PDA

View Full Version : Police car - speed detectors

AllanB
13th April 2008, 14:48
Fatting along back from Akaroa, around the flats by Birdlings Flat I passed a police car :Police: driving along in the opposite direction. I noted that the office was obviously listening to some rap or gangster music as he was violently gesturing with his hand (presumably to the beat). :rolleyes:

I have noticed this behaviour several times before - maybe there are a lot of homies in the force who enjoy their in-car CD players :Punk::headbang:

I continued on my merry way enjoying the sunny Autumn afternoon in the best possible manner :wavey:

It made me wonder - have they the technology when driving along to register the speed of an oncoming vehicle?

Jantar
13th April 2008, 15:17
Its strange, but by some miracle of modern science they DO have the technology when driving along to register the speed of an oncoming vehicle? Its called RADAR.

Some cops use it to give you a speeding ticket, and some use it a device to know when to wave to you. :devil2:

AllanB
13th April 2008, 16:06
Its strange, but by some miracle of modern science they DO have the technology when driving along to register the speed of an oncoming vehicle? Its called RADAR.

Yeah - I was not sure if it was smart enough yet to take into account their speed as well, must be a bit of error there, with both vehicles travelling so many metres per second towards each other.

Probably also noticed my headlight dive as I braked to something legal :rolleyes:

marty
13th April 2008, 16:46
good grief alan where have you been? in-car moving-mode radar has been around in NZ since the early 80's at least.

there is minimal error - in fact, the greater the speed split, the more accurate it is - that's why cops do speed patrol at 80-ish km/h.

awayatc
13th April 2008, 17:18
Good thing though is I can't seem to find a licence plate on my front end....:chase:

AllanB
13th April 2008, 17:31
Good thing though is I can't seem to find a licence plate on my front end....:chase:

look out - apparently they are considering this in Aussie and if that goes ahead.........

good grief alan where have you been? in-car moving-mode radar has been around in NZ since the early 80's at least.

Hmmm I must have been asleep that year! Its been a long time since I had a speeding ticket on the bike - probably the late 80's! Lucky? Careful? probably get one next weekend now!

Man and there I was thinking they were all waving at me ha ha ha

Damantis
14th April 2008, 21:03
As long as they dont drop a u-turn and wipe out the next oncoming motorcyclist! Police are supposed to abandon pursuits if the thier speed exceeds 150kph, they end up in the shit if it turns to custard. . . So, if youre clocked doing 140+ and he turns around to chase you, speed up, cos they are govered to 220kph anyway and while police officers are not known for having above average intellegence, only an idiot would do that speed in a car with standard tyres and suspension AND risk losing thier job!

zaq
14th April 2008, 21:13
220kph ..... only an idiot would do that speed

oh, I thought you meant the idiot trying to get away

Mikkel
14th April 2008, 21:16
Yeah - I was not sure if it was smart enough yet to take into account their speed as well, must be a bit of error there, with both vehicles travelling so many metres per second towards each other.

Well, the technology is there. However, in countries where there is a higher respect for the individuals legal rights there have been raised issues regarding certification and errors in this regard. Also, there are places where the police needs a larger burden of evidence than claiming to have seen a number on a digital readout before they can issue a speeding ticket.

Another thought I had the other day. With this, long overdue, talk about banning the use of cellphones, etc while driving it might be worthwhile pointing out a dangerous flaw in police procedures. I have seen officers driving along at 110 km/h following the traffic in front pretty closely while operating their radar. Perhaps a standard procedure requiring two police officers to perform moving traffic enforcing was a good idea... Keeping focus on the radar unit can not possibly be considered safe!

As long as they dont drop a u-turn and wipe out the next oncoming motorcyclist! Police are supposed to abandon pursuits if the thier speed exceeds 150kph, they end up in the shit if it turns to custard. . . So, if youre clocked doing 140+ and he turns around to chase you, speed up, cos they are govered to 220kph anyway and while police officers are not known for having above average intellegence, only an idiot would do that speed in a car with standard tyres and suspension AND risk losing thier job!

Good to know - however, I suggest you manage to get a rather large gap and preferably a couple of corners between you and the police car before he has completed his U-turn. You can not be done for failing to stop unless you are being followed by a policecar with lights and sirens - or have been signaled to stop by a uniformed police officer.

Damantis
14th April 2008, 21:17
Nah mate, 180 should be enough, would blitz em in the corners anyway :Punk:

Caladbolg
14th April 2008, 21:18

The police have a class of pursuit car. Theres their class B cars which are all mufti cars. Then the class A cars which are fully marked patrol cars and they have a performance chip, upgraded suspension for handling and the governers removed and the 3.8l commodores will pull 240+. Then theres the new R8's. I went in a friends R8 and they haul arse. If they arent restricted i think they do 270+, the holden maloo utes did that speed

mister.koz
14th April 2008, 21:24
Nice peice of luck :)

I recently got one for "inappropriate class of license", driving up and down my road (reasonably quietly) on the GN after re-doing the electrics, went round the block and got stopped at a checkpoint (4 days before getting my learners). The cop was running to get stuff done because they were just setting up and it was busy (6 annoyed looking pissed cage drivers were already phoning home - wankers) so he took my licence and rego before talking to me. came back with the $400 ticket and heard my "just got the bike on the road, live just over there" story (which was true) and he was gutted... He didn't say anything but i got the idea that he wouldnt have done a ticket...

In my experience cops are pretty fair and they can't give you a ticket unless you brake the rules.

Damantis
14th April 2008, 21:25
Bugger! ... best resort to plan B: police cant continue a pursuit that becomes dangerous. If it's dark, turn of your lights, overtake on blind corners etc. If all else fails, pull over and fske an epileptic fit!:rolleyes:

Swoop
14th April 2008, 21:27
You can not be done for failing to stop unless you are being followed by a policecar with lights and sirens - or have been signaled to stop by a uniformed police officer.
Just remember, "it's not a pursuit if you don't know you are being chased".
Thank you Nelson!:cool:

AllanB
14th April 2008, 21:34
Bugger! ... best resort to plan B: police cant continue a pursuit that becomes dangerous. If it's dark, turn of your lights, overtake on blind corners etc. If all else fails, pull over and fske an epileptic fit!:rolleyes:

A1 - cracked me up you did!!!!!!

Damantis
14th April 2008, 21:37

I'll just break both mirrors and take a ticket for that if he gets alongside me! :innocent: Not to say we shouldn't all ride responsibly, but it can be a bit on the nose grtting a ticket for 130kph when youre cruising the open road in perfect conditions with minimal traffic. They need to concentrate on penalising people doing dangerous stuff rather than just chasing revenue:nono:

McJim
14th April 2008, 21:38
Hmmmm shall we wait for good ol' Scumdog to come along. He thinks these urban myths are quite amusing.

TimeOut
14th April 2008, 21:54
Their mothers should've told them it's rude to point and wave fingers.
Had them do it to me a couple of times, they can't have got a lock on the radar.
I've been told it can take 3 seconds to get a lock, may be wishful thinking though.

marty
14th April 2008, 22:04

so how was the 'Skidmark School of Being a Complete Tosser' anyway? did you get a student loan for that?

Mikkel
14th April 2008, 22:09
Their mothers should've told them it's rude to point and wave fingers.
Had them do it to me a couple of times, they can't have got a lock on the radar.
I've been told it can take 3 ceconds to get a lock, may be wishful thinking though.

Nah, instant-on radar is pretty much instant... :cry:

How about this idea: When the cop does a U-turn, so do you. He's then not behind you and you don't have to stop. Pass him, rinse and repeat until he gets dizzy and then pootle on home? :clap:

Mully
14th April 2008, 22:12
cos they are govered to 220kph anyway!

Wrong!! I have one and I can safely say it is not governed.

On a private closed road or track, only of course.

The police have a class of pursuit car. Theres their class B cars which are all mufti cars. Then the class A cars which are fully marked patrol cars and they have a performance chip, upgraded suspension for handling and the governers removed and the 3.8l commodores will pull 240+.

My understanding is that all Police cars (mufti or marked) are the same spec. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong though.

breakaway
14th April 2008, 22:33
I saw an unmarked Hyundai once. Didn't catch the model. Looked pretty 'standard' though. I wonder if it could pull 240+

Mully
14th April 2008, 22:34
I saw an unmarked Hyundai once. Didn't catch the model. Looked pretty 'standard' though. I wonder if it could pull 240+

Probably, straight down if you pushed it off a cliff.

HungusMaximist
15th April 2008, 05:50
Funny you guys mentioned the speed detectors on the cop cars.

Apparently, they have one in the front and the back.

So if you're behind them and speeding they can catch you out.

Sneaky!

TimeOut
15th April 2008, 07:21

:clap:

Thought it might have been wishful thinking

Funny you guys mentioned the speed detectors on the cop cars.

So if you're behind them and speeding they can catch you out.

Sneaky!

Yea they have, dem bears are getting smart

madbikeboy
15th April 2008, 07:42
<sigh>

They have a newish invention that allows them to communicate to other Police people. It's called a radio. The problem is that the radio "waves" seem to out run my scoot. I think I need a faster bike, or a transporter beam (Beam me up, Scotty!).

The other thing is that the radio waves seem to go up as well, and they get intercepted by funny looking aeroplanes with wings that go round and round. You can tell these funny looking aeroplanes because at night, they have huge lights which cast a beam, looking for evil motorcyclists...

With all this technology, you think they'd be working out how to reduce interest rates and how to catch actual criminals (and then actually convict the assholes).

Or they could use it for "real" good and work out how to get Trinny and Susannah out to help Aunty Helen...

:jerry:

YellowDog
15th April 2008, 08:13
Radar detectors are notoriously inaccurate. I would always contest a moving reading from the opposite direction. A UK mate who’s a cop told me to always ask to see their certificate of calibration and if they didn’t have one for that day, they couldn’t legitimately do you as it wouldn’t stand up in court. I don't know what the NZ rules are.

Swoop
15th April 2008, 08:17
Only some of them.

...how to get Trinny and Susannah out to help Aunty Helen...
It would be nicer if they got Smith and Wesson onto Heilen...:blip:

spudchucka
15th April 2008, 08:19

Only an idiot would believe that cops have to pull out of a pursuit at 150Kph, you'd be better off putting a couple of compact disks on the front of your car so they can't get a lock on you in the first place.

spudchucka
15th April 2008, 08:23
They need to concentrate on penalising people doing dangerous stuff rather than just chasing revenue:nono:

Like driving at night at high speed with your lights turned off and passing on blind corners??

Jantar
15th April 2008, 09:45
...you'd be better off putting a couple of compact disks on the front of your car so they can't get a lock on you in the first place.

Wrapping tin foil around your helmet may be more effective. :whistle:

spudchucka
15th April 2008, 09:50
Wrapping tin foil around your helmet may be more effective. :whistle:

Yep, it needs to be about four or five layers thick around the visor to work properly though.

Another good method is to stuff tin foil strips up your arse and fart them out when you see a cop car that is trying to get a lock on you. The only down side is riding with a bare arse or getting your leathers modified to have a rip cord operated flap for easy deployment.

Deano
15th April 2008, 10:02
Another good method is to stuff tin foil strips up your arse and fart them out when you see a cop car that is trying to get a lock on you.

Chuff chaff ? Or chafe ?

YellowDog
15th April 2008, 12:54
There could always be a stray US fighter jet close by to lock onto the radar gun a resolve the problem with a little Friendly Fire!

Morcs
15th April 2008, 12:55
The police have a class of pursuit car. Theres their class B cars which are all mufti cars. Then the class A cars which are fully marked patrol cars and they have a performance chip, upgraded suspension for handling and the governers removed and the 3.8l commodores will pull 240+. Then theres the new R8's. I went in a friends R8 and they haul arse. If they arent restricted i think they do 270+, the holden maloo utes did that speed

Bah. I wasted a late model SS V8 at the drags - and he had a 2 second headstart, and only hit 164 over the line.

How about this idea: When the cop does a U-turn, so do you. He's then not behind you and you don't have to stop. Pass him, rinse and repeat until he gets dizzy and then pootle on home? :clap:

Or with Radar, when you pass a cop at speed, and he uses instant on, you know hes pinged you so you can act accordingly (difference of opinion), otherwise If you pass a cop car speeding, and you dont get pinged, slow down, and let him pull you over. Then he will proceed to ask you how fast you were going - of course trying to get a confession as he actually didnt catch you...

Edbear
15th April 2008, 13:02
...that's why cops do speed patrol at 80-ish km/h.

Ah, wondered why they drive so slowly...:yes:

Unfortunatley they do get a bit upset if you don't stop, and they call up a patrol up ahead to stop you. Happened to ZX10 riding young chap I know. He had earplugs in, an aftermarket exhaust and with the mirrors only showing his elbows, didn't know he was being pursued!

The marked car that pulled him over when he got to the next lights, said to him, "My mate wants to talk to you!" Took over ten minutes for the pursuing cop to turn up...

Al
15th April 2008, 13:16
Our local coppers have a new fangled device attached to the side of their vehicle and this bastard thing records speed of vehicles in front of as well as behind the police vehicle!
Luckily the local coppers are good mates of mine and always let me know where they will be trapping and if they are on the highway... They have a vast area to patrol, so not a case of different officers at different times.

scumdog
15th April 2008, 13:17
! Police are supposed to abandon pursuits if the thier speed exceeds 150kph,

Mwahahah that old chestnut of an urban myth rears its ugly head again - where DO you people get this shit from???
mwahahahah!!!! (goes away shaking head muttering 'people are sooo gullible')

scumdog
15th April 2008, 13:20
If you pass a cop car speeding, and you dont get pinged, slow down, and let him pull you over. Then he will proceed to ask you how fast you were going - of course trying to get a confession as he actually didnt catch you...

And you will know he didn't 'ping' you (before deciding to stop you) HOW???

Sheeesh..........

Morcs
15th April 2008, 13:49
And you will know he didn't 'ping' you (before deciding to stop you) HOW???

Sheeesh..........

Because the radar wont go off at all.

although I know there is a slight chance that they fail to pick up signals.

scumdog
15th April 2008, 13:56
Because the radar wont go off at all.

although I know there is a slight chance that they fail to pick up signals.

Going by you sig your policy must be working a treat eh??:devil2:

Coldrider
15th April 2008, 14:05
Mwahahah that old chestnut of an urban myth rears its ugly head again - where DO you people get this shit from???
mwahahahah!!!! (goes away shaking head muttering 'people are sooo gullible')Please don't dispel the muth of putting goldilocks or steelos in ya hubcaps, I'd be gutted.

bully
15th April 2008, 17:35
half the time there radars arnt on untill they see you.
its obvious but break hard, its harder for them to lock on and you can lessen the offence. once pulled over they have to prove your speed, they will ask you if you wana see it on the radar, go have a look. ask them if they have a licence to operate the hawlk radar, alot of them dont, there spose too, if they get shitty they proberly havnt. this happened to me it showed my speed on the radar but he said oh no you wernt that fast and lessened it.
im pretty sure you can get off in court if they dont, im just not sure if they need to show you.
if they say they went off there speedo ask to see the calabration certificate.

after riding my r1 then getting into my 5.7 ss im highly dissapointed, so if your doing 140+ and the roads and conditions are right id have a go.... smoke em. but take care radios are faster.

SPman
15th April 2008, 18:08
.....and while police officers are not known for having above average intellegence, only an idiot would do that speed in a car with standard tyres and suspension AND risk losing thier job!

But - motorists do it all the time.............

Edbear
15th April 2008, 18:35
But - motorists do it all the time.............

I think you've just made his point...:whistle:

scumdog
15th April 2008, 23:22
half the time there radars arnt on untill they see you.
its obvious but break hard, its harder for them to lock on and you can lessen the offence. once pulled over they have to prove your speed, they will ask you if you wana see it on the radar, go have a look. ask them if they have a licence to operate the hawlk radar, alot of them dont, there spose too, if they get shitty they proberly havnt. this happened to me it showed my speed on the radar but he said oh no you wernt that fast and lessened it.
im pretty sure you can get off in court if they dont, im just not sure if they need to show you.
if they say they went off there speedo ask to see the calabration certificate.

after riding my r1 then getting into my 5.7 ss im highly dissapointed, so if your doing 140+ and the roads and conditions are right id have a go.... smoke em. but take care radios are faster.

There's a lot of bullshit in the above post - particularly the second line...

Mikkel
15th April 2008, 23:34
Radar detectors are notoriously inaccurate. I would always contest a moving reading from the opposite direction. A UK mate who’s a cop told me to always ask to see their certificate of calibration and if they didn’t have one for that day, they couldn’t legitimately do you as it wouldn’t stand up in court. I don't know what the NZ rules are.

I think something as scientific as an actual metrology certificate and a calibration schedule is likely to be frowned upon down here.

However, there is a procedure in place regarding calibration none-the-less. The highway patrollers will do it as a matter of routine and most real crime cops will do it if they issue a ticket. It does not have to be done in advance, just at some point during the shift. At least that's what a mate of mine has told me... (and yes, he's a cop)

If you get a speeding ticket from a real crime cop you could be lucky that the calibration hasn't been done and get off the ticket though...

awayatc
16th April 2008, 02:47
At least that's what a mate of mine has told me... (and yes, he's a cop)

The company you keep.......;)

woodhillkamikaze
16th April 2008, 16:42

really? police cars don't have standard tyres or suspension... and they can go as fast as is safe... so i'd pull over.. i'd rather lose my licence and stay alive... beats dying... lol

Coldrider
16th April 2008, 16:49
Anything over 200kph is getting a bit rich for a 3.6L commodore, they don't exactly rev at the top end like a litre sprotsbike, and how many straights can a car sustain those sort of speeds.

woodhillkamikaze
16th April 2008, 16:51

Depends on whether or not yuo think you can lay your GN250 over far enough... lol when you've tried what you're saying and are still alive please inform us of the result... I'd be interested to know which 'idiot' comes out best...

woodhillkamikaze
16th April 2008, 16:53
Anything over 200kph is getting a bit rich for a 3.6L commodore, they don't exactly rev at the top end like a litre sprotsbike, and how many straights can a car sustain those sort of speeds.

you'd be surprised... anyhow... radios work quicker and a description of a motorbike isn't hard to pass on... so i think its safer picking your 'speeding' times and not getting caught...

Coldrider
16th April 2008, 17:00
you'd be surprised... anyhow... radios work quicker and a description of a motorbike isn't hard to pass on... so i think its safer picking your 'speeding' times and not getting caught...
I'm not arguing about doing a runner from the cops, it's the overstating of the performance of the cars that is the point.
I have a 3.8litre supercharged commodore and i know it takes torque, weight and drag to produce a certain speed and the 3.6L holden does not stack up.
If you wnat to put distance between yourself and a following vehicle it is the faster acceleration from every corner and a higher constant cornering speed that will do it. When it comes to hard facts drivers of VE commodores are having major visibility problems.

woodhillkamikaze
16th April 2008, 18:42
yeah thats true... although i reckon some riders out there who think they're good would fall off before the end of the first corner.

Ting Tong
18th April 2008, 07:53

What the ??? where do you get this info from the back of a weetbix packet?? Police arent governed to any speed and yes the cars will do over 250kmh! They only abandon pursuits if it dangerous to other members of the public but always remember that the helicopter can keep up with anything and the radio is quicker than any bike! As for intelligence, well right back at you! what idiot would risk their life trying to evade the Police for something stupid as speeding, want to lose your life? you might think your a good rider but you aint that good to cheat death! :Oi:

Deano
18th April 2008, 08:02
always remember that the helicopter can keep up with anything

What is the top speed of an Eagle Helicopter ?

I personally didn't think they were capable of much over 160kph but they do have the benefit of a bee line.

Coldrider
18th April 2008, 09:02
The fastest helicopter ever built was for the french military, only 6 made, and they were built for one purpose, top speed, and 300KPH is it.
They had one at wanaka air show in 2002.

Coyote
18th April 2008, 09:29
Only an idiot would believe that cops have to pull out of a pursuit at 150Kph, you'd be better off putting a couple of compact disks on the front of your car so they can't get a lock on you in the first place.

mwahahahah!!!! (goes away shaking head muttering 'people are sooo gullible')
So there is no restriction to how fast a pursuit can go?

There's a lot of bullshit in the above post - particularly the second line...
Ooo, so we can outrun the radio?!

I've been 'rebelling' since late 2005, and all I've got to show for it is a 63k ticket in a 50 zone in my first month of riding. I thought it was a 70 zone since the cars in front of me were going that speed. Thought the mufti cop going the opposite direction would've pinged them first, but I guess the L plate at the end of the queue was an easier target (where's the sarcastic "sigh, that's fair" looking smilie?).

avgas
18th April 2008, 09:55
Don't worry - that cop car was stolen.
Hense the rap music.
I saw it parked outside Killa Beez HQ - 4Square, Manurewa.

breakaway
18th April 2008, 10:33
Pop a wheelie if you're travelling at a high rate of knots and see a cop coming towards you. I hear its notoriously difficult to get a speed reading off header pipes.