PDA

View Full Version : SH20 speed test zone

dralex
17th April 2008, 18:44
Does anyone know what the signs on SH20 about a 5km Speed Test Zone (or something similar) mean?

They are red square plates at the beginning and the end, and round plates marking each of the 5kms.

The first one is just after where the road splits to get to the airport. The last one is where SH20 ends in the South, after the Puhinui Rd exit.

What?
17th April 2008, 19:49
It's for testing speedodometer accuracy - the signs are exactly 1000 metres apart over 5 Km. Checking odometer is simple, but speedo requires constant speed and a stopwatch.
There's quite a few of these zones scattered about.

skidMark
17th April 2008, 19:52
It's for testing speedodometer accuracy - the signs are exactly 1000 metres apart over 5 Km. Checking odometer is simple, but speedo requires constant speed and a stopwatch.
consistant on the limiter of a thou at 299 orrr?

dralex
17th April 2008, 21:55
Cool, thanks. Hmm, I wonder who can keep his bike at a constant speed. Even for just one km :innocent:

firefighter
17th April 2008, 21:57
yeah pretty hard to get it right, but I think it's more of a rough test.......

skidMark
17th April 2008, 22:03
yeah pretty hard to get it right, but I think it's more of a rough test.......

well i think i would use it as more of a speed trap than a speed test as such :P

Boob Johnson
18th April 2008, 17:38
What he said. I believe its known as the "Ramarama straight".Tis a great stretch of road that, super smooth & mostly straight. I think they actually used a completely different method/material to build that stretch. When I bought the RF home I got the opportunity to stretch her legs (ie no cars around). About as safe a place as you will find on a public road given the right circumstances.

xwhatsit
18th April 2008, 22:53
What he said. I believe its known as the "Ramarama straight".

This one's on SH20, not SH1. Starts just after the Mangere Bridge southbound onramp I think. When I'm heading south I take that road, and it's usually at some ungodly hour of the night (hence no traffic), so I've tested it with all three speedos and they've all been pretty good with odometer/trip meter -- but actual speed reading has varied. My most recent speedo -- a little chrome Daytona unit from Japan, not OEM anything -- is almost dead-on perfect.

sAsLEX
18th April 2008, 22:56
What he said. I believe its known as the "Ramarama straight".Tis a great stretch of road that, super smooth & mostly straight. I think they actually used a completely different method/material to build that stretch. When I bought the RF home I got the opportunity to stretch her legs (ie no cars around). About as safe a place as you will find on a public road given the right circumstances.

Hence why its so heavily policed..... opps no its policed as people tend to go a little faster, not cause its dangerous silly me!

Swoop
23rd April 2008, 20:22
What he said. I believe its known as the "Ramarama straight"... About as safe a place as you will find on a public road given the right circumstances.
You couldn't get much more wrong... unfortunately.
Extremely heavy presence around there with laser, radar, marked and also unmarked plod.
The northern "curve" just as you turn onto the straight, is a place where a camera van occasionally sits.
The overbridge half way along... You will find the plod sitting off to the side of the bridge with lasers. Always check the onramp on your side of the road, as they will shoot you in the rear and chase if necessary.
Top of the Bombays (heading north). The onramp from the BP service station/McD's. Plod will sit on this onramp quite near the top and well into the bushes.
I've even seen a camera van half way along the open straight part. Just getting those unobservant fools.

You have been warned!:rolleyes:

Boob Johnson
23rd April 2008, 21:06
You couldn't get much more wrong... unfortunately.
Extremely heavy presence around there with laser, radar, marked and also unmarked plod.
The northern "curve" just as you turn onto the straight, is a place where a camera van occasionally sits.
The overbridge half way along... You will find the plod sitting off to the side of the bridge with lasers. Always check the onramp on your side of the road, as they will shoot you in the rear and chase if necessary.
Top of the Bombays (heading north). The onramp from the BP service station/McD's. Plod will sit on this onramp quite near the top and well into the bushes.
I've even seen a camera van half way along the open straight part. Just getting those unobservant fools.

You have been warned!:rolleyes:
I lived in Auckland for over 10 years from the early 90's and have yet to get a fine on that stretch. Reason why? Is as I said, I pick n choose my times well (obviously) :msn-wink:

Go warn some fools as ive never had any issue on that stretch :msn-wink:

sAsLEX
23rd April 2008, 21:21
Plod will sit on this onramp quite near the top and well into the bushes.

R+

Cost me 170 that one.