PDA

View Full Version : Shifiting and stuck gear problem!

HungusMaximist
9th April 2008, 21:31
This is for my 929 and this is what happened:

I have bike switched off and in neutral and then I try shift thru the gear box, I get to 1 then to 2 and when I shift to 3 it doesn't want to go up.

So I play around shifting back between 1, neutral and 2 a few times to see if it does anything, with no luck, I adjust the free play of the my clutch by slacking it off and then tightening it. Then suddenly I can shift through the gears 1-5, but no 6.

Then it gets stuck between 4-5 and won't shift down, by now I am getting frustrated, I take a break, come back and I can shift down to 1 but then it's gets stuck and won't go anything above 2.

You get the idea..

Had a squizz at the Haynes manual under fault finding and whole heap of stuff come up like, selector fork bent/sezied, gear(s) stuck on shaft, selector drum binding, gearchange lever return spring weak/broken...

What's happening?

merv
9th April 2008, 21:35
You did say "I have bike switched off " so what if you start the engine is it OK then? Bike gearboxes just don't like shifting when the engine isn't running or you are not moving the bike a bit.

HungusMaximist
9th April 2008, 21:38
You did say "I have bike switched off " so what if you start the engine is it OK then? Bike gearboxes just don't like shifting when the engine isn't running or you are not moving the bike a bit.

I thought about the exact same thing while I was moving the gear lever up and down, but I always thought you could shift through all the gears without the engine running.

Maybe I am just dumb, I'll give that a go yo.

98tls
9th April 2008, 21:41
You did say "I have bike switched off " so what if you start the engine is it OK then? Bike gearboxes just don't like shifting when the engine isn't running or you are not moving the bike a bit. +1 on that,if its running no problem but stopped on the TL forget it,but then again if its not running why try and go through the gears,you can adjust all you like its not going to change anything ie on mine adjusting cable/worm drive to the pushrod only affects pressure plate,even if running but stationary why bother going through the grears.

WRT
10th April 2008, 07:57
+1 on the switched off thing. If you need to shift while the engine is off (for example to find neutral), just rock the bike back and forth a little bit and this'll let you change gear. With the engine off, you can actually hear the click each time the selector falls into place, so just put pressure on the lever, move the bike back and forth and you'll hear the click and feel the change through the lever.

HungusMaximist
10th April 2008, 21:54
Thanks for your help, everything is solved when the bike starts.

It was just a sense of paranoia......

Squiggles
10th April 2008, 23:00
I can get the gn to shift through all the gears, on the main stand i shift up/down from neutral, knock wheel foward, shift up to 3rd, knock wheel, shift up to 4th... then 5th

vifferman
11th April 2008, 09:17
It's the way the gearbox works - it has shafts with cogs on them. It will only shift into the next gear when stationary if the teeth of the cogs on the shafts happen to line up exactly. That's why sometimes when you come to a stop with the bike in second or third or whatever, it's hard to get it into first or neutral.