. Buy a parka/leggings made of waterproof/breathable fabric. There are a couple of manufacturers to choose from. Timberland is the best I have found.

An added benefit from this type of clothing is that they are also designed to pack down really small, which makes them ideal for motorcyclists.

I did that initially - Kathmandu gear. Did keep me really dry even in torrential pissing down rain, but had to be really rugged up underneath it as it offered no protection against loss of body heat. Always wear my RJays now, been toasty warm even with the lining from the jacket and pants removed.

zeocen
5th April 2008, 16:12
Do you mean the Rjays oversuit? I'm looking at that one, if it's tried and tested in the heavy rain then I may buy it !

PrincessBandit
5th April 2008, 16:29
Uh, not sure what an over suit is (showing my ignorance). I just have jacket and pants which I wear over my usual clothing. Although I have been known to just wear thermal top and leggings under the jacket and pants and still be completely dry and warm in shitty weather. Does that help?

BIGBOSSMAN
6th April 2008, 09:26
I have a Dririder one piece, absolutely brilliant, does what I need it to, keep out the wet and the wind chill.

Agree 100% with you re the Dririder Maha, it's been terrific even during the odd cloudburst - completely dry! From memory mine set me back $135 or so, but well worth it. Also bought from Cycletreads :)

Qkchk
6th April 2008, 09:47
Try your local NZ Safety / Protector (Wesfarmers) shops. They sell heaps of wet-weather gear at good prices (specially if you are in the industry). If people have to work outside in the shittiest weather - it has to be quality gear...and not all of it is in Hi-Vis.

www.nzsafety.co.nz

Eg: Waterproof Breathable pants for $97 (and you can get them in Navy)

Hinny
6th April 2008, 11:20
I think oilskin is the best material for wet weather gear. Best wet weather jacket I've had was an oilskin Anorak that folded up into it's front pocket. Only a short front zip with a gusset behind it and a pocket across the front cut the wind and water ingress points. Used to ride it with the hood up under my helmet so no water down the back of the neck. Had it as a student in Dunedin, riding through the rain, snow etc. no problem. AJ Hacket (AJ Wear) did some oilskin ski gear that was brilliant. Didn't leak as soon as it got dirty like Goretex etc. and didn't seem to sweat as much either.

NinjaNanna
6th April 2008, 11:25
2 piece all the way, first time you ride in the rain and stop somewhere for lunch you'll know why.

Hitcher
6th April 2008, 14:24
I did that initially - Kathmandu gear. Did keep me really dry even in torrential pissing down rain, but had to be really rugged up underneath it as it offered no protection against loss of body heat. Always wear my RJays now, been toasty warm even with the lining from the jacket and pants removed.

You misunderstand. I wear these over non-waterproof motorcycle clothing.

In winter, or at times when being caught in the wet and cold is largely inevitable, I wear my Teknics Gore-Tex jacket and Spidi H2Out trousers. My Oxtar Gore-Tex-lined boots I wear all the time. Gloves? Arrangements too complex to document.

Warr
6th April 2008, 14:32
I've had several two-piece suits and one one-piece. While the one-piece was 100% waterproof, it was also 100% discomfort: it didn't breathe, had no vents, and so if there was even the faintest glimmer of solar radiation through the clouds, I got broiled. It was also hard to get on and off, despite buying the largest size available, and it having a zip right down one side. Never again.
Two piece is much better.
Exactly what he said.

Over my leathers I now have some oil-skin over trou, available from RD1
and a top quality yellow(of course!) Line 7 raincoat.
Both work very well. What didnt work well was the Rain-off over gloves.
Too much water flowed down the arms and at next stop my hands and gloves were swimming :(
So that may be their last wet outing !!

zeocen
14th April 2008, 22:31
Just tested my recently purchased DriRider one piece oversuit tonight, in the dark with medium rain and I was bone dry to my destination. Discomfort? I felt secure as hell! Not hot at all and the cotton collar was very comfortable, a bit clunky to get on but very easy to get off. I was going to get the winter lining for my summer jacket for $99 and this whole suit was $99. There was minimal flapping (VERY windy out) and all in all I'm happy as larry in it!

$99 from Cycletreads, can't go wrong.

Grub
14th April 2008, 22:54
What didnt work well was the Rain-off over gloves.
Too much water flowed down the arms and at next stop my hands and gloves were swimming !!

You're supposed to wear your jacket out over the gloves in rain - all gloves will give you that result when worn outside the jacket.

Some isn't: I am really pleased with my Motoline pants, and would've bought the matching jacket, had I needed it.

Was looking at the Motoline gear again in ANZA on Sunday - good stuff. Nasty already has the jacket but she hasn't had a chance to use it in anger yet but the quality appears excellent and the price is outstanding. The overpants are only $45 and the jacket $95

Pussy
15th April 2008, 08:01
I've got a Motoline one piece suit I wear over my leathers... it is 100% waterproof

cruza
20th April 2008, 19:38
I've got a Motoline one piece suit I wear over my leathers... it is 100% waterproof

Same here, gone back to leathers and carry onepiece $100 suit. takes up stuff all space and you stay as dry as is possible on a bike. Rains stops, you take it off and don't have to wear damp gear, great for multi day rides.

cruza
20th April 2008, 19:43
that being said my partner(pillion) used to use bib leggings & jacket , techoflex stuff, it stretchs and moves unlike pvc and really comfy, use the same stuff at work, where we wear it all day same times , a little dearer but if its going to be a 2 piece well worth having a look at.

homer
20th April 2008, 20:17
yep i agree with the techniflex stuff , you stay dry , about 200 for the jacket and the pants .

heres the next point i want to actually ask
my dri riders jacket and pants , with alll the padding etc
today i find the waterproof lining inside the jacket has ripped and now you get wind come thru .
has anyone else found this .
it was all waterproof , but guess if i feel a little wind guess ill feel water as well .
to make it worse my part just got her jacket the same as mine , so its a bit of a piss off .

other wise the dririders are wicked.

Hawkeye
21st April 2008, 02:25
Agree 100% with you re the Dririder Maha, it's been terrific even during the odd cloudburst - completely dry! From memory mine set me back $135 or so, but well worth it. Also bought from Cycletreads :)

And yet another vote for the Dririder. I've got the Dririder Hurricane which is brilliant. I've been in some crap weather and never got wet. Very easy to put on and take off. Full length zip from thigh to neck with double velcro seals.
It rolls up and fits into a large bum bag so is not too bulky.

bert_is_evil
21st April 2008, 13:36
Where did you buy it Hawkeye? I want to get one but getting up before noon on a Saturday to do the rounds of the mc stores is proving to be a struggle I can't conquer.

Swoop
22nd April 2008, 15:45
Uh, not sure what an over suit is (showing my ignorance).
One of these (http://www.bikesport.co.nz/index.php?cPath=466_348_395_405&osCsid=b436a5504f28e6288dcb41a14c3aa88f).
Bottom of the page.

imdying
22nd April 2008, 15:49
I brought the $50 top and bottom from the Warehouse in 06. As hard as it rained on the way to and from Nelson, this stuff just laughed at it. Still have them, and they're fanfastic for keeping you warm as the wind just can't get in. After that experience, there's no way I'll bother with any motorcycle specific gear, this just can't be beat!

vifferman
22nd April 2008, 15:55
And yet another vote for the Dririder. I've got the Dririder Hurricane which is brilliant.
Hmmmm....
I had one of those - worst thing I've ever worn on a bike. Yes, it was 100% waterproof, but by dint of it sealing you inside against the elements (and elephants?). Probably OK at night (if it was cool), but if there was the slightest bit of solar radiation, it was like being a "boil in the bag chicken", and VERY uncomfortable.
From memory, I wore mine maybe three times, then sold it to another chicken.:shifty:

Quasievil
22nd April 2008, 16:31
Ive got a couple of one piece rain suits for $60 each plus courier if anyone is interested, good as anything spec and has all the typical features.
Im getting out of one piece rain suits heance the cheap price
xxl and a xl size
pm me if interested

carver
22nd April 2008, 17:41
Winter is almost here.

dririder suck...anything with a big name brand, knock offs tend to suck

onearmedbandit
22nd April 2008, 20:30
I brought the $50 top and bottom from the Warehouse in 06. As hard as it rained on the way to and from Nelson, this stuff just laughed at it. Still have them, and they're fanfastic for keeping you warm as the wind just can't get in. After that experience, there's no way I'll bother with any motorcycle specific gear, this just can't be beat!

+2. Awesome gear.

MaxB
22nd April 2008, 23:16
I'm shall we say, a little bigger than your average rider so i'm thinking that I might have an over jacket.. erm.. jacket made. Anyone got any ideas of where a bloke might be able to go to get this sorted? I've got one possibility thanks to Chanceyy but options would be good.

Dririder make oversized clothes for most of their range. I'm sure others do. You have to ask at the counter but a good bike shop will get therm in for you to try. I know heaps of riders with Dririder gear at 4,5 and 6XL sizes. I don't know about the cheaper stuff, these are the Nordic and Summit jackets.

NZsarge
23rd April 2008, 07:31
Dririder make oversized clothes for most of their range. I'm sure others do. You have to ask at the counter but a good bike shop will get therm in for you to try. I know heaps of riders with Dririder gear at 4,5 and 6XL sizes. I don't know about the cheaper stuff, these are the Nordic and Summit jackets.

DriRider actually go up to 8XL in some of their gear but I want something that'll go over my leather jacket. I had a thought, i'm not sure but if I could get the waterproof and thermal liners (8XL) on their own without having to buy the hole kit that might fit over my leather jacket maybe....:scratch:

imdying
23rd April 2008, 07:43
+2. Awesome gear.I can't believe the value for money we're getting out of that gear... shame we weren't wearing them when we went down the Colingwood for dinner :rofl:

Biggles2000
28th April 2008, 09:43
I have a dririder 2 piece suit for 2-3 years, so far it has been 100%. From memory it was about $120. It’s just a simple rubberized fabric unlined over suit. It is nice and comfortable to wear as the fabric has a bit of give in it. The jacket has lots of pockets and the pants dome tighten around the tops of my boots. It is a bit on the bulky side which is the only negative and it does live in the button of my saddle bags all the time.
I had a low cost 1 piece PVC suit but it was rubbish, it leaked and was sweaty.

Hailwood
30th April 2008, 08:54
I used to have a spool one piece. Although it was mostly waterproof I did find rain getting in around the neck...also a pain to put on and off..have switched to a Revit 2 piece and have no complaints at all..

Rode in heavy rain with no problems at all..folds down really small and is so much easier to put on and take off..

Go with the 2 piece.

scumdog
30th April 2008, 09:00

+3:2thumbsup

Just in case I hadn't already said it.

Plus if you damage part of it (zorst on pants?) you only have to buy a new bit that you damaged, not the whole kit-kaboodle.

Big Dave
30th April 2008, 11:03
I use a 2 piece - $60 plastic jacket and $29 pants - from the motomail outlet store - over leathers for wet weather.

alanzs
1st May 2008, 14:36
I have an Aerostich two piece suit that I have worn in TORRENTIAL downpours, rode many hours in the rain, etc., and I have stayed totally dry. It wasn't cheap, but it was made for motorcycle touring/riding. It has pockets in all the right places, padding where I need it, etc.; a top quality piece of riding gear. Mine is the Hi Viz Bright (SCREAMING) yellow. I want to be seen in all conditions. It is big and bulky, but very comfortable.
I have about 3 different suits I have tried over the years, and this one is the best. I went for the two piece, because sometimes I just want to wear the jacket and I wasn't sure if the sizing would work and it does.

Matt
1st May 2008, 15:19
I recently bought an Alpinestars El Nino rainsuit and it's great - wasn't the cheapest but it's dead easy to put on & fits well. 100% waterproof and seems to be a good compromise between the lighter/unlined stuff and the more bulky suits - comes with it's own bum bag too :)

Matt