PDA

View Full Version : Wet weather riders

duckman
20th August 2003, 10:43
I've got a question for all those hardcore bikers who ride to work everyday.

"Do any of you work in offices that require a suit to be worn?"
If so how do you handle the whole wet weather gear over suit thing.?? or do you carry the suit in a bag?? doesn't this scrunch it up and make it look like you slept in it the night before ??

Alot of questions, I know, but I'm intriqued.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Duke of Rogan
20th August 2003, 10:57
no suit, got my cords and black jumper and sneakers on today. (leave shoes at work)

If They tried to enforce suits I would look for another job...:angry2:

SpankMe
20th August 2003, 10:58
I work in an office and my work shoes and jacket stay at work. Everything else I wear under my wets.

jrandom
20th August 2003, 11:53
Suit? Blehhh. Wear my cargos or shorts under w/p trous and stuff a jumper in the bag bungeed to the back seat. Shoes stay under desk at work.

Worked at a suit-n-tie job for three years (pre-bike). Never again.

duckman
20th August 2003, 11:59
Well your all lucky Bstards, I have to wear a suit. Think I might have a word with my union about this. oh wait I dont have a union... ggrrrrr - Not bloody fair!!

The only day I can take my ride to work is Friday. The powers that be are a little less sphrincter tense on Fridays. :gob:

MikeL
20th August 2003, 12:00
Not a problem. Leave suit (or more exactly trousers and a jacket) as well as shoes at work. Changing into/out of clothes in an open-plan office with several women at nearby desks can be interesting! (I suppose there's always the toilet...)

Antallica
20th August 2003, 12:05
I just have my wet weather gear over my suit. I carry my shoes in my bag. Easy peasy :)

Big Dog
20th August 2003, 12:53
If your wets crease your suit, fold along the greases you want and roll into a tigt cylandar and store verticaly in your bag.
Pants role from the wiast.
Shirts roll from the collar being careful to keep the sleeves straight.
Jackets fold like a shirt you were going to put in a suitcase, unless its a cheap (under 150) jacket it will not crease.
If its a cheap jacket (thin polyester) fold and roll the same as a shirt.

These are old travelling salesman tricks i got told by a manager who is an ex biker.

In my experience when its hammering down and you do this in a good waterproof bag the humidity actually takes creases that are not ironed in out! Bonus! Using this method I only Iron about twenty shirts a year espite wearing a white collar 6 days a week.:niceone:

Please note: try this on a day that you will not actually be working first it can take some trial and error to get it right but is well worth it.

ps most employers will provide a iron and board on request!
Ciao, Big Dog:done:

Coldkiwi
20th August 2003, 13:18
well, I can't add anything to that! very comprehensive. I generally wear my office clothes under my wets taking a spare pair of socks for if they get wet (like today!).

To be honest, summer is more of a hassle because I like to wear t shirt and shorts under the leathers so I need to take pants and shirt with me or leave them at the office overnight

wkid_one
20th August 2003, 17:26
Just a word of advice - wearing work trou on the bike is the quickest way to split the seams (yes - everyone go check!!)

I take mine to work in my bag - leaving the jacket and shoes at work when I take the bike - I even managed the whole - suit up to PNorth on the bike no problems..

Coldkiwi
20th August 2003, 18:01
hrmmm all my seams are ok...

I have however managed to get a dinner suit in a roll bag from auckland to hamilton for a ball on the back of my GPX 250 one winter night many years ago. It came out really quite well (got kudos for riding down in the cold weather too!) given the car crapped itself (whole clutch assembly failed) 10 minutes after I left!

bluninja
21st August 2003, 11:46
I've become a bit of a coward with the bike to work. I always turn up in the car for meetings with clients...apart from bringing my files with me and having them dry and presentable, it's finding somewhere to put the bike gear on arrival at somebody elses premises....especially if you are making a sales call.

And the time saved commuting is lost in the taking on and off of all the gear.

As for all these people with hangups about collar and tie.......clothes don't make the man....it's the person inside the suit not the suit that people buy into.

TTFN

duckman
21st August 2003, 11:49
Hey Bluninja,

\are you bringing that RSVR to Mitch's on saturday??

Got to have as many twins as possible !!:beer:

bluninja
21st August 2003, 11:53
:Offtopic:

Depends if it's raining or not.....don't want to crease my suit and tie:D

TTFN

Big Dog
21st August 2003, 19:22
A lot of my old customers loved the look!

Turning up on a motorcycle in a suit with a Laptop printer and files all in my breifcase (wharehouse jobby waterproofed). Complete mobile office that was never late because of traffic! all in 1995:D

But ten minutes in its the quality of the presentation, product knowledge and the person behind the image.

Have to admit some people were very resistant due to preconcieved predjudices but that just made it more fun.
Ciao, Big Dog

Big Dog
21st August 2003, 19:25
Originally posted by wkid_one
Just a word of advice - wearing work trou on the bike is the quickest way to split the seams (yes - everyone go check!!).

Perhaps you should get rid of the ball huggers!:eek:

Or are you just trying to boast?:whocares:

ll
lollol

Ciao. Big Dog.

Kwaka-Kid
21st August 2003, 21:38
ohh im lucky :) no suit, uniform provided :) mwahaha, theatre attire.

anyways one thing i hate is THE TINY FRIGGIN LOCKERS they try and give you.. ffs, you think i can fit a hwole load of wet motorcycle gear in there for a day? lucky i snapped a lock on another locker on the floor above mine :) 2x lockers for me :D because my mummy says im special...

Marmoot
21st August 2003, 22:30
Arnold Schwarszenegger once went on scuba diving and came out with a perfectly pressed tux suit underneath his wet suit.

C'mon, if they can do it with scuba, you must be able to do it with bikes.

But, then again, in Hollywood they also have Mitsi Evo VII with impressive gearbox that don't break switching from 4th to reverse......

Coldkiwi
22nd August 2003, 12:40
I know what you mean KK... its a real drag having to stuff wet gear in a small locker for the day. My advice is to make friends with some nice technicians somewhere and see if you can't hang your gear up out of the way in their office. Also likely to be much more secure.