PDA

View Full Version : West Coast - Old Christchurch Road

Dino
14th April 2008, 20:56
My brother and I are having a quick ride in the south island next month and I was hopeing someone could tell me if the Old Christchurch Road is sealed or gravel and if it is suitable for a road bike - turns off from the Otira Highway 73 and comes out onto Kumara Junction Highway 6 just north of the Arahura River.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=turiwhate&daddr=-42.727344,171.160812+to:Kaihinu&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&sll=-42.657745,171.151315&sspn=0.237336,0.410614&ie=UTF8&z=11

Thought we may be able to give this road a go for a change, or are we better off to stay on the main road.

Thanks

T.W.R
14th April 2008, 21:12
:no: not tar-sealed unfortunately (wasn't the last time I went through there about 8yrs ago, it's fairly remote). But it is a a nice piece of country through there :niceone:

AllanB
14th April 2008, 21:23
Big chunky gravel when I looked last year.

To be honest the West Coast South Island sealed roads are quite possibly the best kept motorcycle secret in NZ. Surprisingly well kept along the coast and up and down round and round. I do not appear to find police over there :innocent: if you get my drift.

Scenic (if you slow down) HELL yeah.

Mind you I'm talking nice sunny :sunny: days - when it rains it buckets down!

You do need to watch for camper vans.

Dino
14th April 2008, 22:22
Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Big chunky gravel doesn't do it for me so we may just stick to the main road and have another look at the round about with the train tracks through it.

Hope the weather is nice to us although going in May we could be asking for trouble.

Thanks again.

Jantar
14th April 2008, 22:30
Although gravel, it is rideable on a road bike. Stromfrau and I did it two up on Suzuki GS1200SS with full luggage.

Smokin
15th April 2008, 19:34
Why dont you come over the lewis pass to westport and then make your way down the coast, Fantastic ride through the gorge and down the coast road.

TimeOut
15th April 2008, 21:48
Why dont you come over the lewis pass to westport and then make your way down the coast, Fantastic ride through the gorge and down the coast road.

Hi
We did the Lewis At Labour weekend, agreed it's a fantastic ride. We were going to try the Arthurs then down the coast for a change.

Biggles2000
11th May 2008, 14:04
The main road is however a great ride. Lots of sweping corners and small straights. The main road is really a "B" road so you won't be missing anything.
There will only be 25% of the traffic on the lewis pass unless the wild food festival is on.

rphenix
11th May 2008, 15:09
Big chunky gravel when I looked last year.

To be honest the West Coast South Island sealed roads are quite possibly the best kept motorcycle secret in NZ. Surprisingly well kept along the coast and up and down round and round. I do not appear to find police over there :innocent: if you get my drift.

I grew up around the west coast, the surprising thing moving to Auckland was watching roadworkers take months to do what seemed like small jobs I guess part of it must be the extra traffic, around the coast they would reseal a complete strip of road in a day and be on to the next job.

As for police with the exception of the buller gorge (Nelson side) your sweet heck you can probably ask the locals when the Police are on shift working the roads and not in stations.

flyingbrick
1st June 2008, 17:28
The old man owns some land at the end of old chch road IIRC. Its a sweet track- had my 4wd GTIR on it a few years back- was fun.

I miss chch and the west coast :(

MIXONE
1st June 2008, 17:35
Ah the West Coast roads from Karamea to Haast and lots of in betweens.Pure heaven and I miss them so.:crybaby: