PDA

View Full Version : Milford Sound - Fuel??

Yanosh
5th April 2008, 21:12
I've read that there's no petrol station at Milford Sound?! It's about 240km's round trip from Te anau... so how the hell do I get there and back on my R1?! I'd have to barely use the throttle and coast down hill, lol :angry2:

Edbear
5th April 2008, 21:19
I know a bike not a million miles from here that will do about 280km if ridden accordingly from its 15 litre tank... 240km if pressing on a bit...;)

Ixion
5th April 2008, 21:22
Tow it behind a BMW ?

homer
5th April 2008, 21:28
just take a small 5 litre fuel can filled chocka, about 5.5 litres and put in when you get there .
Or you could always buy a bandit
they get about 240 km , oh thats with a day at the track as well

McJim
5th April 2008, 21:30
You're planning on RIDING the road to Milford Sound?!? Land of the Campers on the wrong side of the road.:gob:

You are brave. Running out of Petrol will be the least of your worries.

Seriously though - plan the trip and get a support vehicle...I mean you can afford to live in Queenstown so you've got to be worth at least $500,000 per annum. Pay someone to park a car with a 15L jerry can at Milford. Done.

Subike
6th April 2008, 02:08
fuel up at TeAnau. done that road heaps of times a few years ago om my XS11.
fuel not a worry, but then I do have a rather large fuel tank to compensate for the rather large fuel consumption.
As suggested, carry some fuel with you if you know the max range of your bike is less than the trip
because
the trip is worth the hassel!
One of the most scenic roads you will ever travel
Do take the time to visit all the little stops on the way, some will just take your inmagination past reality.
like a ten tonne marble that rolls aroung in a diningroom sized hole full of water

geoffm
6th April 2008, 08:49
When I was there a few years ago, there was a gas pump there by the pub? Expensive though, so fill up before you go in.
I stayed in the backpackers overnight, so I was going against the flow of the traffic - recommended. It is an awesome ride on a fine day - take your time the view is fantastic and very distracting.
G

Owl
6th April 2008, 09:34
Be careful when entering the Homer tunnel. It's so dark, you will not see your hand in front of your face or the light from your own headlights. It takes a few seconds for your eyes to adjust to the darkness. Fantastic journey though, so enjoy!

Balrog
6th April 2008, 09:53
Its been a couple of years since we've been down there
But last time there was a pump at the pub, self service, swipe your card and go.

As long as you had credit or eftpos card you were sweet.

The pic was taken in March 2005, but we were there in Oct 2006 and we got
gas then as well.

Jim

Vagabond
6th April 2008, 10:18
But last time there was a pump at the pub, self service, swipe your card and go.

The pic was taken in March 2005, but we were there in Oct 2006 and we got
gas then as well.

Jim

Was there in February $2 a litre though and that be 91:crybaby:

McJim
6th April 2008, 10:19
Hey Yanosh, when are you planning to go?

nodrog
6th April 2008, 10:44
did that trip 2 years ago on my RSVR, there was 91 availiable out there as people have mentioned, but we never used it, we just rode conservativly on the way out there, and left the "assertive" riding for the return trip, had to roll the last 100 odd metres into the servo in neutral.

Yanosh
6th April 2008, 13:43
Hey Yanosh, when are you planning to go?

Thinking about doing it in the next week or two if the weather's nice...

paulmac
6th April 2008, 14:04
Was there in Nov. Auto pump system. Need credit card or eftpos. Great ride and worth the effort :2thumbsup

NinjaBoy
6th April 2008, 20:26
Be careful when entering the Homer tunnel. It's so dark, you will not see your hand in front of your face or the light from your own headlights. It takes a few seconds for your eyes to adjust to the darkness. Fantastic journey though, so enjoy!

Was through there in Feb '08. Its a lot better now with tunnel lights and they've patched all the pots holes as well. Although if its raining there can be a bit of a river running through !

Another tip is to leave Te Anau before 8.30am to get a jump on all the Tour buses (like 20-30 of them in convoy). We actually stayed at a Hotel/motel in Te Anau downs about 20km out of Te Anau on the road to Milford.

Hitcher
6th April 2008, 21:19
There is a petrol pump at Milford. It requires an EFTPOS or credit card. Be prepared for a nose-bleed when you see the price, even compared to pump prices at Te Anau.

munterk6
9th April 2008, 17:44
Its all been said, but its an AWESUM ride on a good day...hope the weather doesnt pack it in soon seeing as its almost winter:crybaby:
Planning is everything... riding is something else, combine the two and its a slice of heaven :devil2:

NighthawkNZ
9th April 2008, 17:58
There is a fuel pump... not cheap... carry a small 2litre bottle (or if you really want a 5 litre gas can) thats what I did cause the vtr didn't have the range either

MaxB
9th April 2008, 20:10
Its all been said, but its an AWESUM ride on a good day...hope the weather doesnt pack it in soon seeing as its almost winter:crybaby:
Planning is everything... riding is something else, combine the two and its a slice of heaven :devil2:

Yup to planning. Gas up the night before, leave the motorcamp before dawn, blast down to the Sound before the campervan crews are even awake and back to Te Anau after doing the tourist thing. Sheer magic.

And avoid the pump at the Milford end.

chrisso
14th April 2008, 18:06
fuel up at TeAnau. done that road heaps of times a few years ago om my XS11.
fuel not a worry, but then I do have a rather large fuel tank to compensate for the rather large fuel consumption.
As suggested, carry some fuel with you if you know the max range of your bike is less than the trip
because
the trip is worth the hassel!
One of the most scenic roads you will ever travel
Do take the time to visit all the little stops on the way, some will just take your inmagination past reality.
like a ten tonne marble that rolls aroung in a diningroom sized hole full of water
They had fuel when i was there( late 80's)
but I remember it being bloody expensive-- they do have a monopoly...Also dont lose all your $$ playing pool at the pub or youll sleep the nite at the Hollyford Vly turnoff Bus Stop. And those fuckin Sandflies are mean:shit::shit:

cruza
14th April 2008, 19:07
just put a couple of 1.5l drink bottles full of gas in the backpack , works real well , and gas doesn't affect the plastic and they take the knocks , used it all the time on long range dirt bike rides on the xr600 with a std tank

limbimtimwim
14th April 2008, 19:43
Best road everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr. As in ever ever ever.

And do the boat ride too. It's worth it. Find who is running the smallest vessel you can get on. Then you are not on a boat with 300 other fucktard tourists who have all come off the same bus and hobble so slowly they take an hour to get on and off the thing. Instead you will be on the boat with a couple of dozen other randoms like yourself. And you get much much closer to the water falls in the tiny little boat.

MaxB
14th April 2008, 21:13
Best road everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr. As in ever ever ever.

And do the boat ride too. It's worth it. Find who is running the smallest vessel you can get on. Then you are not on a boat with 300 other fucktard tourists who have all come off the same bus and hobble so slowly they take an hour to get on and off the thing. Instead you will be on the boat with a couple of dozen other randoms like yourself. And you get much much closer to the water falls in the tiny little boat.

I won a bottle of Wilsons for being dumb enough to stand under a waterfall in my boxers longer than anyone else.

Yanosh
21st April 2008, 16:24
Looks like I'm heading there tomorrow... So let's hope for :sunny: and I'm sure it'll be a blast!

Yanosh
24th April 2008, 18:31
3 awesome days riding :cool:

I have no idea what some people are concerned about - the road is awesome and the small amount of traffic I did encounter was very easily passed :wari:

The homer tunnel is pretty crap, but other than that even at this time of year the riding was excellent (bit cold in the morning)... Highly recommended to anyone, no reservations!

chrisso
24th April 2008, 18:35
Bewty Mate! Awesome place eh. Did you have good weather? I hope it was all like the pic.

paulj
27th April 2008, 18:58

Jim

Agree - through there a month or so back - bit pricey but available. My R80 didn't need it but the others put a few liters in for peace of mind.