PDA

View Full Version : Removing packrack??

wezo
14th April 2008, 16:13
Have purchased bike with Packrack on it. Don't need it on bike all the time. How do you remove them. There are two round screws on each bar which appear to be holding rack onto mouting bars. These screws have holes in the sides (hard to explain) Is there a speacial tool to unscrew these?

TerminalAddict
14th April 2008, 16:14
yes .. a pack rack remove tool ;)

or an allen key that fits the hole?

Kwaka14
14th April 2008, 16:14
There is a special tool, but a 6" nail will work just fine.

98tls
14th April 2008, 16:15
Supposed to be a pin thing you insert into holes and unscrew and then lift the rack out,just find something that fits.

Usarka
14th April 2008, 16:16
Yeah, i just use a screw that fits the hole.

Losen the inside screw first, then the outer one.

assuming its a ventura, when you take the rack off you are supposed to use a "grab rail" which fits into the holes, supposedly to keep everything in line.

mstriumph
14th April 2008, 16:20
dammit!!!

here you were, asking a question i could actually ANSWER and wot happens?? the packrats get in before me :(

mutter mutter ....

98tls
14th April 2008, 16:25
Actually if you dont use it much at all its real easy just to remove the bars at the side as well..ones the actual rack slides into,from memory on the TL it was just 4 bolts and the unsightly thing was removed.

BadCompany
14th April 2008, 18:00
Actually if you dont use it much at all its real easy just to remove the bars at the side as well..ones the actual rack slides into,from memory on the TL it was just 4 bolts and the unsightly thing was removed.

Not unless you have the original bolts to hold the clippy things in place.

Snakeman
25th April 2008, 11:08
Actually if you dont use it much at all its real easy just to remove the bars at the side as well...

If you are talking about a SV650 and a Ventura Pack-Rack, then unfortunately it is not real easy as I found out a couple of years ago when I helped a friend remove hers' and it took me quite a while to do it with having to remove a fair bit to access the bolts on that bike.

I don't like the rack on my 1100 and ended up leaving the thing off all together the last time I removed the side rods, as I have to remove the tail section of the bike each time I put it on or off and it just takes too long.
Whenever I need to carry a pack these days I just use the 1300 as that only take between about 5 to 10 minutes depending on how slow I move in removing the seat and undoing the 6 bolts (4 of them for the grab rail) that are required to bolt the pack rails on and then slot the rack on and tighten that up.
If I really want to be on the 11, then I am limited by strapping a bag to the seat, but mostly just take the 13 whenever I want to go away or carry the pack or packs.

If you don't want the pack frame on there all the time, my suggestion would be to purchase the grab-rail or the mini pack-frame that fits in where the large frame is. They both have grab rails for your pillion and the mini pack-frame allows you to strap small things to it or even buy the ventura mini bag that fit on there and allows you to carry a small amount of gear like wet weathers etc.