PDA

View Full Version : XB12R...

ching_ching
14th December 2004, 17:38
Hi folks,

Here's my initial review of the Buell XB12R Firebolt after one weeks use. This, from the perspective of a 39 year old who's been riding for all the best of just over 2 years and without the technical specification-type jargon thrown in.

After coming from a Japanese GSX-R600, it certainly is... different.
Just looking at it you notice it's short-wheel base, kinda bunty looking like me. I'm 5'8" and quite comfortably am able to touch both feet (short of most of my heels) to the ground at stop. Buell also make a model where the suspension is lowered a further 2" or so. The front fairing with it's twin, small round headlight configuration makes it look like it's got a real face which glares at the road if you know what I mean. I noticed that the gear lever faces towards the riders foot unlike the Gixxer before where the gear lever originated from below the left footpeg and pointed frontwards. In this respect I found out, like other users have indicated that when you put the sidestand down, you gotta be careful about catching the gear lever with your foot (like slapping it into gear if you have it in neutral.

Those who may not know much about Buells (me included) will be interested to know that Buell has incorporated a few tricks in having some of the parts play dual roles and putting things in different places. The fuel is in the frame, the oil is kept in the swingarm and he's positioned the exhaust pipe underneath. All these things to keep the centre-of-gravity low. Instead of the ole "O" or "X" ring chain as final drive, it's got a reinforced belt whose tension is kept pretty much constant and maintenance free by an additional "idler" pulley wheel. Alriiighttt, no more oiliing and tensioning the chain :niceone: . The front braking system is a disk rotor that spans the inside circumference of the wheel. Apparently they saved quite a bit of unsprung weight in this area whereas other manufacturers try to shave off ounces in comparison. Apart from that, the bike looks like your usual "sports" looking bike with bikini fairing ala SV1000S.

"So Ching, quit the horseshit and just tell us how it rides". Well thumb the starter and it erupts into life. What a sound!! You can't mistake a Harley engine, there ain't nothing like it. If buying a bike is based solely on sound of motor then I can understand why people buy Harleys. And talk about the shakes! It's like this bike's got 20kgs of heated up Mexican Jumping Beans in it's ass... pffhhhttt, pffhhttt. You certainly notice the mirrors vibrating. It's like the thing's saying "OI, STOP FUCKING AROUND AND JUMP ON! LET'S GO... NOW!!!" Apparently the vibration used to be a problem with earlier models. When coupled with the sidestand, if you were to warm the bike up while putting on your gear it used to walk off the stand and drop. Doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. Now apparently the vibrating smoothes out once you get going and that's true up to a point. But if you want to get rid of quite a bit of the vibration then you definitely need to break the speed barrier big time... I "ahem" experimented concerning this aspect, with God as my witness and nobody else if you get my drift.

Changing gears seems good going up but downshifting seems quite sluggish at times. But I'm getting used to it after having being used to slick Japanese close-ratio gearboxes. The seating position isn't as extreme as the Gixxer or other sports bikes that I've ridden and the bikini-type fairing afforded ample wind protection.

Turning seems to be good obviously attributed to a combination of low centre-of-gravity, short wheel base and rake / trail. I don't know if it's AS good as a comparable crotch rocket, maybe I just need more seat time. But one thing I've got to get used to is hardly touching the gear lever. On corners if a person on a similar Japanese Inline 4 sportsbike needed to tap down a gear or two to maintain momentum / revs, you don't need to touch the gear lever on the Buell. Due to the tuned torque over the rev range one just needs to roll off the handle then wind it on coming out of the corner even in top, let the torque pull and fling you out... kinda like a 5yr old kid flicking a goobie off his finger really.

Stopping doesn't seem to be anything special but works good. Have felt a bit of chatter when putting on the stoppers at high speed (maybe different pads needed, not too sure). Mirrors work OK as long as you adjust them correctly.

Finish on this machine looks superb. I shot over to Taupo last week for a jaunt and a McDonald's Kiwiburger. Parked it just off the footpath by the bicycle stand that's just outside the southern entrance. And I parked my ass up on a table looking straight at the bike. Kids, Dads, chicks and their beaus, old timers... it caught quite a few double takes and stares. I put it down to... yeah looking good but also looking a tad different. Apart from the sound, there's no mistaking the look of a Buell as well.

Which brings me to the last part of this review. The engine. It's the Thunderstorm 1203cc 45 degree V-Twin. Primarily Harley based and tooled but with a few model specific tweaks. Broad power delivery over the rev range with torque. You can cruise at 120kmph on the clear, open road at 3500rpm. You can be in top gear at 70kmph and without changng gears just wind the throttle and pass the cage in front of you. Pickup is very fast indeed (Cruiser and VTwin riders will know what I mean).

My take on it is this. It's a sportsbike with a Hog motor slapped in. Which, in essence is what I think it is. Along with the innovative design features Buell has incorporated it certainly makes for a different ride... for me anyway. The Buell exudes character and personality something I heard from riders about their own particular machines but didn't quite fathom until now. The Buell will never outrun or out-turn a refined, surgical precision type Japanese sportbike expecially when they hit their powerbands. But it wasn't built from these specs. For a good days hoon, a bit of fun, able to carve when needed and when you want to be stylin' when you're out riding, try on a Buell for size. Don't buy this bike if you're after something brimming with technology, ballistic speed, cheaper in price or if you're in the advanced throes of arthritis... the vibration may aggravate your condition. :buggerd:

RRP is $19495- at present for the 1203cc models. Buell also put out litre versions as well. Lighter, less powerful and more revvier motors but fun still the same and about a couple of grand cheaper. The one I scored was second hand, had 4,500ks on the clock with race kit thrown in. (Feb04 model). Will try and do a followup a couple of weeks down the line.

Later folks,

ching ching

Storm
14th December 2004, 17:54
Nice writeup mate, clear and easy to understand for joe bloggs on the street.
Top work :niceone:

James Deuce
14th December 2004, 18:18
It will out turn a Jappa - Performance Bikes just tested a range of sportsbikes from 400s to 1200s and the XB12R had the lowest aggregate time through a large selection of corners.

Nice score and an excellent write up!

2_SL0
14th December 2004, 18:24
Nice clear no nonsense write up. Excellent. I will be keen to see how the bike holds up, hopefully no problems. :niceone:

Skunk
14th December 2004, 18:50
Thanks for the write. Excellent work.

Hitcher
14th December 2004, 18:52
Great write-up. Almost as good a literature!

The Buell is one of a list of bikes I'm too scared to ride (in case I really like it)...

Mind you I haven't dreamed about owning a Buell yet. Maybe that night is still to come?

riffer
14th December 2004, 18:55
Damn your eyes Chingster.

I'm officially jealous now.

Does it fit up on your gargre workbench (table) or is it too heavy?

And does it have the official Stinkarse seal of approval?

FzerozeroT
14th December 2004, 19:19
let us know when you get your sliders down, the short wheelbase should mean it's a hell of a sharp turn. I don't know anyone who has yet.

ching_ching
14th December 2004, 19:47
It will out turn a Jappa - Performance Bikes just tested a range of sportsbikes from 400s to 1200s and the XB12R had the lowest aggregate time through a large selection of corners.

In that case my riding is sheight!! OMG

"I'M NOT WORTHY, I'M NOT WORTHY!!! :crybaby: :baby:

ching_ching
14th December 2004, 19:53
Damn your eyes Chingster.

I'm officially jealous now.

Does it fit up on your gargre workbench (table) or is it too heavy?

Fits just right. :niceone:

And does it have the official Stinkarse seal of approval?
She has already somewhat christened it by lifting her tail and giving it her spray of approval. No probs, she's on her last legs. I've just given her a written warning that her present position of employment is at a precarious point. No pissing around the worksite.

ching_ching
14th December 2004, 19:56
let us know when you get your sliders down, the short wheelbase should mean it's a hell of a sharp turn. I don't know anyone who has yet.

Didn't you see the scrubbing on those pads I had? Or was that when I used them for learning to rollerblade? :spudwhat: :wacko:

Have a Merry Christmas if I don't see you next time I'm up Foot.

ching

James Deuce
14th December 2004, 20:00
In that case my riding is sheight!! OMG

"I'M NOT WORTHY, I'M NOT WORTHY!!! :crybaby: :baby:

Don't be silly :) You've just got it, and they are REALLY sensitive to suspension setup. It would be worth your while to find someone who knows what they are doing to help you set it up for your weight and riding style. You'll be amazed how much difference it can make. Good AND Bad. :)

ching_ching
14th December 2004, 20:09
Don't be silly :) You've just got it, and they are REALLY sensitive to suspension setup. It would be worth your while to find someone who knows what they are doing to help you set it up for your weight and riding style. You'll be amazed how much difference it can make. Good AND Bad. :)

Yeah, I know you're right. Got a local Duck owner here who's been ridng for years, best I hit him up.

James Deuce
14th December 2004, 20:15
Yeah, I know you're right. Got a local Duck owner here who's been ridng for years, best I hit him up.

I just read what I wrote and it is a touch patronising. My apologies. I meant it within the context of getting soldi advice and stuff, not that you're a loser n00b.

Sorry. I'm a pompous poohole sometimes!

Devil
18th December 2004, 09:15
Popped into Welly Motorcycles and introduced myself to the trashman while I was in wgtn yesterday and he kindly fired up an xb9s with race system on it for me. I nearly wet myself. Love the noise! I want!

ching_ching
18th December 2004, 09:56
Popped into Welly Motorcycles and introduced myself to the trashman while I was in wgtn yesterday and he kindly fired up an xb9s with race system on it for me. I nearly wet myself. Love the noise! I want!

Yeah Dev, different sound altogether for a sports type bike huh?

White Trash still around. I was beginning to wonder haven't heard boo from him for ages.
ching

scroter
19th December 2004, 16:19

Nice score and an excellent write up!

there was no cheating either, all of them on the same tyres etc.

how to beat a GSXR600K4 and a ZX10R thru them corners...

... get a XB12R.

they reckon it was the most stable of the lot and thats with the gear lever scrapping the road.

ching_ching
19th December 2004, 20:11
Hi gang,

Well, went for a blat today to suss out the mileage of the Buell.

Route taken:

Up Waihi Hill, turned off at Kuratau then Western access (back road to Whakamaru). Turned off half-way at Whangamata Road which takes you to Taupo via past Kinloch... basically taking the ass end to Taupo. Some long sweepers, a few long straights, traffic was sparse in both directions.

Filled up at Shell Tokaanu and reset the trip meters.

Weather was overcast with just the occasional sprinkles here and there. Quite forceful crosswinds during the entire ride. Average speed during the ride was around 110-120kph. A couple of times I opened her up a bit when the only witness was God.
Got to Taupo BP and checked the trip meters... (96.7km). Topped up the tank again, costing $5.10. Roughly works out to about 4.3L used for this distance. So on a full 14L tank, might be able to squeeze out about 310-315km, roughly 22.5km per litre.

I think I got that right. Haven't checked out how much the reserve is set at... might suss that out later.

FYI

ching ching :spudwave:

MSTRS
19th December 2004, 20:26
Hi gang,

Well, went for a blat today to suss out the mileage of the Buell.

Route taken:

Up Waihi Hill, turned off at Kuratau then Western access (back road to Whakamaru). Turned off half-way at Whangamata Road which takes you to Taupo via past Kinloch... basically taking the ass end to Taupo. Some long sweepers, a few long straights, traffic was sparse in both directions.

Filled up at Shell Tokaanu with High Octane and reset the trip meters.

Weather was overcast with just the occasional sprinkles here and there. Quite forceful crosswinds during the entire ride. Average speed during the ride was around 110-120kph. A couple of times I opened her up a bit when the only witness was God.
Got to Taupo BP and checked the trip meters... (96.7km). Topped up the tank again, costing $5.10. Roughly works out to about 4.3L used for this distance. So on a full 14L tank, might be able to squeeze out about 310-315km, roughly 22.5km per litre.

I think I got that right. Haven't checked out how much the reserve is set at... might suss that out later.

FYI

ching ching :spudwave:
Sounds like a nice bike/a bike likes nice sounds. Good handling, good performance, good economy. Pity I still really like my gixxer

moko
20th December 2004, 04:54
Latest Harley Sportster has engine mods first used on the Buells.They`ve just bought out a new,cheaper bike here called the "City X",unfortunately also the name of a limited edition Mini Metro a few years back,totally crap car.Apart from that they finally seem to have shaken their appalling reliability/build quality issues of a few years back and RIDE magazine did a 1000 mile trip on one alongside an SV1000 with no problems.By way of comparison the same mag gave up on a long-term test Buell prior to that because it was forever going back to the importers for repair,not a good sign when it`s actually the importer`s bike,and a used one broke down terminally before it even got to them for a used bike comparison.Seems from what I`ve heard that the older ones are either brilliant or a pile of troublesome crap with nothing in between,hopefully they`ve cracked it now,I`d love one if only I could be sure it`d stay in one piece in everyday use,certainly looks the part.

ching_ching
20th December 2004, 06:53
Sounds like a nice bike/a bike likes nice sounds. Good handling, good performance, good economy. Pity I still really like my gixxer

Stick with the gixx. Zuki are good solid bikes if my previous ride is anything to go by. :niceone:

ching

ching_ching
20th December 2004, 07:02
Latest Harley Sportster has engine mods first used on the Buells.They`ve just bought out a new,cheaper bike here called the "City X",unfortunately also the name of a limited edition Mini Metro a few years back,totally crap car.Apart from that they finally seem to have shaken their appalling reliability/build quality issues of a few years back and RIDE magazine did a 1000 mile trip on one alongside an SV1000 with no problems.By way of comparison the same mag gave up on a long-term test Buell prior to that because it was forever going back to the importers for repair,not a good sign when it`s actually the importer`s bike,and a used one broke down terminally before it even got to them for a used bike comparison.Seems from what I`ve heard that the older ones are either brilliant or a pile of troublesome crap with nothing in between,hopefully they`ve cracked it now,I`d love one if only I could be sure it`d stay in one piece in everyday use,certainly looks the part.

So far Moko, the Buell seems to be going good but then again I've only had it for about a couple of weeks. But in that time no real issues as yet (knock on wood). Build quality is great, up there with the Japanese machines I reckon. Shot over to Taupo (read post above) and stopped off at Macs for a breather. Parked up in a car park across from Macs and sat at a table looking straight at my baby. Still gets the looks. One guy stops off with his family in their Mercedes. Pulls up, helps his missus and mum-in-law out the car then points them in the direction of the entrance then shoots over to scope my baby. Spent a good 4 mins looking her over the perv (hahaha). Am enjoying the ride immensely. BTW we also have the 05 CityX. Hotazz see through panels.

ching

FzerozeroT
20th December 2004, 22:00
ching, me and a mechanic were talking about tyres after you had yours changed and what cameup is that on thier original tyres buells seem to get a lot of punctures, usually same as you, 2 or 3 plugs then a tyre change but no problems after that(can White Trash confirm?) don't know if it is a thin wall on OEM or a buell suspension/drive trait

White trash
21st December 2004, 07:00

Yes you do.

White trash
21st December 2004, 07:02
ching, me and a mechanic were talking about tyres after you had yours changed and what cameup is that on thier original tyres buells seem to get a lot of punctures, usually same as you, 2 or 3 plugs then a tyre change but no problems after that(can White Trash confirm?) don't know if it is a thin wall on OEM or a buell suspension/drive trait

The D207Ys were developed espeacially for Buell (no shit!) and have VERY light carcasses. Basically to assist unsprung weight.

As a rear tyre will only last about 2500km anyway, you shouldn't have more than a couple of punctures in the tyres life time.

ching_ching
21st December 2004, 08:16

Hi Foot,

Yeah the spannerman over in Taupo (Chris Mitchell) was adamant that it was a plug for a puncture and it was on his recommendation that I got new rear rubber.

AMPS
21st December 2004, 13:20
Are Buells going to be the next cult bike?
Starting to sound like it.
Lou

vifferman
21st December 2004, 13:24
V. nice write-up, Dr Ching. :niceone:

Have you chick-tested it yet?

ching_ching
21st December 2004, 15:39
V. nice write-up, Dr Ching. :niceone:

Have you chick-tested it yet?

Not yet. Have yet to design a "strategy". (Fucked if I know what that's gonna be!) Or could just let the technology do it's thing. :spudwhat:

ching_ching
21st December 2004, 15:45
Are Buells going to be the next cult bike?
Starting to sound like it.
Lou

Interesting notion Lou (AMPS). Spannerman Chris Mitchell said that if he ever had a choice of bike to buy in the Harley / Buell range, he'd buy a Buell. Not too sure what his personal reasoning was behind that, didn't ask him.
BTW came out of the chemist in Taupo after getting some digi pics printed off of our Unit Pissup last week and saw a German couple (European anyway and on their OE) scoping the bike. Yakked, commented on the front disc rotor and the engine in the belly. Slapped my hat on and slipped away. Looked back behind me and he had a smile on his dial (Dis good YAH!!) Danke Shoen!! :headbang:

FzerozeroT
21st December 2004, 21:01
Yes you do.

and am i right with it being a pretty tight corner, just feels a long way to the ground vs length of wheelbase vs weight

White trash
22nd December 2004, 07:11
Not really. Pretty fast and you can really slam the bike on its ear late. The 9R I had was without a doubt the best handlig bike I have ever ridden.

AMPS
22nd December 2004, 08:37
When you think about it, Buells may not have stratospheric power outputs and do a gazillion km/h. But they have major, low-down torque to fire you from corner to corner. And all our fun, less Policed roads are the tight ones. So you can have a ball and protect your licence at the same time.
Lou

FzerozeroT
22nd December 2004, 17:40
can you point us to a setup guide for the newer buells?

avgas
22nd December 2004, 18:16
sounds like my kind of bike. What is the top speed of these things anyone know?

thehollowmen
22nd December 2004, 21:10
rather enjoyed the little read...
incidentally you didn't say where the pillion footpegs were... they seem to be the best placed in most of the motorcycles I've looked at recently..
Good to know you're enjoying a new baby ;-)
Kudos

ching_ching
22nd December 2004, 22:28
sounds like my kind of bike. What is the top speed of these things anyone know?

Haven't tested it... yet! :crazy:
Last marking on the speedo says 260ks but methinks a bit faster with race kit on.

ching

ching_ching
22nd December 2004, 22:34
rather enjoyed the little read...
incidentally you didn't say where the pillion footpegs were... they seem to be the best placed in most of the motorcycles I've looked at recently..
Good to know you're enjoying a new baby ;-)
Kudos

The usual. Passenger pegs attached to brackets that afix to frame / seating. Easily removed too. The original owner removed and put them in the carton... along with the original exhaust system. :spudwhat: :eek:

ching