PDA

View Full Version : Biker down on Rimutakas (13/4/08)

Coyote
13th April 2008, 15:56
Going through there with dirt bikes in tow, saw a green Speed Triple mangled on the side of the road, about 500m away from the summit on the Upper Hutt side. Several cars were parked alongside and the biker was being looked after. He was wrapped up in a blanket and people were keeping the traffic moving.

Not sure what happened. Not sure if a car was involved. Went by too quickly to get a good look at the bike but I don't remember the front wheel still on it. Everything looked rough.

At the bottom of the hill, a mufti car and a police wagon screamed past. Awesome sight really. Surprised how far away they were though.

Then saw an ambulance along the 80k strip. Even more surprised how much further away that was. Scary to think it takes so long for an ambulance to arrive up the hill.

Anyone know anything more?

MIXONE
13th April 2008, 16:00
I saw him only minutes before that and he didn't appear to be travelling excessively fast.

Masterchop
13th April 2008, 17:48
I arrived just as the ambulance arrived,the bike was planted in the bank and I think the forks were snapped off.
Rider was still down.

henry
13th April 2008, 20:16
There were cops hanging around at the bottom when we went through just after 2. Surprised it took so long for them to get the message.

Korea
13th April 2008, 22:51
Eeek~ passed through there just an hour earlier on way home from Wairarapa. Hope rider's okay~

Keep it safe all~

Eddieb
14th April 2008, 09:31
We passed through at a guess maybe 2-3 minutes after it happened. Rider was lying on the road and moving about with plenty of people in support. He rolled from his side to his back unassisted as we went past.

From a slow drive past I didn't see any other damaged vehicles. It looked like the bike was heading down hill, and had gone off the left side of the road into the ditch and flipped end over end.
Thats purely my speculation though and is only based on how the vehicle and rider were placed.

The front wheel was smashed and the wheel and fork lowers ripped clean off. The front wheel was a full five feet uphill from the bike which was upside down in the ditch facing back uphill and the rider was 5 feet further down the road. I think the bike was one of those kermit green Speed 3's or 4's.

Also saw 2 seperate instances of Harleys being loaded onto the back of trucks as well in our travels.

MIXONE
14th April 2008, 09:41
It was my first time over the Taka's yesterday and while it's a great bit of road I can see how it would catch out riders in an instant.Too much traffic yesterday so I'll try it again mid-week.
Very friendly cop over on the Piecock road though.He waved his finger at me.(thanks to the lady pushbike rider for the warning that he was there!)

Insanity_rules
14th April 2008, 14:31
I live at the foot of the hill and I could hear the emergency services roaring up the road over the sound of the lawn mower.

Marknz
14th April 2008, 21:24
Very friendly cop over on the Piecock road though.He waved his finger at me

I got that wave too :niceone:

prvoke
15th April 2008, 16:32
i went past 2 over paekok yesterday 11.30ish. 1st one looked like he was going to turn around as i went past a lil too quick, 2nd one surprised me as i was acclerating to put some distance between the 1st. Think i was pretty lucky in the end

MIXONE
15th April 2008, 16:38
Be careful if you are using the roads around there as I've seen heaps of unmarked boyos roving around as well.

Number One
15th April 2008, 18:33
What MIXONE said...AND watch out for all the fuckwits who can't stay on their own side of the road too!

Madness
15th April 2008, 18:38
I think that cop must just sit by the Pauatahanui Golf Curse entrance and just point his finger at bikers all day.

The Piecock is bad for centre line crossers for most of it's length. The Taka's have just a couple of prone corners where you're likely to get very friendly with a truck, bus or van.

The Taka's have had another busy season, Respect.