PDA

View Full Version : Loose part noise coming from my engine!

Emb
6th April 2008, 13:55
Hey guys

lately ive been riding and noticing a noise coming from, im guessing my engine.
its mostly noticable when i take off in first but it sounds like sumthns loose and clinking around :blink:

its slightly noticable in 2nd gear but after 3rd i hardly hear it at all.

would anyone have any idea what this cud be?

Cheers

Hitcher
6th April 2008, 14:35
Sounds suspiciously like you've got some sort of loose part there.

BadCompany
6th April 2008, 14:48
Best to take it in somewhere and get it checked, before something happens mid-ride.

klyong82
6th April 2008, 16:17
Chain slapping against the swingarm? Check your chain isn't loose

When the bike is idling can you hear the noise or is it only when you ride the bike? When you are riding the bike what happens when you pull the clutch in? Is the click click sound still there? and how many k's has your FXR done?

BASS-TREBLE
6th April 2008, 16:30
I dont know what the exhausts are like on your bike but on the mighty GN the backing plate is known to come loose which rattles only at idle because when revved the exhaust pressure pushes it out to stop rattling.
I know its random but it caught me out when it happened

motorbyclist
6th April 2008, 18:22
those FXRs are a very reliable bike!

check the chain. does the bike make the noise when stationary?

i know my one has a loose baffle in the muffler which makes a noise that could be mistaken for engine trouble by an untrained ear.

so sit it on it's sidestand and try to find the source of the noise. if that doesn't help and you're brave, and probably get a mate to help with this one, just tilt it up on the sidestand so the rear wheel is off the ground. now put it in gear and see where the noise is coming from. (good way to lube a chain too;))

Emb
6th April 2008, 22:13
i dont hear the noise when im stationary.
it might possibly be the chain, i had it tightened becuz its coming to its last years.

before i leave tomorrow il a more attention 2 the chain thnx

Nagash
6th April 2008, 22:22
Well then..

That's the third FXR that i've heard that's chewed through it's chain.

Either people who ride them rape the shit out of them, don't know how to maintain there bike or there's a design fault in there somewhere. Or coincidence?

BadCompany
6th April 2008, 22:48
New riders don't get told to lube chains.

Squiggles
6th April 2008, 22:58
I told him to and replace it if flogged :blink:

motorbyclist
6th April 2008, 23:32
Well then..

That's the third FXR that i've heard that's chewed through it's chain.

Either people who ride them rape the shit out of them, don't know how to maintain there bike or there's a design fault in there somewhere. Or coincidence?

all three:

the fxr's that you hear about are the ones owned by hoons, and it's not hard to thrash one

most learners know jack shit about things like chains, air filters etc (no offence intended)

all it takes is a learner/student who knows no better to buy a $60 chain (or cheaper) and you'll constantly hear about th chain stretching out. plus the standard one is likely to be not so flash (endless o-ring standard though)

my nc30 had serious chain issues till it ran out of adjustment (after weekly tightening) and i replaced with a $270 x-ring chain/sprocket set. done two coro loops and many weekends thrashing it over more than 4 months, plus daily commute, and only now looking at tightening for the first time since :D
money well spent

motorbyclist
6th April 2008, 23:36
i dont hear the noise when im stationary.
it might possibly be the chain, i had it tightened becuz its coming to its last years.

before i leave tomorrow il a more attention 2 the chain thnx

chain should have around 25mm (one inch) play in it vertically, and very little laterally.

is the noise only under acceleration? sure it isn't in the muffler? mind giving squiggles or myself a test ride?

I'd hate to see your bike blow up on you, i'm sure chris didn't abuse it that badly (he has a fair idea about maintenance from his dirtbikes plus common sense)

Emb
7th April 2008, 15:41
hah woke up thi morn and went up the drive way only to hear the noise again.
lookd down and the horizontal bolt that you use to tighte the chain hand gone! and the chain was very loose!
went to colemans and pickd up a new bolt, tightenedthe chain and its perfect now, no noise and the bikes a lot more responsive.
also i sprayed the wole chain and in the sprocket with crc (its the only form of chain lubing can do atm)

Squiggles
7th April 2008, 17:34
Last time yo did the chain it was overtight, check it has 2-3cm of slack midway between the sprockets, all around the length of the chain... If you overtighten it enough, that knocking will be a failing countershaft? sprocket bearing

Oh, and get some good lube, CRC does lightly oil, but nowhere near as well as a can of chain oil... its cheap and lots of different brands available, i prefer motul as it seems to fling less. Can buy lube from any bike store

Edit: Come back around some time, ill take a look at the alignment of the wheel + condition of chain

Emb
7th April 2008, 18:51
sweet, yeah i found the tightest point of the chain and got it so it had bout 2 inches of slack, adjusted both sides and the wheel see pretty straight to me.
oh yeap ill try pick sum up when i ge pad.
sure thing

motorbyclist
7th April 2008, 23:40
sweet, yeah i found the tightest point of the chain and got it so it had bout 2 inches of slack, adjusted both sides and the wheel see pretty straight to me.
oh yeap ill try pick sum up when i ge pad.
sure thing

:eek5:

you know what happens when chains come off right? they either lock the rear wheel possibly causing an accident, or they get flung through the crank case, usually writing the whole engine off in the process.

2.5cm = 1 inch. myself i run tighter but in doing so run the risk of damaging the bearings on the driveshaft. remember it tightens when you sit on it too

Ixion
7th April 2008, 23:47
No. normally when they come off, they just end up skithering around the rear hb, while you sit there going nowhere with the engine revving and an embarrased look on y' face. And have to jump off and cam the chain back on.

motorbyclist
8th April 2008, 00:36
No. normally when they come off, they just end up skithering around the rear hb, while you sit there going nowhere with the engine revving and an embarrased look on y' face. And have to jump off and cam the chain back on.

i wish! the only time that happened to me is when i took all the teeth off the rear sprocket several years ago, and then the chain never actually came off... then there was the xr100 but it didn't have the grunt nor a heavy enough chain to do any real damage

every other time had been either bike squiggly line and funny looks from pedestrians, or looking at oil leaking from the flywheel cover.

(chain comes off rear, drive sprocket revs up and sends chain flying forwards and through the engine. chain keepers help but usually they break off by breaking the threads in the main case)

besides, prepare for the worst and what's the worst that could happen?