PDA

View Full Version : Commuting on a ZX-7R

Coldkiwi
20th August 2003, 18:09
Ok, so its a small % of a small % of the populace but i figure someone here may know the answer or have some experience of commuting on a ZX-7R (1997 onwards). I'm looking around for an upgrade and the 7R is one potential candidate but whatever it is needs to be reasonably puntable through traffic as well a good hack on the open road. Anyone here been commuting medium or long term on one?

advice appreciated!:niceone:

Andrew
20th August 2003, 20:51
How about trade u my RGV for ur 6R? You'll be able to go through really small gaps and still have a good time on the open road. Go on you know u want to:niceone:

aff-man
21st August 2003, 09:14
a guy at tech has one if he ever comes in (i think he is either a dry weather rider or has binned it) i'll ask see what he says

jrandom
21st August 2003, 10:20
I work with a 7R owner, although he's barely a weekend rider ATM. We might be moving premises soon, though, at which point he'd be switching to commuting on his bike. I'll ask him what he thinks of it for getting-through-traffic purposes...

aff-man
21st August 2003, 10:53
The traffic won't seem so bad if your on this :D

bluninja
21st August 2003, 11:36
CK, I commuted for 5 years on a ZX9R and had no problems other than the normal sportsbike issues of not enough steering lock when in nose to tail traffic.....and guzzles the fuel compared to a real commuter. A bit of a pain in icy weather or cold wet roads with a smearing of diesel as the bike can spin up easily.

TTFN

Coldkiwi
21st August 2003, 12:37
cheers guys... anyone else know?

the 6R is ok for commuting but I wouldn't want anything that was much less agile.. and I know the 7R has quite a long wheelbase. I'll be going round the stores soon to see if I can test ride one but any voice of experience would be damn helpful

jrandom
23rd August 2003, 10:00
Talked to the chappie here with a 7R. He commuted from the shore to town for a couple of years on it. He says it did the job fine, no worries.

Bloody nice bike it is too. Kwak green looks a bit pansy though CK, time to get a bike with a proper paint job, innit? :D

'97 was the golden year for 7Rs, they haven't changed much since then so sounds like yer right on the button. You want one of the NZ originals rather than an import if you can find one.

If you're after a 750 four though you could probably get one of the recent (post-99?) fuel-injected GSXR750s for not too much more than a low-K 7R, and the word is that it's a better bike... but then I suppose you're firmly on the Heavy Industries bandwagon by now :p

750Y
23rd August 2003, 15:04
ZX7R? drool drool... these bikes are a classic waiting to happen.

jrandom
23rd August 2003, 15:29
Originally posted by 750Y
ZX7R? drool drool... these bikes are a classic waiting to happen.

'swot I've heard said before. Can't understand it myself. Sure, it's a competent 750 with a fairly bulletproof (carburetted) engine, but they're heavier and slower than the latest offerings, and in the end it's just another Japanese sprotbike that's slower than the ones made the year after it, or the year after that...

Haven't ridden a 7R, mind (sat on a stationary one and blipped the engine a bit for half a minute once, and the riding position *still* gave me sore shoulders :D) so maybe there's some magic going on there that I don't know about.

Good solid choice for a serious track bike, I suppose, if you had money to burn on such things.

aff-man
25th August 2003, 11:19
maybe an older 750RR ???

bluninja
25th August 2003, 12:20
CK the 1998 C1 version of the ZX9 is 20 kg lighter than the equivalent ZX7 (P3) and has a shorter wheelbase. So why would you want the ZX7 ?

bikerboy
25th August 2003, 12:53
CK there is a gorgeous ZX7 R? on bikepoint, private sale, low k's 98 i think, but its black not green. Awesome for around $7000.

Don't listen to the doom sayers, get what ya want man!:niceone:

Big Dog
25th August 2003, 13:45
As a larger than average rider I much prefer the Kawas to equivilent Yam/Suz/Hon. they just handle so much better with 150+ kgs on the back. Mind you the fact that the extra mass is all down low may help.

Kawasakis Rock.

I had My Gpx 250 for 120,000 Kms.
Minimal servicing (Read that poor student lucky if it saw a oil change once a year) never broke down except snapped chain's -from rarking too much-and a flat battery.

If I could find a woman that sexy AND that reliable I would marry her in a heartbeat.

As to the 7r ? Prefer the nines and the 6's myself.

Both handle better.

But all good choices, you gotta hear the intake howl to understand.:love:
Ciao, Big Dog

jrandom
25th August 2003, 14:18
Originally posted by bikerboy
CK there is a gorgeous ZX7 R? on bikepoint, private sale, low k's 98 i think, but its black not green. Awesome for around $7000.

Phwwwooooooarrrrr. Just found the ad meself. That bike in black is meeeean. I still reckon Kwak Green looks gay, anyway :D

Honestly... if I had the dosh spare and was looking for a bike, I don't think the intellectual objections to a 7R would stop me paying that guy a visit :love: Can't go wrong at that price.

Coldkiwi
25th August 2003, 14:39
yeah.. i've got his details and 4 others last week :) I'm just trying to make myself sell one (or both ) of my other bikes before I get in further debt with a third!

hmm.. you make a good point about the ZX9's Si. If i can just find one with a slim tank that I can get my legs around I won't be able to resist!

jrandom
25th August 2003, 14:48
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
If i can just find one with a slim tank that I can get my legs around I won't be able to resist!

Now now, *behave* :p

Coldkiwi
25th August 2003, 17:27
you have a dirty dirty mind!

aff-man
26th August 2003, 10:56
He just says you *love* your bikes:p :p :p

Maybe the 9r is the way to go

Coldkiwi
26th August 2003, 12:11
mmmm.. that 9R picture makes me weak at the knees!

jrandom, I completely disagree about the kwaka green being pansy. its just envy from suzi, yam and honda owners who don't identify with a colour :P ! but you're right... I am a firm kasawaki heavy industries fan!! :) people that make gigantic ships, aircraft and huge earthmovers (not to mention 300kph+ bikes) are all right by me!

aff-man
26th August 2003, 12:15
Hey CK there are some really cool pics of the 9r on bikepics. There is a silver one but i can't downsize it at tech. I am going into mt eden today don't they have one there might have a bit of a look around. Here is another

aff-man
26th August 2003, 12:20
Plus some specs if you want them http://www.koups.com/sales/kawasaki/specs/2002/ZX900f1.htm

Redstar
26th August 2003, 22:08
I use the zxr400 most days to commute and there a dude goes north on a ZX7 we never wave but thats only because the combined differential speed equates to 300klms / hr
theres also a Suzuki 250 like a TU chap with a Hi vis vest I wave but hes focused on like terminal combined speed drops to 200klms/hr and Im doin most of it.
what say we swap bikes at lonely creek road. then we get the best of both worlds..deep!

Big Dog
26th August 2003, 22:12
All these beautiful bikes and still no ride for me:(

Ah well one day many paydays from now!:p Or perhaps a lotto ticket:rolleyes:
Ciao

SPman
26th August 2003, 23:54
Originally posted by Big Dog
All these beautiful bikes and still no ride for me:(

Ah well one day many paydays from now!:p Or perhaps a lotto ticket:rolleyes:
Ciao

They now have no deposit nd 5 yrs to pay on new bikes...........:D

Big Dog
27th August 2003, 19:10
5 years is longer than I ever commited living in the same suburb.

I don't understand how people make a five year commitment to a ride?