PDA

View Full Version : My first Ducati?

madandy
6th April 2008, 20:42
This Tuesday I'm off to the Garden City to take a gander at what I hope will be my new steed. A 1995 900SS :woohoo:
By all accounts she is in good order and has been well cared for and I shall be visiting the good folk at Casbolts to check the servicing records and also Duane's Bikes and Skis to seek his valued opinion.

All going well I shall stop at my old man's just north of Kiapoi Tuesday night and ride my new Duke home Wednesday morning, catching the Inter islander for the 9:30am sailing :scooter:

Wish me luck and all advise about the bike or the roads gladly read:yes:

PS: someone buy my gixxer
:rockon:

McJim
6th April 2008, 20:45
Good on ya.

Hope you enjoy the new steed. Have you test ridden a 900cc Desmodue bike before? The reason I ask is that the power delivery is gonna be soooooo different.

desmo dave
6th April 2008, 20:48
Have you spent time on a few 900ss before to know what to expect?.Hope all goes well for you, enjoy the ride

madandy
6th April 2008, 20:50
If the engine does its bizzo between 3000 & 7000rpm I shall be well pleased :D

McJim
6th April 2008, 20:51
Have you spent time on a few 900ss before to know what to expect?.Hope all goes well for you, enjoy the ride

Yeah, Instant torque and engine braking like a mule kicking you in the stones.

Sensei
6th April 2008, 20:57
Nice bike in their day but was never going to set the world on fire . As above ride one first as they might not be what you thought they are .

madandy
6th April 2008, 21:05

Never ridden one. I've always admired them from afar and must admit to simply loving the look and sound. I've never known a person who owned one so the opportunity to spend some time on one has never been. I always take several weeks to get to know a bike reasonably well so besides the obvious things like poor performing brakes & suspension I will be going into this somewhat blind. That's why I'll be having a couple of different people have a look and if I like the ride I'll be very happy.

A big reason for me wanting a 900SS is the engine character being more suited to real world riding, my laziness with gear changing - don't really enjoy buzzing around at 10,000rpm!
If she's half as comfortable as my past bikes I reckon the sound and midrange character of the engine will keep me smiling :D

Many of us have been talking about how we ride on the roads and this is me standing up and saying I'm gonna slow down some. I just hope she's as enjoyable around bends as I've heard.

McJim
6th April 2008, 21:08
Sounds like you're buying it for the right reasons then. They are real world bikes. Not screamers. Not fixated on hp figures. Decent quality suspension and brakes as standard. Like any bike - look after all the bits and they'll look after you too. It's not a flash git hyper fast bike and doesn't claim to be. Simply put it doesn't try to be the ___est anything....which I prefer.

It'll probably be good for 240kph which is faster than you should really go on public roads anyway. Unit used to have one I think - you should ask her or DMNTD.

Dooly
6th April 2008, 21:11
Welcome to the Ducati world.

They love playing in the 3500 - 7000 rpm range best. Keep it there and have fun all day.

Duke girl
6th April 2008, 21:14
Nice choice of bike and I wish u many happy and enjoyable rides on it. Goodluck and I hope u enjoy being the owner of your very 1st of many different Ducatis, Maybe u will eventually up grade somewhere down the road to a 1098. Happy Motorcycling.

flame
6th April 2008, 21:15
Good on ya! I reckon the carburetted 900ss is a great bike. Lots of low down torque, they handle really nice once you set it up for you, and a comfy bike for long distance. Enjoy the trip back and hope you get a smooth sailing.

Dont panic when it throws a bit of a hissy fit on a frosty morning, they do that sometimes (just incase no-ones warned you).

ENJOY :2thumbsup

Sensei
6th April 2008, 21:16
You'll have to get over the front to get the best handling out of them round corners they like having weight over the front from the few Ducatis I have owned & ridden . They are fairly stiff suspension which can unsetle them when pushed hard through rough corners .

madandy
6th April 2008, 21:29
I had a YZF600R Thundercat that'd been a race bike in a fomer life. The suspension on that was way hard. I have an idea what to expect there then. My 112kg might help there.
Any one care to project the range on a tank she'll deliver?

Winston001
7th April 2008, 11:03
Any one care to project the range on a tank she'll deliver?

No idea - but if it is anything like my ST4, make a mental list of gas stations before setting off....:Punk: Mind you, that might be because I'm still in the first stages of lust and wonder at owning a Ducati and having trouble keeping the throttle closed......:done:

Beautiful bike, it will handle like a dream and there is an indefinable quality to riding a Ducati. It is quite simply a pleasure which becomes a passion.

jim.cox
7th April 2008, 11:03
Good choice - I'm sure you will love it.

Don't be too lazy with the gear changing - while the motor will work from under 2k rpm you are not doing the engine any favours - best to try to keep it spinning above 3.5k - the desmo engines were deisgned to rev

Best cornering technique is slow-in and fast-out. Uses the powerband to best advantage. They stand-up a bit on braking so grabbing a handfull mid-curve is not the best idea.

just my $0.02

madandy
7th April 2008, 11:43
No idea - but if it is anything like my ST4, make a mental list of gas stations before setting off....:Punk: Mind you, that might be because I'm still in the first stages of lust and wonder at owning a Ducati and having trouble keeping the throttle closed......:done:

Beautiful bike, it will handle like a dream and there is an indefinable quality to riding a Ducati. It is quite simply a pleasure which becomes a passion.

I dare say I'll be the same: opening her up every chance to hear the music.

Good choice - I'm sure you will love it.

Don't be too lazy with the gear changing - while the motor will work from under 2k rpm you are not doing the engine any favours - best to try to keep it spinning above 3.5k - the desmo engines were deisgned to rev

Best cornering technique is slow-in and fast-out. Uses the powerband to best advantage. They stand-up a bit on braking so grabbing a handfull mid-curve is not the best idea.

just my $0.02

I wont load her up too much, 3500rpm ain't too much to ask after riding multis for years and the late apex, slow in fast out technique suits me just fine :cool:

MyGSXF
7th April 2008, 12:01
all advise about the roads gladly read:yes:

Yep.. Went down the Kaikoura coastline on Fri, there is quite a lot of roadworks on the Hundalee's..:crybaby: (the hills ChCh side of Kaikoura) Also the stretch of road up the coast from there to Kaikoura is now an 80k zone.. cops like to frequent it.. :spanking:

Enjoy ya new ride.. :ride:

Jen :rockon:

madandy
7th April 2008, 13:33
Thanks Jen. I'll be upon the Hundaless quite early in the morning too so will take it easy :baby:
Been a while since I last saw the coast line there so a nice wee pootle along the scenic route is finw so long as the roads inland, nearer Blenhiem are still in good condition ;)

MyGSXF
7th April 2008, 14:04
as the roads inland, nearer Blenhiem are still in good condition ;)

Yep.. the hill just outta Blenheim was all good!! :2thumbsup for some reason my boots seem to like connecting with the road on that one.. :whistle:

madandy
10th April 2008, 11:38
Well I got my new baby home last night!

Left Christchurch, well Kiapoi area at 5:45am and rode through the darkness towards the Hundalee's. The old girl tackled them with aplomb and shimmied her way through gravel patches & patchy road works as the light began to increase. The easy going nature of the engine made gear choice a breeze and a good handfull of throttle always put a big grin on my face as we bolted from bend to bend.
I saw the sun rising over the Pacific as I cruised the Kaikora coastline, stopping a couple of times to snap some photos and change to my tinted visor.
I refueled at Ward because I forgot to do so at Kaikora and with the low fuel light on I doubted I could nurse her through to Blenheim. I think I paid $2.04L for 95RON! LOL.
The wonderful Malborough roads were too short lived and I soon was parked in the ferry que by 8:50am. A dude on a Hyosung Aquilla was my only two wheeled company.
Wellington welcomed us with a cool breeze and free flowing motorway North.
Said Aquilla rider paced me through towards Levin, as did a bloke on a yellow CBRxxx before I'd had enough of the game and let my Ducati breathe some :D
Hunterville provided more fuel for both myself and the bike before roaring up through the cold central plateau, no tickets thanks ;) and into Taupo for another tank, this time Mobil 98Ron.
I should have switched back to my clear visor at this stop but forged ahead into sunset and the hoards of flying roadkill that just love a bright light and big helping of motorcylist impacting at high velocity.
These roads were most familiar to me and at Rotorua I halted briefly to fit that clear visor before heading into the gloom of Pyes Pa road and it's treacherous gorge.
Out the otherside, muscling past slower vehicles and safely home, I'm sure I passed DMNTD on his Brutale by the Tauranga Hospital!!! I'm sure he was admiring my new steed!!! I was drawn by the MV's beautiful headlight.
Home to my family in a roar of twin cylinder thunder! A great journey :D

Thanks to all who offered advise through their posts, PM's and phone calls.
I LOVE my new Ducati!

Andy

Cajun
10th April 2008, 11:40
nice one Andy hope ya enjoy the new steed

post pics of bike when ya get a chance mate

vifferman
10th April 2008, 11:43
Yeah, and update your profile.
Have you got some boots yet, or are you still riding barefoot? :spudwhat:

madandy
10th April 2008, 11:49
nice one Andy hope ya enjoy the new steed

Thanks dude!
Will do.
Will be at the office and drivers tonight :D

Yeah, and update your profile.
Have you got some boots yet, or are you still riding barefoot? :spudwhat:

Yes sir!
I got me some Oxtar evo rx boots that I bring out for the special occasions and for when it's cold :innocent:

Cajun
10th April 2008, 11:50
Thanks dude!
Will do.
Will be at the office and drivers tonight :D

me bike still in pieces being cleaned and fixed up, and got an it geek quiz thingy tonight

desmo dave
10th April 2008, 15:22
Good to see you happy with your new ride.They all come factory fitted with the grin factor built in

2wheeldrifter
10th April 2008, 21:05
Glad you had a safe trip and sounds like a very enjoyable ride back, well it would of been on a Duke!
I am taking it, it's all stock? If it hasn't got aftermarket pipes or your stock ones haven't been re-cored, "DO IT" let the true sound out and you will NEVER wipe that grin off your face!!!

Oh what colour is it............ :whistle:

McJim
10th April 2008, 21:12
You sound stoked. I'm so pleased. :)

T.W.R
10th April 2008, 21:42
They all come factory fitted with the grin factor built in

Too true :niceone:

A mate had a 96 900SP which was a pretty sweet bike, he sold it now he's trying to buy it back again coz he misses it so much :doh:

But a Bevel barking a glorious chorus from a set on contis is the Bizz :2thumbsup :blip:

heads away :crybaby:

McJim
10th April 2008, 22:01
With the prices of Desmodue Ducatis these days it's a cheap way to get a big grin bike. There's even a 1998 FE for only $7,500 up at Haldane's :drool: spotted that the other day and the wife told me to stop surfing retardme since we are skint.

jim.cox
11th April 2008, 08:46
A mate had a 96 900SP which was a pretty sweet bike, he sold it now he's trying to buy it back again coz he misses it so much :doh:

Rule #1: Never sell a Ducati
Rule #2: Always obey rule #1

Dooly
11th April 2008, 09:12
Some folk say the cam belt changes etc are a pain in the butt for maintinance etc on Ducs.
Took me 5mins to remove the fairings last night, 5 mins to change the belts.
Doing other bits on it still so left fairings off.
All good!
Sounded wicked revving in the shed last night with the carbon cans on!

Winston001
11th April 2008, 09:24
Congratulations Madandy, you'll be well pleased with your decision. Welcome to the club.

I was talking to a chap recently who traded his Paseo on a new BMW GS1100 a few years ago. He loves the BMW but........that Ducati itch just needs to be scratched. I'm picking he will have one very soon to sit beside the BM.

McJim - Rogers Yamaha still have two ST4 bikes which have been sitting there for 3 months. I know they want to turn them over and having ridden the red one, can't see why they haven't sold. I think they paid too much and neither bike has panniers.....but hey, a sale is a sale. Kevin is a decent bloke and a realist....

vifferman
11th April 2008, 10:19
...that Ducati itch just needs to be scratched.
Yeah...
Even though I'm happy with the VFR, I've got an itch to own a Ducati (I've had the keyring since 1994!)
Of course, the VFR is "the last bike you'll ever have!" :Pokey:
Just like the last three or four bikes. :rolleyes:
If we weren't off to Urp in August, I reckon I could swing it with the vifferbabe.
As long as it was the right colour, of course (so not silver).
And the right model, of course - nothing 'unattractive' like a 999, HyerRetard or MouldyStrada.

madandy
11th April 2008, 19:29
Good to see you happy with your new ride.They all come factory fitted with the grin factor built in

I keep her under a red cotton sheet and grin like a loon just thinking she's in my garage under that sheet!

Glad you had a safe trip and sounds like a very enjoyable ride back, well it would of been on a Duke!
I am taking it, it's all stock? If it hasn't got aftermarket pipes or your stock ones haven't been re-cored, "DO IT" let the true sound out and you will NEVER wipe that grin off your face!!!

Oh what colour is it............ :whistle:

All stock, with SL carbon front mudguard and chain drive sprocket cover.
I will re-core ASAP. There are de-baffle kits on Tard me, are they a good option or is there a better way?

She's RED od course :D

You sound stoked. I'm so pleased. :)

I am indeed sir, thankee.

Rule #1: Never sell a Ducati
Rule #2: Always obey rule #1

I shall abide by these rules!
Is it ok to trade up to another, greater Duke though?

Some folk say the cam belt changes etc are a pain in the butt for maintinance etc on Ducs.
Took me 5mins to remove the fairings last night, 5 mins to change the belts.
Doing other bits on it still so left fairings off.
All good!
Sounded wicked revving in the shed last night with the carbon cans on!

I'm sure the belts are easier to change than a timing chain and/or tensioner down the middle of a I4 mota.

Congratulations Madandy, you'll be well pleased with your decision. Welcome to the club.

Thank you indeed :)
My partner Sharon has a renewed 'need' to pillion on weekends to country pubs and wishes me to find her a 400ss or 600ss, lol.

2wheeldrifter
11th April 2008, 19:58
All stock, with SL carbon front mudguard and chain drive sprocket cover.
I will re-core ASAP. There are de-baffle kits on Tard me, are they a good option or is there a better way?

She's RED od course :D

Yep that's Sean from Trademe, does a real good job and sound so sweet, and they do get even better after time. I"m Tok and sent them to him and he did them in week turn around.
Other option is full aftermarket slip-on's which can cost from $1400 up to $2500.

If you wanted to hear what they sound like, just pop over the hill and you can hear them on a ST4s and what Staintune sound on a ST2. Which I have the pipes of the ST2 what Sean did, have no idea if they fit a 900????
"RED"..... Well let ya off, it's Italian V-twin after all! :2thumbsup

madandy
11th April 2008, 20:06
Just may have to come for a ride to Tokoroa some time!

2wheeldrifter
11th April 2008, 21:19
Just pm me if heading this way, otherwise just get the pipes done.... is worth it, you will love downshifting:rolleyes:

helenoftroy
11th April 2008, 21:59
The easy going nature of the engine made gear choice a breeze and a good handfull of throttle always put a big grin on my face as we bolted from bend to bend.

I LOVE my new Ducati!

Andy

I know exactly what you mean-have only had mine for a short time.:banana::banana:

Every ride I enjoy and love this bike more and more....:love:

DMNTD
11th April 2008, 22:12
Out the otherside, muscling past slower vehicles and safely home, I'm sure I passed DMNTD on his Brutale by the Tauranga Hospital!!! I'm sure he was admiring my new steed!!! I was drawn by the MV's beautiful headlight.

Heh! Sexy time brother!! I thought it was thee I saw.
The first thing I did on Thursday night at Drivers was to go directly to your new machine...possibly the tidiest 900SS I've seen,serious.
Looking forward to going out for a wee pootle sometime soon. :shifty:

Welcome to the Tga Poseur Crew™,Andy :devil2:

madandy
12th April 2008, 08:36
Heh! Sexy time brother!! I thought it was thee I saw.
The first thing I did on Thursday night at Drivers was to go directly to your new machine...possibly the tidiest 900SS I've seen,serious.
Looking forward to going out for a wee pootle sometime soon. :shifty:

Welcome to the Tga Poseur Crew™,Andy :devil2:

:clap: Thanks man! :clap:

Time for some serious wax attention today. I shall remove the fairings and give the front cylinder a good scrub too :whistle:

popelli
12th April 2008, 09:06
great bike 900ss ducati

grossly underrated by the bike press

in real world situations like on the road they have more than adecuate power, brilliant handling and that great exhaust note, something no multi can remotely even imitate

bought a 900ss a year ago and have had no problems at all with it, wish I could say the same for some of the jap bikes I have owned in the past

madandy
22nd April 2008, 21:19
Just thought I'd slip a few pics of the Duke, on my ride home from the Garden City, in here rather than start a new thread - although I love this machine enough to do so :love:

DUCATI*HARD
22nd April 2008, 22:02
i like your style;)