PDA

View Full Version : First race and disaster/disappointment

oldguy
13th April 2008, 21:35
Well what a day, North Harbour MiniMotoX club day, the grandson was so looking forward to racing his KX65 in anger today, as I had moved him up from the trail class, he hadn't had much time on the 65, so this was going to be the did I do the right thing or not.
Practice session he was nervous and excited at the same time, and to be honest I was as well.
They were lead away on there first lap, he settled in quick, once the rider leading them around pulled in to the pits, they were off, three practice laps to sort out any problems, and get to grips with the track, he was doing Ok, second last, to be expected.
Back to the pits, ask him hows it, he's got this big grin on his face, he's just loving it, how's the bike feel, no problems.
Line up first race, get shit gate pick, but what the hell he's just happy being on the start line, he got a great start almost a hole shot, funny thing is, we had only practice his starting yesterday afternoon (Saturday) , as he was still trying to get use to the clutch, F**K I must be a good teacher hahah.
After they got away he had four bikes go past him before the first turn, I spoke to him later he said it was when he went to change gear that most of them went by, something else we need to practice.
Anyhow he settled in around midfield 6th in a field of 12, he was doing better than I expected, was having a good battle with another rider who was hounding him, even got in front of him, but Jean was faster on the uphill turn so got back in front of him, and manage to put a bit of a gap on him.
He gets the white flag, Last lap yeah, I turn around just for a moment turn back and Jeans on the ground, I run over to check he's trying to start his bike, I go what happened, he said it just stopped, then the rear just locked up and over he went, I gave it a couple of kicks nothing, so he didn't get to finish the race.
Was talking to a guy, who said the same thing happened to his sons bike,
he said it could have dropped a piston ring, we did fire it up but didn't sound to good so shut it down and put her on the trailer.
I think by the end of the day he could have picked up a couple more places, as they normally have, three 10min + 2 laps races
Oh well thats racing.
the best thing about it, is the young fella had a ball

oldguy
13th April 2008, 21:39
Oh I did manage to take some pics as well

krad_nz
13th April 2008, 21:39
Doesn't sound too bad!

I was expecting more of a harrowing tale :)

Bad luck really, but that's motor sport isn't it. Cruel mistress. :)

oldguy
13th April 2008, 21:46
After we loaded the bike up on the trailer, we walked up the hill to check out the big boys race, as his club day was held a Fells Farm.
The pics are in no particular order or class.

oldguy
13th April 2008, 21:50
more..........

oldguy
13th April 2008, 21:55
do you want more..... well here.

oldguy
13th April 2008, 21:59
still more...

oldguy
13th April 2008, 22:03
last lot....

clmintie
13th April 2008, 22:31
I was expecting a worse tale of woe from the tittle too.... Sounds like he really enjoyed himself (apart from the mechanical hiccup). Track looked fun, if a little dusty...

oldguy
13th April 2008, 22:33
Doesn't sound too bad!

I was expecting more of a harrowing tale :)

Bad luck really, but that's motor sport isn't it. Cruel mistress. :) yea will pull the top off tomorrow night, when get home from work, no problem getting
a piston and rings, its the barrel im worried about.

gijoe1313
13th April 2008, 22:36
Wow, the young'un got a grin from ear to ear! Hes going to be addicted for life now! :woohoo:

On ya fer doing the kewl Dad thing, so now you working on that bike, hows the Buell coming along? All sorted?

oldguy
13th April 2008, 22:42
I was expecting a worse tale of woe from the tittle too.... Sounds like he really enjoyed himself (apart from the mechanical hiccup). Track looked fun, if a little dusty... think it is over tittled, but yea had an awesome all be it short days racing, bit hard when your racing on a budget, may have to sell the DR.
Hows your girl enjoying her new bike,:niceone: go out for a ride today.

oldguy
13th April 2008, 22:47
Wow, the young'un got a grin from ear to ear! Hes going to be addicted for life now! :woohoo:

On ya fer doing the kewl Dad thing, so now you working on that bike, hows the Buell coming along? All sorted?looking at mid may before i get the Buell back.
feel like a junky going through withdrawals, :crybaby: