PDA

View Full Version : Appeals for money on Kiwi Biker?

DougieNZ
7th April 2008, 19:35
Should there be some rules on people asking for money to help a particular cause?

I have seen various appeeals to "help so and so out because they have binned their bike".

When I see these appeals, then I often wonder about the following things:

Was the bike being ridden legally (Reg, Warrantable condition etc)?
Was the rider licenced to ride said bike?
Did they have insurance? If not Why? Was it anything to do with the above?

Now is it just me that wonders these things?

I reckon that if a public appeal is made on a web site such as this that there should be full disclosure of these sorts of things when an appeal is made.

Sometimes unwise/foolhardy/illegal behaviour can contribute to an incident. Sometimes people CHOOSE to take a risk by not having insurance. Do they deserve to be "bailed out" if they make these choices?

Now I am not critcising anyone for running these appeals or anyone contributing. Nor am I making any specific comment on any specific appeal.... I would be interested to hear other's views on this.

Wingnut
7th April 2008, 19:41
If there is an appeal for dollars when there has been physical damage caused and its proven to be genuine, then I can see only good coming from donations. At times like this people need to look after their own (in this case the motorcycling community).

As for loss or damage of materialistic items - well thats a completely different scenario. I choose to insure. Its a decision that others sometimes dont make and can end up getting burnt. Its the gamble they take..

McJim
7th April 2008, 19:43
My bike fell over in a paddock in a gust of wind and has cracked the fairing BUT to properly repair the bike it requires a new fairing ($1,500).

It is insured but I will lose my no claims bonus and next years premiums are gonna be steep if I make a claim so I've put a bit of red duct tape round the crack and simply cry whenever I look at it.

So Dougie...got a spare $1,500 I can have?

Cheers.:rofl:

McDuck
7th April 2008, 19:45
Should there be some rules on people asking for money to help a particular cause?

I have seen various appeeals to "help so and so out because they have binned their bike".

When I see these appeals, then I often wonder about the following things:

Was the bike being ridden legally (Reg, Warrantable condition etc)?
Was the rider licenced to ride said bike?
Did they have insurance? If not Why? Was it anything to do with the above?

Now is it just me that wonders these things?

I reckon that if a public appeal is made on a web site such as this that there should be full disclosure of these sorts of things when an appeal is made.

Sometimes unwise/foolhardy/illegal behaviour can contribute to an incident. Sometimes people CHOOSE to take a risk by not having insurance. Do they deserve to be "bailed out" if they make these choices?

Now I am not critcising anyone for running these appeals or anyone contributing. Nor am I making any specific comment on any specific appeal.... I would be interested to hear other's views on this.

This is where a thing called trust comes in. If it is not from a rider i trust or approved by a rider i trust then i will not buy into it. simple.

Nagash
7th April 2008, 19:45
Mate,

I reckon it's completely up to the person who donates or not.

I remember a couple of people asked some questions about Skelstar's accident which is fair enough, probably could of been Pm'd but people aren't forced to donate.

You can always ask questions, and if you don't get the answers you wanted to hear then obviously you're not going to donate. Simple as that.

I have no problem with them, and would like to contribute to some of these guys myself but i'm way too poor.

I'm one of the bastards that can't afford insurance and still like's to go for long open road rides. If I right off me bike, i'll only have meself to blame and wouldn't ask for money, but that's up to the individual.

Str8 Jacket
7th April 2008, 19:49
Mate,

I reckon it's completely up to the person who donates or not.

Exactly. If you dont want to donate for whatever reason then dont and if you do then do. If you've got questions then ask the person responsible in private. At the end of the day no one is forcing anyone to do anything.

DougieNZ
7th April 2008, 19:51
Yes.. an interesting example...

"Bloggsy" comes off his bike while totally pissed and riding an unregeistered and unwarranted 1800cc bike on a learners licence. He's perfectly OK but the bike is trashed.

An appeal is made on Kiwibiker saying:

"Please help Bloggsy. It's his only transport to see his sick mother. He is down on his luck, has a trashed bike and has no insurance"

On the face of it, that sounds convinicing. Many people give to the campaign in good faith. Later the FULL truth comes out. Would that cause some pretty bad feeling?

Nagash
7th April 2008, 19:53
Many people give to the campaign in good faith. Later the truth comes out. Would that cause some pretty bad feeling?

I would imagine so,

But that's the risk you take by not asking questions.

If you did ask and they blatantly lied to you, i'd write it off and seriously re-consider your friendship with this bloke.

McJim
7th April 2008, 19:54
Many people give to the campaign in good faith. Later the truth comes out. Would that cause some pretty bad feeling?

Honest - it fell over while stationary at a Tractor show (How appropriate eh?) go on. Gie us $1,500. Pwease?

you don't belive me do you? :rofl:

DougieNZ
7th April 2008, 19:58
Keep looking at that tape buddy....:Punk:

Str8 Jacket
7th April 2008, 19:59

"Bloggsy" comes off his bike while totally pissed and riding an unregeistered and unwarranted 1800cc bike on a learners licence. He's perfectly OK but the bike is trashed.

"Please help Bloggsy. He is down on his luck, has a trashed bike and has no insurance"

You are describing a completely different situation to the one you refer to in your first post.... That particular person is a well established person who means alot to alot of us. That's why his appeal was made....... Like I say if people aint comfortable then dont do it. No one is pointing a gun to your head and no one is gonna hate you cause you didnt either.
If you dont ask, you dont get. I have no problems with people asking for help with whatever they need.

Hitcher
7th April 2008, 20:00
There's nothing wrong with asking for assistance, as long as there is honest disclosure. Nigerian scammers and their ilk have been banned from this site. The same measures will be applied to anybody else found to be promulgating illegal or dishonest means of obtaining money.

DougieNZ
7th April 2008, 20:03

Please be clear on that point... This is not a discussion on the merits of ANY past or present appeal. More thoughts about the future...

I take the point people are saying about it being up to the individual whether to contribute. I guess I am saying that, when an appeal is made on a public web site, I believe that the FULL circumstances should be revealed in an effort to ensure that the right decision is being made by contributors.

onearmedbandit
7th April 2008, 20:03
dishonest means of obtaining money.

Does that mean lawyers and second hand car salesman are banned? Oops, can't forget the politicians!

BiK3RChiK
7th April 2008, 20:16
Personally I don't give $ in these cases. I have insurance, I ride legally and if I have a crash, then, I expect I'd claim on my insurance. If one of my close friends crashed her/his car, I doubt I'd 'help them out'. I think this is about personal responsibility of their finances etc...

When I was 20, I was in my work vehicle (owner/operator) and my vehicle was totally destroyed in a head-on collision with a drunk driver. This accident taught me about personal responsibility with regards to having my own insurance and also about saving up some of my money for a rainy day.

mstriumph
7th April 2008, 20:17
My bike fell over in a paddock in a gust of wind and has cracked the fairing BUT to properly repair the bike it requires a new fairing ($1,500).

It is insured but I will lose my no claims bonus and next years premiums are gonna be steep if I make a claim so I've put a bit of red duct tape round the crack and simply cry whenever I look at it.

So Dougie...got a spare $1,500 I can have?

Cheers.:rofl:

nah - but i've got a hankey :sunny:

McJim
7th April 2008, 20:22
nah - but i've got a hankey :sunny:

Is it red? Can I use it to patch the fairing along with some resin?

Cheers :rofl:

Bonez
7th April 2008, 21:06
Is it red? Can I use it to patch the fairing along with some resin?

Cheers :rofl:Did you stop drill the crack?

Weaver
7th April 2008, 21:32
I take the point people are saying about it being up to the individual whether to contribute. I guess I am saying that, when an appeal is made on a public web site, I believe that the FULL circumstances should be revealed in an effort to ensure that the right decision is being made by contributors.

This is where the the trust thing that was mentioned in an earlier post comes into it.

However you do raise an intresting point, in that, what if someone with a post count of only 4, genuinely requires financial help with their bike? How many people would donate?

98tls
7th April 2008, 21:51
Personally I don't give $ in these cases. I have insurance, I ride legally and if I have a crash, then, I expect I'd claim on my insurance. If one of my close friends crashed her/his car, I doubt I'd 'help them out'. I think this is about personal responsibility of their finances etc...

When I was 20, I was in my work vehicle (owner/operator) and my vehicle was totally destroyed in a head-on collision with a drunk driver. This accident taught me about personal responsibility with regards to having my own insurance and also about saving up some of my money for a rainy day. Says it all really,i spend a shit load of time on a forum based around one of the bikes i ride,great group of people from all over the world,over the years there have only been a couple of times that money has been requested from other members and never from another member ie a long time member has died on his bike leaving behind dependants and there has been a collection to help those dependants,i guess as has been said its up to the individual to donate to a cause or not but at the same time "help me i fell of my bike and cant pay" or "i party to much and cant afford a new back tyre" requests are a waste of interweb time,easy really if you want a handout go to social welfare,fuck they seem to believe anything.

sunhuntin
8th April 2008, 13:57

"Please help Bloggsy. It's his only transport to see his sick mother. He is down on his luck, has a trashed bike and has no insurance"

On the face of it, that sounds convinicing. Many people give to the campaign in good faith. Later the FULL truth comes out. Would that cause some pretty bad feeling?

seen similar happen heaps on trademe. i dont mind donating to causes like hxc's overseas trip, etc.

Genestho
8th April 2008, 14:24
Hi Guys

Just took a quick read of this...and wanted to add my two cents.

I hope I havent offended anyone here by giving the heads up on the BADD auction.

I have to almost "market" my cause to keep getting people to go to the website, I cant just post there in the hopes that people will come... to spread the awareness, to hope that people will make good choices both for themselves and others.

Its true BADD has a monetry (spelling?) request..again for the greater good. And I hope that I am giving something back.

In a personal nature, people offered donations to me personally in the early stages, and Ive turned them down.

I was "lucky" in the way that we always had things covered. (Unfortunately not the Guzzi)

If I didnt know where my next cent was coming from, maybe I would've asked for help. I dont know Im not in that situation.

Personally I think its great that this community comes together and can help each other. Comes down to common sense and personal choice...I guess.

DougieNZ
8th April 2008, 16:43
Hi Guys

Just took a quick read of this...and wanted to add my two cents.

I hope I havent offended anyone here by giving the heads up on the BADD auction.

I have to almost "market" my cause to keep getting people to go to the website, I cant just post there in the hopes that people will come... to spread the awareness, to hope that people will make good choices both for themselves and others.

Its true BADD has a monetry (spelling?) request..again for the greater good. And I hope that I am giving something back.

In a personal nature, people offered donations to me personally in the early stages, and Ive turned them down.

I was "lucky" in the way that we always had things covered. (Unfortunately not the Guzzi)

If I didnt know where my next cent was coming from, maybe I would've asked for help. I dont know Im not in that situation.

Personally I think its great that this community comes together and can help each other. Comes down to common sense and personal choice...I guess.

I am prepared to comment on your campaign. It would be hard not to be full of admiration for both you and your campaign. Your web site gives full details of what transpired with nothing held back, and also is clear about what the campaign is about and what will be done with the funds.

I am more talking about appeals where the full facts are not exposed and potentialy illegal/immoral/insurance behaviour has occurred that may or may not have contributed to the incident. If people know the full facts then they can make good, fully informed decisions on whether to contribute or not.

Genestho
8th April 2008, 20:24
I am prepared to comment on your campaign. It would be hard not to be full of admiration for both you and your campaign. Your web site gives full details of what transpired with nothing held back, and also is clear about what the campaign is about and what will be done with the funds.

I am more talking about appeals where the full facts are not exposed and potentialy illegal/immoral/insurance behaviour has occurred that may or may not have contributed to the incident. If people know the full facts then they can make good, fully informed decisions on whether to contribute or not.

Roger that, I could see where you were coming from, but I saw your post above my Trade Me one and thought...O. Dont want to offend.