PDA

View Full Version : Car exhaust law June 1st - 90 db max

Radar
4th April 2008, 07:46
If you have a modified exhaust on your car you should get it noise tested to see if it is under the new 90db limit otherwise you'll fail the warrant from June 1. Tell your mates in case they get caught out.

No mention of bikes. Its only a matter of time I guess.

Cars with modified exhausts must meet a new exhaust (tail pipe) noise level of 90 decibels. Warrant of fitness testers would be able to carry out objective noise tests if a subjective test deemed the exhaust too loud. At present, they can carry out only subjective tests. Police will also be given tougher powers under the changes by being able to direct a noisy vehicle to have an objective test.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4415394a11.html

hazard02
4th April 2008, 08:45
Just depends on where you take it for a warrant. I took the VFR to On Road and they failed the exhaust without even using the proper measuring device. Upon taking it somewhere else (where they did test) it blew 113dB at the tip and still passed.

JimO
4th April 2008, 11:17
how can a bike shop selling and fitting aftermarket mufflers turn the same muflers down on a wof

FlangMasterJ
4th April 2008, 11:35
Best news I've read all day.

nodrog
4th April 2008, 12:06
how can a bike shop selling and fitting aftermarket mufflers turn the same muflers down on a wof

easy, most aftermarket mufflers are spec'd "off road use only", agree its a bit rough for the same shop not to issue a wof, but you have to remember that the shops wof ticket is on the line if they get caught passing bikes not up to wof regulations.

Mikkel
4th April 2008, 13:28
So is this 90 dB at idle or 90 dB at the Rev limiter?

Anyway, it's easy to get around. Just chuck on your stock muffler when going for a WOF and then put your loud freeflowing muffler back on when you've gotten the WOF.

vifferman
4th April 2008, 13:33
I've just found out that the Staintune on the VFR is 95dB with the restrictor in, and 105 with it removed (like it is today).

The tricky thing will be #2 Son's 205 GTi, which has a stock exhaust that's rather non-quiet, due to being shortish and fattish. I have a feeling it will be picked up, even though it's standard.
And then there's the De Tomaso Pantera across the road - we can tell when it's started up, as the ornaments, pictures and other assorted krep in the house rattle.

nodrog
4th April 2008, 13:36
I've just found out that the Staintune on the VFR is 95dB with the restrictor in, and 105 with it removed (like it is today).

The tricky thing will be #2 Son's 205 GTi, which has a stock exhaust that's rather non-quiet, due to being shortish and fattish. I have a feeling it will be picked up, even though it's standard.
And then there's the De Tomaso Pantera across the road - we can tell when it's started up, as the ornaments, pictures and other assorted krep in the house rattle.

there are heaps of cars that wont pass 90 decibels straight from the factory.

hazard02
4th April 2008, 17:03
So is this 90 dB at idle or 90 dB at the Rev limiter?

Don't quote me on this, but I think its at 1/3 of the rev range.

Motu
4th April 2008, 17:49
Warrant of fitness testers would be able to carry out objective noise tests if a subjective test deemed the exhaust too loud. At present, they can carry out only subjective tests.

They still only do a subjective test - the objective test is done at a separate site,a controlled environment so all results are relative.The rule has been in the VIRM and it's predecessors for years - not significantly louder than the original exhaust system.There are only a handfull of cars produced in the last 20 years that you can hear an exhaust note....so if you can hear the exhaust on an N14 Nissan Pulsar,it's a fail,and you go and have the exhaust measured at the designated testing centre at your expense.

This is going to be fun!

Dave Lobster
4th April 2008, 18:23
With so many offenders, the police wont have time to nick people speeding.

Unless it's another pointless law that wont be enforced..

What's the current limit? Is that enforced?

Motu
4th April 2008, 18:39
What's the current limit? Is that enforced?

There was never a way to test that was consistent and fair - now there is.....weep:crybaby:

Dave Lobster
4th April 2008, 19:48
There was never a way to test that was consistent and fair - now there is.....weep:crybaby:

At what expense?

Will it be as enforced as the turn your foglights off if it isn't foggy law? Or the keep left when not overtaking law?

What a waste of time and money..

Motu
4th April 2008, 22:42
I think it will be enforced when someone makes enough noise to make themselves noticed by the Police.If they don't make enough noise to be notice....I don't think they will be noticed.The noise of the exhaust can be controlled to some extent by the limb manipulating the throttle.

At the WoF level? The thinking will be - ''Is this going to come back on me?'' If the answer is yes,then the noise rule will be enforced at the WoF level.

A waste of money? - in the long term the testing facilities will be paid for with noise testing revenue...win/win.

scumdog
4th April 2008, 22:49
With so many offenders, the police wont have time to nick people speeding.
Really?

Unless it's another pointless law that wont be enforced..
What gives you that idea?

JimO
5th April 2008, 05:56
I think it will be enforced when someone makes enough noise to make themselves noticed by the Police.If they don't make enough noise to be notice....I don't think they will be noticed.The noise of the exhaust can be controlled to some extent by the limb manipulating the throttle.

At the WoF level? The thinking will be - ''Is this going to come back on me?'' If the answer is yes,then the noise rule will be enforced at the WoF level.

A waste of money? - in the long term the testing facilities will be paid for with noise testing revenue...win/win.

every harley on the road will fail then

scumdog
5th April 2008, 07:23
every harley on the road will fail then

Not mine matey, not mine - quieter than a Goldwing, them Japs must have some serious noise laws over there.

Timber020
5th April 2008, 12:16
I have a power commander on my bike, dial it back to limit it to 2000rpm, see if they can make it blow 90db.

avgas
5th April 2008, 12:54
Get 3+ goldilocks, tie them together with some wire, feed the goldlocks kebab in the exhaust - leaving just the end of the wire running up the inside of the pipe (barely visible). Bike volume atleast halves. Get WOF - pull out kebab.

Dave Lobster
5th April 2008, 16:43
What gives you that idea?

There's so many others that aren't, why will this one be any different?