PDA

View Full Version : Wellington: Sunday ride to Wairarapa?

henry
10th April 2008, 11:55
Anyone planning on going over the hill on Sunday? Mind if i tag along?

Deano
11th April 2008, 07:45
Hi Henry,

I could be keen for a burl on Sunday.

I will PM you my phone number.

Deano

sels1
11th April 2008, 07:59
I could be a starter too - depends on how the 'do' I am attending on Saturday night goes

nivram
11th April 2008, 13:20
Mind if a Hyobag 250 trys to tag a long and keep up?

flame
11th April 2008, 17:07
Hey there Henry,

yep, weather looks great for Sunday. Im keen, will talk to Deano. (not TOOOOOooooo early though eh Deano!!):whistle:

Fatjim
11th April 2008, 18:03
Could be keen if its not too late, by that I mean in the morning.

sinned
11th April 2008, 19:34
I am on for Sunday morning - not too late though. 8.30 - 9.00 at Rimutex is my starting time. Then there is a choice of who to catch up and ride with. The old men start around 10 - not that I am old :wari:

Madnes
11th April 2008, 20:47
Hi all im new to the forum and wouldnt mind tagging along on sunday and meet a few new bikers. where and when are you going to meet???

Grub
11th April 2008, 21:23
Hi all im new to the forum and wouldnt mind tagging along on sunday and meet a few new bikers. where and when are you going to meet???

Hi Madness, welcome to KB. Given your nickname I think you'll almost fit in here :).

It's usually at Caltex Rimutaka ("Rimutex"). It looks like the time is still under discussion. In the non-daylight saving months our Wednesday Night Ride sort of fades away and The Cruisy Sunday Morning Ride (TCSMR) takes its place.

By popular acclaim (a poll was held) the start time preferred was 10am. That was a bit early fr my tastes but that's democracy :). This ride may or may not start then as there's no "rules" about any of it. It's just when a bunch of bodies decide what, when and where.

Madnes
11th April 2008, 22:25
Cheers for that Grub i will just keep an eye on this thread and go with the flow

Dadpole
12th April 2008, 00:13
There has been resealing work on the Hutt side of the hill Thursday and Friday. Hotmix, so there is very little loose stuff there but they are doing one lane at a time. The seam is on the centre line so beware of that.

quallman1234
12th April 2008, 01:07
Bugger going on a trial ride in masterton.

Radar
12th April 2008, 08:20
Hey guys, get over to Masterton and see the 22 bikes on display at our art gallery. Fascinating. See my signature. I've been there twice. Interesting info to read as well. The art gallery is located at the north end of town, near New World and QE Park. There is a good cafe right next to the art gallery so you can have lunch there.

Give me a wave as I ride by your group - the Masterton Ulysses Club will be heading over to Eastbourne, leaving here at 10 AM.

Radar
12th April 2008, 11:31
Here are 2 photos of the Rimatuka road.
One has been posted before but I 'cleaned up' the photo a bit.

Cave Cleaner
12th April 2008, 17:31
I am heading over to Carterton sunday to visit people, but not sure what time I will come thru. Being one of the "OLD" men, It takes some time to warm up the joints etc in the mornings before I can get moving.....so I may see ya,ll at Rimatex around 10 (ish)<_<

Marknz
12th April 2008, 18:25
I'll be heading over for sure. Not tuned in to timings at this stage, but given I have to be at the airport to pick up SWMBO at 5pm, I think I'll be out earlier rather than later and have brunch somewhere in M'boro.

flame
12th April 2008, 19:21
I'll be heading over for sure. Not tuned in to timings at this stage, but given I have to be at the airport to pick up SWMBO at 5pm, I think I'll be out earlier rather than later and have brunch somewhere in M'boro.

....And remember to watch out for crazy sheep on those back roads! the one we saw today wasn't too impressed with us....I think he may have been a bit gutted:pinch:

henry
12th April 2008, 20:05
There has been resealing work on the Hutt side of the hill Thursday and Friday.

Went up there this afternoon. The sealing is ok except on the way down there's a 4 inch ridge where it starts.

Strider
12th April 2008, 20:35
I was looking to do a ride over there this sunday so im keen if i to try my first ride in a group.

Grub
12th April 2008, 20:57
OK, we're going to Palmy for lunch tomorrow so we will start at Rimutex at 10. Not making everybody assemble for that time, just putting our time out there for anyone else who wants to ride as a group over the hill. Looks like there's several options from the other end - Masterton Gallery, Martinborough and Palmy ... way cool.

We just this minute got back from a ride to Wanganui and back. Brilliant weather NO traffic and just and all-round beautiful biking day.

Just to let you know, but not to hijack your thread or idea, I've started a New thread for Sunday mornings 2008 Season (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=71464) as we do every year.

Marknz
12th April 2008, 22:39
....And remember to watch out for crazy sheep on those back roads! the one we saw today wasn't too impressed with us....I think he may have been a bit gutted:pinch:

:clap:

sinned
13th April 2008, 06:55
On the road soon. Plan is 8.30 over the hill, Ashhurst, Vinegar Hill, Pamly lunch, Pahia track, over the hill home.

Nasty
13th April 2008, 07:21
On the road soon. Plan is 8.30 over the hill, Ashhurst, Vinegar Hill, Pamly lunch, Pahia track, over the hill home.

You early bird you!

Radar
13th April 2008, 08:17
Pics of 2 of the bikes at Aratoi Art Museum in Masterton.

Theres also a display of racing gear and videos of races.

MIXONE
13th April 2008, 08:25
You convinced me radar.I'm coming for a look.
Caltex at 10.Look out for a red beema.

Marknz
13th April 2008, 13:57
T'was a great day to be out there.

Left home at 7.30. Did Paua inlet, haywards, Rimu Hill to M'boro only to find I was too early for a cafe b/fast. Headed off on my tod out past the golf course, took the turn off to Glady and then up the hillclimb road, left and left and left again round to Masterton. Filled up with go juice and headed north for Paihiatua, took the track (that little rising left just before the railway tracks can be nasty!?) across to the back of Palmy , down through Shannon to Otaki for fuel, coffee and one of BP's finest Gourmet Pepper Steak pies (still getting reflux now!). Home via Paekak Hill and the Whitby inlet. 760km's in two days, the wrists are a little sore, the neck is worse but then I haven't ridden for nearly 18months. 900k's on the clock now, so it's time for WMC to do the 1st service and all will be good again.

henry
13th April 2008, 20:24
Awesome ride today. Thanks to deano, fatjim and the rest. Haven't been on a ride like that for 10 years. Awesome weather, roads, bikes and company. Still feeling the buzz.

First time over the hill on the Daytona. Only managed to scare myself twice. Probably scared Fatjim a few times:)

I've been trying to figure out where we went on the map. Buggered if I can figure it out.

Anyway, thanks again. Can't wait until next the next one.

Fatjim
13th April 2008, 20:51
Na mate, its all cool. I hadn't been on those roads for ages so I was happy to follow, plus I remember you biatching about the stones, and your bike is nicer than mine.

Dadpole
13th April 2008, 21:58
I intended to ambush you in Featherston this morning but Murphy (in the guise of a flat battery) intervened. I spent a happy four hours playing on the Wairarapa backroads, but did not see that many bikes. Are you all avoiding me? :crybaby:

Korea
13th April 2008, 22:47
Great to ride with youse fellas again after a bit of a hiatus...

As usual the pace was fun but not silly~

~indicator cam worked a treat.

I would post the ascent and descent videos but could come under fire for a little bit of motorcycle fuckwitery - so I'll refrain this time.

Vid by PM~

Fatjim
14th April 2008, 09:40
A little fuckwittery is cool. It passes the time until the TRTNR rides start again

Strider
14th April 2008, 09:53
I done my first ride over the Rimatuka hill Sunday. A bit scary on some of them corners. Saw a hell of a lot of bike comming from both directions on the hill. just about every body that had a bike must of been out. But it was a great sunny day for riding so let hope we get more of the same weather this week end.

henry
14th April 2008, 10:23
I would post the ascent and descent videos but could come under fire for a little bit of motorcycle fuckwitery - so I'll refrain this time.

Bugger. I was really looking forward to seeing how my arse looks in my new leathers.