PDA

View Full Version : VTR struggling at 100km/h

horch
7th April 2008, 13:55
Hi all,

Hoping I wouldnt be posting a mechanical issue this early on.

2 weeks ago I got a Honda VTR 250, year 2000.

She's my first bike, so I'm not so clued up on motorcycle mechanics (yet).

Have been riding around town with no worries, but on the weekend took up her out on the open road.

The problem was getting upto 100km/h, and maintaining that speed. At first I was being cautious (as the weather decided to bucket down - surface water etc). But as it somewhat dried out and I got more confident - I wanted to see how she went. There was a fair amount of head wind and drag from my 6ft, 85kg frame - but she just struggled. esp uphill or exposed areas - which is understandable to a point. Getting to 80-90 in 4th is not a problem - snds to be revving hard out (but without a rev counter hard to know). Changing into fifth it just doesnt accelerate much/anymore more.

Having read people on the forum getting these bikes upto 150, I doubt my bike is behaving normally.

I did a search and read some posts about ignition sys, spark plugs, and slipping clutches?? But without any real knowledge of V-twins or motorbike engines I'm completely guessing?

Any ideas??

JeremyW
7th April 2008, 15:02
If it had just rained down you may have got some water in the carbs. Water is a poor fuel and may have contributed to your lack of power.

Check your tank and try to see if you have any leaks.
Check your intake manifolds and airbox to make sure they are all sealed up and tight.
Drain the float bowls on the carbs by loosening the small grub screw at the bottom of the carb. (try to catch the fuel that comes out and dont do it when the engine is hot!)

Hopefully this helps.

vifferman
7th April 2008, 16:37
The fact that you say it "sounds like it's revving hard out in 4th" makes me think it's not the engine misbehaving, but without more info, it's hard to say what your problem is.
I had problems with my VTR1000 in the wet, where there was a tiny tear in the boot on the front cylinder's sparkplug, which somehow let a wee bit of moisture in. (I'm blowed if I know how, as the bit that was torn was way down the sparkplug well, and I'd sprayed it with WD40, CRC, whatever, and the heat from the engine should've meant it was dry anyway). But (however!), whenever I rode in the rain, it would misfire really badly, so it was only 17.3 hp, instead of the usual 219. :rolleyes: I replaced the sparkplug lead + boot, and the problem evaporated.

007XX
7th April 2008, 17:05
I'm sorry I can't give any technical advice...

But I can definitely assure you that she should breezing through. My VTR is a 97 model, but I managed to get 150kms/hr on the track, and I have done a few Cold Duck and Cold Kiwi rides in the rain and the cold, and she just purred to life everytime and doesn't have any problem sustaining happily a 100kms/hr in fourth gear if need be...Hauls up hills quite nicely too.

I mean, I am a lightweight, but still...

HornetBoy
8th April 2008, 08:07
Hi all,

Hoping I wouldnt be posting a mechanical issue this early on.

2 weeks ago I got a Honda VTR 250, year 2000.

She's my first bike, so I'm not so clued up on motorcycle mechanics (yet).

Have been riding around town with no worries, but on the weekend took up her out on the open road.

The problem was getting upto 100km/h, and maintaining that speed. At first I was being cautious (as the weather decided to bucket down - surface water etc). But as it somewhat dried out and I got more confident - I wanted to see how she went. There was a fair amount of head wind and drag from my 6ft, 85kg frame - but she just struggled. esp uphill or exposed areas - which is understandable to a point. Getting to 80-90 in 4th is not a problem - snds to be revving hard out (but without a rev counter hard to know). Changing into fifth it just doesnt accelerate much/anymore more.

Having read people on the forum getting these bikes upto 150, I doubt my bike is behaving normally.

I did a search and read some posts about ignition sys, spark plugs, and slipping clutches?? But without any real knowledge of V-twins or motorbike engines I'm completely guessing?

Any ideas??

I had the exact same problems when i owned a 04 vtr250 ,was in a constant back and forth to the dealership and in the end i got my cash back and brough something else (they could never figure out the problem)

i always thought it was something to do with the carbies being blocked or restricted but they thought otherwise ...<_<

Henk
9th April 2008, 04:20
You say you just got it. Did you buy it frm a dealer or privately?
If you got it from a dealer I'd try taking it back in and saying something along the likes of "This thing isn't right, please fix or or give me my money back"
If you bought privately you don't have the same consumer garantee act rights and you won't have any idea how well it's been maintained so to start with I'd give it a full service. Oil + filter, air filter, fuel filter, carb balance and valve clearance adjustment. Then you'll at least know that you are starting with the this particular bike running as well as it posibly can.

oscarnz
9th April 2008, 08:02
My partner who works at a bike shop says if the engine is revving really hard, could possibly be one of 2 things:
*Slipping clutch
*or more likely gearing needs to be changed for your size and weight.

Just a couple of thoughts.

I myself had a 93 VTR 250, and I am not a little woman, and never had a problem with speed etc.

F5 Dave
9th April 2008, 17:38
Well to aside the gearing question, count the number of teeth on front & rear sprockets, should be 14/41 depending on model. Unless someone has changed it for a silly gearing then it should rev out eventually even with your size.

Sounds like it is under power. This is where you ask where you bought it from if you can.

Failing that you need to think about what the problem symptoms really are. From the sound it is revving ok but when you put it up a gear there isn't the power to pull it. (why is there no rev counter? This would help to know the revs).

The question is; is it misfiring? Sounding funny when it gets there (Hard to tell on a twin sometimes), or racing in revs but with no more progress.

Or just running sweet but not enough power to pull more speed? If that was the case I'd suspect that the carb diaphragms have perished & the carb just won't open far enough to give decent power. But it could be a myriad of other things if there has been some engine work done, or exhaust collapsed or airleak etc.

But don't hang up on that. That is based on the symptoms as I've assumed them.

MSTRS
9th April 2008, 18:12
(why is there no rev counter? This would help to know the revs).

Never had one. For some reason Honda dropped the ball on the VTR250 2000

jrandom
9th April 2008, 18:15
I mean, I am a lightweight...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/41APzy5kqBU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/41APzy5kqBU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

little green FXR
9th April 2008, 18:52
Getting to 80-90 in 4th is not a problem - snds to be revving hard out (but without a rev counter hard to know). Changing into fifth it just doesnt accelerate much/anymore more.

One thing to note, a bike (particularly a 250 cc) revs much higher than a standard car. Your V-Twin should have redline at around 11 - 12000 revs, almost twice as high as a standard car, so you may just not be revving it high enough. Try waiting til it starts howling before you change up gears, and see how your acceleration goes from there

horch
9th April 2008, 22:44
cheers for the replys team, definitely given me some ideas and places to start looking.

The bike was purchased privately - so no comeback there.

I dont think she's misfiring - though as you say F5 Dave its hard to tell with the v-twin and my 'no knowledge of bikes'. Tho there is no vibrations at any stage/speed and it 'seems' ok to me.

lil' green FXR - I did have her howling in 4th - but in 5th she's got nothing.

Plan is to get a mates bike mechanic uncle to take a look.

any other ideas are more than welcome - or other VTR riders with any similar issues.

cheers all.

007XX
10th April 2008, 08:49
BB got back...

You saying it's cos I's black? :shit:

horch
9th May 2008, 14:21
she's fixed :woohoo:

cause of the problem was the carb rubber velocity stacks being put on incorrectly. - some muppet had been playing under there .. grrr.

hence not enough air was getting in to the mix. (this fact also not helped by the air filter storing half of japans industrial soot between her gills).

but now - good as new.

now i might be able to comment on all those 'How good is a VTR' threads.

:headbang:

TimeOut
10th May 2008, 10:41
Thats great news:2thumbsup, enjoy

munterk6
10th May 2008, 22:22
I just knew it was that....:argh:

JeremyW
21st May 2008, 20:35
Good you got it fixed. If the manifold wasnt on properly it was probably getting too much air, leaning out. Mate had that once with his FXR

Enjoy a good working bike :)

Tumbles
1st June 2008, 13:49
she's fixed :woohoo:

cause of the problem was the carb rubber velocity stacks being put on incorrectly. - some muppet had been playing under there .. grrr.

hence not enough air was getting in to the mix. (this fact also not helped by the air filter storing half of japans industrial soot between her gills).

but now - good as new.

now i might be able to comment on all those 'How good is a VTR' threads.

:headbang:

Good to hear mate, was gonna say it sounds like intake manifolds cracked or something. To test for that, if you don't mind getting her a bit dirty, warm the engine up for 15 mins, leave her idling, then spray wd40 around all the intakes manifolds. If there is any change in engine note (due to wd40 being sucked into the fuel/air mixture) then you have leaky manifolds and its time grab the silicon sealant or throw some cash at the ol' mechanics. :yes:

As someone said as well, was more like running too lean to be underpowered like that. If she wasn't getting enough air, she'd be running rich and therefore would be coughing a splutering like a 40 veteran of 2 packs a day.