PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a Canadian. (Atmonauti)

Atmonauti
2nd April 2008, 22:01
Hey Folks,

Sorry to bother you all.

I found out about this site by asking a random biker at a gas station in Penrose.

I am on a few similar type sites back home in Eastern Canada:)

I have been traveling South East Asia for a few months and have been in Auckland for a few days. I plan to be in NZ for at least 9.5 months but have always dreamed about coming to NZ and I am feeling more and more like it will become a permanent move:)

The plan was to ship my bike (2003 Honda CBR600F4i) down here but after I removed my jaw from the floor I figured it would easier/cheaper to just buy second hand and after I get all my touring done and then buy the bike I would actually want long term. Or just give in and get my dream bike at home in storage sent here.

I have my camping gear/parachute and skydiving gear/ winter gear that I hope to fit all onto the back of bike to take the whole country in.

Finding work where I can, hopefully at skydiving dropzones, ski hills and bars.

Anyways, I'll stop blabbing.

I was only looking to spend 2k or less on a bike. And thought a dual street/trail might be the way to go to take in some beaches and some gravel roads if i wanted to.

I would probably need a pack rack on the back or install one.

After sort of exhausting all of what I see on Trade Me, Trade and Exchange, and Motorcycle Trader that already has pack racks.

I hope to find something possibly here. I am about 90 kg and ill have about 20-30kg of gear. So any ideas or suggestions on what would best suit me would be greatly appreciated :D

Sorry I was so long winded and I appreciate anyone's time that actually reads it :)

Thanks again!

Dan

fire eyes
3rd April 2008, 08:27
:hug: Kia Ora Dan .. Nau Mai Haere Mai ki te Kiwibikers hehehehe .. welcome welcome .. ohh don't apologise! no need for that! This is a great informative site with some equally great people that reside here, some dodgy characters amist to but I suspect they'r lovable at heart .. no doubt on your travels here you will find many a fellow companion so on that note welcome & enjoy your new adventures! :hug:

tri boy
3rd April 2008, 09:51
You may need to raise the $$ level a tad.
You should be able to get a Honda Dominator 650, or something similar for about $3500.
Anything below $2500, and it's either old as the hills, or ready to fall to bits. MHO.
Enjoy your stay.:sunny:

Ixion
3rd April 2008, 15:24
Howdy. Are you from Texas like our other Canadians ?

Atmonauti
3rd April 2008, 16:21
Heh. No I am actually from Canada. Halifax, Nova Scotia to be more precise :)

Thanks for the time to all that replied and viewed so far!

I am thinking more and more toward a 250 dual purpose sort of bike. I have never had a dirtbike but always wanted one. And figured it would be nice to have the option to hit the gravel and beaches if i wanted to.

I wonder though do you still get a decent enjoyable ride through twisties. as far as grip goes on those stubby tires. I wouldnt be able to give up the clean road turns on the coast and mountain passes that caused me to dream about NZ in the first place.

I am finding a few that are in the 2k - 3k range.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again so much!

Dan - The Non-texas Canadian. ;)

westie
3rd April 2008, 16:32
I've met a few people from canadia. They are great fun people those canadians.
Welcome

007XX
3rd April 2008, 16:41
Hi there Dan!

You're no bother at all, don't be silly!

A very warm welcome from the Crazy Cage of Wonders...It's always a pleasure to welcome a new member, and Canadians are particularly awesome in my book :D

Have fun around here, just don't take anything too seriously and you'll be fine.

If you need any help, just PM one of the people with their name highlighted like mine (mod) and we'll glady answer any questions.

westie
3rd April 2008, 16:53
Hmmm....:shifty:

fireliv
3rd April 2008, 17:00
Hi Dan!!

Welcome aboard! Sorry I cant offer you much in the way of advice on a bike but I can say that it would be cool to have a beer with ya when you make it to chirstchurch! So keep us informed of your travels, and if you get stuck anywhere just ask for help, cos there are plenty of people on this site who are awesome at helping out!
Good luck on getting a bike!

Atmonauti
3rd April 2008, 23:18
I cant wait to take the whole country in! and i'll be in Christchurch for sure and try to give you a heads up on when i'll be there! I love beer and good company!

I have another couple of questions to spring on you folks! :)

Having only ridden sport/street bikes, could anyone comment on if you lose any smoothness through nicely paved twisties(turns) on a dual purpose? say in mountains or along the coast? I think a dual sport is the way to go to it all in.. but am worried i would give up leaning out into turns and such as I can do my 600 at home.

Do those knobby tires fare well in those sorts of conditions?

If I will lose a lot in that department, It might be a deal breaker for me getting a dual sport. I love leaning out off the seat too much to give it up on NZ roads.

Also has anyone had any luck/experience with all those imports and copies I am seeing on the classifieds?

Like the Hyosung, Rhino, Hummer and other chinese copies.

here is one example:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=146866399

This is probably not the place for these questions but I figured Id ask anyways and maybe at least get sent in the right direction to find an answer :D

Again thanks SOO much for all the info so far!

SDU
4th April 2008, 12:54
I cant wait to take the whole country in! and i'll be in Christchurch for sure and try to give you a heads up on when i'll be there! I love beer and good company!

So it must be thawing out after the big snow at your home- you made it out!
Welcome to the KBnuthouse & NZ.
Do make sure you let us know when you'll be in CHCH, (PM me) I work with a couple off crazy Canadians-:whistle: (1 has only been here since Oct 07) & will see if they want to come for a drink. :laugh: of course they will.

Do those knobby tires fare well in those sorts of conditions?
Good dual sporter knobby's are great fun in the twisties. I luved my Old DR650SE-had a ball throwing it around- even loaded with gear.
The Adventure boy's will be along soon or start a thread in the adventure section.

Also has anyone had any luck/experience with all those imports and copies I am seeing on the classifieds?

Like the Hyosung, Rhino, Hummer and other chinese copies.

here is one example:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=146866399

This is probably not the place for these questions but I figured Id ask anyways and maybe at least get sent in the right direction to find an answer :D

Again thanks SOO much for all the info so far!

I don't know about those bikes in particular but if you are going to tour you'll proberly want more grunt then that 250.You may want to spend a bit more -duallies are popular so resale should be good either that or hire a bike.
Good luck.

Livvy
4th April 2008, 16:03
Don't feed the trolls, bite the hooks, and read all posts and take them in with a pinch of salt (these old buggers here are terribly sarcastic :rolleyes:).

Welcome to the site and to NZ. :2thumbsup

ManDownUnder
4th April 2008, 16:07
Atmonauti - welcome aboard man.

Trademe possibly has as good a range of bikes as anywhere and will give you a good idea of what you can get, and if you need to raise the amount you want to spend.

Keep an eye on the KB Calender for various events and feel free to invite yourself along to a few. The more the merrier.

Atmonauti
5th April 2008, 18:11
You guys are awesome thanks so much for the information and i'll get a hold you folks in CHCH when i head that way for sure!

I'll go start that thread in the adventure section now :)

Swoop
7th April 2008, 12:33
Gudday Dude!
Plenty of staff needed at dz's around the country. Shouldn't find it too difficult, unless you are transferring rating's to here. The pay is marginal at a few places as well.

You'll enjoy the hell out of the place! Go large here!!!

Atmonauti
6th July 2008, 19:58
I plan on leaving Auckland in the next day or so and heading to the Coromandel.
Then east along the Bay of Plenty either hitting Rotorua then or after I do the East Cape and head up through the Lake Waikaremoana forest area.

Taupo, Tongariro, New Plymouth/Taranaki (maybe this run or on my way back up north) Napier/Hastings, Palmerson North, Masterton, Wellington.

My only dates I have on my schedule are to be at a skydiving festival in Nelson for the end of August.

My NZ Mobile number is 027 365 5850.

Thanks for your interest! And I would love to meet all of you! Please contact me anytime!

I have been advised to put up posts in the Adventure and the Touring sections as well.

Dan

Blackbird
13th July 2008, 14:57
Well, Dan has just left the Coromandel Peninsula after 3 days with us and is now en route to the Bay of Plenty and on south. For anyone with a spare bed, you won't be disappointed with Dan, he's been a delight to have around. Oh yes, he also makes a mean stir fry:clap:.

The load he's carrying on that XT 400 of his defies belief. Back pack, front pack and a veritable mountain of stuff on the back seat! No wonder his brakes went a bit rubbery down the eastern side of the Coromandel Hill! Boy, he still gets along though and is quick in the twisty stuff despite the mass.

Pleasure to have you here Dan and you're welcome back any time. Enjoy what is yet to come.

seens
14th July 2008, 19:12
Hay there Dan Was fun to meet you at the Coroglen pub wish you all the luck and fun in the world.
Golly an i cracked up watching you put down the road towards Hotwater beach/Harhei
Cheers
John:scooter:

Atmonauti
15th July 2008, 16:06
thanks soooo much Blackbird! I am forever greatful for all of your help and expertise of the area.

Coromandel is truly Motorcycle Mecca. I have to get my 600 back there.

Thanks for the comment seens was nice meeting you and gawking at your bike! yep I try to take full advantage of the corners even though I dont have my F4i to get my knee down :)

CookMySock
15th July 2008, 19:08
Hokay, Im meeting Dan tomorrow (Friday) at barkes corner for a run to rotaz and then through to whakas area. Any one wanna riiiide ? Come along!

DB

Atmonauti
17th July 2008, 15:13
275 Km of Heaven! BiK3RChiK and DangerousBastard and their kids made for quite the crew. So far to date the biggest group ride I have been on in NZ so far! Sooo good.

Heading in the next few days/ if not tomorrow around the East Cape and down to Gisborne, then Wairoa and up through Lake Waikaremoana.

If there is anyone in those areas that wouldnt mind meeting a Canadian let me know! :)

BiK3RChiK
17th July 2008, 15:58
C'mon folks! Let's show Dan the good ol' kiwi way... He's a mighty nice guy and is keen to see the country and meet fellow bike riders.:banana: :niceone: Dan, I hope your travels go smoothly and you get to see the sights!

Mavis

Atmonauti
18th July 2008, 09:12
I figured I would put all my postings from now on in one place.

I have added photos and will add more as well!

In the Ride Report/ Tour section.

Here's the link!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=77960

I am heading out from Whakatane today and if anyone on the East Cape, Gisborne, Wairoa or Taupo would not mind meeting a traveling Canadian in the next few days just post a reply and I have someone watching my threads for me as I'll be away from a computer.