PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Theft Device - countering the scumbags

madbikeboy
4th April 2008, 14:01
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the posts with people losing bikes to fucking scumbag bike thieves.

I'm in the process of working with a solid NZ manufacturer who make telemetry devices for cars and trucks. Next week we're going to add a trial box in Scoot - this will allow me to track where my bike is, and what it's doing. It uses GPS, and even when the bike is off, it sends a signal at defined intervals to say Hi, I'm here!

The device isn't cheap - at about $1500 - but it sure beats having a bike alarm which no one hears. The other point is that if the bike gets stolen, we can track where it goes. And catch the scumbags. :chase:

So, I need to understand who would be interested in buying one - it's not going to be for everyone (price, but it is what it is), but if you've got a Harley/Buell/Gixer etc - it's better than losing it.

If the trial is successful (which it should be), then the units should be for sale (complete with installation) in the next six weeks.

Anyone want one??

Oh, one other feature - if the bike tips on it's side and stays there, we're sure we can get a bike down signal sent... That might be useful...

Tank
4th April 2008, 14:05
snitch.co.nz

A tried and tested product and I save $00's to boot.

Sorry.

jim.cox
4th April 2008, 14:09
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the posts with people losing bikes to fucking scumbag bike thieves.

I'm in the process of working with a solid NZ manufacturer who make telemetry devices for cars and trucks. Next week we're going to add a trial box in Scoot - this will allow me to track where my bike is, and what it's doing. It uses GPS, and even when the bike is off, it sends a signal at defined intervals to say Hi, I'm here!

The device isn't cheap - at about $1500 - but it sure beats having a bike alarm which no one hears. The other point is that if the bike gets stolen, we can track where it goes. And catch the scumbags. :chase:

So, I need to understand who would be interested in buying one - it's not going to be for everyone (price, but it is what it is), but if you've got a Harley/Buell/Gixer etc - it's better than losing it.

If the trial is successful (which it should be), then the units should be for sale (complete with installation) in the next six weeks.

Anyone want one??

Oh, one other feature - if the bike tips on it's side and stays there, we're sure we can get a bike down signal sent... That might be useful...

I'm certainally considering one for my bike

What is the on-going cost for monitoring?

but as there are units like this...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/GPS/Boating/auction-147948015.htm?p=1

already on the market for substantially less you will have to get the price down or features up.

Just my $0.02

PS: I actively dont want the "hi i'm here" and I dont need the "bike down" features

madbikeboy
4th April 2008, 14:10
snitch.co.nz

A tried and tested product and I save $00's to boot.

Sorry.

Hi Tank,

Is it ruggardised for nasty environments? The device we are trialling has been used for some years in about 30 countries - the unknown is putting the device on a bike...

Timati
4th April 2008, 14:11
Snitch looks like a good product to have installed. How much was the installation and what are th on-going fees? Any maintenance, contracts, etc?

Coldrider
4th April 2008, 14:12
Need to be bike-jacking proof as well, as one door closes, another opens.
The owners become victims of bike thefts as well.

jim.cox
4th April 2008, 14:12
snitch.co.nz

Sussn fussn dirty frigging flash only websites :( :( :(

madbikeboy
4th April 2008, 14:14
PS: I actively dont want the "hi i'm here" and I dont need the "bike down" features[/QUOTE]

Hi Mate,

Yeah, GPS has been around for a long time - the sort of unit that I'm suggesting integrates with the bike a lot better, and the feature set is really rich (the software has all sorts of neat features, can be used on a track since it was race car born)...

I'll post a product review on the system in the next few days. Ongoing cost is likely $15 or so a month.

The biker down could be useful - don't be morbid. :doctor:

Tank
4th April 2008, 14:14
Hi Tank,

Is it ruggardised for nasty environments? The device we are trialling has been used for some years in about 30 countries - the unknown is putting the device on a bike...

hers is a kiwibiker review.

Note - I dont have one, own shares in the company, nor am I knocking off the owners daughter.

I'm just pointing out that it has been done already.

-Tank

madbikeboy
4th April 2008, 14:18
hers is a kiwibiker review.

Note - I dont have one, own shares in the company, nor am I knocking off the owners daughter.

I'm just pointing out that it has been done already.

-Tank

Yeah, no worries, didn't mean it that way - my original question is to see if there is a market, and if there are comparible or better devices, this little research thing will save time. I've been around the network and software side of GPS for years, and the device that I'm installing on scoot is pretty neat, very low current draw, good software, and bomb-proof... Can you provide more information about knocking off the daughter?? :shutup:

jim.cox
4th April 2008, 14:19
the software has all sorts of neat features, can be used on a track since it was race car born)...

That might the 'lever' you need to justify your price then :)

Tank
4th April 2008, 14:27
Can you provide more information about knocking off the daughter?? :shutup:

Sorry - she's only 8 and prefers that we keep it our little secret.

madbikeboy
4th April 2008, 14:30
That might the 'lever' you need to justify your price then :)

Did I mention that it can measure everything electronic, like temperatures, speed, braking, accelaration?? It's pretty neat.

jim.cox
4th April 2008, 14:40
Did I mention that it can measure everything electronic, like temperatures, speed, braking, accelaration?? It's pretty neat.

or suffering from "creeping feature-itis" ?

how does it get that data? by integrating into the bikes can bus?

in any case its overkill for me :(