PDA

View Full Version : Hand driving styles

Antallica
19th August 2003, 23:06
I find myself riding with just my right hand mostly with my lefty resting at my side... thought about you guys and had me wondering.

Lefties being the lucky ones with screw knobs on the throttles... aka. - cruise control! :D

twistymover
20th August 2003, 01:37
Two hands could conceivably be handy at some stage of a ride?

What?
20th August 2003, 06:14
Originally posted by Antallica
Lefties being the lucky ones with screw knobs on the throttles... aka. - cruise control!

2 types of truckies out there: Those who do not do this, and the soon to be deceased.

Personally, I'm with Twisty - one hand on each grip:beer:

jrandom
20th August 2003, 08:45
I find myself riding with just my right hand mostly with my lefty resting at my side...

You gonna die, boy.

Riding with one hand is for Captain America wannabe Harley riders, anyway. Bleeeurrrgh. Don't go to the dark side. Next thing you know, you'll be trading the FXR in for a GZ250 and buying leathers with tassles.

What you gonna do when something unexpected happens and you need to swerve suddenly to the left, anyway?

Dave
20th August 2003, 09:04
I ride with 2 hands mostly,but some times i ride with none-followed seconds later by my hitting the ground.
(look ma-i can fly)

Duke of Rogan
20th August 2003, 09:23
no hands, too busy holding cheeseburger in left and beer in right.

Mitch
20th August 2003, 09:32
Originally posted by Dave
I ride with 2 hands mostly,but some times i ride with none-followed seconds later by my hitting the ground.
(look ma-i can fly)

I'm with Dave!!!!  Each time I see some one with their hands off the bars that old saying 'LOOK MA NO HANDS........................  LOOK MA NO BIKE!!!!'  goes through my head.  :buggerd:  

I crash often enough with both hands on the bars!!!!!!!!!!  :rolleyes:  :eek: :rolleyes:

Oscar
20th August 2003, 09:55
I find myself riding with just my right hand mostly with my lefty resting on my dick... thought about you guys and had me excited.

Fixed it fer ya...

duckman
20th August 2003, 10:12
Having just read the thread about "asian drivers" and then reading this one - I'm gunna go with... "are you firkin nuts??" Between the crazy cage drivers, shitty roads ands tempramental weather I'll be riding with two hands. (except when I'm flickin the bird)

Duke of Rogan
20th August 2003, 10:59
Originally posted by Oscar
Fixed it fer ya...

:D

fergie
20th August 2003, 11:22
I keep both hands on the bars except when i wave to another rider or when i give a one fingered salute to some deserving cage driver!

Antallica
20th August 2003, 11:28
I only use my righty only when cruising on a straight. Me and my mate rode to Whangaparoa one handed most of the way, then again we were maxed out in the gears anyways :(

Don't worry guys, I'm a two handed nutter still!

Dave
20th August 2003, 12:54
I've done the one handed waving at the crowd thing with my knee down just to see if you can-thats kinda cool.
-after the race though, not during.that'd be too wanky

Big Dog
20th August 2003, 13:06
Once saw a rider take both hands off at 50+ks to take off his bag look in it put it back on....... Thought to myself temporary kiwi:gob:

He disappears from view....

A few seconds later SKIIIIID CRASH!

Judging from the skid marks he did not know there was a compulsory stop at the bottom of the street.

Despite what would have been abject misery for him I had to lmao, becase look mum no hands, look mum no bike, look no teeth

No sympathy for the terminally stupid:done:

Antallica
20th August 2003, 17:29
Now taking off the bag and having a fiddle was just dumb. I do no-handers all the time, he was a dick. I'm not that shit of a rider, really... just need some balls on those fast tight corners.

*wais for next Puke meet

SPman
20th August 2003, 19:08
I use no hands, except when I'm riding..

:o

:confused:

Mitch
20th August 2003, 19:32
Originally posted by SPman
I use no hands, except when I'm riding.. 

SPman are you saying you can masterbate with your feet  LMAO  :eek:

Now that I would like to see..................... :o  :o  Wellll Ummmm You know what I mean  :Oops:

SPman
20th August 2003, 19:45
:D

Kwaka-Kid
20th August 2003, 20:34
AHAHAH Oscar u are a funny dude! - better b @ the bbq!! hahaha

only problem is i have poor co-ordination with left hand.. so unfortuantly there isnt a lot it can do but sit @ my left side... bahaha!

anyways WTF? i thought this was about drivin cars? who DRIVES a bike? i sure as hell dont! :gob:

Big Dog
21st August 2003, 18:49
Good to see you have brains as well as balls!:niceone:
He didn't = no sympathy.

4skins
22nd August 2003, 16:48
I find myself riding with just my right hand mostly with my lefty resting at my side... :D

DickHead

The reason you ARE able to do this is probably because you never get your sad excuse for a motorcycle out of 3rd gear. At any speed over 100k, you NEED to hang on with both hands for control.

And the other thing: DRIVE a car, sail a yacht, fly an aeroplane and RIDE a motorcycle. Repeat that last bit...RIDE a motorcycle :argh:

Nouseforaname
22nd August 2003, 17:15
cheer up 4skin..... any motorbike is a good bike... as long as it is a bike :-) i notice you have no road bikes....

4skins
22nd August 2003, 17:17
Doesn't mean I don't ride on the road tho

bikerboy
22nd August 2003, 17:31
Another polite Willytonian. No road bikes but rides on roads. hmmmm, Since ANY bike legally on the road is a road bike that must mean illegally.

Perhaps 4skins should post in the Off road sectionwith all the other Mucho Macho bikers.?

:Offtopic: , What ever happened to the other polite Welly scrutineers (bikers) that were once so prolific ?:whocares:

Oscar
22nd August 2003, 17:59
Originally posted by bikerboy
Another polite Willytonian. No road bikes but rides on roads. hmmmm, Since ANY bike legally on the road is a road bike that must mean illegally.

Perhaps 4skins should post in the Off road sectionwith all the other Mucho Macho bikers.?

I'd rather be a "Mucho Macho" dirt rider that a poofta pastabike poseur...

Go back to angle grinding yer knee scrapers, Dorklander..

Antallica
22nd August 2003, 19:01
All I can say is WHEN I come off doing a one hander then you can all laugh.

But anyways, I got myself off on the wrong foot, I actually only sometimes do a one hander. Sometimes no handers to adjust my gloves. But my bike only wqeights about 125kg so I 'aint controlling a hefty mofo with one hand. Easy on this 150.

But settle down 4skins, no need to get aggitated man, and I have done 6th gear doing 130km/hr just casually resting my hand on the side. It's not hard to control on a stright ;)

Redstar
22nd August 2003, 21:38
Being a southpaw but ambidextourious I can get very confused at times I like to remove both hands occassionally to test frount wheel alinement only and do that rossie thing at the end op a GP and see all the folks do WOW what a dare devil!
and then its really the knees that hold the bike straight and narrow. but anyway how can you reach the bars when your standing on the seat?:rockon:

PZR
22nd August 2003, 22:08
:eek: WHAAAAT!!!!! You mean its possible to ride a motorbike without holding on tightly with two hands:gob:
Geez maybe I can take the trainer wheels of in a year or so, now I know that

Andrew
22nd August 2003, 22:48
heres an idea,
Riding with both hands on the handle bars except left hand is on right handle bar and vice versa. Anybody game to try it!

Antallica
22nd August 2003, 23:04
Originally posted by Andrew
heres an idea,
Riding with both hands on the handle bars except left hand is on right handle bar and vice versa. Anybody game to try it!

I think I've had my leftie on the throttle before, can't remember why. But hey it's a 150, balancing isn't hard :rolleyes:

bikerboy
22nd August 2003, 23:26
BOO HOO HOO

:whistle:

Kwaka-Kid
23rd August 2003, 07:28
i actually find it the other way around Ant... on my CB250 being so light it was all scetchy sorta thing.. on the old GPZ750 it was perfect to go no hands, not that i did it lots, only whe ni forgot to do up zip fully, or somthing like that, and id wait till road was clear as, or preferably a traffic light.  Anyways leave ant alone :) 4skins dont get too worked up dude :) we like to play nice in this little play-pen

MikeL
23rd August 2003, 08:53
Hey Andrew, got a new bike? :niceone:

Still got the RGV??

georgedubyabush
23rd August 2003, 09:44
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
i actually find it the other way around Ant... on my CB250 being so light it was all scetchy sorta thing.. on the old GPZ750 it was perfect to go no hands

like the Goldwingers that put on cruise control and sit up in the back seat.

750Y
23rd August 2003, 14:07
Occasionally on a long trip, if I've got plenty of space on the highway and I'm cruising at the legal limit, I'll rest my left elbow & forearm on the tank to take the weight off my wrists for a short spell. This is only on long straights though. I find my bike can get really uncomfortable at low speed on the open road after a couple hours riding. I choose the time/place carefully, as it obviously gives You less control than two hands. If I rode a touring bike i'd probably never need to do so but the latest sportbikes are hard work touring with. I also find myself standing up on the pegs sometimes to give the backside a quick rest and to stretch the legs.

Zed
28th January 2004, 15:17
I find myself riding with just my right hand mostly with my lefty resting at my side... thought about you guys and had me wondering.

Lefties being the lucky ones with screw knobs on the throttles... aka. - cruise control! :D
Gidday Antallica,

Sometimes I take my left hand off to have a quick stretch or sit very upright for a spell, but not much longer than 10-20 secs at a time.

Also, my bike is great for "no hands", but I also only do this temporarily when I need a stretch or have to pull down my jacket after a quick sprint! :sweatdrop

Do you use only 1 hand because you are disabled or something? Maybe you suffer cramps? I replaced my '92 GSXR750 because of cramps on long trips- footpegs too high, etc. I really can't see that 1 hand would be more comfortable or beneficial to the overall riding experience? Rather boring actually!

Zed

wkid_one
28th January 2004, 16:30
heres an idea,
Or try using your feet to operate the hand controls and your hands for the foot controls

I often ride with only my throttle hand....but then when I was riding the R1 is was good to take weight off the wrists.

Also - the odd no hander esp when throttling off in to towns etc to stretch the back out.

Coldkiwi
28th January 2004, 17:06
I agree with the other sportriders here. things like gsxr's, R1's etc do put a lot of weight on the wrists and a crick in the neck on straight roads. I routinely have the left hand off and resting to allow me to sit up a little more.

and if you can't take a hand off and ride at least to 130kph on a straight road on a 600cc+ bike, I have concerns about your riding ability (or the mechanical stability of ya bike!)

riffer
28th January 2004, 20:54
Mostly both hands, but like the other sports bike riders I get sore wrists and have to ride just with the one hand occasionally.

When I throttle off going into a 50km/h area I will take my hands off the bars for a stretch too.

Funny though, my left wrist and hand hardly ever get sore - I wonder if this is due to repetitive strain from at least 20 years of computers and 30+ years of guitar playing.

Do any other sports bike riders get more sore in one hand or the other?

marty
28th January 2004, 21:41
i note there's no harley riders in here - the answer would be obvious anyway :)

Jackrat
28th January 2004, 21:58
Tried to hold the throttle with me left hand while I dug a coin out of me pocket with me right hand once. :shit: NEVER NEVER do that!!.Now I hang on with both hands and any toll collector can just bloody wait.

onearmedbandit
28th January 2004, 23:21
Well its pretty fuckin obvious how many hands I ride with. And for all those that doubt a bike can be properly controlled with one hand, come for a ride with me. I'm no track demon, but can set and keep a rapid pace, all with one hand on the bars. (Got no choice really!)

Jackrat
29th January 2004, 06:54
Well its pretty fuckin obvious how many hands I ride with. And for all those that doubt a bike can be properly controlled with one hand, come for a ride with me. I'm no track demon, but can set and keep a rapid pace, all with one hand on the bars. (Got no choice really!)

Many respects mate :niceone:
If you don't mind me asking,how do you have your bike set up??

MikeL
29th January 2004, 07:37
Like others here I often take both hands off when throttling back, but I sometimes wonder whether I could be done for some vague regulation in the Road Code about not having proper control of the bike. I recall reading a post on an American bike forum where a rider got ticketed for that reason. Anyone here heard of such a thing?

Jackrat
29th January 2004, 07:47
Like others here I often take both hands off when throttling back, but I sometimes wonder whether I could be done for some vague regulation in the Road Code about not having proper control of the bike. I recall reading a post on an American bike forum where a rider got ticketed for that reason. Anyone here heard of such a thing?

Well a mate of mine once got done for standing on the seat waving has arms about.The cop was siting behind me in a plain car,I knew who he was but my fool mate found out the hard way.Man was that cop pissed off or what :lol:

riffer
29th January 2004, 08:44
Makes you wonder what you would get if you attempted a "Christ" down Lambton Quay :eek5:

riffer
29th January 2004, 08:44
Apart from the blindingly obvius, which is you'd hit something and fall off. :(

Motoracer
29th January 2004, 10:03
Well a mate of mine once got done for standing on the seat waving has arms about.The cop was siting behind me in a plain car,I knew who he was but my fool mate found out the hard way.Man was that cop pissed off or what :lol:

I just remebered a funny story.

Couple of us (few mates and I) used to fool around on the bikes while riding by doing things like sitting on top of the fuel tank while haveing your legs dangle infront of the bike, try to stand up while the bike was going, try to mimic a super man by lying down on a bike with the legs resting on the passenger seat and chest on the fule tank etc...

Well one day I decided to be an idiot and I was doing the superman thing on the motorway going at a fair bit of speed for a while. then I slowed down and droped back to 100 (still looking like an idiot lying down on the bike). A van full of cops (in uniform) drove right next to me and they were all staring at me smileing away. 1 of them even pointed his finger at me. I must have passed these guys just before. It was the funniest moment I tell ya.

I just stuck behind that van until they took the off ramp cause didn't want my rego taken.

Now before people tell me things like "your gonna die" or make masturbation jokes, I don't do it anymore.

kasper
29th January 2004, 10:25
heres an idea,

I did that 2 months after geting my licence.
I had just bought a new technics jacket and decided to open the left arm air zip, but I didn't want to slow down, so I held the throtle with my left hand and opend the air zip with my right hand. well you can imagine what hapened. My first trip to the hospital due to motorbikes. :doctor:

Didn't stay long though, only 2 hours, and then I walked back to the bike with the mud guard over my shoulder. ended up riding the bike back with the mud guard atached to my key ring :)

Racer X
30th January 2004, 22:14
Theres nothing wrong with riding with the left hand on throttle. I do it all the time cos its good to give the right hand a bit of a break. Try cornering like that for added excitement!

Redstar
30th January 2004, 23:06
I am a quite conservative rider but when I was a member of the lesser spotted 50cc gang in 1974 when abba won the eurovision song contest and me mate had a gillera 50cc and another had a yamaha FS1E
and I had a honda ss50 i digress a bit well we used to stand on the seats it was fun to stand on your seat at 40klms / hr and wave your arms,
well now I still have this desire to stand on my seat. but sanity prevails
however i have really no problem with releaseing both arms and coasting the bike in a straight line. In fact its a good test of the front end trueness.
and it some time suprises me that many fear the outcomes of releasing the bars completely. but its what your comfortable with really and what you need to do at the time. you need to be confident to release either hand to extra signal your turning or stopping intentions should the need arise.
in days gone by indicators on bike were non existent and hand signals were part of a test. and personally under some conditions I dont rely on those little orange winks.
we need to practice using incremental hand signals left or right so the confidence to release either hand is an essential part of advanced riding tecnique according to me.(coldkiwi your comment?please)

FROSTY
10th June 2004, 23:19
waaay back when I were a lad I used to run michellen
a48 m49 combination on the XJ's I rode.
They were pretty good tyres in their day but did lose pressure.
You could tell when the front had lost 2 psi because the bike used to get a nasty little headshake at 50km/h when ya took ya hands off the bars.It was my test as I rode up the road from home-never needed fancy pressure gauges

Kickaha
11th June 2004, 09:06

Used to have a guy ride with the Ducati club down here who only had one arm,originally he had a Darmah then he went to a Paso and he certainly wasn't slow,I remember chasing him (Private road of course :msn-wink: ) at speeds 200km+

And there's another who races a KTM or Husky trail bike with BEARs

Posh Tourer :P
11th June 2004, 17:31
Hey theres enough posts for me to read already without you lot resurrecting old threads.....

bros400
11th June 2004, 18:10
I ride one handed sometimes if the sun is in my eye's use the free hand to shade my eye's..

the rest of the time its two hands on the bar's.. . enough crazzy drivers out there, need to be able to stop as fast as i can.

Dan

erik
13th June 2004, 08:08
One thing I was thinking about:

When you have to stop quickly and you're riding with one hand, how do you brace yourself to keep from sliding forwards?
With two hands, a lot of your weight goes on your arms when stopping, but with only one hand you'd only be pushing on one handlebar, making you turn. So I guess you couldn't put so much weight on your arms?

Mongoose
13th June 2004, 09:00
Some of you guys seem to forget that the word *handlebars* derives from the word *Hand*, there could be a reason for this you think? :doh:

wkid_one
13th June 2004, 10:06

When you have to stop quickly and you're riding with one hand, how do you brace yourself to keep from sliding forwards?
With two hands, a lot of your weight goes on your arms when stopping, but with only one hand you'd only be pushing on one handlebar, making you turn. So I guess you couldn't put so much weight on your arms?
Use your legs and core strength my man......at least take SOME of the weight off your wrists.

onearmedbandit
17th June 2004, 00:14

If that was refering to me, well 7yrs of doing everything with one arm has built up my upper body strength. I'll get one thing straight now, I would not be riding a bike if I didn't believe I could control it properly. Braking hard, and I can onearm stoppie though I don't make a habit of it, is to me anyway no harder or difficult than with two arms. I have no probs with left or right turns, with the front picking up or the back breaking loose (at lowish speeds) out of corners. I've landed wheelies at open road speed limits crossed up and not a problem. I prefer to keep both wheels on the deck, but sometimes you just can't resist. I'm not saying its for everyone, but I've adapted to my circumstances.

Someone asked how I have my bike setup, heres a pic. Note the reverse clutch-lever, operated by my thumb. Believe me, clutching downshifts while blipping the throttle and grabbing a handful of brakes keeps you alert!!

onearmedbandit
17th June 2004, 00:15
BTW, that lever is filed back to a smooth edge all round, hard to tell in the photo.

riffer
17th June 2004, 07:55
That's impressive, onearmedbandit. Kudos to you. :first:

phil_elvey
17th June 2004, 16:20
I was watching Mission Impossible II and Cruise (or rather, his stunt double) does this mint stoppie and then goes single armed to shoot down the bad dudes while instigating a 180 degree pivot on the front wheel to drop down and blast off the other way. He does a number of other stunts (jumps etc.) also while using his beloved pistol.

Hey OAB, if you ever get a bionic arm in the future you could be cruise's stunt double for MI:3!!

vifferman
17th June 2004, 16:28
I was watching Mission Impossible II and Cruise (or rather, his stunt double) does this mint stoppie and then goes single armed to shoot down the bad dudes while instigating a 180 degree pivot on the front wheel to drop down and blast off the other way. He does a number of other stunts (jumps etc.) also while using his beloved pistol.
I haven't rewatched this, but apparently he does a stoppie and then shoots with the pistol in his RIGHT hand?!?

Big Dog
17th June 2004, 19:13
I haven't rewatched this, but apparently he does a stoppie and then shoots with the pistol in his RIGHT hand?!?
Now that you mention it you are totally corect on that call. :killingme.

Big ups for overcoming one of lifes rather large hurdles OAB!

Skyryder
17th June 2004, 20:10
Or try using your feet to operate the hand controls and your hands for the foot controls

You too wkid?? And here's me thinking I had a unique riding style.

Skyryder

onearmedbandit
17th June 2004, 21:03
Thanks for the comments guys. For the most part I ride well within reason, sure like most here I love corners, but when the right time/place combo comes up, well who really can resist. Thats why we ride these machines, they are performance bikes.

Want a really great feeling without drugs, have something you love taken away from you, only to claw and fight your way to getting it back and doing it. While I love my g/f and my daughter more than anyone or anything, nothing can replace the feeling of being back on a bike.

Bob
26th June 2004, 22:56
I think I've had my leftie on the throttle before, can't remember why.

You weren't riding an old Brit bike or something? Indians were all back to front with their control as well.

But back on the subject - both hands on at all times. Lot of my riding is commuting in and out of London (me and a couple of million others), so I can't relax for a moment! Never know when I'm going to need to swerve, brake, downchange - and sometimes all three at once!

If I am greeting someone, nod of the head is what they get.

Indiana_Jones
26th June 2004, 23:42
I sometimes, when going down straits, use my left hand to whip my fxr in the behind in a hopeless atempt for more speed :D

-Indy

NC
13th September 2004, 15:37
Most of the time I hoon down the Kaimai's, but when I can't be bothered with the trucks and cage driver. I sit behind them In a high gear doing dance moves while listening to the MP3 player... :banana:

I think I was dropped on my head too much as a child... :eek5:

Motoracer
3rd December 2004, 14:36
Check out this dude and his hand "driving" styles.

I have tried this on the MTB and let me tell you that, it is a F'in impossible maneuver!!
http://www.stuntlife.com/gallery/data/512/4701Todd_cross_stoppie_point_1-med.jpg

Sorry for draggin an old thread out but I didn't wana start a whole new one just for this pic.

bear
3rd December 2004, 14:45
Damn, that's cool!

Big Dog
13th December 2004, 16:40
[size=2]I have tried this on the MTB and let me tell you that, it is a F'in impossible maneuver!!

perhaps thats why that was a picture instead of a video?

RiderInBlack
13th December 2004, 19:00
What a old thread. Had to blow the dust off to read the other pages.

Mainly both hands. I like to keep the left hand handy to the clutch (don't want to get caught out if the motor siezes). Will do right only on the long empty straights and left only when I need to get Throttle cramp out of the right hand.

Sweet Pic by the way MR:Punk:

inlinefour
15th December 2004, 00:52
Watched a doco on driving by Peter Brook who discussed the safest way to drive. He would agree with both hands and I doubt he is a sissy either. Yea at times I have to change gear, but thats life :mobile: :killingme