PDA

View Full Version : I've got a few questions regarding spark plugs!

huck farley
4th April 2008, 08:12
Can some one tell me what on average is the life of a spark plug nowadays. Particularly in a big bore, multi cylinder engine for touring? (not commuting)

Also what in your opinion is the best make of plug to screw into the head. regardless of price, and why? (touring)

Last one: What would one have to pay for say a middle to upper range Spark plug for a multi cylinder engine? (touring)
cheers all
Huck

YellowDog
4th April 2008, 08:23
Great question. I thought that provided they are clean and the gap is consistent, they lasted forever. I guess if they get physically damaged, they won't be up to much. I always found that the HT leads needed changing before the plugs.

All this shows how out of touch I am with the workings of a modern engine. Must start reading up on this or something.............

avgas
4th April 2008, 08:40
i found i roughly got atleast 10x the ammount of k's on iridiums in comparision to standard plugs. In all my engines.
Best i got from standard plugs - 15,000K's
Worst - 5,000K's
I never had to replace iridiums.

scumdog
4th April 2008, 08:44
My spark-plug experience?

20,000+km in CBs Sporty and still going.

22,000+km in the T-Sport and still going.

I have a look at them about once a year and chuck them back in, standard issue HD plugs btw.

In the days of leaded gas they didn't seem to last as long.

Cajun
4th April 2008, 09:08
i found i roughly got atleast 10x the ammount of k's on iridiums in comparision to standard plugs. In all my engines.
Worst - 5,000K's

i noticed the difference when i replaced the iridums in the 600 after 25,000kms (normal plugs meant to be replaced ever 12,000).

Katman
4th April 2008, 10:03
One thing to bear in mind with motorcycle spark plug longevity is that (in a four stroke) they fire twice every full cycle as opposed to a car where they only fire once.

scumdog
4th April 2008, 10:26
One thing to bear in mind with motorcycle spark plug longevity is that (in a four stroke) they fire twice every full cycle as opposed to a car where they only fire once.

EH? eh? eh?:blink::scratch::confused:

Harleys fire both plugs at the same time (unless you fit a single-fire kit) but the rest???

Katman
4th April 2008, 10:40
EH? eh? eh?:blink::scratch::confused:

Harleys fire both plugs at the same time (unless you fit a single-fire kit) but the rest???

Motorcycles don't have a distributor. The pick-up that sends the signal to fire the plug each time the crank turns 360 degrees isn't clever enough to know which TDC stroke it is on.

scumdog
4th April 2008, 10:45
Motorcycles don't have a distributor. The pick-up that sends the signal to fire the plug each time the crank turns 360 degrees isn't clever enough to know which TDC stroke it is on.

A lot of cars (actually most these days) don' have distributors either but the crank still only fires each cylinder in turn on the firing stroke only.

Sully60
4th April 2008, 10:47

That's not entirely true, modern ECU's do all sorts of funny things with ignition timing. Have you pulled the ignition trigger rotor off a late model 4 cylinder fuel injected bike?

To answer the original question the manufacturers were stating (early naughties) the plugs fitted from the factory in the modern fuel inject bikes are designed to last the life of the bike.

Tell that to the people who buy big sports bikes and use them for inner city commuting:pinch:

huck farley
4th April 2008, 14:16
Worst - 5,000K's

I have 22000ks up and they have never been out. That's why I posted if anyone new the life span of the modern day plug. Looks like they go forever. I guess time will tell aye?

huck farley
4th April 2008, 14:25
i noticed the difference when i replaced the iridium's in the 600 after 25,000kms (normal plugs meant to be replaced ever 12,000).

What price do the iridium plugs work out to per plug? Just an educated guess will do. Also what's the difference between an ordinary plug and the Iridium? (besides the price)
Cheers
Huck

koba
4th April 2008, 21:09
What price do the iridium plugs work out to per plug? Just an educated guess will do. Also what's the difference between an ordinary plug and the Iridium? (besides the price)
Cheers
Huck
Ive paid from 16-25 bucks for them, well worth it in my experiance, they are supposed to take a bit longer to get up to temp to work just right: noticable in my old jap turbo car but never noticed any difference on a bike.
They use a bit of iridium on the very pointed tip, doesnt wear out from sparking like a normal plug. They come pre gapped, dont try to gap them!
Mine have been good for ages.
Maybe they make it go better too but my arse dyno can't tell the difference.
I read somewhere that the 2x firing from wasted spark that katman mentions above is meant to help clean the plug between cycles too.

Abit rambly above but its friday night ...

avgas
5th April 2008, 13:04
I have 22000ks up and they have never been out. That's why I posted if anyone new the life span of the modern day plug. Looks like they go forever. I guess time will tell aye?
I suggest you best have a look at em - they prob work but dont look so pretty anymore. From recall the 955i i used to ride got about 20,000 and then fuel economy was noticeably worse on standard plugs.
Funny thing is for the yamaha:
Standard plugs - $22
Iridiums - $26

22000 on a 1050 - that must have been through at least 3 triumph dealer services by now, didn't they change the plugs then?

avgas
5th April 2008, 13:06
Mine have been good for ages.
Maybe they make it go better too but my arse dyno can't tell the difference.

Not even in the RG150's? as i noticed a huge smooth power delivery on mine with iridiums.
Also ment i could run avgas on it with no issues.

GaZBur
5th April 2008, 19:08
So can I butt in here and ask a sparkplug related question. I have a twin spark DR650 which gets mamby pamby use weekly on the way to work at 50k and in the weekend gets its neck wrung at Motards or whatever competition is running. At 12,000 k the plugs are all black and sooty around the thread but the contact? gap is clean.
Is it rich (jetted) or is that normal carbon build up. I replaced them anyway.

avgas
6th April 2008, 11:46
At 12,000 k the plugs are all black and sooty around the thread but the contact? gap is clean.
Is the plug seating properly, as i have had a lawn mower with similar issues turned out that a plug had been over tightened at some point and done wonders to the thread.

koba
6th April 2008, 20:35
Not even in the RG150's? as i noticed a huge smooth power delivery on mine with iridiums.
Also ment i could run avgas on it with no issues.

Compared to a fresh normal plug I couldn't tell the difference but stayed good untill It blew up!

koba
6th April 2008, 20:38
So can I butt in here and ask a sparkplug related question. I have a twin spark DR650 which gets mamby pamby use weekly on the way to work at 50k and in the weekend gets its neck wrung at Motards or whatever competition is running. At 12,000 k the plugs are all black and sooty around the thread but the contact? gap is clean.

Should have a light soot and cleanish tan area around electrode. google some images to see. Shouldn't have soot on the actual thread if that is what you mean, wrong (too long) plug?

motorbyclist
7th April 2008, 01:28
i find the fuel you use has a role to play

did an experiment a while back with 400 and 426cc motorcross bikes and sparkplug life. bp98 gave longest life, gull was ok, shell was fouling up plugs in under 3 hours

you sure on that one? the bike has to have some way of timing the spark, and that depends on the bike.

on the old XRs for example, the pickup was attached to the cam shaft, so always fired at the correct TDC (well slightly before of course)

and with all the electronic controls nowadays the spark is meant to be at the right time every time.

GaZBur
7th April 2008, 07:42
Should have a light soot and cleanish tan area around electrode. google some images to see. Shouldn't have soot on the actual thread if that is what you mean, wrong (too long) plug?

Is the plug seating properly, as i have had a lawn mower with similar issues turned out that a plug had been over tightened at some point and done wonders to the thread.

I mislead with my original statement. The rim of the plug where the thread ends is black, the threads themselves are clean. The Electrode is also quite clean but slightly brown coloured - so thanks for advice as that sounds normal then. I will look up google for pics - sorry thats what I should have done in the first place instead of hijacking the thread!

huck farley
7th April 2008, 10:06
22000 on a 1050 - that must have been through at least 3 triumph dealer services by now, didn't they change the plugs then?

I don't know but a the 10k they took them out and cleaned them. At the 20K they did the same. I see reading through the service checks, they say to replace the spark plugs at 40k Can't complain at that I guess aye? So I guess I have the awnser to my Q now. Thanks all that contributed to the thread.
cheers
Huck

Max Preload
7th April 2008, 15:34
A lot of cars (actually most these days) don' have distributors either but the crank still only fires each cylinder in turn on the firing stroke only.

But they have cam angle sensors to tell it which cylinder is firing TDC.

avgas
8th April 2008, 12:00
Compared to a fresh normal plug I couldn't tell the difference but stayed good untill It blew up!
I know the feeling.
I lost mine at 24,000k's
God damn cheap oil pumps