PDA

View Full Version : Thanks from a Canadian!

Atmonauti
5th April 2008, 20:37
Thanks so much you guys! Im a solo canadian thats gonna buy a 250 dual purpose (i think) and try to do the whole country. I have been just eating up all these suggested routes in this section of the fourm and have been highlighting my map:)

my tent and sleeping bag in tow on the back of my bie. and a bag of luggage sent in the post from skydiving dropzone to dropzone with my parachute and skydiving gear.

I am going to be touring around for close to a year or longer. I am thinking more and more about seeking longer visas here in NZ

anyways just wanted to express my gratitude for all the tips!

I am pretty much planning to do the entire coast of both islands. But its nice to see inland options as well :)

I am going to be reading up in the adventure section as well!

You guys rawk!

Dan

Dino
5th April 2008, 21:02
Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with a heap of time to do it in.

I'm sure if you post up your ride plans there will be guys on here who will want to catch up with you and show you some of their favorite local rides.

Hope you have a ball.

Atmonauti
5th April 2008, 21:31
Thanks! I am a bit worried I am going to be wishing I had my 600 F4i the whole time im going around these coastal routes. big winding up hills and down i assume?

So on a bike like a early 2000's XT 250 ish 4 stroke type bike when im used to ripping around twisties... i just wonder if it will diminish my experience seeing the country of my dreams on two wheels.

kiwi cowboy
5th April 2008, 21:49
Thanks! I am a bit worried I am going to be wishing I had my 600 F4i the whole time im going around these coastal routes. big winding up hills and down i assume?

So on a bike like a early 2000's XT 250 ish 4 stroke type bike when im used to ripping around twisties... i just wonder if it will diminish my experience seeing the country of my dreams on two wheels.

just think how mutch more you will see poootling along on a 2fiddy as opposed to rippin it up on a bigger bike:lol:
Dont forget to tour central south island:2thumbsup

Atmonauti
5th April 2008, 22:01
heheh thanks for the reply! though my head is still stuck in this quagmire :( heh

dont worry I plan on taking the whole country in :D

MaxB
5th April 2008, 23:47
Just a question. Why are you limiting yourself to 250s?

The 250s are our learner bikes and so hold their prices. Things like the DR650 go really well here. Even bikes like the BMW F650 will go just about anywhere with the right tyre choice. IMHO if you can handle a CBR you will have no worries with a larger dual purpose bike.

Atmonauti
6th April 2008, 10:23
the price is the limiting factor.
so the more i use for the bike the quicker i'll have to work to make money and the less buffer i have for cash if something comes up goes wrong.

yungatart
6th April 2008, 10:41
If you find yourself in Hawkes Bay and in need of accomodation, there is plenty of room here. A PM will sort it.
Cheers

JMemonic
7th April 2008, 13:03
the price is the limiting factor.
so the more i use for the bike the quicker i'll have to work to make money and the less buffer i have for cash if something comes up goes wrong.

Firstly welcome and I hope you do get to enjoy a tour of NZ.

I suspect you may have missed the point re the price of bikes, currently the upper limit on anyone learning to ride here is 250cc, (this is proposed to change in the future), hence there is a constant demand for this class which has held the prices up, you can often purchase a larger rated bike for less money, case in point was recently you could buy a used Bandit 250cc or a Bandit 600cc the only difference in some cases was the cc rating, this has changed a little but not that much eg example 1 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-148810509.htm?key=346791), and example 2 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-148079830.htm?key=346791), it would be possible to spend around the same money for a larger bike and have that little bit more comfort they offer on longer runs.

Atmonauti
9th April 2008, 10:26
I follow ya there. The problem is 3k is kind of the ceiling. well its the new ceiling :S as I was hoping to find a bike for 2k.

The higher the price of the bike the more I have invested in it the more I rely on reselling it when/if I leave.

And thanks so much for the offer for accommodation!

I am going to do the cape loop for sure. Hoping I dont get stranded for gas. But I'll let ya know when im heading that way anyways just in case I do wanna break it up over more then a day.

You folks are amazing!

:D

MSTRS
9th April 2008, 10:49
I follow ya there. The problem is 3k is kind of the ceiling. well its the new ceiling ... as I was hoping to find a bike for 2k.

Good luck finding a bike that is reliable etc for that sort of money...
Thought of hiring something? Or if you are here for months, then maybe someone on KB can point you at a buy-back deal?

Atmonauti
9th April 2008, 11:17
I am here for 9ish months. then i'll probably buy a sports bike if/when im still here extending my visas and seeking residency

MSTRS
9th April 2008, 11:31
Then you need to spend some time trawling thru TardeMe...it will at least give you some ideas as to values etc
www.trademe.co.nz

Jimmy B
9th April 2008, 11:56
I follow ya there. The problem is 3k is kind of the ceiling. well its the new ceiling :S as I was hoping to find a bike for 2k.

:D

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-149190552.htm?key=241634

Something like this would be better than a 250.

JMemonic
9th April 2008, 13:21
I understand a bit better now what your requirements are, as MSTRS suggested trademe will be your friend, its the best place to find cheaper bikes. When are you heading out ? And where do you land ? I am guessing Auckland, and looking at this it would be ideal http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-149025023.htm?key=322466, any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

CookMySock
9th April 2008, 13:44
you will have no problem at all re-selling it. Slap it on trademe for $1 reserve and it's gone in a week at market value.. unlikely much less than you paid for it.

DB

Radar
9th April 2008, 14:46
Dan - save accommodation $$$ by joining Couchsurfing:
http://www.couchsurfing.com

There are no charges - its free. Legit, legal charitable status in fact.

With the $$$ you save, you can afford to buy a better bike.

You could also try WOOFing. That way you get free food as well.

Good luck and be sure to stop by Masterton for a night or two.

Atmonauti
9th April 2008, 14:47
I appreciate the help!!!!

that does look like a nice tourer.. a few kms on it.. but I think a Dual Purpose is what would treat me better hitting the occasional beach and mountain trail... though i haven't ruled out getting a street only bike.

I was half thinking about this. because its getting close to crunch time. i have been at my friends place in Auckland too long and really should just find a bike and get out on the road and out of his hair :S

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=148274446

for 3k

any thoughts? and thanks again!

CookMySock
9th April 2008, 15:12
[...] I think a Dual Purpose is what would treat me better hitting the occasional beach and mountain trail...technically, you cant really take any dual-purpose bike on public beaches or public mountain walking tracks. In fact, if you took that bike up some public walkway, quite likely you would get quite a few pissed-off comments. Different story if it was an open vehicle track, but these aren't that common.

If you were carrying a Paraglider instead of a 'chute, I would say definitely go for the dual-purpose bike, as the access this would give you would be fantastic - even the local paraglider boyz and girlz will look at you with envy if you did this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=148274446

for 3k. any thoughts? and thanks again!gee quit thanking us already, it's getting weird ok :Pokey: :pinch: Kiwis love to talk about what they know, share their fish and chips, let you sleep on their couch, cuddle their wife, show you around, and when they are sick of you they will say so, so relax and enjoy.

I would hesitate at the prospect of travelling all of NZ on that bike. Those knobbly tryes will be quite a handful on our roads.

DB
p.s cuddle other blokes' wives with due care though.. lol..

Atmonauti
9th April 2008, 16:38
heheheh sorry I just can't help myself. You all have helped me so much. I just have to express my gratitude somehow!! :D

Well I heard of some good adventure routes in New Zealand. Ways to see so much more. I was not planning on breaking any laws or making anyone upset at me. There must be some out of the way beaches that aren't public. Like "90 Mile" beach far up north. I heard people can bike along that stretch? am I wrong in assuming that?

hahaha and ya made me laugh aloud about all the "blokes wives" comment. I'll be sure to remember that :D hehehehe

edit:

i have heard those knobby tires really aren't that bad on NZ roads. Except I was advised I should watch out in wet conditions. But I have dealt with Canadian roads in wet snowing conditions so I know when to take more care.

is the wet conditions what you meant by not handling well on NZ roads.. let me know! :)

Atmonauti
9th April 2008, 16:59
heheheh sorry I just can't help myself. You all have helped me so much. I just have to express my gratitude somehow!! :D

Well I heard of some good adventure routes in New Zealand. Ways to see so much more. I was not planning on breaking any laws or making anyone upset at me. There must be some out of the way beaches that aren't public. Like "90 Mile" beach far up north. I heard people can bike along that stretch? am I wrong in assuming that?

hahaha and ya made me laugh aloud about all the "blokes wives" comment. I'll be sure to remember that :D hehehehe

munterk6
9th April 2008, 17:34
Hey Dan, be sure to stop in Christchurch too....I can help with accomadation. I can also give you info on the best routes to take in the South Island.
Hope ya have a GREAT tour of our little gem of a country!!! You DA man lol!

CookMySock
9th April 2008, 20:10
yeah knobblys on wet seal is not so good. You will be fine if you used to riding on snow + tar seal. Do be careful. :nono:

Yes, 90 mile beach is an exception - it is actually a public road. I think you might be fine on beaches perhaps - just amble off quietly out of sight before anyone can say anything..

Looks like there are many more off-road tracks than I thought. You are ahead of me on this. Most of the mountains here are Government Department (Department of Conservation) - and they will take a dim view of off-road vehicles of any type so watch out for the DoC signs.

Yes, camping is tolerated MOSTLY in remote areas. Try to make sure you are not visible from the road. Avoid lighting fires coz it spooks people.

DB

Atmonauti
9th April 2008, 22:25
hehe thanks Munter will do! :)

DB I see you have a Hyosung? how do you find it? Because I see Chinese Copy's like Hummer dual purpose and other entries on Trade me. I wonder if its worth steering clear of those sorts of bikes. out of engine fixing/break downs with no parts anywheres. or resale value to people like me not knowing anything about them and sticking with well known brands.

CookMySock
10th April 2008, 08:30
DB I see you have a Hyosung? how do you find it? I like it very much - It's my first real sport bike. The suspension is quite lumpy etc etc, but overall you turn it and it goes, and its good bang for the buck. I have not put a spanner on it in 6,000kms.

Because I see Chinese Copy's like Hummer dual purpose and other entries on Trade me. I wonder if its worth steering clear of those sorts of bikes. out of engine fixing/break downs with no parts anywheres. or resale value to people like me not knowing anything about them and sticking with well known brands.I am relieved that you have persuaded yourself already to not purchase one of them. You won't get 20km down the road before some little problem occurs, and that will be the beginning of the end.

Remember that if you buy at a good price, you will easily get your money out of it. Consider also, that you are buying in the off-season (winter) and selling in the summer, so you should, in theory, MAKE money on owning this bike.

If you are in the bay of plenty region, PM me and I will you hook you up with some great spots to camp, and some nice people to get pizza and beers with. Easy to get a bag too if you need one.

best,
DB

Atmonauti
26th April 2008, 12:39
Finally have a bike, insurance, roadside assitance and a cell phone! 0273655850

Gonna head up to Whangerei for a bit (scuba diving, surfing, skydiving maybe paragliding) and tour the northland, camp at least one night on the north point.

Anyone up in the northland that wouldnt mind a 400 following them around let me know :)

Thanks again everyone! and especially Radar! Already tried out couchsurfing and met some amazing people!!!

Dan

Radar
7th May 2008, 21:23
Thanks again everyone! and especially Radar! Already tried out couchsurfing and met some amazing people!!!

Dan

Hey, glad you are onto Couchsurfing - some really great people there, and its free!

If you get down near Wellington, PM me and I'll meet up with ya.

Check it out KB'ers:
http://www.couchsurfing.com

Atmonauti
6th July 2008, 13:39
Now I am back in Auckland and heading out on my way to tour the rest of this amazing country!!

I am heading east around the Firth of Thames and touring the Coromandel first then along the Bay of Plenty and around the East Cape. '

Depending on weather I'll stop down to Rotorua before I hit the cape or on the way back through after hitting Gisborne/ Wairoa and following back east through Lake Waikaremoana area.

I plan on hitting it all!

Taupo, Napier, Tongaririo, New Plymouth, Taranaki, Palmerson North, Masterton, Wellington. Hitting all the amazing roads and sights I can see.

Skydiving, Surfing, Skiing, Scuba diving every spot I can!

There is a huge skydiving festival in Nelson that I plan on making my way to for the end of August but other then that have no real timeline but plan on hitting the entire country thoroughly.

Anyone that wouldnt mind showing an easy going Canadian around anywheres I would be more then honoured and humbled by your generosity!

Thanks so much for your time and interest in reading this!

Dan

CookMySock
6th July 2008, 14:10
Hey Dan,

PM sent, we'll get you into the good stuff down here.

DB

Atmonauti
6th July 2008, 19:40
Thanks DB! Forgot to mention my NZ mobile number is 027 365 5850 just in case anyone wants to get a hold of me :)

Meeting you all let alone being given the chance to get a ride or two in with you on your favourite routes would be a dream come true!

Atmonauti
18th July 2008, 09:20
I figured I would put all my postings from now on in one place.

I have added photos and will add more as well!

In the Ride Report/ Tour section.

Here's the link!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=77960

I am heading out from Whakatane today and if anyone on the East Cape, Gisborne, Wairoa or Taupo would not mind meeting a traveling Canadian in the next few days just post a reply and I have someone watching my threads for me as I'll be away from a computer.