PDA

View Full Version : Bike security

Tank
2nd April 2008, 14:17
I did a bit of a search, but thought I would start another thread:
a) Because of the recent round of thefts (bastards)
b) Because the security products may have changed of late
c) Because I'm heading away and want to come back with my bike

I'm heading away for a 4 day ride, meaning that the bike will be left outside hotels overnight etc (out the back wherever possible).

This fills me with dread (sad isn't it when you have to worry about shit like this)

SO .. what do people here recommend as tried and true security measures for when travelling.

It must be something that is portable, quick to get on and off (with a key), and most importantly protect as much as possible my bike.

Any recommendations on what NOT to invest in will also be appreciated.

-Tank

Waxxa
2nd April 2008, 14:25
Hey Tank. I,ve got myself a lock (cant remember its brand-name) that fits over the throttle/brake lever. Easy to get on and off, visible and will fit under your seat for transportation.

Next step would be an alarm/immobiliser.

Disco Dan
2nd April 2008, 14:27
Pretty much any sort of security measures can be gotten around. More so if it is small enough to be portable.

I am in the process of fitting a recorded video surveillance system for my bike parking area. This in addition to my existing ground anchor going into solid concrete and a chain so big and heavy it get left attached to the concrete. The chain has also been given a sheath of 'anti hack saw' stuff.

Get yourself a large pair of bolt cutters, and test your own measures - in a motel/hotel situation your most likely to be very close to your bike so things like anglegrinders will wake you - but bolt cutters are pretty much silent.

Pretty much anything that makes a noise is bad for the scum - either the tools they need make a noise or your bike makes a noise when touched.

The more noise the better - and the thicker the steel the better ;)

nodrog
2nd April 2008, 14:31
.. what do people here recommend ..

insurance.

Disco Dan
2nd April 2008, 14:35
insurance.

Does not always cover you.

For example - you bike is financed and then stolen, the insurance would not cover the full cost of the finance (interest, depreciation etc) and leaves you a few grand to pay the finance co and no bike. ...yeah insurance works pfft.

Str8 Jacket
2nd April 2008, 14:43
Im getting a new bucket bike tonight and I dont have a garage or shed or anywhere to lock them up. Its gonna live in the lounge with koba's pitbike, both of them are easily "stealable" (new word Hitch) so this is really the only way that I can think of making them "safer". Amazingly the A100 of mine lives outside and has not been stolen (touch wood!) I reckon its because it looks like an ethiopian vege cart and is very undesireable.

Disco Dan
2nd April 2008, 14:44
I look at bike security like this:

Thieves will do one of two things:

They will attempt to ride it away
They will attempt to transport it away in/on another vehicle
They will attempt to remove a specific component from it ie pipes

The first - most likely a joy-rider and/or opportunist - this would give us the advantage and make things like disc locks, immobilizers etc worth their money.

The second - These people will be pretty prepared and have 'cased' out the area and brought with them the right tools to do the job. Unless your bike is actually attached to something solid, the whole thing will just be lifted into the back of a van. An alarm going off inside a van is no big deal for them, those fancy disc locks can be removed at their will later, a chain around the wheel can also be removed later - none of these things will prevent the bike being lifted into the van.

The Third - I do not think this one is very common but a disc lock wont stop your expensive pipes from going walkies.

Tank
2nd April 2008, 14:45
Im getting a new bucket bike tonight and I dont have a garage or shed or anywhere to lock them up. Its gonna live in the lounge with another bike.

You're single right?

Str8 Jacket
2nd April 2008, 14:48
You're single right?

No. My man's pitbike lives in the lounge which I would make him move for my new bucket but that would be kind of mean seeing as he pays half the rent. We need a new flat with a garage, we have 7 bikes between us!

nodrog
2nd April 2008, 14:48
Does not always cover you.

For example - you bike is financed and then stolen, the insurance would not cover the full cost of the finance (interest, depreciation etc) and leaves you a few grand to pay the finance co and no bike. ...yeah insurance works pfft.

thats why you get agreed value insurance, making sure you list all the extra bits like exhaust etc. and when you pay finance off early you usually do not have to pay the full amount of interest for the full term, unless you got some dodgy loan shark.

using a motorcycle specific insurance company helps.

the only thing i would take with me is a disk lock, anything else will just be too much of a pain in the arse to carry, if they want it they will take it.

i toured the south island for 2 weeks, staying in all sorts of dodgy places, never had any issue, and if you ask nicely, most places will let you chuck your bike in their shed, shit one place we stayed they let us park in our rooms.

Disco Dan
2nd April 2008, 14:50
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VC3hFr8p2ck&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VC3hFr8p2ck&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-zy8sEj8etU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-zy8sEj8etU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQSk4O5cgfs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQSk4O5cgfs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D96QM-lzLM8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D96QM-lzLM8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Tank
2nd April 2008, 15:00
No. My man's pitbike lives in the lounge which I would make him move for my new bucket but that would be kind of mean seeing as he pays half the rent. We need a new flat with a garage, we have 7 bikes between us!

:love::love::love:

<10char>

Disco Dan
2nd April 2008, 15:01
Pretty scary stuff...

It's that easy.

woodboats
2nd April 2008, 15:14
My wife and I take a chain and lock to lock both bikes together.
Best thing is a cover to keep prying eyes from your bike and parts.

Str8 Jacket
2nd April 2008, 15:16

Giggidy!! Well, if your bikes are into that kind of thing...... :whistle:

Disco Dan
2nd April 2008, 15:22
Bike Theft - The Facts;

• Only 26% of stolen bikes are recovered with the majority having suffered major damage.
• 50% of riders don't lock their bike.
• 80% of stolen bikes are taken from the owners home.
• 60% of bikes stolen are broken-up for parts.
• The theft rate is twice that of cars.
• The professional can steal your bike in as little as 15 seconds, even with a lock.

Squiggles
2nd April 2008, 15:25
left outside hotels

Whada Rich guy! When i go away i end up in tents with the bike parked next to them, kinda hard to get away with it if you're a light sleeper

Disco Dan
2nd April 2008, 15:27
Motorcycle Security Guide (http://www.insuremyvehicle.co.uk/motorbike-insurance/motorbike_security_guide.asp)

Motor cycles are easy targets for professional and opportunistic thieves alike. They can be wheeled away or bundled into a van in seconds. The crime figures speak for themselves.

Even though motorbikes are harder to protect than other vehicles, the following advice and devices can make all the difference.

If you park your bike in public whilst out, park it in the busiest public place possible.
If you have a daily routine, try to vary your parking place.
When available, always use purpose built motorcycle areas (i.e. with fixed parking stands or other ground anchors).
Use an engraving kit or a security marker pen to mark your motorcycle with identifying details (vehicle ID code, number plate or your postcode).
Don’t leave your keys in an easy to find place, this is becoming a popular way to steal motorbikes and cars.
Things to consider whilst parking, locking and storing your bike:

Always engage the steering lock.
Don’t just put the chain though the wheel. Wherever possible, attach the motorcycle to an immovable object or another motorcycle, using high-tension steel cable and a high quality padlock, or a U-lock through the rear wheel or frame.
Don’t leave possessions (crash helmet etc) with the motorcycle or in pannier bags.
When choosing security devices, c onsider purchasing those ‘gold’ rated by www.soldsecure.com. Sold Secure do not make or sell anything, they test and grade them independently.
Try not to leave your garage open and make sure you machine is covered, even when you at home. M ore and more thieves are stealing bikes to order, so a motorbike spotted today may be stolen tomorrow.
You could also consider getting an additional chain and lock for places you visit regularly (work, friends etc) and just leave it outside so you don’t have to carry it around.

Putting your car in front of the garage can be a deterrent for an opportunist thief. The problem is that a determined thief will find a way to get in and out that could cause more damage to your garage door and car, as well as the loss of your bike. This technique is a calculated risk.

Motorcycle Security Devices

This is a list of measures that will reduce the chances of having your bike stolen.

It is worth investing in good security devices as in the event of a theft, the cost of your possible insurance excess, loss of no claims bonus and general expenses whilst you are without a bike will more than match the cost of some of the items below:

Ground Anchor - Don't position it in the middle of the garage. If placed in a corner or along one side, a thief has less space to work around your bike with an angle grinder or other tools.

Garage Alarm – If installing a motion sensitive garage alarm, you should station the sensor and alarm unit at the far end of the garage. This will give a thief less time to disable it.

Alternatively you could fit an alarm to the light switch. This can be set to go off if the light is turned on during the hours you’re normally in bed. This is not a large job for an electrician, can be wired to the mains and needs little maintenance once installed.

Garage Lock - Use a lock like the Garage Defender. This should be fitted to the middle of the door to prevent the corner being forced.

Bike alarm - Alarms are not always the cure-all they are sold as. If nobody hears it, it is pointless. Even if someone does hear it, they are often ignored. Either social embarrassment, in case it is a false alarm, or fear of getting involved with a potentially violent thief usually stop people responding properly.

Two types of alarms worth considering are paging alarms, as you are more sure of responding than strangers on the street or talking alarms as people tend to respond better to a human voice than an anonymous siren.

Disc/U-Lock - Disc locks are only useful for stopping an opportunist thief from pushing your bike away. An organised thief with a van is just going to pick the bike up and load it in.

Long shackle "U" locks are effective if you buy a good quality one. Remember to lock the bike to something however.

Lock your U-lock to an immoveable object or ideally fit through the rear wheel and over the swingarm, use as well as a disc lock. Fit a disc lock snugly to the calliper.

Tagging devices – Micro-Tag and other companies offer a range of ways to tag your motorcycle. Some apply a microdot to your bike so the police can identify the owner. Others etch a code on your bike's panels makes it harder for a thief to sell on. A police scanner can find and read transponders in the petrol tank and wheels.

Brake lever lock - A very portable security device that acts as a good supplement to more robust measures. It locks the front brake lever fully on to avoid a bike being quickly rolled away.

Kill Switch - Fit a kill switch after purchase, so the thief doesn’t know where it is positioned.

Neighbours – If your neighbours don’t know who you are, they’ll never be sure who is a thief and who is the property owner.

Join, or even start, a neighbourhood watch scheme.

Routine - If possible, avoid parking your bike in the same place every day. Organised bike gangs will note any bikes that they can predict the location of on the day they are active.

Guard dog – It’s not a good idea to get a Doberman if you know you’re not a doggy person. If you are choosing a dog, however, it wouldn’t hurt to choose a breed that is known to be sensitive to strangers and that makes a noise to raise the alarm. Put up signs to warn of the dog and you may just deter a thief before he begins.

Having a killer dog on the premises however, is more likely to get you into trouble than anything else.

CCTV - If you can’t afford your own CCTV to watch over your motorbike, buy a fake camera. These are a useful preventative measure.

Spare Parts - If you buy 2 nd hand parts for your bike, make sure you are dealing with a reputable breaker. Firstly, if you end up buying parts that came from a stolen bike, you are helping to prove the trade in stolen parts is profitable. It’s not a good idea to boost this trade as sooner or later they may get round to your bike. Secondly, there are some criminally minded breakers who, if your bike parts are in demand, will pass your details onto a thief.

Police - Ask their advice. They will have experience of dealing with the people and problems that you are trying to avoid.

Disco Dan
2nd April 2008, 15:30
Those of you wanting camera systems:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/47f2fd1f0f0d5eba273fc0a87f3b06ec/Product/View/L5863

Squiggles
2nd April 2008, 15:40
Wouldnt the best one be to have the cctv cam clearly viewable, and wire a sensor (like those used for alarms) to the lights, as well as the alarm... someone goes for the steal -> Lots of noise + Light + Better quality footage

Thats only for home though,
Away, alarms? Locks (disk/brak lever, if Disk make sure you get the bungy cord or leave a sticker so you dont ride off with it on), and wire cables are good, lots of wire cables, they're a bitch to cut by comparison to solid locks with usually take under 30sec to lop through

Tank
2nd April 2008, 15:41
Whada Rich guy! When i go away i end up in tents with the bike parked next to them, kinda hard to get away with it if you're a light sleeper

pppfft not rich. In summer (only summer because Im soft) Id camp, but this particular trip is an organised ride, thus we are simply staying at the same place as everyone else.

YellowDog
2nd April 2008, 15:58
I have a new bike arriving in 3 weeks and I have already bought myself a paging alarm. The remote control goes off when the alarm goes off. So if I am out, I will know if the bike has been rocked or moved or started. I can also activate a cut out from the remote control if someone manages to by pass the stadard immobilser, plus manually set off the Alarm from upto 300m away.

I will do all of the other stuff also however for me the biggest benefit is that if someone breaks into my garage and the house alarm does not sound, or I am at a friend's house and out of sight; my alarm remote will page me in the event of a problem.

Disco Dan
2nd April 2008, 16:00
Wouldnt the best one be to have the cctv cam clearly viewable, and wire a sensor (like those used for alarms) to the lights, as well as the alarm... someone goes for the steal -> Lots of noise + Light + Better quality footage

Thats only for home though,
Away, alarms? Locks (disk/brak lever, if Disk make sure you get the bungy cord or leave a sticker so you dont ride off with it on), and wire cables are good, lots of wire cables, they're a bitch to cut by comparison to solid locks with usually take under 30sec to lop through

You mean like this? :whistle:

'uther uckers' think they can nick my stuff now.... :headbang:

Hitcher
2nd April 2008, 16:27
Don't buy a Harley or something so small that it can be picked up and carried away.

Always park next to a bike that is 5% more attractive and 3% easier to knick off with than yours.

HungusMaximist
2nd April 2008, 17:52
This is mentioned before but one of the best things you can do, which I always do, is park the bike in a place where it's nearly impossible for a van.

Since getting my Canadian 929 (it's got no HONDA HISS), I always carry a disc lock and a 2 inch cable lock.

At the moment I am saving up for a alarm of some sort.

madbikeboy
3rd April 2008, 11:37
This shit gives me the screaming shits. This is mostly fucked because it's likely the person stealing your bike is a biker as well (stands to reason right?), and the parts have to end up someone (other bikers).

So, don't buy parts unless you're sure of where they came from.

My house got ripped off about 2 years ago, I lost just about everything of value - I haven't bothered replacing most of it because the insurance company paid out very little (and it took them months). Why work hard to buy stuff when someone can rip it off?

Now the house has a monitor alarm, and the alarm company arrives within 3 minutes (their base is just up the road, hence the company selection).

Scumbags.

scumdog
3rd April 2008, 11:42
Best thing is a cover to keep prying eyes from your bike and parts.

Yup, out of sight - out of mind.

Cover it, hide it,- just get it out of sight.

The Stranger
3rd April 2008, 11:51
Hey Tank. I,ve got myself a lock (cant remember its brand-name) that fits over the throttle/brake lever.

In what way does this hinder or deter a bike thief?

vifferman
3rd April 2008, 11:59
I'm heading away for a 4 day ride, meaning that the bike will be left outside hotels overnight etc (out the back wherever possible).
It must be something that is portable, quick to get on and off (with a key), and most importantly protect as much as possible my bike.
Sounds like a Xena disklock/alarm would be the go then.
I'm thinking of getting one myself, with the money I save from changing insurers. The bike lives in an alarmed gargre when I'm at home, but isn't safe at work or elsewhere. I thought about getting an alarm, but I've heard too many tales of woe about electrical problems resulting from the alarm playing up.

scumdog
3rd April 2008, 11:59
In what way does this hinder or deter a bike thief?

I guess it clamps the front brake on (the ones I've seen do) and stops the throttle being used.
Stops the hot-wire theft and also helps prevent the 'spur-of-the-moment' theft by somebody that would otherwise wheel it away.

Of course a knife through the brake hose gets around that problem - but hey, we're not talking about rocket scientists here.

The Stranger
3rd April 2008, 12:02
A bloody loud alarm disk lock would be my suggestion.
Small, portable, reasonably difficult to remove with common tools and makes a hell of a noise if someone tries to move (say drag or pick up) the bike with it on.

Parking it out of sight is, as previously mentioned, quite effective and most proprieters etc are happy to help out there. That said I don't like relying upon security by obscurity

You may also be able to fit a fairly heavy cable lock under the seat.

vifferman
3rd April 2008, 12:06
I guess it [a brake lever lock] clamps the front brake on (the ones I've seen do) and stops the throttle being used.
Stops the hot-wire theft and also helps prevent the 'spur-of-the-moment' theft by somebody that would otherwise wheel it away.

Of course a knife through the brake hose gets around that problem - but hey, we're not talking about rocket scientists here.
That highlights summat: when most of us think about security, we don't think like a real crim would. F'rinstance: we think our house is safe if it's all locked up, when in reality a crim has no compunction about breaking a window or door to get inside. Or about setting an alarm off, if he knows he can be in and out in less than the time it will take for the neighbours to investigate.

mudthug
3rd April 2008, 13:20
Cover the bike "outta sight outta mind"

try hidden switches in the ignition or main circuit that stop the bike from starting, or a hidden fuel cut off.

loosen spark plug caps , shut off the gas, stick a plug in the air cleaner

use two or three locks of different designs, so different tools are needed.

take the shift lever off.

use your imagination :rolleyes:

But unfortunately if they really want it , they will take it......

Disco Dan
3rd April 2008, 13:32
The 'joined at the hip' method will be the best.

Always park it in line of sight to you.

I used to ride over grass on my ol suzi over paths and around swimming pools just to park outside my office window. That used to work well, the window above it was just the right height that when opened fast would give a direct hit to the head of the odd 'client' jumping on it.

You can get those 'paging' alarms that send a signal to your keyring and makes it beep and vibrate when someone touches your bike.. but they only have a short range - and not very good through buildings!! I had one on a car once. Had about a 3k line of sight range but walk into a building and it was only a couple hunudred meters. ...you kind of feel like a prat when it goes off in the movie theatre, you leg it outside to find some twat boi-racer has just driven past and set the smegger off.

Insanity_rules
3rd April 2008, 14:33
I have a kill switch and an f&*k off oxford lock. That'll at least slow em down. I still think bike thieves should be executed after a long and involved torture session with a red hot tablespoon.

TimeOut
4th April 2008, 07:52
Locks only keep the honest crims out/away

I had an immobiliser alarm fitted to my bike from new fitted by the dealer (farthers day gift) After about 500km noticed a bad miss between 8-8500rpm
Dealer had no ideas had never had any problems before.
After much thought I unhooked the alarm (as it was the only extra on the bike) miss instantly gone.

I still have the alarm on the bike but have put a switch under the seat and only activate when needed. Which is on trips so I'm always close enough to here it.

Str8 Jacket
4th April 2008, 07:53
Locks only keep the honest crims out/away

Sorry, what? :confused:

YellowDog
4th April 2008, 07:57
"The 'joined at the hip' method will be the best."

If you don't ever get off, it won't get stolen. :banana:

PrincessBandit
4th April 2008, 20:44
... When i go away i end up in tents with the bike parked next to them, kinda hard to get away with it if you're a light sleeper

Especially if you chain the bike to the tent eh? [Imagine everyones surprise when the bike takes off and leaves with tent trailing behind it like a bloody great parachute].

FROSTY
4th April 2008, 20:50
im happy with ehe 9000 volt lekky fence thingee :devil2:

Conquiztador
4th April 2008, 22:09
As bikers, what do we want?

Something that will make the thief scared to steal the bike
Something that will make it impossible to steal the bike
Something that will hurt him if he steals the bike

So what would that be?

Something exploding. But then the bike will be damaged (even if the fucker dies...)
Something that cuts his dick off. (Tricky as he will have a small dick.)
Electrocution. But with a 12v system and a relatively small battery there are limitations. Sadly.

So think like a thief:

If I was to steal a bike I want to be quick, steal something that is worth something and that I can sell easily.

So from all this I come up with:
- Customise. Harder to sell
- Have a crappy bike...
- You won't be able to stop him, but make it take time. Park in akward spots, if in city then where the bike can be seen, use chain/wire, noisy alarm.

Oh, that reminds me: Is there anyone specialising in finding stolen bikes in NZ? Like a PI that knows what he is doing???

Ocean1
4th April 2008, 22:18
As bikers, what do we want?

Something that will make the thief scared to steal the bike
Something that will make it impossible to steal the bike
Something that will hurt him if he steals the bike

So what would that be?

Something involving 8,000 volts that goes tic, tic, tic... :)

Conquiztador
4th April 2008, 23:09
Something involving 8,000 volts that goes tic, tic, tic... :)

As I mentioned in an earlier thread re this: In another life I used prospects as security. Always worked. Perhaps that is the simple answer?

Mikkel
5th April 2008, 14:06
Well, if you made the penalty for stealing severe enough I'm sure that would go some way to reduce the risk of having anything stolen.

There's always a risk of getting caught.

However, as it stands with the bleeding hearts and PC bullshitters dealing out small hand-slaps it's not really much of a deterent is it?

I'd say force the thieves to pay back what they owe and then cut of a number of bits that they will miss.

A small thought - get a switch and a lean sensor coupled up with your horn. If your stebel goes off when they stand the bike up and keeps on howling until it has drained the battery that would be an inconveniance...