PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP Technology

pritch
5th April 2008, 23:23
“MotoGP Technology” by Neil Spalding

Technology in MotoGP is somewhat topical. In recent months Rossi has been quoted as saying the latest technological “improvements” make it difficult for a superior rider to gain time against lesser riders by virtue of skill.

BIKE magazine recently quoted Davizioso (I think it was from memory) as saying that his 800 was easier to ride than the 250 he rode last year.

Again in BIKE, Kevin Schwanz tested all of last years crop of Moto GP bikes, and also the winning 250. Schwanz's reported impression was that of all the bikes the 250 felt the most like a racebike.

Then, of course, some of the recent technological developments are increasingly finding their way on to road bikes: slipper clutches, ride by wire, and switchable power levels as per Suzuki.

So what is all this technology and how do we find out about it? That's where this book comes in.

The book covers the period of the 990 MotoGP machines. The first chapter briefly covers the history of the sport, then there is a short chapter on the rules. Successive chapters then look at each manufacturer in turn, the design decisions they made, and the compromises those decisions required. There are then chapters dealing with engine, electronics, chassis, suspension, and brakes etc.

If you recently graduated with a BE there may not be much here you don't already know. Likewise if you understand what Young's Modulus is, and why that's relevant, you probably won't gain much from reading this. Otherwise this book won't qualify you to work in the pits, but it should give you a degree of understanding as to what is happening to the bikes from a technical perspective.

The book is profusely illustrated with full colour photographs. Some of the diagrams look a bit simple perhaps but then there are some others that take some effort on the part of the reader. Nadroj was looking at the book one day recently and commented that the explanation of the “Big Bang” engines and the effect of that engine layout on traction was the clearest he had seen.

Pneumatic valves are in the news. Several times during the commentary of last weekends GP at Jerez it was mentioned that Honda were hoping to have their new engine (complete with pneumatic valves), at Estoril.

Apparently the upper rev limit possible with conventional springs is in the order of 17,000 RPM. Ducati long since adopted the desmodromic system formerly used by Mercedes, but the rest of the paddock seems increasingly to be going the way of pneumatic valves. This is not with out risk it appears. Seemingly seals cannot currently be guaranteed to keep the gas within the system so a remote reservoir containing enough gas for one hour is concealed on the bike. If the reservoir becomes depleted to the point the system cannot function properly the electronics shut the engine down. Certainly a cheaper and safer option that the alternative...

These and many other topics: traction control, ride by wire, are explained in the book.

One does wonder if MotoGP is heading in the right direction with all this technology. Formula 1 appears to be heading in the opposite direction in some respects currently. For example the cars no longer have traction control, drivers are free to spin out should they lack the required finesse to stay on the track.

Oh, and Young's Modulus? Young's Modulus defines the stiffness of materials and the rules stipulate a minimum value for some parts. There is a more comprehensive explanation in the book should you be really interested.

“MotoGP Technology” is currently available from amazon.co.uk and anywhere else you can find it.

NZsarge
6th April 2008, 03:06
Interesting, I have thought that ever since they introduced the like of traction control (TC) in particular that it's become ever so slightly ho hum in the same fashion F1 while still being enjoyable it was better before electronics took over the scene.
Also interesting now that TC is banned in F1 it's become instantly more interesting and next year all aero aids are to be banned too (other than front and rear wings).
I really feel for Moto GP they should do similar by banning TC and probably go back to 990 or 1000cc too and ban pneumatic valves too, this would help limit the power for a while by imposing a natural rev limit on the engines.

Oh, and a control tyre would'nt go amiss either.

erik
6th April 2008, 06:53
I really feel for Moto GP they should do similar by banning TC and probably go back to 990 or 1000cc too and ban pneumatic valves too, this would help limit the power for a while by imposing a natural rev limit on the engines.

I reckon it'd be more interesting as well if they banned traction control, but will it happen? Compared to F1 there's a much bigger chance of the rider being injured if the rear spins up and causes a highside vs just spinning out in F1.

NZsarge
6th April 2008, 11:06
I reckon it'd be more interesting as well if they banned traction control, but will it happen? Compared to F1 there's a much bigger chance of the rider being injured if the rear spins up and causes a highside vs just spinning out in F1.

I dunno, i think it's probably more an ease of bike control (ie: allowing more speed easier) and helping tyre wear rather than an out and out safety issue.
Maybe wrong though.

k14
6th April 2008, 11:16
HELLO!! This is top level motorbike racing, not something for your grandad to potter about in on a sunday afternoon. Its about who is the best, if they remove TC and half the field starts crashing like no tomorrow then learn to ride better!!

inlinefour
6th April 2008, 11:18
Interesting, I have thought that ever since they introduced the like of traction control (TC) in particular that it's become ever so slightly ho hum in the same fashion F1 while still being enjoyable it was better before electronics took over the scene.
Also interesting now that TC is banned in F1 it's become instantly more interesting and next year all aero aids are to be banned too (other than front and rear wings).

Oh, and a control tyre would'nt go amiss either.

I actually thought that there are still riders who are having a shit of a time getting the TC to function right and its making the beik worse that what it would be without it. I cannot remember who it was but I reciently saw a rider high side because of what his TC system did when his bike had a wee slide. Was bloody funny to watch and once I understood exactly what had happened, I'm farked if I'd ever consider TC on a road going bike of mine as the liklihood of it functioning well IMO is minimal.

R6_kid
6th April 2008, 14:29
250GP racing of late has been far more interesting on a regular basis than that shown in MotoGP. Maybe making it a more rider-focused event would help.

k14
6th April 2008, 15:46
250GP racing of late has been far more interesting on a regular basis than that shown in MotoGP. Maybe making it a more rider-focused event would help.
And along with 125 both are consistently better. At the moment motogp would rate as the most boring of the top level racing. Even F1 is better. Superbikes are just no comparison to motogp for a spectacle. Something needs to be done, they are missing the boat on this. F1 has been very proactive in the last few years with changes in lots of aspects of rules to make it more exciting. The only changes motogp have done have made it more boring imo.

pritch
6th April 2008, 16:34
Some of the crashes that have been down to the new technology were down to the "ride by wire" systems. Some of the earlier versions were very unpredictable resulting in some very wild if short rides.

I think at least some of the riders can reduce the effect of their traction control.
Nicky Haden for instance likes to be able to spin the back wheel. There was someone in last weekends race spinning the rear wheel too, can't remember who.