PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a motard or an R6?

RM125king
13th April 2008, 11:52
I have been thinking about getting in the sport of riding motards. I cant make up my mind as to what i should i get. Do i get an R6 or a motard. I love doing trackdays and racing around but i dont want to buy a motard and think it is just too slow and have to sell it for something like an R6.

What are people thoughts on this?

Has anybody gone from a motard to road bike and then gone back to motard.

Aero165
13th April 2008, 12:15
I know your problem. I went from a R6 to a motard then back to a roadbike and now I'm selling my R1 for another motard.

Motards are the greatest toy ever invented! Wheelies and stoppies are super easy but so is getting tickets. They are great for around town and in the twisties. They just don't do straights.

There is a small town called Kinloch that's just out of Taupo by about 20 min. A short, easy trip in my old R6 or my new R1 but a nightmare on the motard. Your ass would be sore, you'd feel like you were about to fall apart from the vibes and you'd walk funny for 10 min once you made it to your destination:pinch:.

Saying all of that though, I do miss my motard. So much so, I'm selling my R1 and getting a cheaper roadbike and a KTM 525.

I think the best advice for you would be. Find a motard you can borrow for a hour or two, take it all the places you'd take your R6 and a few places you wouldn't (Parks, fields:bleh:). Just try not to lose your license doing so.

NZsarge
13th April 2008, 12:37
I have been thinking about getting in the sport of riding motards. I cant make up my mind as to what i should i get. Do i get an R6 or a motard. I love doing trackdays and racing around but i dont want to buy a motard and think it is just too slow and have to sell it for something like an R6.

What are people thoughts on this?

Has anybody gone from a motard to road bike and then gone back to motard.

If you are mainly going to stick to track days and around town then Motard up mate but if you're thinking of going out of town then it's an R6 and don't forget you can do track days and ride around town on an R6 too.
Horses for courses.

RM125king
13th April 2008, 13:10
Yeah i had a play on a Husaberg 650 yesterday, the same one that won the super motard at paeroa.

I had a play for about half an hour and loved it so much. This thing was insanely fast and the other great thing about these bike is if you toss them down the track they do very little damage.

The R6 on the other hand is a great bike and insanley fast as well but i have tossed one of these down the track and lets just say there was not much left of it afterwards.

At the end of the day it is a just a weekend toy but i just cant decide on what to get.

Has anybody taken a motard around pukekohe?

Manxman
13th April 2008, 13:30
The answer is - get one of each:rolleyes:

Macstar
13th April 2008, 14:10
Yeah i had a play on a Husaberg 650 yesterday, the same one that won the super motard at paeroa.

I had a play for about half an hour and loved it so much.
Has anybody taken a motard around pukekohe?

30 mins is a fair chunk of a race motard's engine life (60-120 hrs) between rebuilds - if you get my drift...

Puke is not suitable for motards and most riders avoid that track as its too fast and end up ringing the tits off their engines.

Motard as a commuter is again a waste of the engines life and some will overheat as they do not all come with radiator cooling fans.

Most fun to be had is on a motard tho - top end speed swapped for drifting. Bins are safer too!

RM125king
13th April 2008, 14:20
Yeah thats a good point you have just brought up. How many hours do you get out of these KTM 525 before they need a rebuild? How many KMS if it is road driven?

Thats going to be the the turning point if i have to rebuild it every 5000 kms then stuff that and i will get the R6.

I can handle doing oil changes every 10 hours but i dont want to be changing pistons every 50 hours.

What are the reliability on these machines like?

Macstar
13th April 2008, 14:34
Yeah thats a good point you have just brought up. How many hours do you get out of these KTM 525 before they need a rebuild? How many KMS if it is road driven?

Thats going to be the the turning point if i have to rebuild it every 5000 kms then stuff that and i will get the R6.

I can handle doing oil changes every 10 hours but i dont want to be changing pistons every 50 hours.

Become a mechanic or spend. top end rebuild maybe $1200-1400 every 60 odd hours if thrashing, last twice as long under normal riding.

Bottom end / full rebuild $2-3K every 120 ish hours... Other motards are more durable than KTMs - arguably less performing tho.

Oil changes every 5ookms with twin oil filters too. Valve clearances every 25-30 hours of normal riding or after each race / track day...

At least they're user friendly. A good mechanic can have the engine out of the bike in 20-25 minutes.

Aero165
13th April 2008, 14:45

I've heard of loads of 525's going to 250 hours before rebuilding time. You can buy an after market oil cooler which adds nearly another litre of oil. Something I will be investing in!

Macstar
13th April 2008, 15:28
I've heard of loads of 525's going to 250 hours before rebuilding time. You can buy an after market oil cooler which adds nearly another litre of oil. Something I will be investing in!

Sounds like a worthwhile mod. Motard-style riding is harder on the engines with higher RPMs, you'd be hard-pressed to get that many hours on track use! Next time I'd get the heavier but more reliable 640/660 KTMs. They'll do 40-60,000kms before needing a rebuild.

Aero165
13th April 2008, 16:38
Sounds like a worthwhile mod. Motard-style riding is harder on the engines with higher RPMs, you'd be hard-pressed to get that many hours on track use! Next time I'd get the heavier but more reliable 640/660 KTMs. They'll do 40-60,000kms before needing a rebuild.

Yeah, track use is a completely different story.

I have considered LC4/660s. I'll be doing a lot of trail riding and the like so I think the 525 suits my needs better. Even if it will cost a bit more $$ in the long run. Maybe I should make that $$$$. :lol:

RM125king
13th April 2008, 17:22
Become a mechanic or spend. top end rebuild maybe $1200-1400 every 60 odd hours if thrashing, last twice as long under normal riding.

Bottom end / full rebuild $2-3K every 120 ish hours... Other motards are more durable than KTMs - arguably less performing tho.

Oil changes every 5ookms with twin oil filters too. Valve clearances every 25-30 hours of normal riding or after each race / track day...

At least they're user friendly. A good mechanic can have the engine out of the bike in 20-25 minutes.

So what your saying is that i would be up for a rebuild at least every 5000 kms?

Thats a new top end and re-shim the valves.

And every 10,000 kms i would have do the whole motor from top to bottom.

That does seem a bit extreme. Surely KTM wouldnt of brought these out road registered and only expect them to last 10,000 kms?

I could understand changing the top end alot more often if you were constantly thrashing it but on the road it wouldnt be right to have a bike that needs a rebuild every 3 months.

Has anybody had any experience in riding these daily?

Macstar
13th April 2008, 17:46
So what your saying is that i would be up for a rebuild at least every 5000 kms?

Thats a new top end and re-shim the valves.

And every 10,000 kms i would have do the whole motor from top to bottom.

That does seem a bit extreme. Surely KTM wouldnt of brought these out road registered and only expect them to last 10,000 kms?

I could understand changing the top end alot more often if you were constantly thrashing it but on the road it wouldnt be right to have a bike that needs a rebuild every 3 months.

Has anybody had any experience in riding these daily?

Mine was rebuilt twice in 13000 kms, one top end, one full rebuild. As mentioned by me and the other KTM guy - it depends if you are racing or riding normally.

I chose not to ride mine in traffic as it would get too hot and I'd have to stop the engine at every set of lights.

Aero165
13th April 2008, 18:35
Have a chat to Mammaryman. He owns a 525 motard and it seems he uses very regularly.

CHOPPA
15th April 2008, 11:58
id go for the motard in your situ! get a 530 excr road regod with motard kit would be sweet bike for everything, heaps of fun carving through traffic around a race track and trail riding!

Morcs
15th April 2008, 12:37
What about a DRZ-400SM? Im thinking of getting one soon, and they dont need a rebuild every 10 mins like the 'performance' motards.

Denniso
15th April 2008, 20:47
You've asked a question I've given up on , so I have a RMZ for track retard riding , a DR 650 running 17 inch wheels for road legal stupidity and a GSXR & two SVs for trips and longer runs . It's the best compromise I've found so far , but you do have to give up on a few non nessasary items to keep them . One day I may finnish my house , get the hot water powered up , buy a car , or even get a electric computer as opposed to the steam powered one I have at the moment . In conclusion both motard and race rep are too much fun to miss out on and man cannot live on one motorcycle alone .

orangeback
15th April 2008, 21:36
i went from a zx10r to a wr450 motard and its the best thing ive ever done , but have 3 other road bikes , but i ride the motard the most, as i bought a new z750 and only racked up 400km on it in 4 1/2 months but have done 45 hours on the motard in 6 months. A motard would wip your r6 till you get over speeds over 150km with a confident rider on board

Motardman
17th April 2008, 10:54
Have a chat to Mammaryman. He owns a 525 motard and it seems he uses very regularly.

Yep, I use a KTM 525 EXC-R moootard every day to commute to work as well as thrashing at the weekends. No overheating problems whatsoever, estimate its done about 2600km so far with me and unknown with the previous owner but estimate it was at least 110 hours off road use.

Had it checked out by Gavin at Amps in Newmarket about 6 months ago, needed a new camshaft but other than that it was all good. (sorry Aero forgot to mention that in the PM). I do oil and filter every 1000km but its dead easy to do and isn't that regular for me. Will soon be having the 540 big bore kit done so will report on the state of the internals then....

Motardman
17th April 2008, 10:58
What about a DRZ-400SM? Im thinking of getting one soon, and they dont need a rebuild every 10 mins like the 'performance' motards.

True, but they need a jetkit, new exhaust and airbox mod to liven them up and even then is still a bit gutless....is also very heavy compared to the enduro alternatives...

To be honest its true, you need a motard and a race rep, even though I'm selling my gixer 750 I will still get an ex race bike next year for the trackday speed fix......take both to the track.....what a day that will be :devil2:

Coyote
17th April 2008, 11:03
You've asked a question I've given up on , so I have a RMZ for track retard riding , a DR 650 running 17 inch wheels for road legal stupidity and a GSXR & two SVs for trips and longer runs . It's the best compromise I've found so far , but you do have to give up on a few non nessasary items to keep them . One day I may finnish my house , get the hot water powered up , buy a car , or even get a electric computer as opposed to the steam powered one I have at the moment . In conclusion both motard and race rep are too much fun to miss out on and man cannot live on one motorcycle alone .
That's what I thought!

Brainfade
21st September 2008, 20:16
I Ride My DRZ400SM 80% of the time now,
Ive put the FCR39 Carb,Fat Bars, done the 3 x 3 mod, put on a Yoshimra RS2 (Full) pipe,Acerbis Superoto Front Fender put a smaller mirror on & an Edge Tail light,ditched that ugly toolbag in the foto below,Man its Awesome fun!
When I 1st got My R6 (2006 model) it blew My mind, ignore the reviews etc, U just hav to test ride one Yourself, I personally think its an Awesome roadbike & I even commuted 80k per day for over a year,
Then I got My DRZ & started modding it & Man, it is MORE fun than the R6 because U can have fun going slow as well as fast, the R6 aint so much fun slow, also, the DRZ is way better for commuting because U got a great view & better manouvering wit the wide bars etc & it is totally bulletproof, uses bugger all gas, the R6 can get a bit thirsty.
Anyway, what Im saying is You will have to rest ride both bikes because they are so COMPLETELY Different, wen U get on the R6 strait offa the DRZ its weird having Ur feet way back & up & leaning forward soo far BUT at Hi speeds the R6 is Freakin A, its so stable at hi speeds, it corners like its on rails at high speed & its a complete blast, the DRZ on the other hand is way more fun for 90% of everyday riding, meaning U can hav great fun at the actual speed limit,zooming thru really tight corners, eg Paekak Hill is more fun on the DRZ than My R6 I think
Finally, if U drop the R6 its gonna cost U about 2g BUT if U drop the DRZ, maybe a new lever,
Ive put crash bungs on mine, it did get blown over in Welly but nothing happened, Thats one of the BEST things about the DRZ besides the Fun, its real cheap to run & its SOLID as, plus theirs heaps of Good Mods for them, even Mine has about 7 - 8 extra horsepower than stock & they are on sale now for under 8k brand new at the mo,
Spend a couple grand (at most) on the FCR39MX Carb, the Yoshi or other FULL system, do the 3 x 3 mod, people also put the DRZ400E Gasket in place of the stock SM one, it raises the comp ratio, so their are heaps of cool free, cheap & not so cheap mods for them
One last thing, I pay 80$ per month insurance for My R6 but only30$ for the DRZ
So, from Someone who has & Loves both, I think I wud get the DRZ & Mod it, its a waay cheaper way of having an awesome Bike,
In the pics below, this is wot the DRZ looked like before I started modding it, apart from the Zeta FatBars & the Acerbis Front Fender
The R6 has a Tail Tidy & Flush mount turn signals & Oggy nobs & axle ones as well
the R6 LOOKS so Beautiful tho,,,,,

kezzafish
24th September 2008, 02:49
I Ride My DRZ400SM 80% of the time now,

They both look phat! i like the drz in yellow. what year is it? i can't believe they dropped that colour, mine's 08 and the choices were white or black. i wish i'd gone for white now cos everyone went for black like me! has anyone seen a white one? they look good? What is the FCR carb? is it an aftermarket mod. or is that the carb off the DRZ400E? big difference?

Motardman
24th September 2008, 08:09
They both look phat! i like the drz in yellow. what year is it? i can't believe they dropped that colour, mine's 08 and the choices were white or black. i wish i'd gone for white now cos everyone went for black like me! has anyone seen a white one? they look good? What is the FCR carb? is it an aftermarket mod. or is that the carb off the DRZ400E? big difference?

Yep the white one looks very trick....my mate had a black one and saw the white one later and said the same thing!!

AlBundy
24th September 2008, 08:21

The FCR is a Keihin 39mm flatslide carb. A model is to be found on the E model yes but a lot of people buy a better version from Thumpertalk. In fact, the TT kit comes with everything, the jets, needles, adaptor pipes for airbox etc...

Brainfade
4th October 2008, 20:22
Thanks Guys,
My FCR was off a KTM, I had a few problems adapting it, if You do get an FCR get the MX version or one of a DRZ400E, also, another cheap mod, use the DRZ400E gasket, it raises the comp ratio, check out Thumpertalk for all the mods.
Actually, what AlBundy said about the FCR is spot on,
A lot of People say the DRZ is underpowered BUT, do the 3 x 3 mod, the FCR, a new FULL pipe & it goes waaay better PLUS, unlike say the SVX 550 Aprilia (bad spelling?) it just keeps going & going ...., what I am saying is You can make them way faster & gruntier for maye 1.5k BUT they are only 8k brand new so for about 9.5k You get a FAST, Grunty & RELIABLE Road Sumo, I would LOVE the Aprilia 4.5 or 5.5 but they need too much maintainence to keep them going & Im a Lazy Bast, btw, both My DRZ & R6 ALWAYS go, & Ive never had any problems (except the insurance cost of the R6, another thing n favor of the DRZ) with either of them.
One more time, the DRZ is Friggin Awesome Fun, cheap & EASY to hotup, HEAPS of good mods & parts for them, bulletproof & I think they look Cool too, BUT thats just My opinion
Get the DRZ, do the Mods & You WILL be Happy
Cheers Brainfade

Motardman
6th October 2008, 07:00
Thanks Guys,
My FCR was off a KTM, I had a few problems adapting it, if You do get an FCR get the MX version or one of a DRZ400E, also, another cheap mod, use the DRZ400E gasket, it raises the comp ratio, check out Thumpertalk for all the mods.
Actually, what AlBundy said about the FCR is spot on,
A lot of People say the DRZ is underpowered BUT, do the 3 x 3 mod, the FCR, a new FULL pipe & it goes waaay better PLUS, unlike say the SVX 550 Aprilia (bad spelling?) it just keeps going & going ...., what I am saying is You can make them way faster & gruntier for maye 1.5k BUT they are only 8k brand new so for about 9.5k You get a FAST, Grunty & RELIABLE Road Sumo, I would LOVE the Aprilia 4.5 or 5.5 but they need too much maintainence to keep them going & Im a Lazy Bast, btw, both My DRZ & R6 ALWAYS go, & Ive never had any problems (except the insurance cost of the R6, another thing n favor of the DRZ) with either of them.
One more time, the DRZ is Friggin Awesome Fun, cheap & EASY to hotup, HEAPS of good mods & parts for them, bulletproof & I think they look Cool too, BUT thats just My opinion
Get the DRZ, do the Mods & You WILL be Happy
Cheers Brainfade

Yep thats all good, sounds like a great bike.....but be warned.....my mate said the same thing.....then he rode a sorted KTM.....he sold the Suzuki :laugh:

AlBundy
6th October 2008, 14:07
Well, I was kinda happy with the DRZ until I rode a 690 SM. That was enough for me to sell the DRZ, nevermind the SMC or even anything lighter with the same power...

That said, mine was stock, so just figured I'll do one big hit....

Supermoto Junkie
13th October 2008, 18:44

The 660 is the way to go (if you can find one) as it has more power (and way more vides) than the 640 but still has the long life, and will eat a DRZ. but you have to put up with Left hand kick start ONLY, where the 640 can be fitted with a electric start.