PDA

View Full Version : Ninjaboy’s PMCC Round 3 ‘08

NinjaBoy
1st April 2008, 22:47
After a wet round 2 and some new comers into the Clubman’s class, the series placings were far from decided. Heading into the final round I was placed 2nd in the points with 14 points to the points leader and 3rd place only 10 points behind. Round 3 was going to be hotly contested.

Spent Saturday at the Kiwi Trackday’s Rider Training day getting familiar with the bike again with the newly fitted goodies and some invaluable setup from Robert Taylor. By the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable with the bike and the track.

Sunday morning dawned with a cloudy but dry day. Although I was prepared for a wet track it would be my first time on wets so I was quietly hoping it would stay dry. After a lot of indecision, Leong decided he would at least go out in practice despite the fork issues he was having.

Rider’s briefing came around quickly with the announcement of 2 x 8 lap races of the full A1GP circuit.

Practice: It was a bit cooler than the day before but the track was dry and grippy. I followed Frederick (3rd in the series) around most of the session before taking the lead for the remaining couple of laps.

Race 1: Grid positions were based on series points position so Brent was on pole, me in 2nd and Frederick on my right. Remembering the tips from the day before I get a good jump off the line but obviously brake too early and 4 bikes go round the outside and I’m 5th out of turn 1. Frederick on his R1 is leading, Ian on his SV650, Paul on a 636 and another R1. Not panicking yet as I have 7 laps to go but I hang onto the back of the group for the first lap.
Then down the back straight of the 1st lap I out-brake Paul and the R1 to move into 3rd place. I quickly latch onto the end of Ian’s SV650 and Frederick on his R1. I didn’t recognise Ian’s bike at the time but he was riding the wheels off the SV. After a couple of corners of near horizontal lean and metal sparks flying everywhere, I thought to myself it was only going to be a matter of time before the silver SV would be off. Sure enough into turn 4 the SV slid off the track and I was in 2nd.

The chase was on to catch and stay with Frederick’s R1. Knowing I would be outgunned down the back straight I stayed close to his tail through the infield. I was getting better corner entry speed but didn’t have the power to pass on exits. I came side by side in the usual places but ran out ‘guts’ to push through on the inside. This went on for the remaining 6 laps with Frederick sneaking peeks every lap to see me close behind. Frederick rode a close defensive race, helped by Rusty with his ‘hand signals’ on the pit wall in turn 1 and deserved the race win. I came in 2nd.

Race 2: Brent the series leader finished 6th with engine problems. By now he was nervously working out the points positions needed stay in the lead. His points lead had been cut to 7 points and Frederick was only 7 points behind me in 2nd.
Waiting to the last possible moment I form up on the dummy grid and do the warm-up lap to the start lap. The green flag drops and I get an average launch. I brake later for turn 1 but still come out 4th. Paul (his first ever race) is leading, Frederick and Leong (obviously someone else was paying him more to upset the results!).

With a bit more urgency I push past Leong on turn 4 to move up to 3rd. The next few laps become a bit of a blur but in no particular order:
Frederick takes the lead from Paul
Leong passes me into 3rd and then Paul into 2nd
Paul is proving difficult to pass but I manage to out-brake him into turn 1, almost banging fairings.
Leong takes the lead from Frederick for a lap
I finally get past Frederick in turn 9 only to succumb to the horsepower advantage down the back straight
Frederick takes the lead back from Leong

Race ends with another win to Frederick, Leong 2nd and a 3rd for me. Brent finishes 6th.

Series result. 1st Brent, 2nd me and 3rd Frederick

I’d like to thank the other competitors for such good close racing, Nicki, Frenchy and Leong for letting me share a garage and your support during the series.

FROSTY
1st April 2008, 22:56
Havent you come a long way from the boy that loaned me his cibby600 cos he knew he couldn't ride it hard enough?
Bloody great result dude :devil2:

SlowHand
2nd April 2008, 01:24
I finally get past Frederick in turn 9 only to succumb to the horsepower advantage down the back straight

Come see me for that power upgrade we were talking about.

rustys
2nd April 2008, 07:08
Awsome write up Gah, and that was one hell of a day out there. Shure we were doing the maths to, and when Leong got into that second place postion we new you would be pissed off, (was'nt us that paid him ). With two points seperating all you three riders congratulations to you all. Freddy was stoked with the raceing scene, so you will definatley see more of him. Catch up with you at the Vic series, and next PMCC.
Cheers.

Tony.OK
2nd April 2008, 07:41
Exc racing Gah,I really enjoyed the battle between the 1st four bikes.
Catch you at the Vic series:2thumbsup

Nicksta
2nd April 2008, 09:02
awesome stuff dude!!

was very cool having you in our pits for the series :)
well done and cant wait to see you out there in the winter series!

ArcherWC
2nd April 2008, 10:49
Well done Gar, looks like you finally figured out what that twisty thing at the end of the bars is for :-)

Toast
2nd April 2008, 15:28
Good stuff, Gah! The breakdown of the second race is enough to get one's pulse racing at the office.
Hopefully we'll see you at the Winter Series this year. Since you've podium'd in Clubmans you'll have to do F1/F2 ;)

slowpoke
2nd April 2008, 16:01
Haha, so it was YOU!
I had to settle for admiring your arse in both races, after a couple of extremely crap starts on my part left me too much work to do......aaaargh even an average "traffic light launch" would have seen me enjoying much more fun with you blokes......maybe next time.
Great effort on the day mate, you rode really well on the wee six hundy.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
2nd April 2008, 17:32
good shiite dude!

Big Chim
2nd April 2008, 20:39
Nice one Gah!!! It was great to meet you in the pits. Catch ya at the next race day

Dave

NinjaBoy
2nd April 2008, 23:06
Thanks for all your comments of support guys and gals. Definitely planning on doing the Vic series as I know the competition will be just as hot.

Havent you come a long way from the boy that loaned me his cibby600 cos he knew he couldn't ride it hard enough?
Bloody great result dude :devil2:

Dude...I had just about forgotten about that. You put some wicked feathered edges on my tyres but I can quite confidently do that myself now.

Awsome write up Gah, and that was one hell of a day out there. Shure we were doing the maths to, and when Leong got into that second place postion we new you would be pissed off, (was'nt us that paid him ). With two points seperating all you three riders congratulations to you all. Freddy was stoked with the raceing scene, so you will definatley see more of him. Catch up with you at the Vic series, and next PMCC.
Cheers.

Definitely looking forward to dicing with Freddy again... need to perfect my R1 hunting technique !

svr
8th April 2008, 19:06
Was some fierce dicing out there in clubbies - thanks for putting on a good show - pleased Ian on the sv was your problem (albeit temporary) and not mine!

Clubman
16th April 2008, 20:53
Hi Gah

Great Racing with you over the Summer . We had some good Battles - You certainly have improved since the first round . The second round showed we both don't like racing in the Rain & that last round was to close for comfort .
My days in Clubmans are over with new bike on the way - Hope to see you in the Vic Series .

Regards Brent

vtec
17th April 2008, 11:08
Awesome man, you Leong and Ian are getting hardcore. haha, I hope Ian was OK. My parents have been telling me what a nutter he is on the track. If I come back I'll get an SV too so I can go hard with the crazy guys.

NinjaBoy
17th April 2008, 20:13
Hi Gah

Great Racing with you over the Summer . We had some good Battles - You certainly have improved since the first round . The second round showed we both don't like racing in the Rain & that last round was to close for comfort .
My days in Clubmans are over with new bike on the way - Hope to see you in the Vic Series .

Regards Brent

Same goes here Brent. I really enjoyed the buzz of such close racing and although I knew it would all come down to the last round, I didn't expect the added drama/excitment it would bring. Thanks providing some entertaining and close racing. Looking forward to the Vic series !! I may join you in F2.