PDA

View Full Version : What's the 411 on visors?

Timati
4th April 2008, 12:41
I tend to use tinted a visor and have the odd look from a cop at night. As far as I am aware there isn't anything wrong having tinted visors.

Coldrider
4th April 2008, 12:42
As far as I am aware they are not illegal, but I would give you an odd look at night too.

Ixion
4th April 2008, 12:44
There is no law specifically covering tinted visors (or goggles) in NZ.

In the UK they are illegal, and we have a lot of imported plod, some of whom have great trouble understanding that different countries may have different laws.

The wisdom of regular use of a tinted visor at night, however, is open to question.

MIXONE
4th April 2008, 12:47
Tinted visors are not adviseable at night and 10 times worse when they get scratched.Stick to clear.They might not look as cool but you can see heaps better.Tinted could make you dead cool.:shit:

nodrog
4th April 2008, 12:49
I tend to use tinted a visor and have the odd look from a cop at night. As far as I am aware there isn't anything wrong having tinted visors.

it will be fine pootling up and down the motorway and around town, but get out anywhere where there are no streetlights and you will find it hard to read the road surface, you wont be able to see damp patches, pea gravel properly etc, and if it starts raining as well you will be properly fucked.

this is asuming you have a dark tint visor, ie looks black from the outside.

Timati
4th April 2008, 12:50
Only reason I have had them on at night is when I had them on during the day when it's bright daylight...don't want to be carrying 2 visors...As for using sunnies, find them uncomfortable with the helmet on...Wonder if there is a visor that tints during the day and clears at night...

PirateJafa
4th April 2008, 12:53
Or of course you could always, like, open your visor at night?

Just a wild thought.

Timati
4th April 2008, 12:54
Well I could but I could also get hit on the face...Happened once but fortunately had the visor down. Don't think I want my face smeared while blasting down the the motorway.

vifferman
4th April 2008, 13:04
I don't think there's a photochromatic visor, but there is a photochromatic insert (Pinlock or similar).

Timati
4th April 2008, 13:08
As long as I don't get pulled over for wearing them at night, I don't mind them.

Gwinch
4th April 2008, 13:17
Or of course you could always, like, open your visor at night?

Just a wild thought.

Ehhh, I'd normally have agreed with you but a recent experience has got me riding with my visor down at all times.

Potzing along in a 50km/h area (not even two blocks from my house) and something struck my right eye. Had literally milliseconds of warning as it was just something tiny and only viewable at a distance of half a metre'ish. Anyway, I pulled right over and rubbed the bollocks out of my eye as it was really quite uncomfortable.

So there I was thinking all was better (even tea bagged my eye that night, yes, with an actual tea bag and not testicles) but when I woke up the next morning my eye was weeping and I hurried to the bathroom while blinking furiously. Wet some tissues and wiped my eye to discover that a fucking mosquito had been in my eye all fucking night. Each time I wiped more chunks or legs would come out. Fucker.

Timati
4th April 2008, 13:20
My experience was limited to small rocks on the motorway and bird poo which went splat. Now imagine if I had my visor up...

martybabe
4th April 2008, 13:21
There are several helmet manufacturers that make lids with an internal drop down tinted visor behind the clear one. you can have your cake and eat it. Quite reasonably priced and they work well. The interweb has the solution. :yes:

Timati
4th April 2008, 13:22
What are they called?

PirateJafa
4th April 2008, 13:23
Well, I am one of the spectacle-wearing masses, so I have never had that problem myself.

They just get smeared over my glasses instead. :)

Timati
4th April 2008, 13:25
Well, I am one of the spectacle-wearing masses, so I have never had that problem myself.

They just get smeared over my glasses instead.

And what about the rest of your face? I have no intention of having bird poo on my face.

vifferman
4th April 2008, 13:28
Wet some tissues and wiped my eye to discover that a fucking mosquito had been in my eye all fucking night. Fucker.
So - was there another mosquito in there, or was it fucking your eye, or having sex with itself? :spudwhat:

Yeah, crap in your eyes isn't good. I was riding with the visor open a crack on the way to Coromandel one morning, and rode through a swarm/flock/herd/gaggle/pod/school of midges, most of which got sucked into my helmet. Sooo.... I raised the visor momentarily to blow them out, which worked apart from the ones that got blown into my eyes, and the new ones which weren't previously inside....

I used to ride wearing sunglasses a lot, with my visor open at sub-warp velocities and closed otherwise. It worked really well, until the day a bee blew in only 100m from home. [Picture mad panic to stop the bike, remove gloves then undo helmet then remove helmet to get bee out]
Luckily, it had hit the tip of my nose, and couldn't get its stinger inserted very far, so no real damage was done, but I learned my lesson.
However, I didn't actually desist from the practice until I got my first tinted visor.

By the way - WTF do you call a swarm/flock/herd/gaggle/pod/school of midges? :spudwhat:

martybabe
4th April 2008, 13:29
What are they called?

Consarn it, I knew someone would ask. Tried to side step by saying the interweb has the solution. Can't remember is the truth of it. hang on.:lol:

There ya go, theres loads more but you'll have to search.

PirateJafa
4th April 2008, 13:30
And what about the rest of your face? I have no intention of having bird poo on my face.

I have yet to experience a bird defecating on either myself or my bike.

I suspect that one bird shat itself when it flew into me as I was pootling along my merry way one day, but it left no trace behind other than a good solid "thunk!".

There is a limit as to how far you can protect yourself from everything imaginable - we do ride motorbikes after all. :)

Timati
4th April 2008, 13:34
By the way - WTF do you call a swarm/flock/herd/gaggle/pod/school of midges

I would say swarm e.g. swarm of mosquitoes, locusts, seeing that it's an insect

Gwinch
4th April 2008, 13:34
So - was there another mosquito in there, or was it fucking your eye, or having sex with itself? :spudwhat:

I don't think it really got the chance to penetrate/fuck my eyeball any, my finger was in there quick smart giving it some jabs.

Dude, midges up your nasal cavities? That would've been the most revolting sensation.

martybabe
4th April 2008, 13:36
I would say swarm e.g. swarm of mosquitoes, locusts, seeing that it's an insect

I think the correct term is a bastard of midges.

Timati
4th April 2008, 13:36
There is a limit as to how far you can protect yourself from everything imaginable - we do ride motorbikes after all.

True. Had a close call today with a dude in front of me in his car. Didn't even signal when he turned right.

Timati
4th April 2008, 13:38
I think the correct term is a bastard of midges Actually Wee Bastard - http://scotlandthedamp.blogspot.com/2006/02/wee-bastard-scottish-midge.html.

Timati
4th April 2008, 13:40
The helmet in the middle looks awesome. Could be a jet fighter pilot by day and bike rider by night..

martybabe
4th April 2008, 13:47
Actually Wee Bastard - http://scotlandthedamp.blogspot.com/2006/02/wee-bastard-scottish-midge.html.

:lol::lol: Feck me your quick on the intraspit. well done.

SVboy
4th April 2008, 13:49
A little off thread, but on a recent blast to Murchie at 1xxKms, in a challenging section of curves, whilst chasing the legendary Schrek, a bee avoided becoming visor kill by flying up into the helmet!! Oh S$%T! What do you do? Watch the road-as the bee attempts to mate with your eyeballs? Close your eyes and splatter off the road?....I attempted to watch the road and the bee of death whilst performing an emergency stop in the twisties. Then, life slowed down as I removed a glove, unlocked and raised the visor, then removed the helmet! No stings! Shoulda bought a lotto ticket!!

Timati
4th April 2008, 13:52
Apparently there's a patent on the multi-visor - http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5477566.html. Scratch that. Found one online - http://www.tyresonline.net/shop_details.asp?productID=957&productName=HJC_FS-MAX_Multi-Fibre_Flip_Front_Helmet_with_Integral_Sun_Visor_

hellnback
4th April 2008, 13:53
It's pitch black when I leave for work in the mornings, so there's no way I can see properly whilst fanging it round the country roads (no streetlights no traffic, random sheep, cow shit) so I just take my tinted with me and change it when I leave as the sun is shining (hopefully - not today by the look of things:crybaby:)

vifferman
4th April 2008, 13:56
I think the correct term is a bastard of midges.
LOLzah.
I now realise - based on what you just said and what I said at the time - that it is in fact a fukya of midges. :lol:

LilSel
4th April 2008, 13:56
I got caught out the other week with my tinted visor on & it got dark (wasnt planning on being out long lol)

Once on the motorway its all good cuz can still see... but as I was going to the motorway... got about 20m down the road, visor up... and caught a bug in the eye... well... eyelid... it stung like a bitch... and its still healing (eyelid bruised & scabbed up...)

vifferman
4th April 2008, 13:59
Shoulda bought a lotto ticket!!
Hmmmm....
Maybe (if there were such a thing as luck), you'd just used your dollop, so the lotto ticket would've come up with only one matching number.

Big Dave
4th April 2008, 14:33
I use tinted visors and carry either clear safety glasses under the seat - or wiley X sunnies with replaceable clear lenses - and just ride with it open on the rare times I return home after dark.

Horse
4th April 2008, 15:09
I've got an HJC FS-MAX (http://www.motoretail.co.nz/product.cfm?ID=6354), which is a flip-face helmet with internal sun-visor. I really like the flip down sun visor, great for riding in variable conditions later in the day when you can go from bright sunlight to heavy cloud in a few minutes. I prefer the flip-face as I wear glasses and it's much more convenient when putting the helmet on & off.

HJC also make a non-flip full face helmet with the visor called the FS-10 (http://www.motoretail.co.nz/product.cfm?ID=6353). Some config, just no flip-face.

BTW I'm just linking to motomail for convenience, but I actually bought my FS-MAX locally from a dealer. Helped being able to try them on, as I found the FS-MAX to be a bit shorter in the chin than the cheap HJC full-face I was replacing, and I had to go up a size to get it comfortable. I have a freakishly large chin that wouldn't be out of place on yer average cartoon character. :)

vifferman
4th April 2008, 15:18
I wanted to buy an HJC with the sunvisor thingo, but it was just so uncomfortable: the shell/liner was the worngA shape, and summat by the ear was giving me grief.

Hitcher
4th April 2008, 16:57

They may not be illegal, but anybody who knowingly wears anything that impairs their vision and compromises their safety could be called a twat.

TOTO
5th April 2008, 08:14
They may not be illegal, but anybody who knowingly wears anything that impairs their vision and compromises their safety could be called a twat.

me = called a twat

I deserve punishment :spanking:

NZsarge
5th April 2008, 08:33
I've just made some enquiries about photochromic pinlock inserts for my Arai, will be interesting to see what they cost if they are available locally, if they are i'll be giving one ago I reckon.

Ripperjon
5th April 2008, 09:06
A lot of guys i work with wear Gatorz sunglasses. They are comfortable under a helmet cos they have a flat metal frame and make a good seal around most peoples eyes, so good for skydiving and so would be good for riding visor open or with an open face helmet if you are so inclined.

One bad thing about them is the lenses aren't soft plastic - which is cool until you crash. :(

McJim
5th April 2008, 09:18
Schuberth do helmets with internal sun visors too. But the downside is that you have to sell your bike to buy one.