PDA

View Full Version : Anyone free?

ital916
17th April 2008, 19:27
Hey guys and gals!

Well the fixing of my next bike is going okay, after spending a day fixing hosing and the such in the carb the bike is running a little better but still is gutless. So tomorrow new spark plugs go in and a compression test needs to be done. Ixion has said it is okay to borrow his compression thingy but is anyone keen to come over and show me how it is done? Or is it that simple that a layman like I can operate it. Man one thing I have learnt is you learn lots when rebuilding bikes! I will be home in the arvo from two onwards. Once the compression test is done, if it is a compression problem I will have to get to the root of that. On a bright note, it is kinda fun fixing her up, learn by doing I guess. :woohoo:

Drider

Macstar
17th April 2008, 20:37
bike is running a little better but still is gutless. Drider

It's a 250...:scooter:

ital916
17th April 2008, 20:40
Na, this is way too gutless, even for a 250, stephen reckons there is a comp prob or the carbs just need mega clean out.

Ixion
17th April 2008, 20:45
Quick check you can do in the meantime. Remove the spark plug cap from the front cylinder. Start it up (if it will) . Try riding it, it will of course be gutless, because it is running on only one cylinder. But it should start, and be rideable. Note HOW gutless.

Now put the fornt plug cap back on and remove the rear one. Repeat, note how gutless.

Compare the gutlessnesses. They should be the same

You cna do that right now, only take 10 minutes

ital916
17th April 2008, 20:52
Quick check you can do in the meantime. Remove the spark plug cap from the front cylinder. Start it up (if it will) . Try riding it, it will of course be gutless, because it is running on only one cylinder. But it should start, and be rideable. Note HOW gutless.

Now put the fornt plug cap back on and remove the rear one. Repeat, note how gutless.

Compare the gutlessnesses. They should be the same

You cna do that right now, only take 10 minutes

Will have to do it in the morning les, bike has no headlight and mirrors at the moment *have been removed already for repair*, but I will def crank out of the house at like six am and give it a go. If it run worse on one cylinder, I guess thats the problematic cylinder.

Squiggles
17th April 2008, 20:54
Rear will be down on the front :P

HungusMaximist
17th April 2008, 20:54
So the bike is at yours at the moment?

Ixion
17th April 2008, 20:56
Yep. And if it runs no worse on one cylinder than with both (or not a lot worse) than that is very useful information.

BTW, is there a "last known good" state for this bike? That is, is there someone who can say , "Oh I rode it/saw it running at such a time, and it was running well then" ?

There's a difference between troubleshooting a bike that was running well last week, and now nothings changed (apparently ! howe often have I heard that!) and now it won't run properly; and a bike where no-one really knows when it last ran , let alone well.

ital916
17th April 2008, 21:03
Jacko said that he ran the bike before and it wasn't gutless, then he ran it bout two weeks or so before I picked it up and then it had the problem. I will double check with jacko. I'm not worried, I probably should be but worrying isn't for me lol.

ital916
17th April 2008, 21:05
So the bike is at yours at the moment?

Yeah it's at mine mate.

ital916
17th April 2008, 21:09
I'm gonna crash, but will test the bike in the morning and then buy new plugs and install them when I get home.