PDA

View Full Version : Pampera V DT230

DZL
19th August 2003, 15:17
I had my intro to a Pampera yesty, borrowed the demo from Baileys in Hawera & took it along to the farm of Roy Clemments, who is a longtime trials man, his sons too, their farm is often the venue for 'official' events like Nationals etc.

I took my DT230 along for comparison as previously I had wondered if it might perhaps replace the DT in my fleet. The bad news is NO, I think I might have to wangle a Pampa AS WELL AS my DT  as I found them sufficiently different, prolly better to say 'significantly' different in fact.

Whereas the wee DT has a lovelly midrange & topend riiiip, the Pampa was by comparison pretty much all down low ~ but sh*t doesnt it do THAT well! I reckon I would get to use it a whole lot more often than the DT as it is the sort of bike with which you can entertain yaself for hours just plonking around the garden or nearest reserve.

The last trials bikes I rode were the likes of TY250 & TLR200's years ago, I fell down a whole lot too ~ but the Pampa is very much what I would have liked those other bikes to be for me . . ..  heaps of docile non-stalling bottom-end, light, nimble, & very manouverable whether you are sitting or standing ~  for reference I'm 55, 100kg, 6ft, clumsy, & not too keen on slippery downhills ever since I fell down that 150ft slip at Te Wera years ago!

I'ld prolly want to raise the bars an inch or two (easy enough) & mebbe even go down one more front tooth coz I wouldnt (personally) be ever wanting to do any rarking-up with the Pampa, not when I also have a magic DT for that purpose. I've had the DT for a few months now & have covered about 500kms of trail-only useage, in which time it hasnt managed to throw me off at all (yet!) whereas on things like DR350's in the past I always seem to be getting turfed off. These daize my requirement of a bike is just to be able to enjoy a ride without too much adrenalin . . . instead I carry a digicam & stop lots to take snaps etc.

So, Roy dragged out his GasGas 350 pucka Trials mount & took me for a plonk around his lumpiest acre, & I had a ball! We switched over for a while (he's interested in a Pampa too) & it was interesting to compare it to the 'proper' trials bike ~ which has even more grunty bottom end & feels like a slalom kayak in that it is SO easy to change direction ~ it actually feels more comfy while turning than straight ahead, but a helluva lot less comfy (almost no seat), no fuel range, much more bent over, harder to start with that stumpy kickstart lever . . .. obviously you wouldnt be looking to buy a Pampa for proper trials use, but as a bike for a greybeard to putter around on it is brrrrillyunt! It would also be ideal for teaching a learner to ride on.

HTH

DZL aka Broo C em

Oscar
19th August 2003, 16:09
Hey Brucee
WTF is a Pampera?
Where's it from?
Piccies?

igor
19th August 2003, 16:45
Originally posted by Oscar
Hey Brucee
WTF is a Pampera?
Where's it from?
Piccies?

Jeseus Oscar man, that piccie under ya name is scary

hey isn't this a squid board:D

Oscar
19th August 2003, 17:08
Originally posted by igor
Jeseus Oscar man, that piccie under ya name is scary

hey isn't this a squid board:D
It's from the ADVRider board.
I usually use this one, but some bastidge here already used it.

BTW - if it ain't a squid board, how did an AG100 rider got here?

Motu
19th August 2003, 17:37
Yeah show us some choice pics diseezil,ifin ya know how,I've been hearing about this thing,but haven't seen one yet.Gas Gas did a semi trail trials bike a few years ago...is this the next step?

We went riding on the Clemments farm about 20 yrs ago when the boys were about the best in the country,they tooks us to some choice spots and gave us a bit of ''tuition''.I hear one of the boys is back at trials again?

DZL
19th August 2003, 21:12
De Pampera is a thing wot looks like a slightly shortarse trailbike with good quality bits, but the GasGas men put the super-plonky 250cc trials motor init .. .  ya getta have a whole lotta fun without too far to fall too fast.

I havent sussed 'doing photoes postings ' yet, but ya can buy the Augusr Kiwi Rider to see & hear more about it, or gosee;-
<DIV><SPAN class=778051110-18082003></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=778051110-18082003>http://ds.dial.pipex.com/merlinbooks/mypamp.html</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=778051110-18082003>http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/merlinbooks/motoggpampera.html</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=778051110-18082003>
<DIV><SPAN class=778051110-18082003>http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/2002-s/pampera-250-specs.html</SPAN></DIV></SPAN></DIV>Njoy!

As soon as I sell something else to buy the Pamper I'll be getting to know the Clements' farm MUCH more betterer! They musta been there a bloody long while coz the AA map shows a trig stn called 'Clements' right near the intersection where the hoos is.

Hey Hoscar, give that Jeff Bush a call &amp; see if he wants company for the ride down to Tar-Hora!

&nbsp;

eee oop lads!

;-))

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Oscar
19th August 2003, 21:17
Originally posted by DZL
[ is.

Hey Hoscar, give that Jeff Bush a call &amp; see if he wants company for the ride down to Tar-Hora!

&nbsp;

eee oop lads!

;-))

&nbsp;

&nbsp; [/B]

Okey Dokey Skipper, I'm onta it!

Hutch, Lowry & Me are meetin' Vege & Co at Te Uku, so I'll Buschy a ring and see if'n he wants ta come... :done:

DZL
19th August 2003, 21:56
Which way is the 'convoy' comin south then? See if they wanna do Kaphia, Marakopa, Awakino (petrol), Ahititi, Mt Damper etc, lovelly ride&nbsp; . .. but let Vege go in front, too much adrenalin when he passes ya sideways on the old GS, A!

&nbsp;

Broo C ;-))

Oscar
19th August 2003, 22:53
Originally posted by DZL
Which way is the 'convoy' comin south then? See if they wanna do Kaphia, Marakopa, Awakino (petrol), Ahititi, Mt Damper etc, lovelly ride&nbsp; . .. but let Vege go in front, too much adrenalin when he passes ya sideways on the old GS, A!

&nbsp;

Broo C ;-))

The Vegemobile is still in dry dock, 'sides no 'kin boat like that gets near the DRZ on the gravel...

We're thinkin' Te Uku/Waitetuna/Piriongia/Otorohanga/Te Kuiti/Ohura/Ongarue/National Park to meet Johnny's mob.

DZL
20th August 2003, 00:36
Jeez eh, &amp; they shalt know thee by thy funny walks after such an epic roundabouting!

;-))

&nbsp;

SPman
20th August 2003, 07:41
Originally posted by Oscar
It's from the ADVRider board.
I usually use this one, but some bastidge here already used it.&nbsp;

Whoops, sorry about that&nbsp; :o

I'll find someone else equally disgusting :p

&nbsp;

Pampera sounds like my sort of trail/trial bike - must try and get a ride...

Doaes a TS90 qualify me as a traillie squid?&nbsp;

Oscar
20th August 2003, 08:29
Originally posted by SPman
Whoops, sorry about that&nbsp; :o

I'll find someone else equally disgusting :p

&nbsp;

Pampera sounds like my sort of trail/trial bike - must try and get a ride...

Doaes a TS90 qualify me as a traillie squid?&nbsp;

Nah, you had it first.
A change is as good as a rest anyways...:cool:

Motu
20th August 2003, 08:36
The half trials/trail bike has been around a long time - remember Bultaco tryed it back in the early 70s - half Sherpa T half Frontera...forget the name,but it never caught on. It's what I want in a dirt bike - going fast is a blast,but going impossible places,up a killer climb,along a stream bed etc gives me more satisfaction.

The Clemments have been there a while alright DZL,the boys (Dean and Andrew?) grew up there and they must be well into their 40s now.We turned left and into the paddock,going over a huge concrete pipe first,once we could do that they made us do those monster rocks,then onto the farm,looking for rocky streams - we wanted to lean how to cope with those.

I'd take a TS 90 anywhere SPman - going on a trail ride and getting places guys have trouble with on $10,000 bikes is way fun - you could run back and help Oscar push his DRZ 125 pig up the hills.:p

Dave
20th August 2003, 09:09
Pampera sounds like a womans hygene product.

Mitch
20th August 2003, 09:18
Hey SPman

I will be out at Woodhill this Sunday 24/08/03 at a family day, will have either the Pampera or EC200 or maybe even both.&nbsp; Why don't you head out and have a go???&nbsp; :niceone:

DZL
20th August 2003, 09:28
Going around that farm with the dad Roy is more my (relaxed) style, but the place always has something else just a bit tougher when ya ready for it . .. . they also have a rough bush farm higher up the mountain which I hope to wangle an invite onto. Roy is a nice chap &amp; always keen to encourage interest in trials riding .. . . we might even see a local Greybeards or Twinshock trials scene start . ...&nbsp;&nbsp; eeee I aint arfe chuffed that the place is only 45mins from Chez DZL.

&nbsp;

That toughgoing TS90 agin more expensive bikes is a hoot. Reminds me of Gary Wentz doing adventure rides on this most scrofulous old mudbug with bits wired on etc, &amp; him waxing guys on whizbikes in the bush AND along the metal . .. him with THAT dry grin!

Same thing as when one year I went to the Far North with John Kuriger from Manaia. He's a dairy farmer, rides the oldest Mudbug in Noo Zild, practices twice a day by doing feet-up power donuts on cowshit-slippery concrete. His road/adventyre scoot is a scruffy old R100 Beemer, &amp; he shit vast numbers of 'enduro' types by zapping thru offroiad sections where the 'hard men in lycra' were getting stuck. When he started feeling he needed some extra traction he scrounged a length of bailing twine from a cockies shed &amp; knitted up a set of 'chains' for the rear, then went &amp; waxed some more guys. All this with a big floppy sheepskin that had slipped over the back of the seat &amp; got just as muddy &amp; daggy as a live sheeps rear, made his bike look even more mind-boggling to the guys he shot past!

te he te he te he . ..

bROOc DZL

4skins
20th August 2003, 09:53
Hey, you thieving bastard, where'd ya get that avitar photo?

DZL
20th August 2003, 10:11
&nbsp;. .. but occifer, I just FOUND it, honest I did . .. .

&nbsp;

chuckle chuckle smirk&nbsp; ;-)))))))

SPman
20th August 2003, 19:14
Originally posted by Mitch
Hey SPman

I will be out at Woodhill this Sunday 24/08/03 at a family day, will have either the Pampera or EC200 or maybe even both.&nbsp; Why don't you head out and have a go???&nbsp; :niceone:

Sounds good. Is that one of Greg Powers events?

Mitch
20th August 2003, 19:28
Originally posted by SPman
Sounds good. Is that one of Greg Powers events?

Yes it is.&nbsp; I have only done the Motorcycle trader one before and apparently the tracks Greg sets out are abit easier (for you SPoldman :eek:&nbsp; )

I will have both the EC200 and the Pampera out there.&nbsp; Those staying after the BBQ are going to get a nasty early shock hehehe&nbsp; Might have to ride through my place on the Pampera to wake them up&nbsp; :eek::eek::eek:

SPman
20th August 2003, 19:38
All I have to do now is find exactly where it is (old and going gaga y know)_

Mitch
20th August 2003, 20:03
Get your sorry old ass to the BBQ and i'll draw ya a map :niceone:

DZL
22nd August 2003, 23:28
Hey Mitch, speakin of sorry arses, howsabout posting a nice big version of that Avatar of yours someplace (PLEASE!), I'm getting eyestrain peering at that thumbnail &amp; my eyes arent much chop anymore anyway!

;-))_))_))_&nbsp; &lt;- me, drooling again!

Mitch
22nd August 2003, 23:54
She get's abit blurry when I enlarge it tooooo much&nbsp; :D&nbsp; It's abit better though.........

DZL
23rd August 2003, 00:00
&nbsp;. . if ONLY we could read that fine print at the 'bottom' it might lead us to the site where the original came from . . .. then we could see if those are her hands ~ or some 'demons'!

;-))

Mitch
23rd August 2003, 00:06
DEMON'S&nbsp; :eek:&nbsp; :eek:&nbsp; :eek:&nbsp; :eek:&nbsp;&nbsp; That is his tail wrapped around her thigh

That was why I liked it so much................&nbsp; You must be careful mentioning my pic DZL!!!!!!!!!!&nbsp; :D&nbsp; Got the last guy into all worlds of shit. LMAO

DZL
23rd August 2003, 00:40
&nbsp;. . sounds yukky .. the shit, that is . .. otherwise I'm FIRE-PROOF!

;-))

DZL
12th October 2003, 15:34
ZO, got my new Pampera a while back, been too busy having fun riding it to report . .. . bloody magical lil scoot indeed, tho as I'm the full 100kg block I'll be keeping the DT230 for anything faster than walking speed as the soft Pampo suspenders would be bottoming too easy when going faster . .tho for smaller/lighter/shorter folk it would likely be a good allrounder if ya had a few alternative sprockets to gear it appropriately.

I've prolly never had SO much fun since my first bike, &amp; I usually get out on it a couple times every day ~ around my lumpy acre of bush-garden &amp; around the backstreets to any bit of dirt I can find to explore (it 'looks' road-legal!) . .. .&nbsp; I've fitted much taller bars to fit me, geared it down some, &amp; moved the footpegs back 3", which gives more room, improves the balance, &amp; makes it happier to turn tight (steering bumps I've ground back as well) .. .

&nbsp;.. . .it had been pd's at the dealer with fuelmix using "Maxima synthetic Castor 927", WOW that gorgeous smell of Castrol 'R' rides again ~ as soon as I can use up all my existing oilstock I'll be getting a 44 of this stuff for the Pampa, the mower, the chainsaw, cooking mebbe? ;-))&nbsp; Aromatherapy for petrol-heads huh!

I wasnt at all surprised to find that the whole shipment of Pamperas had sold very quickly, &amp; I was lucky to get one that had been assembled &amp; sitting on the floor of a sth island dealer, but Craig Bailey at Hawera managed to get ahold of it for me, next shipment wont be here till nearly xmas ~ speal nicely to Santa NOW if ya want one!

Cheers, BrooC, gotta tear meself away from Bathurst for a while &amp; go ride . ..

;-))

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

igor
12th October 2003, 17:19
u must look like a bubble on a bike

DZL
12th October 2003, 17:37
&nbsp;. . .yes, but a very TAUT bubble, with a big grin!&nbsp;

&nbsp;