PDA

View Full Version : DOT 3 fluid?

tone_crafter
13th April 2008, 21:52
Been trying to get some new DOT 3 brake fluid for my 1989 ZXR250a. Went to repco today and the guy there told me they don't make it anymore and to use DOT 4.

I was under the impression that DOT 3 and 4 fluids were a totally different compound. Can someone let me know what would be a good brake fluid to use in my bike and where to get it?

BadCompany
13th April 2008, 23:35
Red Baron (http://www.redbaron.co.nz/), Mt Eden Motorcycles (http://www.mtedenmotorcycles.co.nz/), Motorcycles and Power Sports (http://www.amps.co.nz/). Heaps of bike shops around Auckland you could try. However I only know definately that Red Baron would sell such a thing.

White trash
14th April 2008, 07:01
Been trying to get some new DOT 3 brake fluid for my 1989 ZXR250a. Went to repco today and the guy there told me they don't make it anymore and to use DOT 4.

I was under the impression that DOT 3 and 4 fluids were a totally different compound. Can someone let me know what would be a good brake fluid to use in my bike and where to get it?
DOT 4 or DOT 4+ surpasses DOT 3 brake fluid in every aspect get it.

Do NOT be suckered into putting DOT 5 or 5.1 in your bike.

Tony.OK
14th April 2008, 07:13
Do NOT be suckered into putting DOT 5 or 5.1 in your bike.

I know DOT 5(synthetic) is not compatable with DOT 4,but whats wrong with DOT 5.1?It is compatable with DOT4 its just rated to a higher temp and is less hydroscopic.

tone_crafter
14th April 2008, 08:39
Any advice on a particualar good brand anyone?

Henk
15th April 2008, 21:57
DOT 5 is not compatible, not sure but I think you are right on the mineral synthetic thing, DOT 5.1 can be used, is higher temp rated and way more hygrscopic. Fine if you need the temp and are prepared to replace your fluid way more often than I can be bothered with. Just get some DOT4, the brands are pretty much all the same.

imdying
16th April 2008, 08:34
Been trying to get some new DOT 3 brake fluid for my 1989 ZXR250a. Went to repco today and the guy there told me they don't make it anymore and to use DOT 4.Yes, DOT 3 and 4 (and 5.1) will mix fine. Generally can't buy 3 any more.

Red Baron (http://www.redbaron.co.nz/), Mt Eden Motorcycles (http://www.mtedenmotorcycles.co.nz/), Motorcycles and Power Sports (http://www.amps.co.nz/). Heaps of bike shops around Auckland you could try. However I only know definately that Red Baron would sell such a thing.Or Repco, or any service station or or or..

DOT 4 or DOT 4+ surpasses DOT 3 brake fluid in every aspect get it.

Do NOT be suckered into putting DOT 5 or 5.1 in your bike.5 is bad (silicon based), 5.1 is fine.

I know DOT 5(synthetic) is not compatable with DOT 4,but whats wrong with DOT 5.1?It is compatable with DOT4 its just rated to a higher temp and is less hydroscopic.5.1 is likely to me marginally more hygroscopic (not hydro), nothing that should concern you.

Any advice on a particualar good brand anyone?Motul, Castrol, any of the big brands you recognise... not that it'll matter much.

Tony.OK
16th April 2008, 10:19
5.1 is likely to me marginally more hygroscopic (not hydro), nothing that should concern you.

Beg your pardon........never liked science:lol:
Maybe seen Grease to many times thinking of 'this car is hydrostatic':pinch:

Max Preload
16th April 2008, 10:22
I've found DOT 5.1 to have a little less lever feel so I use Super DOT4.

skidMark
16th April 2008, 10:28

Anything does the job mate.

I onlyh ever put the best of anything on in or on my bike, especially for brakes and tyres. they are you life right there.

Max Preload
16th April 2008, 10:43
DOT 5 is not compatible, not sure but I think you are right on the mineral synthetic thing, DOT 5.1 can be used, is higher temp rated and way more hygroscopic.

It's not synthetic and mineral - the difference is silicone (DOT5) and glycol bases (the rest). DOT5 is not hygroscopic in the least and that is why it needs more frequent changes. Moisture collects in pools rather than becoming evenly distributed and corrodes the area in which it collects and under severe heat will flash off as steam when the hydraulic pressure is removed after braking (i.e. you release the lever). This will cause the brakes to drag, at the very least.

imdying
16th April 2008, 10:54
Ja, DOT 5 was developed for the US Army, and even they don't use it anymore which tells you something. It's shite, avoid. That is all.

bert_is_evil
16th April 2008, 11:42

I like the Mobil one, it's blue :love:

tone_crafter
16th April 2008, 13:09
Cool thanks for the help everyone. My brakes have degraded quite a bit since I got the bike a few months ago so I'm trying to sort them out. May need to change the pads too.

imdying
16th April 2008, 13:52
You should strip and clean the calipers.

Max Preload
16th April 2008, 14:28
You should strip and clean the calipers.

Seconded. It makes the world of difference when the pistons and/or slides can move freely.

FilthyLuka
16th April 2008, 18:20
Anything does the job mate.

I onlyh ever put the best of anything on in or on my bike, especially for brakes and tyres. they are you life right there.

Really? You sure? Cause a toasted big end says you don't put ANYTHING in your bike... :p (ill stop the petty digs soon, i promise)

But the Kalamari Kid has a point, put good fluids in your bike. I always use Castrol brake fluid in everything, just cause i'm a brand bashing consumer whore.

Pussy
17th April 2008, 10:04
... so I use Super DOT4.

I've been using Castrol Response Super DOT 4 in our bikes for several years now. Bloody good fluid. The Super DOT 4 comes in a silver container (regular Response is in the red container), and is clear, it goes amber with age, and is a good indication on when to change it

Max Preload
17th April 2008, 10:28
I've been using Castrol Response Super DOT 4 in our bikes for several years now. Bloody good fluid. The Super DOT 4 comes in a silver container (regular Response is in the red container), and is clear, it goes amber with age, and is a good indication on when to change it

That's exactly what I use too. For some reason I always end up using Castrol products - Magnatec oil in the car, R4 oil in the bike, Response Super DOT4 in both, their rubber grease etc. and I used TTS Extra in my NS400 too.