PDA

View Full Version : I am a mechanical retard (xl185)

georgedubyabush
19th August 2003, 19:09
Why can I not do a simple thing like putting a throttle cable back into the carb? The ole XL has a plasticy piston and spring thing as a throttle valve, probably like most simple hondas. It was working before I took it apart, now I cant seem to get it working right. The manual I have is pretty vague on this but I'm sure I have the needle, retaining clip, and cable togther right.

The problem is now the plunger thing wont slide down all the way to the throttle stop screw by way of the spring. I can shove it down with a screwdriver, but the first twist on the grip and it binds up again. Does it need special grease or something? regular stuff doesnt seem to work. Is emery paper worth a try? could my hamfists have squashed it out of shape?

so this is why they say "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Kwaka-Kid
19th August 2003, 20:42
nah george.. its allgood, and tinkering is fine.. it will go back together, just hang in there :) im a little tired atm, + im confused by ur post, possibly as i havnt worked on a XL125 in like 2 years! and dont remember throttle cable? i remember how the XL250 worked.. but that was a 2way cable system, like most bikes nowadays.  So dont u just slip it into thingy (round pully wheel thingy) which has a spring on it.. and it always springs back? does it need a heavier spring? (dont that b4) or just some car oil on spring as spring is getting caught? - have you checked that the bar/rod thingy which the throttle turns is not catching on the carb rubber/metal squeezer thing? u know hte metal thinhg u tighten to seal carb to rubber.. my ZXR400 throttle rod thingy was turning and where it was connected, was just catching on one of hte screws.. just had to shuffle it around a little further.. somthing like that? is there a clicking where it catches? if so where is it coming from?

thats all for now, a little tired...

PZR
19th August 2003, 21:19
Geez KK was that actually english?:argh:

MikeL
19th August 2003, 21:25
Originally posted by PZR
Geez KK was that actually english?:argh:

What an ignoramus! Just because you don't understand highly technical terms like "thingy". I don't see how KK could have described it any more clearly.

:p

Kwaka-Kid
19th August 2003, 21:36
hahaha

what can i say.. im tired... :) thats a good enuf excuse.. AND IT SOUNDED PERFECT in my head :) hahahaha! but who knows what goes on in my head.. the poor little (now dead) mouse that runs in a wheel used to know...

Big Dog
19th August 2003, 22:43
Try Checking that where you attached the cable to the frame you haven't screwed it down too tight and fowled the cable (did this on a choke once).
Could also try some silicone grease in the top end of the cable.

Also check the "thingumy"at the throttle end is not screwed in too tight (did this to a freinds throtle cable).

Sorry don't now the set up of this throttle, could be a half wheel a cup or a wheel?
:niceone:
Thats my ten cents
Ciao, Big Dog.

What?
20th August 2003, 06:10
As Big Dog says, check your cable routing.

Also, is the throttle slide in the right way?? If it is a plastic one, it can be forced all the way in the wrong way around, but will jam. The aluminium ones can be put in back to front, but will not slide right to the bottom of the barrel. You will notice the top cap difficult to screw on if this is the case, as the return spring will be under a lot of pressure. In neither situation is the engine likely to run...

Attaching the cable to the slide is straight forward - it is right or it falls out. The cable must go straight up the centre, i.e. must not foul the spring.

KK: 185/200's have the throttle cable go through a spigot in the top of the carb and terminate into the underside of the "thingy", right beside the needle.:done:

merv
20th August 2003, 13:56
Is the cable end knob thingy properly seated in the bottom of the slide?

Is the cable outer properly seated in the screw adjuster thingy on top of the carb where you had to screw it down as the top cap?

Sounds like it is being held open a bit. You should never need to grease a carb slide or attack it with emery paper. Remember it was OK until you pulled it apart so best you take it apart again and look very carefully at how all the bits are fitting together and there aren't many to look at i.e. slide, cable, needle and circlip thingys. Needle should have circlip fitted in right notch (generally about in the middle) and circlip should be sitting flat against base of the slide with the spring sitting flat against the circlip holder thingy. The cable should be passing down the middle of the spring through the bottom of the slide and be properly sitting in the housing that holds the cable end knob thingy on the underside. The slide should only go one way down the carb hole as the slot on the side should line up with the small knob thingy that sticks out from the carb body so it slides up and down on it and stays the right way round. Unless you've knackered that wee knob thingy you wouldn't have been able to push the slide down far enough to screw the top down.

If all of this is right then have you jammed the cable somehow by bending it too tight or running it somewhere it never used to be. You never mentioned if the throttle was stiffer or not, so its hard to tell if you have a jam or not.

I owned XL and XR Hondas for 25 years and loved their simple slide carbs. They were smooth as and worked very well. The bloody DR Suzuki I have now has a flat slide and twin cable set up and it is impossible to get it to operate the throttle smoothly on and off the idle position. Makes it hard to ride smoothly as its jerky as you throttle off and throttle on in corners on the road and its diabolical to ride on slippery trail surfaces.

bikerboy
20th August 2003, 15:15
Having just crawled through the technical jargon on this thread, I remember why I don't follow this thread, and why I pay people to fix things for me.:o

georgedubyabush
20th August 2003, 15:23
Originally posted by merv

The slide should only go one way down the carb hole as the slot on the side should line up with the small knob thingy that sticks out from the carb body so it slides up and down on it and stays the right way round. Unless you've knackered that wee knob thingy you wouldn't have been able to push the slide down far enough to screw the top down. 

And the winner is...

Yeah, I PARTLY knackered the little plastic knob pushing it in not quite straight the first time. A screw driver fixed it well enough. I even figured it out my self this morning in the light of day. Couldnt see the knob in the dark.

Now that ive given my little knob a morning fix:D what does lowering or raising the needle do? lean or enrich?

What?
21st August 2003, 06:33
Raising the needle (lowering the circlip on the needle) richens the mixture. Middle notch is standard, so work from there, but remeber that it is safer to err on the rich side.:niceone:

georgedubyabush
21st August 2003, 09:07
Originally posted by What?
Raising the needle (lowering the circlip on the needle) richens the mixture. Middle notch is standard, so work from there, but remeber that it is safer to err on the rich side.:niceone:

It was on the second notch from the top when I took it apart. The manual said 4th one down was standard setting so tried that. ran like crap so changed it back. Goes well enough for a farm hack. Might even give it an oil change one day.

Redstar
22nd August 2003, 22:50
XL250HONDA? now thats a classic? I remember those they were silver? and four stroke? and a sort of road/trial bike right?
Thats it really glad I could help!

PS twin? twin carb? not sure? I crossed the slide on a twin once.
held the slides up. and reved off the scale when started.
felt a right dork when I realised my mistake

georgedubyabush
23rd August 2003, 10:11
Redstar: Who me?

Nah, it's an XL185s

Although in old condition, (used and abused cow cocky bike). Its not actually that old. I think circa 1995 as that's when the little manual with it was printed. Why change a good thing aye Honda?

185 four stroke single of course. single carb. Orange steel tank, orange big flat seat. twin shocks. good for about 100kph. Runs on fumes. Ideal as it can sit at idle all day following cows etc, and starts first kick every time. And you can have a bit more fun on it than a boring old quad.

gpercivl
27th August 2003, 22:06
I've got a Haynes manual that covers that model if you need more info...just email me gpercivl@ihug.co.nz...I don't seem to have much time to spend surfing these days.

cheers, Greg